BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Could we ever get a 10 plus weeks at Number 1 track again?, Your thoughts
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
MyKindOfLove
post Apr 16 2015, 04:33 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Regular
Group: Banned
Member No.: 21,030
   No Gallery Pics

2007 was the last time we had 10 weeker at #1 which was Rihanna with "Umbrella". It's unlikely Rihanna will ever equal that feat again, but can you see it happening again?

The early 1990s it was the norm - Bryan Adams had 16 weeks, Whitney with 10, Wet Wet Wet's epic 15 weeks stay.

Likely to happen or unlikely with music available on tap now?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
danG
post Apr 16 2015, 04:44 PM
Post #2
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

If 'Uptown Funk' couldn't do it I don't think anything will in the near future if ever. As slow as the UK chart is it's still got a long way to go to match US Billboard levels of staleness

+Quote Post
fchd
post Apr 16 2015, 04:47 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 6,639
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(MyKindOfLove @ Apr 16 2015, 05:33 PM) *
2007 was the last time we had 10 weeker at #1 which was Rihanna with "Umbrella". It's unlikely Rihanna will ever equal that feat again, but can you see it happening again?

The early 1990s it was the norm - Bryan Adams had 16 weeks, Whitney with 10, Wet Wet Wet's epic 15 weeks stay.

Likely to happen or unlikely with music available on tap now?

Hardly "the norm", just those 3 cases in the entire 90s and they were the first for over 35 years. I'd love to see a real long running Number 1, just imagine how some on here would get more and more angry about it as the weeks ticked on, some were even getting bored by Jess Glynne getting 3 weeks

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Apr 16 2015, 05:02 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

QUOTE(► ▲ N @ Apr 16 2015, 05:44 PM) *
If 'Uptown Funk' couldn't do it I don't think anything will in the near future if ever. As slow as the UK chart is it's still got a long way to go to match US Billboard levels of staleness

I don't know, 'Uptown Funk' probably could have had it not been for the X Factor winner and if it was On Air/On Sale.

Then with 'Umbrella', it got a lot of its weeks at #1 due to lack of competition judging from how low some of its sales were. Long runners at #1 usually have some sort of luck involved so it's kind of hard to predict. I don't see why it couldn't happen in the near future, especially with streaming becoming more and more dominant.

+Quote Post
Mangø
post Apr 16 2015, 05:05 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 151

Maybe not a 10 weeker but we could easily get a 7/8 weeker, especially with streaming now included.

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post Apr 16 2015, 05:25 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

I think this could quite easily happen this decade. Especially with a huge artist in the middle of an era. Mark Ronson had done nothing chart-wise for years then returned with this Behemoth so someone like Ed Sheeran could easily manage that & more.

And as Mango said with streaming only getting bigger & bigger its even more likely to happen.

+Quote Post
scratchy23
post Apr 16 2015, 05:43 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 19,638
   No Gallery Pics

Easily. The charts are slowing down big time, partly thanks to streaming. We've only had around 6 number ones so far this year as many have had multiple weeks at the top. Last year there was pretty much a different one every week. I think in the next two years there'll definitely be a 10+ week runner.

+Quote Post
Ethan
post Apr 16 2015, 07:24 PM
Post #8
3:23
Member No.: 5,269
   No Gallery Pics

Only 6 singles have managed to spend 10 or more consecutive weeks at No1 since the conception of the singles chart in November 1952~

16 Bryan Adams ~ (Everything I Do) I Do It For You (1991)
15 Wet Wet Wet ~ Love Is All Around (1994)
11 Slim Whitman ~ Rosie Marie (1954)
10 David Whitfield ~ Cara Mia (1955)
10 Whitney Houston ~ I Will Always Love You (1992/3)
10 Rihanna ~ Umbrella (2007)

[Although Frankie Laine's 'I Believe' managed 18 (9+6+3) nonconsecutive weeks in 1953]

So >10 week No1's are as rare as hen's teeth...

+Quote Post
GTH
post Apr 16 2015, 07:37 PM
Post #9
Gareth T H
Member No.: 10,597
   No Gallery Pics

It is definitely plausible and as streaming gets more popular we are going to see more long running number ones, but as has been said it takes a good deal of luck for a song to have that much consistency with sales. With Rihanna it was a low sales period and also at the same time as all the wettest summer in ages with all the flooding as well so it got a lot more coverage as well from people saying the song was cursing our weather.

I wouldn't say it has to come from a big act though as suggested, if anything that can hinder its long term performance as it gets very frontloaded from fans getting as soon as possible. When it is an artist less known then less people are going to be aware of it straight away so its popularity can build as the weeks go on rather than getting massive sales in the first few weeks and then dropping quick. Gnarls Barkley didn't need a large fanbase to get their long running #1, which I am sure would have been a 10+ week run if they hadn't chose to take the single off the shelves.

It will never be like america with their runs as long as airplay is not included in the official chart (and long may it stay that way).

+Quote Post
TNSEL AND WIRED™
post Apr 16 2015, 08:12 PM
Post #10
controversial biege i mean relic of buzzjack
Member No.: 21,005

I would've thought streaming would help it happen again thinking.gif

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Apr 16 2015, 09:26 PM
Post #11
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

“Rather Be” spent 10 weeks at number 1 on the streaming chart (11 in total), I think at some point a big enough song will come along.

+Quote Post
BillyH
post Apr 17 2015, 09:01 AM
Post #12
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 6,614
   No Gallery Pics

It needs to be a properly huge, viral, talking point of a hit released at a time when there's absolutely no major competition for months, one that builds its audience over time and then eventually its run at #1 becoming a news story in itself. It's similar if you look at the movie charts in this country, there's only been two really massive long running box-office #1s in the last 25 years - 'Titanic' from January to April 1998 (13 weeks at #1) and 'Avatar' from December 2009 to February 2010 (nine weeks). Both, while on release, were absolutely massive - you would be asked if you'd seen it yet, and if you replied "No" asked why not!

As mentioned, 'Uptown Funk' could well have done it had it been released a few weeks earlier. It needs a lot of luck and very low competition.

+Quote Post
ThePensmith
post Apr 17 2015, 09:43 AM
Post #13
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

I think, as others have said, with streaming gaining more traction this is bound to happen at some point - just need the right song and the right campaign to do it. However Rihanna was something of a 'sleeper' track that gained notoriety - and then ultimately ubiquity - the longer her reign (pardon the pun) continued so it would need to be a track of this nature to achieve such a feat.

iTunes and the concept of downloading music 10 years ago wasn't as accessible as it is now. Spotify, which has already been around for 6 years is in a similar position and I'm sure in 2025 we'll all be looking back not imagining our lives without it (see also the introduction of the global release date and new chart date on Friday) so I think once there is a track that does, as you say, spend 10+ weeks at number 1 that'll open the floodgates and it'll be like 1999 or 2009 all over again. If there's one thing 19 of my 25 years on earth spent keeping up with pop music has taught me, it's that everything's cyclical.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:02 PM