BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Emma Bunton - 'Free Me', 2004 • 2nd Album
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
schizo_spice
post Oct 14 2020, 08:27 PM
Post #21
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group: Members
Member No.: 39,574
   No Gallery Pics

You Are gets a solid 9 from me. wub.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Babyboy
post Oct 14 2020, 10:36 PM
Post #22
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 39,611
   No Gallery Pics

I think it is on Spotify UK.

+Quote Post
Chemistry
post Oct 15 2020, 12:07 PM
Post #23
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 106,588
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Spice Girls Net @ Oct 13 2020, 05:30 PM) *
Nice that Emma has also promoted its anniversary on Instagram with a swipe up link to Spotify, Apple Music and iTunes clap.gif that’s what we need more of

Just wish it was made available worldwide sad.gif

This felt like such an exciting era for her, the whole 60's vibe suited her SO well and Maybe was the icing on the cake. While it did do very well, especially when we are talking about a solo Spice song in 2004 when most of the others were flopping, I still feel it should have been much bigger. Definitely one of her stand-out songs, but then again, the whole record was just very pleasant. I have always loved the artwork as well, just a very exciting era in general.

+Quote Post
sammy01
post Oct 15 2020, 09:33 PM
Post #24
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 9,988
   No Gallery Pics

Maybe was only 1 cd wasn't it that surely cost her a top 5 placing.

+Quote Post
tommie
post Oct 15 2020, 09:43 PM
Post #25
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Banned
Member No.: 8,073

QUOTE(sammy01 @ Oct 15 2020, 09:33 PM) *
Maybe was only 1 cd wasn't it that surely cost her a top 5 placing.

What's maddening is that Free Me, I'll Be There and Crickets all had two cds and for some reason Maybe didn't! It's not quite as infuriating as Look At Me only having one cd, but it's close.

+Quote Post
Mr.X
post Oct 15 2020, 10:46 PM
Post #26
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 39,587
   No Gallery Pics

I mean, where do we even start with this album... I stand it so hard, I even listen to it nowadays regularly. And even when I go for a long period of time without listening to it, I always come back and spend time with it.

For me, it's the album that reignited my faith for music by a Spice Girl. It's a really well polished piece of work, very unique and with a sense of identity that really shines. Even the lesser tracks flow well and make sense here. It's just very cohesive. wub.gif

Free Me: 10/10. In hinsight, it's a brilliant first single. It's gorgeous and it has definitely aged really well. It sounded gorgeous last Christmas when she did it at Albert Hall. She really shines with this song and the production and the vocals are just stunning. It's no wonder there was a lot of chatter about this sounding like a Bond theme, as it's really charming, sexy and well, freeing! A classic.

Maybe: 11/10. A perfect single. Just fantastic, no matter what angle you look at it. It's perfect pop music, fun and edgy, and always surprising. The lyrics are pure pop and it's so unique. I do wish it had done better in the charts, as it deserved it. I guess just 1 CD did hurt it, but even then it deserved to be #1. So sad that the public and radio's aversion to Spice Girls related music by then was so low, as I think it hindered her changes.

I mean, the whole campaign was stunning. The video? A CLASSIC! The promo performances? CASSICS ALL OF THEM! The styling? A CLASSIC! The song? A CLASSIC!!

The best Solo single ever released, and definitly Top3 Spice Girls! cheer.gif

I'll Be There: 10/10, a beautiful, sensual and quite fun track. The message is pure and simple: friendship. And I LOVE the video, it's so cool and chic and she looks really at the top of her game: care free and with an edge! For me, this really cemented her vintage aesthetic, for the package of the single as a whole and its promo were such throwbacks!

Bonus points to some of the performances, where she blended some nice vintage 'aesthetics' with what would otherwise be a quite normal performance.

Extra bonus points for that cute interaction with Victoria on Top of the Pops where they introduced each other singles. A cute moment in Spice history!

Extra bonus points x 100: This single provided us with one of Baby Bunton's best songs: So Long. What a gem, Im so glad we got to hear this. A shame it wasnt on the album, as I can see it standing really nicely along a Delux Edition of Free Me!

Tomorrow: Cute, charming, fun. This is Emma at her best: she sounds great, the lyrics are playful and the production is rich and surprising at times. 10/10

Breathing: I mean, what I can say. It's gorgeous, sofisticated, sexy and fun at the same time. Production wise? Perfect. Singing? Perfect. The lyrics? Poetry.It's perfect. It always bummbed me out that Bunton never released this as a single, as it would have been perfect. Just stunning. What a song... 11/10

Critckets Sing for AnnaMaria: Listen, I dont care what you all say. It's a 10. OUT OF 10. Deal with it. You wish your favs could be this fun and carefree. I know Bunton has overdone it with the covers over her career, but this is her at her best. It's fun, surprising and and acquired taste. I BOP AND STAN!

And the video? FUN! The promo? FUN! The performances? FUN!

No Sign Of Life: And she does it again in the same album. There are three absolutely perfect songs in this album and this is the third one, for sure. So gorgeous, and full of drama. I love me moody Bunton, and for me, this is the sister song to So Long in a way. She sound HUNGRY in this as well, like she really fought in this song.

Who The Hell Are You: Cute bop, fun track! I was a bit dissapointed that a bside had made it onto the album instead of new songs, but ultimately, it fits really well here and I can see why she chose to keep it here. A solid 8/10.

Lay Your Love on Me: Love it. It's quirky and fun, with some by now standard Bunton quicky lyrics. It's definitely one of the lesser tracks on the album. Again, production wise, stunning. And super fun. A solid 8/10.

Amazing: Wow. Emma invented Despacito w00t.gif Joking aside, this is just tunning. I know people dont often rate it, but I do love it. It's quite sensual and they sound gorgeous together. The lyrics are probably the worst on the album, but they work. No-one knew Luis Fonsi at the time, and I remember everyone was a bit 'who that?!' but whatever, it's cute. A solid 9/10.

You Are: I feel like You Are gets a bad rap because it comes after bop central of 9 absolute bops. But it stands on its own, for me. It's a gorgeous pop track that is uplifting and puts you on a great mood!

Something So Beautiful: Is it bad that I always prefered the rougher version that showed up on the promo version of the album? It's a perfect song and it would have been a 11/10 if it was that version here. But this is also stunning, a gorgeous song that lives up to its name. Super dreamy and Emma sounds divine in it... a solid 10.

THE ERA

Just absolute fun and always surprising. Each single stood on its own whilst simulaneously really representing a cohesive varity that permeated the album. From the various performances she did, to the aesthetics of the album and its singles. All just stunning. What a pallet of colour, fun and creativity.

Personally, I LOVE the Pink Cover and always dream of having it in large vinyl. It's super fun, crazy and somehow really on point with its references and style. The type of pink is also super retro and cool! There was also a fan-made, rougher version which I also really loved (but cant find it anymore)...

Overall? A stand out! My fav Spice Related release.

Hope Bunton comes back one day with more of this. Not a replica, nor a Free Me part II. We had that with the originals in My Happy Place. I would like something as good and surprising as this, something that stands beautifully on its own apart from the rest, like this does.

heart.gif

+Quote Post
Mr.X
post Oct 15 2020, 10:54 PM
Post #27
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Sorry, Im really high so I really went to town on that one ah tongue.gif

+Quote Post
tommie
post Oct 15 2020, 11:01 PM
Post #28
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Banned
Member No.: 8,073

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Oct 15 2020, 10:54 PM) *
Sorry, Im really high so I really went to town on that one ah tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Mr.X
post Oct 16 2020, 08:03 AM
Post #29
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Actual footage of me last night, no shame

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Oct 16 2020, 09:47 AM
Post #30
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

laugh.gif

I'd been waiting for your response to this thread Mr.X and you didn't let me down wub.gif I love how much you stan this era! cheer.gif

+Quote Post
Spice Girls Net
post Oct 16 2020, 11:23 AM
Post #31
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 64,815
   No Gallery Pics

I see Melanie C, Geri and Victoria all liked Emma’s Maybe posts on Instagram

Queens supporting Queens

+Quote Post
Mr.X
post Oct 16 2020, 12:53 PM
Post #32
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jay* @ Oct 16 2020, 10:47 AM) *
laugh.gif

I'd been waiting for your response to this thread Mr.X and you didn't let me down wub.gif I love how much you stan this era! cheer.gif

It's the best solo Spice era, in my opinion, and is yet to be beaten. Alongside Northern Star, it is the best album any of them released so far. The only era that might challenge both albums and eras is the current Mel C one (though I am not yet 100% sold on the album).

Nonetheless, I thnk we should consider challenge 19 Management and Universal directly for a re-release of the Vinyl at the very least. Certainly, a 20 year anniversary edition in 2023 sounds amazing!

+Quote Post
spiceboy
post Oct 17 2020, 04:03 PM
Post #33
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 39,568
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jay* @ Oct 16 2020, 10:47 AM) *
laugh.gif

Me toooo loved your write up wub.gif

I'll do mine later today. wub.gif

+Quote Post
dancinqueen
post Oct 18 2020, 08:02 AM
Post #34
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 95,682
   No Gallery Pics

I’ve never really cared for La Bunton, but this is a really good pop album. I wish she continued with this sound, with more edgy lyrics. Tho I must confess I love All I Need To Know.

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Jan 26 2021, 11:57 AM
Post #35

Can we please give Free Me (the song) the appreciation it deserves wub.gif It’s been criticised a fair bit in the chart forum drama.gif

+Quote Post
Mr.X
post Jan 26 2021, 01:20 PM
Post #36
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

People criticing Emma for her vocals in Free Me as if those weren't just perfection

+Quote Post
Simon.
post Jan 26 2021, 01:23 PM
Post #37
Sugar Like Apple Pie
Member No.: 126

QUOTE(Jay❄ @ Jan 26 2021, 11:57 AM) *
Can we please give Free Me (the song) the appreciation it deserves wub.gif It’s been criticised a fair bit in the chart forum drama.gif

I know right, I thought it was getting quite the bashing, it's a nice song. Going to play the album next, been years since I've listened to it.

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Jan 26 2021, 01:35 PM
Post #38

QUOTE(Simon. @ Jan 26 2021, 01:23 PM) *
I know right, I thought it was getting quite the bashing, it's a nice song. Going to play the album next, been years since I've listened to it.

heart.gif Enjoy! Many career highlights on that album wub.gif

+Quote Post
Simon.
post Jan 26 2021, 01:37 PM
Post #39
Sugar Like Apple Pie
Member No.: 126

QUOTE(Jay❄ @ Jan 26 2021, 01:35 PM) *
heart.gif Enjoy! Many career highlights on that album wub.gif

Always found 'I'll Be There' to be really underrated, I'm sure it was on the radio a lot at the time. I remember when it first came out I thought it was a cover as it was so instant.

+Quote Post
spiceboy
post Jan 26 2021, 02:05 PM
Post #40
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 39,568
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Simon. @ Jan 26 2021, 01:37 PM) *
Always found 'I'll Be There' to be really underrated, I'm sure it was on the radio a lot at the time. I remember when it first came out I thought it was a cover as it was so instant.

I'll be there is the best song on the album. wub.gif

Also Free Me is 10/10, and is better than Maybe and I'm not even sorry about it. cool.gif

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:05 AM