BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Your Glastonbury setlist, If the girls were to do Glastonbury what should they perform?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
spiceboy
post 1st February 2021, 04:15 PM
Post #41
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

QUOTE(RabbitFurCoat @ Feb 1 2021, 04:04 PM) *
Interesting reading this thread as a Glastonbury goer but non Spice Girls fan. I'm fully expecting them to take the Sunday afternoon legends slot at some point in the next few years. That's basically used as a massive 75 minute sing-a-long so they would do whatever most people are likely to know, I couldn't imagine them doing it and then not including something like Mama!

As a non spice girls fan would you say they should include solo hits like when you’re gone, it’s raining men, I turn to you, what took you so long or album tracks? What would go down better for you? Also would you prefer them performed as a group, solo, with special guests or a mixture of them all?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 1st February 2021, 04:55 PM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988

The thought of them not performing Mama is baffling too. It would go down a storm at Glastonbury and they could add a choir give it that bit extra umph.

We are family got a great reaction at my SW19 show it would be a good addition a song for an even older generation but universally known and has a strong connection with the Spice Girls for fans.

I agree LLLTW and Headlines aren't needed, they still have 11 singles and Move over (an unofficial single). 4 album tracks, We are family and that's 17 songs.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 1st February 2021, 04:58 PM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

yeah but Mama sucks huh.gif

+Quote this post
vibe
post 1st February 2021, 06:01 PM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

The delusion in this thread ��������

Debating that they are not usual album tracks because they featured in a movie and some live concerts ������

The show needs hits, the spice girls as a group plus solo have enough to please the crowd for the entire set!

Its Raining Men is known by everyone due to weather girls , geri , Bridget jones, Magic Mike etc
WYG a radio staple that outsells group recordings and does better streaming than some of their hits

Wake Up

You think Diana Ross aint going to combine her solo hits and the supremes ? Noel Gallagher still does oasis numbers in his shows !!!

This post has been edited by vibe: 1st February 2021, 06:03 PM

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 1st February 2021, 06:06 PM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(vibe @ Feb 1 2021, 06:01 PM) *

Debating that they are not usual album tracks because they featured in a movie and some live concerts ������

The show needs hits, the spice girls as a group plus solo have enough to please the crowd for the entire set!

Its Raining Men is known by everyone due to weather girls , geri , Bridget jones, Magic Mike etc
WYG a radio staple that outsells group recordings and does better streaming than some of their hits

Wake Up

You think Diana Ross aint going to combine her solo hits and the supremes ? Noel Gallagher still does oasis numbers in his shows !!!

Glastonbury isnt even happening

Solo acts doing group songs from groups that were much more successful than their solo catalogues make sense. Groups with various singers doing solo songs in the middle of their set is less interesting or needed, specially with a catalogue as well known as the Spice Girls' own. That's the point, vibe.

+Quote this post
vibe
post 1st February 2021, 06:25 PM
Post #46
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

Im disagreeing that album tracks will be more known and more needed than solo tracks. Not all of the girls have to do one.
They only released 11 singles and many are ballads.

Adding solo hits will surely add, not take away. Not all the girls would need to do one.

The medley idea i would be here for , its never been done and would be something new!

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 1st February 2021, 06:43 PM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(vibe @ Feb 1 2021, 06:01 PM) *

Wake Up

Please refrain from using offensive terminology this is a fun thread we are all entitled to our opinion without being called deluded. This also applies to others using stuff like heads in the clouds no need to be personal.

I also agree with Mr X that those examples are very different with Diana Ross and the Gallagher brothers.

However I also agree that a show like Glastonbury needs as many recognisable songs as possible and the example of Rolling Stones doing Mick Jagger songs is a perfect example of that, and they have way more of a discography than Spice Girls that would be recognisable to the general public / festival goers than Spice Girls do. Fleetwood Mac are also VERY popular with festival goers yet they also incorporated solo songs into their setlist.

I don’t buy the “this is album tracks from the biggest selling and second biggest selling girl band albums ever” argument either. A tiny tiny fraction of the audience will own those albums while a much bigger portion will have heard the big solo songs on the radio or on TV and be more familiar with them.

However I also agree with Mr X again that a chunk of them in the middle would potentially cause boredom so I think it would have to be spread out throughout the set, combined with duets with respective acts aka Bryan Adam’s and Missy Elliot to keep audience engagement, and some of them done as a group aka Its raining men... if Melanie C is ok doing celebration, we are family, shake your body to the ground, and that’s the way I like it I don’t see why she would have an issue with Its raining men... hell she recorded I want candy as a solo song and allowed voodoo to be recorded for the GH... she got nothing to stand on.

This post has been edited by spiceboy: 1st February 2021, 07:52 PM

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 1st February 2021, 07:02 PM
Post #48
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

I honestly believe that their more recognisable solo hits would go down better than most of their album tracks, and I'm kind of surprised that is so contentious! We've had a previous precedent of them doing solo songs during a tour, so they might feel tempted in this unique one-off set to include them... and it would bulk up the hit count in the set list. As previously mentioned, Fleetwood Mac and The Rolling Stones incorporated solo singles into their sets.

They're never ever going to ditch Mama. Personal tastes aside, it always connects really well and feels like a moment during their sets. It's a classic and I think it would go down as well with a Glastonbury audience as I Should Be So Lucky did for Kylie - cheesy, not exactly regarded by fans as a career highlight despite being a massive hit, but is undoubtedly a huge crowd pleaser. I may prefer Too Much to Mama, but if they're going to cut one of their 90s ballads, I think it would have to be Too Much...

I doubt they'd consider any Forever album tracks if they neglect to include them during their actual tours. When it comes to album tracks, maybe at a push include Love Thing and Never Give Up on the Good Times... but you have to be careful with a Glastonbury set list that you don't have a lull in the set. Ardent Spice Girls fans at their tours who are specifically there for the Spice Girls, is quite different to a varied Glastonbury audience, and the general public viewing it on TV. Note that Kylie's was 100% made up of singles.

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 1st February 2021, 07:25 PM
Post #49
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel
User: 118

QUOTE(spiceboy @ Feb 1 2021, 04:15 PM) *
As a non spice girls fan would you say they should include solo hits like when you’re gone, it’s raining men, I turn to you, what took you so long or album tracks? What would go down better for you? Also would you prefer them performed as a group, solo, with special guests or a mixture of them all?

I would more be more likely to know and prefer a solo hit like When You're Gone than an album track, but that's only as I've never listened to an album, might not be the case for everyone. If I was there I'd imagine I'd see them as if they're in that slot there's usually very little competition for it - I might not choose to listen to them normally but it's always great fun and their big songs would be great in that setting. When I saw Barry Gibb in 2017 he only performed songs that he'd written but weren't necessarily Bee Gees hits, but far more people will know something like Islands In The Stream

+Quote this post
schizo_spice
post 1st February 2021, 07:26 PM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,574

Mama is definitely a Spice staple, all their singles are really besides maybe Let Love Lead the Way and Headlines which are the only two singles I could see being ignored on a setlist.

+Quote this post
sammy01
post 1st February 2021, 08:19 PM
Post #51
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988

The solo songs in 2007 tour went down like a lead balloon, they were such an atmosphere and Vibe killer.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 1st February 2021, 08:29 PM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I think one big factor that everyone is missing here is the fact that whilst they had only 11 singles, at least 10 of them (sorry Headlines) were massive, recognisable hits. Not every headliner can say the same - in fact many cant at all. Does anyone know 11 huge hit songs from The Killers? Realistically?...

Or Florence & The Machine? Big Hits? Not really bar a couple. But she filled that stage like there was no tomorrow. Dolly Parton's catalogue is very popular but also only a handfull of songs are widely recognisable to the general public, yet she filled a whole set too.

It's ok to go into the album tracks if you dont have enough singles as it is the case here. I get it that you guys think solos would be fun. Personally, I think it would be a big mistake and take away some much needed space and focus from the group itself which is what the gig is about in my opinion.

QUOTE(Jay❄ @ Feb 1 2021, 07:02 PM) *
We've had a previous precedent of them doing solo songs during a tour, so they might feel tempted in this unique one-off set to include them... and it would bulk up the hit count in the set list.

Yeah and how crap was that? Bar a couple of them, most of them felt completely pointless and a waste of time where much more needed/wanted group performances could have really brough the house down. The fact they brought back the group's album tracks for the 2019 tour made so much more sense and everyone was loving it - even if some didnt know the words to it at all.

You will always - always - have to fill the set list with songs that the public might not know or care too much about. It is about the narrative of the show and how you build it that makes people interested in those songs at all.

No solos for little Mr.X please blink.gif

Also, I would most probably never go to Glasto as just the thought of it fills me with dread, not even for the Spice Girls. So I would be watching from home in High Quality and I would hope they focus on the group songs so that they can shine all the way through it instead of, you know, It's Raining toiletbreak Men teresa.gif

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 1st February 2021, 08:37 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Feb 1 2021, 08:29 PM) *
I think one big factor that everyone is missing here is the fact that whilst they had only 11 singles, at least 10 of them (sorry Headlines) were massive, recognisable hits. Not every headliner can say the same - in fact many cant at all. Does anyone know 11 huge hit songs from The Killers? Realistically?...

Or Florence & The Machine? Big Hits? Not really bar a couple. But she filled that stage like there was no tomorrow. Dolly Parton's catalogue is very popular but also only a handfull of songs are widely recognisable to the general public, yet she filled a whole set too.

It's ok to go into the album tracks if you dont have enough singles as it is the case here. I get it that you guys think solos would be fun. Personally, I think it would be a big mistake and take away some much needed space and focus from the group itself which is what the gig is about in my opinion.
Yeah and how crap was that? Bar a couple of them, most of them felt completely pointless and a waste of time where much more needed/wanted group performances could have really brough the house down. The fact they brought back the group's album tracks for the 2019 tour made so much more sense and everyone was loving it - even if some didnt know the words to it at all.

You will always - always - have to fill the set list with songs that the public might not know or care too much about. It is about the narrative of the show and how you build it that makes people interested in those songs at all.

No solos for little Mr.X please blink.gif

Also, I would most probably never go to Glasto as just the thought of it fills me with dread, not even for the Spice Girls. So I would be watching from home in High Quality and I would hope they focus on the group songs so that they can shine all the way through it instead of, you know, It's Raining toiletbreak Men teresa.gif

If anything IRM was one of the better solo moments of TROTSG, Mel B’s and Emma’s were sadly the toilet breaks. 🤣 LLLTW was also a lul during that show (although lovely during 2019) and that is an actual group single.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 1st February 2021, 08:45 PM
Post #54
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530

Personally I think there's a place for some solo Spice moments, but nothing too excessive and certainly sticking to one each. When You're Gone would go down VERY well, or Never Be the Same Again / I Turn to You if Melanie C would prefer one of her own singles. What Took You So Long? would definitely be the best choice for Emma, as much as Maybe is my favourite. It's Raining Men would be a big singalong moment for Geri, or Look At Me if they wanted an original. I Want You Back for Mel B but I feel like she's the toughest one to pick for, I could imagine that being the least popular of the solo choices but she doesn't really have a better option. I'll do mine as if Victoria's not there, not sure she'd be that enamoured to perform a solo single anyway? laugh.gif

My idea of a setlist (I think there's room for all four of them to perform each of the solo numbers to make it more exciting, so no individual moments on stage to keep it firmly about Spice Girls as a group):

1. Spice Up Your Life
2. Who Do You Think You Are
3. Love Thing
4. What Took You So Long?
5. Too Much
6. Let Love Lead the Way
--
7. Say You'll Be There
8. I Want You Back
9. Holler
--
10. Mama
11. Never Give Up on the Good Times
12. It's Raining Men
13. Goodbye
14. Viva Forever
--
15. When You're Gone (I'm sure they could easily get Bryan Adams for a guest appearance here too!)
16. 2 Become 1
17. Stop
18. Wannabe

Room for some to be manoeuvred around but ultimately I think it's good to spread the solo songs out among the group hits, and I've thrown a couple of album tracks in but if it's too long a setlist, they'd be the first to go IMO. Dashes signify either a quick costume change or a very short interlude to segue between different parts of the setlist!

+Quote this post
southernstar
post 1st February 2021, 09:14 PM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 41,834

QUOTE(Jay❄ @ Feb 1 2021, 08:02 PM) *
I honestly believe that their more recognisable solo hits would go down better than most of their album tracks, and I'm kind of surprised that is so contentious! We've had a previous precedent of them doing solo songs during a tour, so they might feel tempted in this unique one-off set to include them... and it would bulk up the hit count in the set list. As previously mentioned, Fleetwood Mac and The Rolling Stones incorporated solo singles into their sets.

They're never ever going to ditch Mama. Personal tastes aside, it always connects really well and feels like a moment during their sets. It's a classic and I think it would go down as well with a Glastonbury audience as I Should Be So Lucky did for Kylie - cheesy, not exactly regarded by fans as a career highlight despite being a massive hit, but is undoubtedly a huge crowd pleaser. I may prefer Too Much to Mama, but if they're going to cut one of their 90s ballads, I think it would have to be Too Much...

I doubt they'd consider any Forever album tracks if they neglect to include them during their actual tours. When it comes to album tracks, maybe at a push include Love Thing and Never Give Up on the Good Times... but you have to be careful with a Glastonbury set list that you don't have a lull in the set. Ardent Spice Girls fans at their tours who are specifically there for the Spice Girls, is quite different to a varied Glastonbury audience, and the general public viewing it on TV. Note that Kylie's was 100% made up of singles.

maybe you're right Jay❄️, it is much more likely that the setlist will contain the 13 singles, We Are Family (😭), When You're Gone and some other solo hits. Probably the only album tracks that would have chances would be NGUOTGT, Love Thing, The Lady Is A Vamp and If U Can't Dance. I always hope for more recognition for less performing album tracks like first of all Last Time Lover, Saturday Night Divas, Denying and another album track from Forever (RBAY or IFYWHSF ...).
But I know, I'm daydreaming 🤭🤭

This post has been edited by SpiceWorldItaly: 1st February 2021, 09:15 PM

+Quote this post
Maz!
post 1st February 2021, 09:39 PM
Post #56
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 20,217

My setlist will include solo hits but as a medley like Name that tune was on SW2019

1.Spice Up Your Life
2.Who Do You Think You Are
3.Do It (yes they need to use a album track here and there.)
4.Too Much (after this they walk off stage stage for a short change of clothes)
5.Move Over
6.Holler (if Victoria is there all 5 will be on stage also they perform the whole song)
7.Solo Medley It's Raining Men-WTYSL-Out Of Your Mind-I Want You Back-When You're Gone (all 5 Spice Girls sing along on the choruses)
8.Let Love Lead The Way
9.2 Become 1
10.Love Thing
11.Say You'll Be There
12.Goodbye
13.If You Can't Dance (a mix of the 2007 and 2019 tour versions)
14.Stop
15.Mama
16.Viva Forever
17.Wannabe

Being realistic Victoria will never sing one of her solo songs but i don't want her on stage pointing to the audience like she did on ROTSG

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 1st February 2021, 09:48 PM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(innuendo @ Feb 1 2021, 09:39 PM) *
My setlist will include solo hits but as a medley like Name that tune was on SW2019

1.Spice Up Your Life
5.Move Over
6.Holler (if Victoria is there all 5 will be on stage also they perform the whole song)
7.Solo Medley It's Raining Men-WTYSL-Out Of Your Mind-I Want You Back-When You're Gone (all 5 Spice Girls sing along on the choruses)
8.Let Love Lead The Way
9.2 Become 1
10.Love Thing
11.Say You'll Be There
12.Goodbye
14.Stop
15.Mama
16.Viva Forever
17.Wannabe

Being realistic Victoria will never sing one of her solo songs but i don't want her on stage pointing to the audience like she did on ROTSG

That would actually be pretty amazing wub.gif I would just throw in Never Give Up On The Good Times after Goodbye and put Mama as a mix with Goodbye or even with Let Love Lead The Way but apart from that, it's a pretty stellar list yahoo.gif

I think something like that would flow well and would be well received. Hell, even throw in a short We Are Family (maybe skip a verse and a chorus, just half the song after If You Cant Dance)... So here is mine, influenced by yours:

1.Spice Up Your Life
3.Do It
4.Too Much
5.Move Over
6.Holler (all five)
8.Mama/ Let Love Lead The Way
9.2 Become 1
10.Love Thing
11.Say You'll Be There
12.Goodbye
13. Never Give Up On The Good Times (mix between 1999 and 2019 versions)
14. If You Can't Dance (a new mix) / We Are Family
15.Stop
16.Viva Forever
17.Wannabe

yahoo.gif this excites me!

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 1st February 2021, 09:56 PM
Post #58
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(innuendo @ Feb 1 2021, 09:39 PM) *

1.Spice Up Your Life
5.Move Over
8.Let Love Lead The Way
9.2 Become 1
10.Love Thing
11.Say You'll Be There
12.Goodbye
14.Stop
15.Mama
16.Viva Forever
17.Wannabe

This is a good setlist I like it! Would probably put the solo medley later on though rather than so early in the set.

+Quote this post
Maz!
post 1st February 2021, 10:12 PM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 20,217

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Feb 1 2021, 10:48 PM) *
That would actually be pretty amazing wub.gif I would just throw in Never Give Up On The Good Times after Goodbye and put Mama as a mix with Goodbye or even with Let Love Lead The Way but apart from that, it's a pretty stellar list yahoo.gif

I think something like that would flow well and would be well received. Hell, even throw in a short We Are Family (maybe skip a verse and a chorus, just half the song after If You Cant Dance)... So here is mine, influenced by yours:

1.Spice Up Your Life
3.Do It
4.Too Much
5.Move Over
6.Holler (all five)
8.Mama/ Let Love Lead The Way
9.2 Become 1
10.Love Thing
11.Say You'll Be There
12.Goodbye
13. Never Give Up On The Good Times (mix between 1999 and 2019 versions)
14. If You Can't Dance (a new mix) / We Are Family
15.Stop
16.Viva Forever
17.Wannabe

yahoo.gif this excites me!

I like that twist on my setlist! I thought about including Never Give On The Good Times but couldn’t find the right place.
The reason I put Mama that late in the setlist is because I liked that on the 1998 tour as Mamas outro goes into the intro of Viva Forever.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 1st February 2021, 10:14 PM
Post #60
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217

wub.gif Fantastic set lists, Joseph/Maz/Mr.X, I'd be happy with any of them being real!

+Quote this post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 08:29 PM