BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Least favourite 'Ray of Light' song ● FINAL RESULTS
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
HausofKubrick
post 1st June 2016, 06:14 PM
Post #1
Group icon
User: 13,007

Love is a bird, she needs to fly

In second place, losing out by a single vote is the haunting masterpiece and lead single from the album, Frozen. In the song, Madonna sings of a cold, emotionless figure who she temptingly tries to seduce - the song is anything but cold and emotionless and is instead packed with sincere warmth and emotion. It's haunting because it plays at a melancholic speed, with eerie chants, sombre vocals and strange sounds scattered throughout it. The music video is equally as ghostly, with Madonna alone in a desert shape-shifting in dark animals and wooing the camera in beautiful style. It's a stunning video and perfectly captures the wilderness that is evoked by the song. Very cinematic and grande, the song was a huge commercial and critical success and remains one of Madonna's most appreciated and loved singles to date. Here it settles for a very respectable silver medal but one song, you did not want to say goodbye to so easily...

Yes all of this means that the winner and your least, least favourite song is The Power of Goodbye. The fourth single from the album takes a very similar style to 'Frozen' in that it uses eerie sounds and a sombre tone to convey the message. But here the song isn't one of warming the cold and awakening, it's the aftermath - a song about loss and death and departure. It even begins with a message to the former song: Your heart is not open so I must go... Madonna has here reached the freedom she seeked during 'Frozen'. Beautifully sung (her vocals have never sounded so smooth) and wonderfully constructed, the song is a rich, layered ballad of epic proportions. A commercial success, reaching the top 10 in many countries and often highlighted as a real high-point of the album, it's no wonder you all love it so much. The music video is also a personal favourite of mine. Controversial to a point, but more ambiguous than anything, in the video's final moments, Madonna arrives at the sea and it is implied that she drowns herself, washing away the past. Wonderfully told, with stunning cinematography it's a true visual masterpiece. And it goes with the song, which is again very cinematic. A very worthy winner of these polls - a song that perfectly captures the magic and mystique of the album.

I yearn to say good-bye

01. The Power of Goodbye
02. Frozen (11 votes, 52.38%)
03. Ray of Light (7 votes, 43.75%)
04. Sky Fits Heaven (13 votes, 76.47%)
05. Drowned World/Substitute for Love (6 votes, 42.86%)
06. Nothing Really Matters (6 votes, 35.29%)
07. Skin (5 votes, 38.46%)
08. Swim (10 votes, 62.50%)
09. To Have And Not To Hold (9 votes, 52.94%)
10. Candy Perfume Girl (11 votes, 55.55%)
11. Shanti/Ashtangi (11 votes, 64.71%)
12. Little Star (9 votes, 45.00%)
13. Mer Girl (10 votes, 50.00%)
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 1st June 2016, 06:16 PM
Post #2
Group icon

Are you happy with the results? I know a fair few wanted 'Ray of Light' to win but for me this is the definitive top 2 on the album and the two songs which represent the album's message and sound best. Both are PERFECT and in the album's tracklisting they follow on from each other perfectly.

heart.gif heart.gif

+Quote this post
vibe
post 1st June 2016, 07:32 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

I'm ok with power winning

William Orbit however wouldn't be !

+Quote this post
Tyler
post 2nd June 2016, 04:55 PM
Post #4
Group icon
If people hate you, don’t hate them.
User: 67

YASSSSSSSS

My favorite Madonna song wub.gif

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 2nd June 2016, 05:10 PM
Post #5
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835

Frozen >>>>>> The Power of Goodbye sad.gif cry.gif

+Quote this post
post 2nd June 2016, 05:14 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

Very pleased. Power is fantastic, easily my favourite 90s Madonna. And joins Express Yourself and Papa in my 3 favourite Madonna singles.

What a haunting gem.

+Quote this post
...ready for it
post 5th June 2016, 12:07 AM
Post #7
Group icon
I'm not asleep, my mind is alive.
Pronouns: she/her
User: 1,454

QUOTE(HausofKubrick @ Jun 1 2016, 02:16 PM) *
Are you happy with the results?

Yes, I am. wub.gif

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 10th June 2016, 12:07 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

I'll have a re-listen to the album and post my rank but, looking at that list, it's as close to perfect as a Buzzjack determined list can get! The only alterations I can see to make to suit my tastes would be a 'Ray of Light' win and for 'To Have and Not to Hold' to be higher, but even then I can agree that 'Frozen' and 'The Power of Goodbye' are more representative of the album's sound and that 'To Have...' did much better than expected by holding on until Round 5.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 10th June 2016, 06:00 PM
Post #9
Group icon

I've always found that 'To Have and Not to Hold' sounds single worthy! I know half of the album does but this in particular is quite striking and catchy. I'm probably alone in that but yeah, LOVE <3

(lmao looking at the results, despite that love i'd only really put it one place higher (above 'Swim')!)

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 12th June 2016, 01:33 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

Tbf I consider the vast majority of the album as single worthy! tongue.gif I do find 'To Have and Not to Hold' to be striking but in a way that's different to the rest of the album: everything about it is very subtle to the point it's barely there (unlike 'Frozen', '...Goodbye' and 'Drowned World' which very much make there presence known) yet it triggers a sadness in me, just from the hum and the morphed beeps at the beginning even. I think there's a real beauty in it being underrated, so I probably wouldn't have had it as a single despite my love for it - plus the fact the singles that were chosen I simply wouldn't change and either 'Skin' or 'Sky Fits Heaven' would be my choice of sixth single if I really wanted to milk the era.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 06:54 AM