BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Star Trek: Discovery (2017), new ship(s), new crew(s), prime universe
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Qween
post 2nd November 2015, 04:48 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709

Streaming… the final frontier. Ever since Alex Kurtzman and Bob Orci, key players on the Star Trek feature franchise, moved to CBS TV Studios, there had been talk about them resurrecting the studio’s marquee title. Now the long-rumored new Star Trek TV series has become a reality as the first original series on CBS’ digital platform CBS All Access. Shepherded by Kurtzman, who will serve as executive producer, the series will premiere in January 2017 with a preview broadcast on CBS followed by an exclusive run in the U.S. on CBS All Access.

Unlike the feature franchise, which featured the classic Star Trek characters, the new series installment will introduce new characters “seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966”, according to CBS. Kurtzman had quietly been meeting with potential writers for the past few months. CBS Television Studios is the studio. The series will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International.

“There is no better time to give Star Trek fans a new series than on the heels of the original show’s 50th anniversary celebration,” said David Stapf, President, CBS Television Studios.“Everyone here has great respect for this storied franchise, and we’re excited to launch its next television chapter in the creative mind and skilled hands of Alex Kurtzman, someone who knows this world and its audience intimately.”

Kurtzman and Orci have gone their separate ways in features. On the TV side, their company, CBS TV Studios-based Kurtzman/Orci Paper Products, is still intact though Kurtzman is expected to work solo on the Star Trek series as one of the projects under a separate deal with the studio.

CBS Corp. had been high on rebooting Star Trek with a new series installment, which had been a goal for the company. The move is clearly designed to boost the company’s upstart streaming platform, CBS All Access. Sony Pictures TV similarly helped usher original programming to sibling Playstation digital platform with the Powers drama series.

I mean there's a fair chance it will be SHIT, but MASSIVE f***ING YAY all the same.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Qween
post 2nd November 2015, 04:50 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

Plus, it's from the guy who helped create FRINGE (and Sleepy Hollow) so EVEN BETTER

(I'm ignoring that he was also in on the 2 crap new movies)

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 2nd November 2015, 05:18 PM
Post #3
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

I am excited.

I wonder how far I'll get with my 'ongoing-whenever-I-feel-like-it' Star Trek rewatch before then as I'm currently on 1st season TNG (yay challenge - in more ways than one given where I currently am). Would be nice to have considerably less action than the recent movies have been doing and have some real interesting stories. If they have the right people on board this could be amazing - although I am of course prepared for it to be not so amazing too.

+Quote this post
Qween
post 2nd November 2015, 05:45 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

Oh my days, I don't think you could make me rewatch TNG S1 (or, being honest the first season of ANY iteration) in full again. I think the kind way of putting it is they took time to find their feet. Sadly in this tv climate I fear that will result in this being an all too brief affair. Though I'm sure international broadcasts (assuming they are at the same time, or similar) will keep it around for a bit.

+Quote this post
Severin
post 2nd November 2015, 05:58 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872

I just hope they don't allow it to drift into space fantasy. If they use the original series, DS9, TNG and even the rebooted Galactica as a template then we'll be fine. If they use Star Wars and the new films it'll fail.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 2nd November 2015, 09:45 PM
Post #6
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

QUOTE(Halloqween @ Nov 2 2015, 05:45 PM) *
Oh my days, I don't think you could make me rewatch TNG S1 (or, being honest the first season of ANY iteration) in full again. I think the kind way of putting it is they took time to find their feet. Sadly in this tv climate I fear that will result in this being an all too brief affair. Though I'm sure international broadcasts (assuming they are at the same time, or similar) will keep it around for a bit.

Not really, CBS are doing a potentially risky move by airing it all online (bar one episode). Could see this being a big hit. Would flop on network TV with the everyone not watching live, but on a streaming platform it will do really well.

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post 2nd November 2015, 10:26 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2

Great news for me, I'm big trekkie fan, it could work with new characters ST: TNG reinvigorated the franchise big time, as long it doesn't fall within the Star Trek: Enterprise series that was really crap. The only problem the film series could come to an end after next year, if the producers decide to stick with the new TV series.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 2nd November 2015, 11:15 PM
Post #8
Group icon

QUOTE(Halloqween @ Nov 2 2015, 05:45 PM) *

There's enough TNG episodes that I've just never seen, I only ever dipped back in the day, I have an urge to rewatch DS9 eventually because it's my favourite non-GoT show and I never saw the last season and a half of Enterprise - which is apparently the good part of it: so it'll be a worthwhile exercise in the end and I'm pacing myself so I never get to burnout levels. It's becoming a lot more enjoyable now I'm past the original series. Even TNG S1 kink.gif

But yes, that's a good point in that they can't afford to mess this up in the same way again. Though the streaming platform sounds like it'll help, I never watch TV episodes live these days unless it's GoT, I like to have a binge session instead.

+Quote this post
Qween
post 2nd November 2015, 11:43 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

Oh Enterprise definitely kicked into a higher gear with S3 (even if it was all a little DS9 rehashy) and then S4 was actually great, with some multi part episodes. Just ignore the final episode because that shit is a mess and kind of offensive given it was the end of 18 years of Trek on TV.

Also, re. the end of the movies, I don't think they'll end any time soon. Lots of reports around that they've already got the cast signed on for #4. Of course if this one tanks then it's a different story, but with it being the 50th aniversary I'm sure they'll manage to make a bigger event out of it than Into Darkness and the box office will reflect that. Especially if they manage to work in some of the surviving original cast, even just for a one shot deal (frankly, they'd be stupid not to, it's not like ANY of them have better things to be doing).

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 3rd November 2015, 10:11 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

yahoo.gif yahoo.gif yahoo.gif yahoo.gif yahoo.gif yahoo.gif yahoo.gif

I've loved all Star Trek from day one, even the crappy episodes can be fun with a Star Trek drinking game attached. The worst was season 1 TNG, it's still largely unwatchable even though I watched every episode many times over when it came out on video-for-hire and was mega excited to have it at the time. Deep Space 9 is the way forward the most perfect sci fi series ever, Enterprise got better as it went on, final season pretty cracking, TOS has charm drama wit and wildly fluctuating scripts from brilliant to awful. Voyager improves mid-series with 7 of 9, but is less interesting overall due to crappy villains and rehashed plots. The recent films have been fab movies, a new kick-start to familiar characters I want to see continue, and I'd like to see The New Trek be an Alternate Universe based on events following on from those, cos it's hard to see any pre-TNG series working (Enterprise, done it), or 200-years-later series from Voyager & co without repeating what's been done.

Of course, what I'd REALLY like is Deep Space 9: The sequel, what happened to those characters, new characters, the universe with a ruined Cardassia, humiliated Founders and buoyant Federation/Bajor. So many unresolved questions, a wormhole to a sector of the Galaxy still largely unexplored, and so many opportunities to keep on commenting on terrorism and human nature...

Wishful thinking, I expect though....

+Quote this post
Severin
post 19th May 2016, 08:55 AM
Post #11
Group icon
Mansonette

This actually tells us nothing but it does feel suitably Trek-y

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 19th May 2016, 10:10 AM
Post #12
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

Hope ir's like Voyager!

+Quote this post
Qween
post 19th May 2016, 11:01 AM
Post #13
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

I'm still super optimistic and not even cautiously. The idea of it being an anthology would be ideal, especially if it's prime universe. They could fill in all the gaps between TUC and TNG first and then maybe post-Nemesis etc. All through fresh crews and ships and settings. Keeps it from stagnating as most Trek shows do after a few seasons.

+Quote this post
Severin
post 19th May 2016, 12:23 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Mansonette

QUOTE(Qween @ May 19 2016, 12:01 PM) *
I'm still super optimistic and not even cautiously. The idea of it being an anthology would be ideal, especially if it's prime universe. They could fill in all the gaps between TUC and TNG first and then maybe post-Nemesis etc. All through fresh crews and ships and settings. Keeps it from stagnating as most Trek shows do after a few seasons.

Rumours suggest that is exactly where it will be set

+Quote this post
Qween
post 19th May 2016, 12:30 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

Yeah, I feel like narratively that's probably the most open ground for them to start with, plus it means they aren't as beholden to the tech TSUNAMI that was the 24th century incarnations of the show.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 19th May 2016, 01:38 PM
Post #16
Group icon

QUOTE(Virginia @ May 19 2016, 11:10 AM) *
Hope ir's like Voyager!

If anything, unless they really go for nostalgia it should resemble DS9 out of all of them as the trend for TV overall has shifted to arc and continuity based + less idealised shows. That show was years ahead of its time in outlook. Of course Voyager wasn't immune to its own little dark points but on that front it was paddling in the kiddy pool when its premise demanded a full dive.

Basically I expect and want Section 31-esque shadiness to crop up - I don't know if modern audiences will accept a perfect Federation anymore.

Early 24th century sounds intriguing as a possibility, fairly unexplored territory but we know enough for them to shove a few little continuity nuggets here and there that'll make us feel warm inside.

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post 19th May 2016, 05:21 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2

This looks promising, also seen the new trailer for the new Star Trek movie Beyond it looks pretty impressive most of it, seems to on land, rather than a space adventure.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 19th May 2016, 06:02 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

TV Trek. Movie Trek. Fab. The world seems right again.... yahoo.gif

+Quote this post
Qween
post 19th May 2016, 06:09 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

QUOTE(Iz~ @ May 19 2016, 02:38 PM) *
If anything, unless they really go for nostalgia it should resemble DS9 out of all of them as the trend for TV overall has shifted to arc and continuity based + less idealised shows. That show was years ahead of its time in outlook. Of course Voyager wasn't immune to its own little dark points but on that front it was paddling in the kiddy pool when its premise demanded a full dive.

Basically I expect and want Section 31-esque shadiness to crop up - I don't know if modern audiences will accept a perfect Federation anymore.

Early 24th century sounds intriguing as a possibility, fairly unexplored territory but we know enough for them to shove a few little continuity nuggets here and there that'll make us feel warm inside.

Section 31 would make a nice little season all of its own, assuming this is an anthology, a season set on world/occasionally on ships would be a nice change and offer a different perspective on the Federation. I agree that the general idea of an ''all good'' organisation probably won't fly with a 2016 audience, but every incarnation bar TOS and TMP has had some level of moral ambiguity, usually coupled with an environmental or social issue too.

Now, one thing this HAS to address is an LGBTQ character. It's long been a ridiculous aspect of Trek that it's never dealt with this (and whilst I can accept the whole, well in the 24th Century it isn't an ISSUE thing) and this will surely resolve that if they have any sense.

+Quote this post
Qween
post 19th May 2016, 06:12 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen

QUOTE(popchartfreak @ May 19 2016, 07:02 PM) *
TV Trek. Movie Trek. Fab. The world seems right again.... yahoo.gif

But totally unrelated, for contractual reasons.

+Quote this post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 06:51 PM