BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Public Service Announcement - Confidential Confirmations, Changes are happening, please read this
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Cameron
post 10th July 2016, 06:18 PM
Post #21
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
User: 18,061

QUOTE(dandy* @ Jul 10 2016, 07:13 PM) *
I think you're missing the point of what I'm saying... I'm not suggesting people WILL actively steal entries, I'm saying that people need to be aware that posting a song as a potential shouldn't give you any more claim to it over those of us who choose not to post options in threads.

edit... unless you were responding to Michael of course! Hadn't spotted his comment...

I was responding to Harry laugh.gif blush.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 10th July 2016, 06:19 PM
Post #22
Group icon
User: 13,007

I think if people are worried about their potential being stolen they shouldn't post in their national thread and just use their own judgement on deciding! In no way is this going to solve ALL issues but it's definitely a big step in the right direction imo

+Quote this post
Addy!
post 10th July 2016, 06:19 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,666

Actually I miss Reservation Thread...I remember back in a day where I reserved Eric Saade and Kopecka kindly asked me if I could release him to them, so I did and Kopecka ended up winning laugh.gif

Of course with today's large number of participants would be not the same as before but perhaps it could work if we limit the reservations to 2-3 artists maximum!!!

+Quote this post
Brer
post 10th July 2016, 06:21 PM
Post #24
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

Oh gosh we really do NOT need a return of the artist reservation thread laugh.gif Lots of people still find the contest a little bit intimidating and confusing to join now and it's very simplified compared to those days!

I think we should just wait and see if 'potential stealing' actually becomes an issue, I would hope people are generally mature enough not to do that.

+Quote this post
Oliver
post 10th July 2016, 06:22 PM
Post #25
Group icon
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
User: 15,367

QUOTE(dandy* @ Jul 10 2016, 07:13 PM) *
I'm saying that people need to be aware that posting a song as a potential shouldn't give you any more claim to it over those of us who choose not to post options in threads.

Completely agree, I wouldn't want to be accused of stealing a song that I've found outside of the site and try to send because someone has posted it as a potential in their thread.

Reminds me of, and this is no disrespect to Jake (just because it's the first example I can think of), the time Jake thought someone had stolen his entry because he started a thread for the song.

Out of curiosity, what happens if I play a song on Plug on August just because I like the song, but then in September I can't find any other songs so use that as my entry. Is that allowed?

+Quote this post
Silas
post 10th July 2016, 06:23 PM
Post #26
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

QUOTE(Addy K!ng @ Jul 10 2016, 07:19 PM) *
Actually I miss Reservation Thread...I remember back in a day where I reserved Eric Saade and Kopecka kindly asked me if I could release him to them, so I did and Kopecka ended up winning laugh.gif

Of course with today's large number of participants would be not the same as before but perhaps it could work if we limit the reservations to 2-3 artists maximum!!!

Awww hell no. I cried a tear of joy when it was agreed in the mod forum that the reservation thread was being binned. That caused so many arguments of people deliberately blocking others potentials and it was really vicious at times. I'm so very glad it's gone and it won't return for as long as I'm a mod - I guarantee it!

+Quote this post
Silas
post 10th July 2016, 06:25 PM
Post #27
Group icon
Queen of Soon

QUOTE(Oliver @ Jul 10 2016, 07:22 PM) *
Out of curiosity, what happens if I play a song on Plug on August just because I like the song, but then in September I can't find any other songs so use that as my entry. Is that allowed?

Yup! What we're trying to do is stop someone going on and making a lot of noise about this being their probable BJSC entry and then giving it repeated plays pre-contest and building up a fan base for it.

+Quote this post
Oricon
post 10th July 2016, 06:27 PM
Post #28
Group icon
bye dinner
User: 12,972

QUOTE(Oliver @ Jul 10 2016, 07:22 PM) *
Out of curiosity, what happens if I play a song on Plug on August just because I like the song, but then in September I can't find any other songs so use that as my entry. Is that allowed?[/font]

In that case (correct me if I'm wrong Phil but I'm sure of this) it is allowed as it eliminates the pre-hype any song has before the opening of the semi-final stage. If you played a song on plug which you never thought of sending to the contest initially but ended up going with it as you couldn't find anything better to send in future contests then we trust you to simply keep quiet about it, as one should only post in the national thread their potentials if they have difficulty in choosing what to send in the next contest and seek some advice (but in that case it means you should have a list of songs already and aren't stuck for songs to send in the first place).

+Quote this post
Silas
post 10th July 2016, 06:28 PM
Post #29
Group icon
Queen of Soon

laugh.gif This time Yu we're on the same hymn sheet!

+Quote this post
Oliver
post 10th July 2016, 06:29 PM
Post #30
Group icon
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
User: 15,367

That's fine!

Just I do play quite a few random songs on Plug and I didn't want people talking because I then send one of them a month later.

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post 10th July 2016, 06:32 PM
Post #31
Group icon
Former iconic poster with no consistent posting style
Pronouns: Don't take em seriously tbh
User: 21,005

Great idea! I also hope potential stealing doesn't become an issue but with this there's a fairer playing field.

+Quote this post
jakewild
post 10th July 2016, 06:35 PM
Post #32
Group icon
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
User: 2,790

QUOTE(#BJSCSLAYERRRRRR @ Jul 10 2016, 07:03 PM) *
Will this not lead to more incidence of people 'stealing' potenshes?

Also for example, I assume this applies to those WITHIN BJSC? Like, we could ask advice to people on the forum who aren't in the competition?

isn't that what this new rule is stopping though? if no one shares their potentials then no one can possibly steal someone else's entry? or am I missing something here?

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post 10th July 2016, 06:38 PM
Post #33
Group icon

Just a sec, sorry if this was already made clear but what if one plays a song a few times on plug for example but that person didn't consider it a potential until later down the line, they wouldn't be allowed to send it now it had a certain amount of exposure

+Quote this post
Oricon
post 10th July 2016, 06:39 PM
Post #34
Group icon
bye dinner

QUOTE(#00274E @ Jul 10 2016, 07:35 PM) *
isn't that what this new rule is stopping though? if no one shares their potentials then no one can possibly steal someone else's entry? or am I missing something here?

nono jake people can share now in their national potentials instead!

+Quote this post
Oricon
post 10th July 2016, 06:40 PM
Post #35
Group icon
bye dinner

QUOTE(memebury. @ Jul 10 2016, 07:38 PM) *
Just a sec, sorry if this was already made clear but what if one plays a song a few times on plug for example but that person didn't consider it a potential until later down the line, they wouldn't be allowed to send it now it had a certain amount of exposure

QUOTE(Oricon @ Jul 10 2016, 07:27 PM) *
In that case (correct me if I'm wrong Phil but I'm sure of this) it is allowed as it eliminates the pre-hype any song has before the opening of the semi-final stage. If you played a song on plug which you never thought of sending to the contest initially but ended up going with it as you couldn't find anything better to send in future contests then we trust you to simply keep quiet about it, as one should only post in the national thread their potentials if they have difficulty in choosing what to send in the next contest and seek some advice (but in that case it means you should have a list of songs already and aren't stuck for songs to send in the first place).

happy.gif

+Quote this post
Brer
post 10th July 2016, 06:43 PM
Post #36
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

Oh one more thing that was brought up in this controversy but hasn't been addressed in here (unless I am blind) - are we still allowed to post 'teasers' for our upcoming entries in our threads or does that constitute revealing our entry?

+Quote this post
jakewild
post 10th July 2016, 06:44 PM
Post #37
Group icon
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
User: 2,790

QUOTE(Oricon @ Jul 10 2016, 07:39 PM) *
nono jake people can share now in their national potentials instead!

then if someone steals your entry from you posting it in your national thread then it's your own fault then (and same goes for sharing via pm/facebook whatever)

i for one love the new rule

+Quote this post
danG
post 10th July 2016, 06:47 PM
Post #38
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

I've often found it useful to ask people for help via PM, but if banning sharing potentials helps create a more level playing field then I'm all for it.

I'd also argue for banning sharing potentials in national threads too, especially if people start taking the piss and really hinting at which "potential" they're going to send...

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 10th July 2016, 06:55 PM
Post #39
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

QUOTE(Bré @ Jul 10 2016, 07:43 PM) *
Oh one more thing that was brought up in this controversy but hasn't been addressed in here (unless I am blind) - are we still allowed to post 'teasers' for our upcoming entries in our threads or does that constitute revealing our entry?

As long as people wouldn't be able to find out what it is then that should be fine - so steer away from lyrics. To use one of my examples, I posted a picture of shooting stars when I was sending I See Stars, no one can work out what entry it is from that. Just be aware that if you are sharing potentials then you should be very careful with the hints you use as then people might narrow it down.

I look forward to seeing how it works out, I haven't relied on opinions for quite a while, we'll see if I use it but it will be good to see a few more national threasd used (and I can't imagine anyone will 'steal' someone's entry, no one is that petty - you could always say if someone posts something you're thinking of sending as a potential that you're also considering it and agree to either fight for it or one of you steps back).

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post 10th July 2016, 06:57 PM
Post #40
Group icon

QUOTE(danG @ Jul 10 2016, 07:47 PM) *
I've often found it useful to ask people for help via PM, but if banning sharing potentials helps create a more level playing field then I'm all for it.

I'd also argue for banning sharing potentials in national threads too, especially if people start taking the piss and really hinting at which "potential" they're going to send...

Responding to the second paragraph I'd agree, especially seeing as a lot of people when playing plug potentials use the trick of using quote marks around the world "potential" which is basically saying it's your entry without writing in plain English. So I guess theres going to be some concern over potentials posted in threads that get more emphasis then other potentials in the same thread. I think I'm going along the right lines laugh.gif

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 28th April 2024, 12:41 AM