BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Public Service Announcement - Confidential Confirmations, Changes are happening, please read this
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Harve
post 10th July 2016, 07:00 PM
Post #41
Group icon
Cœur poids plume
User: 4,718

Guys I reckon we should hide our entries under our pillows and forbid written, verbal and non-verbal communication between any two Buzzjack members outwith the actual song contest period. xx
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
*Tim
post 10th July 2016, 07:00 PM
Post #42
Group icon
Bitch of t seet
User: 16,660

Who puts emphasis on potentials tho. When ur posting them in ur thread you just post a lidt with links?

+Quote this post
Silas
post 10th July 2016, 07:02 PM
Post #43
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

QUOTE(danG @ Jul 10 2016, 07:47 PM) *
I'd also argue for banning sharing potentials in national threads too, especially if people start taking the piss and really hinting at which "potential" they're going to send...

Potential sharing we have no problem with at all. What you're not allowed to do is reveal which entry you've confirmed so dropping hints that mean half a dozen people instantly know what song you confirmed then you're breaking that rule.

To recycle Iz's example above, if you have three potentials all by a band called "Shooting Star" and then post a pic of a shooting star, that's no a problem because there's no way you could infer from that what's been sent.

If the songs were called 'Galaxy', 'Love Story' and 'Waterfront' and you post a picture of the milky way, then you could infer that what was confirmed was 'Galaxy'.

+Quote this post
JSG
post 10th July 2016, 07:56 PM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 18,473

I really like the new rule. biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 10th July 2016, 08:06 PM
Post #45
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

I think the result that I will really like from this will be the increase of traffic to the national threads. Normally it's just the usual people getting traffic as all the potential sharing goes off-hand, but this will get people to discover other national threads smile.gif

(This may or may not be a desperate way to get people to view my national thread ~)

+Quote this post
Qween
post 10th July 2016, 08:09 PM
Post #46
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709

Yes to all of this, basically. I've been as guilty as anyone of the PM 4 Opinions cultures in the past but this is a good way to level the playing field and make it much more fair and transparent for everyone.

+Quote this post
m
post 10th July 2016, 10:32 PM
Post #47
Group icon
I asked for my account to be banned
User: 7,132

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Jul 10 2016, 07:14 PM) *
Of course, what also could happen is that not everybody will have the time or desire to read everybody else's national threads. So if I post five potentials and we all have a great discussion about it, one of the silent voters who only swan in to listen and vote, and don't participate in the rest of the forum, may not have seen it in my thread, and it might look like they're stealing, even if that isn't the intent.

I was wondering about this as well. I look in some of the national threads quite often, but I don't make an effort to regularly keep up with all of them all the time.

I've shared potentials before, but not in every contest and I do prefer to keep them secret for the element of surprise or mystery or whatever. Happy with the new rule happy.gif

+Quote this post
Ethan
post 10th July 2016, 10:51 PM
Post #48
Group icon
3:23
User: 5,269

good idea in theory, which i support, i just wonder how workable this is going to be in practice ~ won’t this just drive ‘illicit’ presumptive entry sharing ‘underground’?

this doesn’t deal with the root cause of the problem, that people are itching to see what other people have entered, by reducing the length of the confirmation period you would reduce the temptation to talk about entries~

This post has been edited by Ethan: 10th July 2016, 10:52 PM

+Quote this post
Linds.
post 10th July 2016, 11:37 PM
Post #49
Group icon
laugh 'til we cry
Pronouns: she/her
User: 21,176

I'm glad this is being put into practice! I have to say though, if people post their potentials in their national threads, wont that increase the likely hood of double confirmations or 'stealing' of entries? I think that's why a lot of us used to use pm as you know it's only trusted people that are going to know what you're considering sending. I guess that's not something the moderators can solve though and its a choice/risk that's really down to us whether we want to take or not. Maybe a rule could be put in place that if two people confirm the same song and both have listed them as potentials in their own national threads then the one who posted about it first gets it, rather than it being a race to the google form as soon as its posted thinking.gif

This post has been edited by ℒ𝓲𝓷𝓭𝓼𝒆𝔂: 10th July 2016, 11:38 PM

+Quote this post
Oricon
post 10th July 2016, 11:46 PM
Post #50
Group icon
bye dinner
User: 12,972

That simply doesn't work as it means there won't be a fair fight for confirmation of highly sought after songs, but instead someone who posts like 20 potentials incredibly early will have first dib on their confirmed entry compared to everyone else.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 10th July 2016, 11:51 PM
Post #51
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

QUOTE(ℒ����⻤ @ Jul 11 2016, 12:37 AM) *
I'm glad this is being put into practice! I have to say though, if people post their potentials in their national threads, wont that increase the likely hood of double confirmations or 'stealing' of entries? I think that's why a lot of us used to use pm as you know it's only trusted people that are going to know what you're considering sending. I guess that's not something the moderators can solve though and its a choice/risk that's really down to us whether we want to take or not. Maybe a rule could be put in place that if two people confirm the same song and both have listed them as potentials in their own national threads then the one who posted about it first gets it, rather than it being a race to the google form as soon as its posted thinking.gif

It's a good idea, but I think in practice it would lead to hoarding artists, which then leads to rules about how you post potentials, or it becomes mind games where you don't post potentials so you don't get caught up in it. We can't have people claiming ownership of potentials or it becomes an artist reservation race.

I think and hope we're all mature enough not to steal something. It's a different problem to the PM system but be open about your intentions. From the other side, what happens if you choose not to post your potentials and then someone else posts the song you're thinking you might send? Best to say to them then that you are thinking of sending it and try to resolve it privately - like I said earlier, either one of you bows out or you decide that you may fight for it and whoever gets there first wins. The rate of people clashing by accident is really rare these days in the contest, though so I expect situations like that would be relatively rare too.

+Quote this post
Linds.
post 11th July 2016, 12:03 AM
Post #52
Group icon
laugh 'til we cry
Pronouns: she/her
User: 21,176

Yea that's true actually, and even if you put a limit on how many potentials someone posts it still doesn't solve the problem Yu pointed out entirely. I guess it's just one of those things we don't know what issues will arise from it until we've had a contest using the new rule. Hopefully, as you said Iz, people will be mature and considerate enough to not steal someones entry. I do think it's a good thing though, my previous post was just a thought.

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 11th July 2016, 12:44 AM
Post #53
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

QUOTE(Oricon @ Jul 10 2016, 04:46 PM) *
That simply doesn't work as it means there won't be a fair fight for confirmation of highly sought after songs, but instead someone who posts like 20 potentials incredibly early will have first dib on their confirmed entry compared to everyone else.
Considering I am that person who has 20+ potentials on my back log, I swear on my life that I won't do this.

(I already know what I'm sending next month so there's another reason)

+Quote this post
m
post 11th July 2016, 08:08 AM
Post #54
Group icon
I asked for my account to be banned
User: 7,132

QUOTE(Iz~ @ Jul 11 2016, 12:51 AM) *
what happens if you choose not to post your potentials and then someone else posts the song you're thinking you might send? Best to say to them then that you are thinking of sending it and try to resolve it privately - like I said earlier, either one of you bows out or you decide that you may fight for it and whoever gets there first wins.

Again, what happens if you don't see it in their national thread? It might happen that someone will end up sending a song you posted, having not seen it in the national thread. In that case, it does seem to just be "whoever gets there first wins"... If you don't see it, then that provides no opportunity to resolve it privately.

+Quote this post
FrankLuck
post 11th July 2016, 06:26 PM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 10,284

All in all, if you dare posting potentials, you'd better be fast with confirming - sounds fun.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 28th August 2016, 10:39 PM
Post #56
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

QUOTE(Silas @ Jul 10 2016, 08:02 PM) *
Potential sharing we have no problem with at all. What you're not allowed to do is reveal which entry you've confirmed so dropping hints that mean half a dozen people instantly know what song you confirmed then you're breaking that rule.

To recycle Iz's example above, if you have three potentials all by a band called "Shooting Star" and then post a pic of a shooting star, that's no a problem because there's no way you could infer from that what's been sent.

If the songs were called 'Galaxy', 'Love Story' and 'Waterfront' and you post a picture of the milky way, then you could infer that what was confirmed was 'Galaxy'.

*cough cough*If you want me to be super chill and not all serious mod all the time, please save me from having to repeat myself month after month*cough cough*

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 01:45 PM