BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Suffragette, 12th October
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J❄️hq
post Sep 19 2015, 04:31 PM
Post #1
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674

Sounds like Carey Mulligan may be getting her 2nd Oscar nod.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Sep 19 2015, 08:37 PM
Post #2
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
Yeah looking forward to seeing this. I am surprised that there hasn't been a big film about this particular movement already, but I think it's come at the perfect time.

+Quote this post
Cameron
post Sep 23 2015, 04:18 PM
Post #3
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
User: 18,061
I am so excited for this! After studying the movement for 4 years, I can't wait to finally see it all acted out

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post Oct 13 2015, 03:13 PM
Post #4
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674
Carey sounds like a lock for a 'Best Actress' nom but I don't think she'd deserve to win and I don't think the movie needs any more nods.

It was good but I didn't find it completely engaging all the way through. The ending felt abrupt too, like there was more story to tell than just a few sentences on screen to explain what happened after the events that were portrayed.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post Oct 18 2015, 02:25 PM
Post #5
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692
Agree with Jahq, would be very shocked if Carey wasn't nominated, she put in an excellent performance and I really felt for her when she was dragged into it against her will really and ended up losing everything, the son's adoption scene was heartbreaking and the way she delivered the remember that name line was fantastic. Loved all the supporting characters (Helena Bonham Carter heart.gif) who all helped turn into a thrilling rebellion story whilst giving the Suffragettes the recognition they deserved too biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Cameron
post Oct 30 2015, 05:06 PM
Post #6
Group icon
THE BLAZE *.*
User: 18,061
I saw this today, absolutely fantastic! Some of the scenes were difficult to watch but all in all it really hit me. Meryl Streep was in it for all of 5 minutes laugh.gif

+Quote this post
richie
post Nov 9 2015, 09:14 AM
Post #7
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller
User: 166
QUOTE(J▲hq @ Oct 13 2015, 03:13 PM) *
The ending felt abrupt too, like there was more story to tell than just a few sentences on screen to explain what happened after the events that were portrayed.

I keep hearing this, but what better way to end it? The Emily Davison incident is THE iconic incident in the struggle and happened just months before the Great War. What I find amazing is how well the director gave us that moment - we all knew it was coming but it was so well done that it left us all feeling chilled.

Some say "what happened to Maude?" but I think the film gives you enough to fill in the blanks yourself however you want to. She was merely representing the few working class women who got involved in the campaign and perhaps this is the film-makers way of showing that this particular character was allowed to become anonymous again by Gleeson's character. I dunno, but I didn't need or want any more.

As for Oscar nods, Sarah Gavron deserves the Best Director Oscar but irony has a habit of wielding its funny little fist around these things and it'll probably go to a bloke for a blokey film.

+Quote this post
Insomnio
post Jan 18 2017, 09:45 AM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 10,742
"Suffragette" is a historical period drama that was released in my country almost a year ago. The film is based on the suffragette movement, which was active in the United Kingdom in the early 20th century. The film concentrates in 1912-1913. No other director has dealt with this issue in the past, so I imagine that a large proportion of viewers -outside the UK- would not know many things about it. For this reason, the film is certainly an important factor to inform the public for this political event, which literally was buried under the carpet of world history.
"Suffragette" is inspired by true events, however, so some characters of the movie were fictional. What is more, screenwriter Abi Morgan aptly added the character of Maude (Carey Mulligan) in the story, using the historical figures of that time in minor roles. The suffragettes was a movement of women from the working and middle class, who fought for the right to vote and for equal treatment by men over 100 years ago! Although in the beginning, they began with peaceful protests and popular gatherings, they realized that none of their demands were met and therefore led to extreme methods and behaviors. The director of the film Sarah Gavron has done an amazing job in the representation of the time while Abi Morgan's script is well written and enlighted. The interpretation of the leading actress Carey Mulligan was excellent and she should have been nominated for "Best Actress" in last year's Oscar! Other performances were also good, although Meryl Streep promoted misleading from the marketing team of the film. She was only on screen for 4 minutes.
"Suffragette" is a very good movie that makes widely known the actions of an important women's movement. I think "Suffragette" was deliberately ignored by the Academy members since 76% are men, while their average age is 63 years old. So, it was very unlikely that this film would be featured in the Oscar. However, this does not necessarily mean that "Suffragette" is addressed only to female audience. After the struggles that were fought by the suffragettes for their political rights, which is taken for granted nowadays. I would highly recommend it!

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:50 AM