BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Results - Ariana Grande: The Music Video Rate, full results on pg. 5
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
LewisGT
post 6th October 2020, 03:49 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293

Everyday is her 2nd worse video for me. I just don't like the concept. Disappointing single & disappointing video, certainly not a highlight of her career.

New post coming soon smile.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JulianNial
post 6th October 2020, 06:50 PM
Post #22
Group icon
Julian Nial
User: 18,454

QUOTE(LewisGT @ Oct 6 2020, 04:49 PM) *
...certainly not a highlight of her career.

Certainly not, I was SO disappointed with the single selection in the first place and the video didn't help me to like the decision.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 6th October 2020, 06:59 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

26 Baby I
Yours Truly

Total Score: 53.5 - Average Score: 5.94

Into You it: JulianNial, Bré, Jade (7)
thank u, next: Michael (4)

Continuing the trend of her early career videos dropping out first (only two of the videos so far have been released this side of 2013), ‘Baby I’ is the next video to depart. With almost a perfect 6 average I think we all seemed to agree that this is not necessarily a bad video per se, but doesn’t really do anything to stand out amongst the rest of her videography.

What I remember this video for the most is the awkward dancing. Coming at a time where she was still mainly known for playing Cat Valentine on teen sitcom Victorious, Ariana was still only 20 years old when this was released. She might not be as confident as the woman we see nailing the moves in her latest video (the Lady Gaga assisted ‘Rain On Me’), but this this is probably the most choreography we had seen in any of vids before ROM. While most of the dancing is done by her backup crew, some of whom would continue to been in her MVs and tours for years to come, Ariana does bust some moves of her own. One thing that is undeniable is that everyone looks like they’re having a blast filming this.

Ariana said the inspiration for the video was ‘90’s throwback’. Before the video was released, she promised “lots of colour" and lots of baggy clothes”. And while she certainly delivered on the bright element, I can’t see too much baggy clothes. laugh.gif I can kinda see the 90’s aesthetic with the graffiti and the dancing on empty streets but I think she’s had much more success with concepts further on in her career.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 6th October 2020, 07:14 PM
Post #24
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

The first one where I’ve been one of the highest scores! The video for ‘Baby I’ was pretty fun to re-watch. Although yes, definitely some awkward dancing to be found laugh.gif I loved the whole journey of her videography as you can see how much she’s come on as a performer.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 7th October 2020, 05:37 PM
Post #25
Group icon
Alone and wounded

25 The Way
Yours Truly

Total Score: 55 - Average Score: 6.11 (more 10s)

Into You it: ...ready for it (9)
thank u, next: Michael (4)

The 'Yours Truly' era videos continue to drop like flies as 'The Way' is out next at #25! Only 'Right There' remains from her debut studio album. Also 'Popular Song' in spirit. 'The Way' was Ariana's proper musical career launch in 2013 after the misstep of 'Put Your Hearts Up'. Rapper Mac Miller joined Ari for this single after the two were mutual fans of each other's music. It was a smash in the U.S. where it became her first ever top 10 single. Here in the U.K. it had to settle for a frustrating #41. The video has pulled in an impressive 400 million views over the years despite not quite being up there as an Ariana signature song. It sits just outside her top 10 most viewed music videos ever.

'The Way' will always hold sentimental value for me due to being the first Ariana song and video I ever saw. My friend was really excited for the premiere of it and we watched it together one science lesson. Retrospectively it's also sweet to see the Ariana and Mac dynamic in action after his tragic passing. The two were just friends at the time of filming but would become an item a few years later. However, they were playing romantic interests already for 'The Way'. It's a simple video that relies on the chemistry between the two. I guess you'd expect a loved up video from a hook proclaiming "I love the way you make me feel". The two embrace and even share a kiss towards the end. It's quite a positive video on the whole with the flirty smiling love interests, an upbeat dance troupe and balloons covering the floor.

I guess there's not a whole lot to take away from the video if you're not invested in the love story as the plot is otherwise thin on the ground. It was still very early days in Ari's career so the budget wasn't quite being blown yet. Michael wasn't really feeling the video - awarding it the lowest score of 4 - while ...ready for it? was the biggest fan of 'The Way's visuals, with a score of 9 - the highest mark given to anything so far.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 8th October 2020, 03:42 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

When I saw the video for The Way was when I first fell in love with Ari so I have fond memories of the video.

Mac & Ari really did have great chemistry heart.gif

+Quote this post
JulianNial
post 8th October 2020, 04:47 PM
Post #27
Group icon
Julian Nial

24 MONOPOLY (Ariana Grande & Victoria Monét)
thank u, next (Japanese deluxe edition)

Total Score: 55 - Average Score: 6.11 (more 10s)

Into You it: LewisGT (10)
thank u, next: Michael (3)

We have our first 10 score from fellow mod LewisGT for the organic, intentionally homemade looking video for the bisexual self-empowerment anthem 'MONOPOLY' with long term collaborator and close friend of Ariana; 'Victoria Monét'. The track was met with a mixed reaction and would go on to be included on the Japanese Deluxe of 'thank u, next', but also helped to bring Victoria more into the spotlight.

Directed by Alfredo Flores and Ricky Alvarez, the video was filmed in Connecticut during the 'sweetener World Tour'.

It show cases the girls bubbly personalities, forward fashion sense and chemistry. It incorporates PowerPoint esque animations, including the iconic discography part.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 8th October 2020, 04:51 PM
Post #28
Group icon
Alone and wounded

That's definitely lower than I was expecting for 'MONOPOLY' ohmy.gif I know the song isn't that popular on here but the video is so much fun! Especially the discography shoutout as you mentioned in the commentary - one of my favourite Ariana GIFs kink.gif

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 9th October 2020, 08:25 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Monopoly is one of the funnest videos. So many inconic GIFS derrived from the video. Deserved better!!!

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 9th October 2020, 08:25 PM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

23 Let Me Love You (feat. Lil Wayne)
Dangerous Woman

Total Score: 56.5 - Average Score: 6.28

Into You it: LewisGT (10)
thank u, next: JulianNial (5)

Never released as a single, I think a lot of people never realised Let Me Love You received a video. Unceremoniously released between the videos for Dangerous Woman & Into You as a timed Apple Music exclusive, it has still managed to rack up an impressive 260 million views on YouTube. There’s not too much plot to discuss here but the video is notable for showing Ariana, quite literally, with her hair down. While the iconic and ubiquitous ponytail does make an appearance, Ari also embraces her curls which is a rare sight indeed. This suits the darker and sexier themes found across the Dangerous Woman era and in particular the slower and subdued vibes to this song.

I gave this video the second 10 on the rate so far (after giving the last song the first ten) and that’s mainly because I think this is the most beautiful Ariana has looked in any of her videos. The curly hair is such a good look! In the video she is mostly shown lying in a bed, walking around a coast and eventually posing with Lil Wayne who makes a suitably awkward appearance, looking a little bit out of place with his ‘Make America Skate Again’ cap on his head and a lean cup in hand. Surprisingly, Ari & Wayne do actually show a little bit of chemistry together, especially at the end of the video where they share some hysterical laughter.

The video was directed by Grant Singer who is most notable for directing some of The Weeknd’s biggest hits, including Can’t Feel My Face, The Hills, Starboy and Call Out My Name. He must be disappointed he never got the call up to direct Love Me Harder laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Jade
post 9th October 2020, 08:31 PM
Post #31
Group icon
Alone and wounded

'Side to Side' is the only 'Dangerous Woman' era video I particularly care for tbh but not complaining about the 'Let Me Love You' one existing as this great album deserves to be showcased as much as possible wub.gif as a fellow curly girl myself I approve of the rare natural hair appearance! Lil Wayne definitely looks out of place laugh.gif

+Quote this post
JulianNial
post 10th October 2020, 08:01 AM
Post #32
Group icon
Julian Nial

Not even going to lie, I feel harsh and incorrect for only giving it 5. She is stunning in that video. But then every video.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 10th October 2020, 03:35 PM
Post #33
Group icon
Alone and wounded

22 Right There (feat. Big Sean)
Yours Truly

Total Score: 57 - Average Score: 6.33

Into You it: JulianNial + LewisGT (7.5)
thank u, next: Michael (3)

Next to drop out is 'Right There'! This means that 'Yours Truly' is Ariana's only studio album without any representation in the top 20. Oops. 'Right There' was the third and final single pushed from this debut album. It failed to gain much commercial success even with Big Sean on board as a feature. He is one of Ariana's ex-boyfriends, so it may seem like a kick in the teeth for him to have been cast as the priest instead of the love interest in the video, but they didn't start dating until 2014. So just like for 'The Way' it was love that hadn't blossomed yet in real life.

One could say that 'Right There' has performed best from the 'Yours Truly' era because they put more effort into the aesthetics. The budget definitely seems bigger and the main location of a mansion was a very grandeur pick. This building houses a costume party that Ariana attends amongst several other people. She is dressed up as Juliet from the famous William Shakespeare play. Her love interest, played by Patrick Schwarzenegger (yes, son of Arnold!), is Romeo from the same play and the two spend most of the duration of the video trying to find each other at the party. It concludes with them getting their happy ending by lounging next to a pool together. Big Sean gets to chill on a throne as the priest and also acts as the narrator of the story. The whole concept is very cliché for a love story but it's nice to look at with the impressive location and everyone's masquerade ball outfits. Ariana fanning herself feels like the most memorable moment overall. It actually lives on as one of the only GIFs that comes up when you type 'Ariana Grande' into the search bar when trying to put together an instagram story.

My fellow mods Julian and Lewis propped this one up a bit with their joint highest score of 7.5. Michael dragged it away from the top 20 with his lowest score of 3. Those top scores do not seem particularly impressive but it received quite a lot of 7s as well, so it essentially feels like part of the furniture but not an absolute essential in this rate.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 10th October 2020, 05:29 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Right There is a nice video and probably is the best video of the Yours Truly era (even if I do prefer The Way). 22 is probably about right for it.

It was nice to see a bit of a concept and story in this one even if it was a bit of a clichéd one.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 11th October 2020, 02:40 PM
Post #35
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

I can understand why it's this low but I think the low budget aesthetic for the 'MONOPOLY' video suits it really well.

+Quote this post
JulianNial
post 18th October 2020, 02:48 PM
Post #36
Group icon
Julian Nial

Hi everyone! I'm back, apologies for the delay, I decided to go away for my birthday whilst I still could. And OH BOY did I come back to exciting news about the new single/album etc. Exciting times ahead.

Anyway I will keep this quite short and sweet because I also came back to discover that my Wi-Fi has stopped working so I'm working off Mobile Tethering (Theoretically getting fixed tomorrow, but Virgin Media tend to be as helpful as a plank.) ANYWAY... back to it!

21 Dangerous Woman
Dangerous Woman

Total Score: 57.5 - Average Score: 6.39

Into You it: LewisGT (9.5)
thank u, next: Cameron (4)

It's the title track from Ariana's 3rd studio album 'Dangerous Woman'.

Oozing sex appeal, the track received a rather simple but beautiful video. Ariana can be seen posing, sporting black lingerie with a very rare hair down moment in front of white curtain whilst the lighting switches between blue, pink and purple. A static effect was also added on top of the footage to give a more vintage feel.

This is only ONE of the TWO videos that were planned. Ariana said "I wanted to do a simpler more glam-themed video — and then I wanted to do another video because it makes me feel... like a super version of myself in a way.”, so who knows what the other version would have been like. I'm imagining some kind of Super Hero or 007 vibe as she went on further to explain that it followed a storyline and was very cinematic. The second version was cancelled due to time constraints.

To this date the official video has accumulated over 580 million streams.

Score wise, fellow mod 'LewisGT' gave it the highest score with a very nice 9.5 and '...ready for it' scored it a strong 9, together propping up the average by quite a bit, since the most common score from voters was a 5. 'Cameron' scored it only a little lower than the common score, giving it a 4.

This post has been edited by JulianNial: 18th October 2020, 02:51 PM

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 18th October 2020, 08:51 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

The Dangerous Woman video is great. Really dark and moody which suited the more mature tone of the song.

It's a shame we never got the other video because it sounded very interesting.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 18th October 2020, 09:00 PM
Post #38
Group icon
Alone and wounded

Feels about right for 'Dangerous Woman', not too interesting a video - on plug.dj someone said it should've been the backdrop of a lyric video, I agree with that!

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 18th October 2020, 10:22 PM
Post #39
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116

I love the video to Dangerous Woman. It’s simple but she looks so good and it kinda suits the song too.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 19th October 2020, 05:02 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

20 The Light Is Coming (feat. Nicki Minaj)
Sweetener

Total Score: 60 - Average Score: 6.67

Into You it: Michael (9)
thank u, next: Cameron (3)

Starting off the top 20 and also giving us the first of three appearances for Nicki Minaj is ‘The Light Is Coming’. Originally released exclusively on the Reebok website the video has received 57 million views since arriving on YouTube. This was filmed not long after Ari became attached with Reebok who celebrated by saying “In an era where brand/celebrity relationships are commonplace, and their authenticity is increasingly questioned, Reebok and Ariana Grande are breaking from the norm and doubling down on their powerful partnership by introducing fans around the world to her next music video exclusively on Reebok.com”. They got some nice advertising in too with Ariana notably wearing a pair of white Rapide trainers throughout the video.

The title of the first episode of the YouTube original series ‘Dangerous Woman Diaries’ is called The Light Is Coming and I’m sure you won’t be surprised to hear that it is (mostly) dedicated to the shooting of this video. The first thing I noticed was just how dark the video is. In fact the first thing Ari says in the behind-the-scenes is “were at the shoot for The Light Is Coming and, oh boy, I wish it would”. laugh.gif Set in a forest, the video opens up with Nicki spitting her verse in a large coat and some interesting eyewear before turning attention to Ari who runs around which a much-needed glowing orb to lighten the video up a bit. The video is directed by legendary MV director Dave Meyers (who has worked with Ariana another 3 times to make the Beauty & The Beast, No Tears… and God Is A Woman vidoes) who mumbles something about the video being a metaphor for how light guides you in life but Ari admits later in the video that she doesn’t have a clue what the video is about.

Michael gave this a very high score of 9 but Cameron did drag the overall rating down with his rating of 3. Other that that it was getting mostly pretty consistent scores between 7 and 8.

+Quote this post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 03:25 AM