BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> True Blue ● The Album Rate Results
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
...ready for it
post 8th August 2016, 12:38 AM
Post #21
Group icon
I'm not asleep, my mind is alive.
Pronouns: she/her
User: 1,454

7...wait, that's a joke, right? sad.gif (oh, I see, it is tongue.gif)

This post has been edited by River Lea: 8th August 2016, 12:39 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
post 9th August 2016, 10:09 PM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

WTF

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 11th August 2016, 01:42 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

07 // White Heat // Average: 7.82

~ This is a bust ~

Highest: 9.5 (Regina) Lowest: 6 (mr_pmt)

As predicted, 'White Heat' is out next (not 'Papa Don't Preach' - sorry guys!). It begins with a soundbite of the 1949 James Cagney-starring film of the same name, which adds to the retro/Madonna's childhood interests/love theme of the album and gives a sense of prestige. The song doesn't quite live up to that status and feels obvious as the first album track following two such killer starts, but it is still so feel good with a chorus that becomes more of an earworm as it progresses. Songs like these are necessary on albums that hold more serious or complex vibes to them and 'White Heat' continues to proves Madonna's ability to make you wanna get into the groove.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 11th August 2016, 06:28 PM
Post #24
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

I was on the phone and actually believed the 'Papa Don't Preach' being 7th when I saw as my attention was divided. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Tyler
post 11th August 2016, 07:30 PM
Post #25
Group icon
If people hate you, don’t hate them.
User: 67

QUOTE(liamk97 @ Aug 4 2016, 06:15 AM) *
07 // Papa Don't Preach // Average: 6.86

~ Papa I know you're going to be upset ~

JUST KIDDING x

I almost fainted.

(Pa- so sorry for missing this! One of my favorite albums of all time. wub.gif)

This post has been edited by Tyler: 11th August 2016, 07:30 PM

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 12th August 2016, 12:14 AM
Post #26
Group icon
User: 13,007

White Heat is OK. But that's all the "filler" done now (I mean none of them are really filler but you know what I mean) so it's strictly down to the AWESOME stuff now.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 13th August 2016, 10:35 AM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(HausofKubrick @ Aug 12 2016, 01:14 AM) *
White Heat is OK. But that's all the "filler" done now (I mean none of them are really filler but you know what I mean) so it's strictly down to the AWESOME stuff now.

Yeah that makes sense. The singles are all killer and is probably widely accepted as her best run of singles (obviously there's the Confessions singles but that's more from just a fan's perspective); then there's 'Where's the Party?' which I feel really does hold its own against similar Madonna songs that were even singles.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 14th August 2016, 12:40 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

06 // Where's the Party? // Average: 8.32

~ I want to free my soul ~

Highest: 10 (SamJudd, River Lea) Lowest: 7 (dandy, mr_pmt)

I'll let you into a secret: until the last minute, this was actually in the Top 5, ahead of one of the singles, which I think says a lot as to how great this track is. Seeking freedom in music has been a key theme in Madonna's music ever since her first single 'Everybody' and it takes centre stage in 'Where's the Party?'. It's based on self-advice Madonna gave herself whenever she was experiencing a tough time from the press - whenever it got on top of her, she'd shake herself off and seek out the happiness she originally set her eyes on when becoming a star. She sings of a coming-of-age, having to work hard all week and deal with the usual struggles of life, but remembering that the weekend offers her time to be herself and let her inhibitions go. She can become one with music and just let her body do what comes naturally. It's a simple message but nevertheless an important one and Madonna ensures that everyone else will feel the way she herself wants to feel by supplying such a strong hook of a chorus that is memorable and exudes joy. It's the sort of lyric that can be belted out across a stadium and get everyone repeating back, to the point where the song actually proves itself a worthy competitor to the likes of 'Holiday' and 'Music'.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 14th August 2016, 07:19 PM
Post #29
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

'White Heat' - Yes definitely in the right place here, a really good album track no complaints.

'Where's The Party' - Another definite firm fave of mine and stands as one of Madonna's best album tracks, a definite standout moment on 'True Blue', so joyous and full of energy and really fun and positive. I really like the timeless message it has and can appeal to just about anyone, really love the lyric "Don't wanna grow to old to fast, gotta make the good times last, I'm ready now....

I honestly think the fact that it wasn't made a single, makes it a whole lot more special, as the 5 released were just perfect And even if this was made a single it would have probably been a big hit like all the others, and I also like it in it's remixed form on 'You Can Dance', which didn't have any proper singles released and this could have been a promo release from that or something, well it's just an idea.

Anyway great track and in the definite right place here. I think the next track to fall will be 'True Blue'.

+Quote this post
Tyler
post 19th August 2016, 12:04 AM
Post #30
Group icon
If people hate you, don’t hate them.
User: 67

'Where's The Party', if this were on almost any other pop album it would be one of, if not THE shining moment of the album.

So, instead of saying "aw that should be higher", I'll just say what an amazing album!

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 19th August 2016, 09:57 AM
Post #31
Group icon

Where's the Party has become a firm favourite of mine after delving into this album a fair bit more with the 30 year anniversary. I adore it and the "I'm not living in fear, I'm just living in chaos" lyric is one of my favourite singular moments of the entire album wub.gif It's such a simple song but packed full of joy and release!

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 19th August 2016, 01:25 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

05 // True Blue // Average: 8.36

~ I'm so excited 'cause you're my best friend ~

Highest: 11 (Josh.) Lowest: 5 (mr_pmt)

Remaining Top 5 by the skin of its teeth, thanks to a generous 11 from Josh., is title track 'True Blue'. The song name comes from an expression used by then-husband Sean Penn, of whom the song is dedicated to, and Madonna adopts a persona and sound of 60s girl groups and doo-wop, both of which are usually associated with the theme of unconditional love. The cutesy, teen-ish vocals adds to the charm and innocent nature of the song; qualities that are certainly the main selling points. I've sometimes got the impression that some find this sound too 'beneath' Madonna and she's expected to deliver something bold and fresh rather than harking back to past glories, but I find this song so endearing with a melody that gets into your head just like any other Madonna song and, as a one-off and 'suitable-of-the-moment' song, I truly revel in it.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 19th August 2016, 01:32 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(Tyler @ Aug 19 2016, 01:04 AM) *
'Where's The Party', if this were on almost any other pop album it would be one of, if not THE shining moment of the album.

So, instead of saying "aw that should be higher", I'll just say what an amazing album!

This is how I feel about Confessions tbh. It never dips under 7/10 quality for me so you get some real gems of songs appearing only mid-way on my album rank, when they'd appear higher on other pop albums.

It would have been nice if 'Where's the Party?' could have stayed above 'True Blue' just to emphasise how good it is if an album track can appear higher than a single (I know that's a really naive view but it would look nice).

+Quote this post
post 22nd August 2016, 12:05 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

True Blue heart.gif

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 23rd August 2016, 08:14 AM
Post #35
Group icon

Yeah I think I would've wanted 'Where's The Party' above this too bit it's still a lovely song <3 the video is questionable though lol ~

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 23rd August 2016, 08:42 PM
Post #36
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(HausofKubrick @ Aug 23 2016, 09:14 AM) *
Yeah I think I would've wanted 'Where's The Party' above this too bit it's still a lovely song <3 the video is questionable though lol ~

I can accept the video because she's clearly taking on a role in it and maybe being a bit tongue-n-cheek with the whole 60s theme; otherwise it is definitely corny and cheesy.

-x-

If you ignore the chart success (it would be crazy to do this if you considered that, given 'True Blue' reached #1, is one of her best sellers, and has been estimated to have sold 100k in one of its chart weeks), I'd have swapped 'Open Your Heart' and 'True Blue' around and have them as singles #3 and #4 respectively. I feel 'True Blue' has a very Christmasy quality about it thanks to the bells in the chorus and the melody in general, so I think it would suit the November release 'Open Your Heart' had (it could have been remixed slightly to emphasise the Christmasy sounds, like what Little Mix did for 'Love Me Like You'). Also, I just like the flow of 'Papa Don't Preach' to 'Open Your Heart' on the album, so I think it would have worked nicely for their single releases to be next to each other.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 3rd September 2016, 09:55 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

04 // Live to Tell // Average: 9.5

~ I've learned my lesson well ~

Highest: 11 (vibe) Lowest: 8 (HausofKubrick, Josh.)

9.5 points would usually suggest a winning score but, with an album with so many highs, first single 'Live to Tell' has to settle with fourth place. It was a daring choice to commence the True Blue era, particularly for an artist who was at this point closely associated with happy, big pop moments or, not so positively, "Minnie Mouse On Helium", but she pulled it off and it put her in a much better position for having a career with longevity. The lengthy introduction sets the mood, with the drawn out chords and chimes supplying suspense and drama, although I also find there's also a hint of something more uplifting, but that could be something I only notice due to the themes of hope explored later in the song. Madonna's delivery with the first line of "I have a tale to tell" is completely different to anything we've heard before from her, even compared to previous ballads of 'Crazy for You' or 'Love Don't Live Here Anymore'. It's very understated but you can hear such vulnerability and you genuinely believe she's experienced something upsetting. The lyrics talk about the struggle of such an experience and being afraid to reveal it, but also holding onto the hope that, one day, she'll be strong enough to do so. It's such a complex, mix of emotions without ever giving much away, so the reliance of delivering this is firmly on Madonna - she must tell the story with essentially just her voice and it's something she pulls off spectacularly. Madonna still to this date gets criticism of not having a strong voice, which is perhaps true on '''technical''' terms, but it takes a great deal of skill to convey emotion in the way she does so.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 3rd September 2016, 10:02 PM
Post #38
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

True Blue is actually my FAVOURITE all time Madge single, it just has one of the most infectious pop melodies ever.

For me her top three tracks are;
01 True Blue
02 Crazy For You
03 Open Your Heart
(04 Frozen)

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 4th September 2016, 12:27 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(Josh. @ Sep 3 2016, 11:02 PM) *
True Blue is actually my FAVOURITE all time Madge single, it just has one of the most infectious pop melodies ever.

For me her top three tracks are;
01 True Blue
02 Crazy For You
03 Open Your Heart
(04 Frozen)

A different but fab Top 4 there! 'Open Your Heart' is one of Madonna's most exciting songs; just that whole intro with the "WATCH OUT!" and the chimes is so dramatic and energetic and most definitely up there with her best openers.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 4th September 2016, 07:30 PM
Post #40
Group icon

Live To Tell is like a cinematic experience everytime I hear it. Blinding song but I have many other favourites on the album! Shocked I gave it its lowest score :')

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 10:05 PM