BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
10 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Aelandor National Thread, BJSC 159 ~ Nanashi Mumei - Mumei
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
✖ leww ✖
post 17th July 2017, 09:38 PM
Post #121
Group icon
escape in the taste of summerrrrrr
User: 9,403

loved it

slay me

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jacob-
post 30th July 2017, 09:07 PM
Post #122
Group icon
Jacob Alan~
User: 21,664

BJSC 97 // Billy Lockett - Old Man

I've been following Billy Lockett for a few years now and this has always been a standout track from him for me, his material before Old Man EP was largely acoustic guitar based but here in this track he went in a different direction, opting for wonderfully layered piano. The track itself is a tribute to his father who he had recently lost to cancer at the time of this track's release (2014), the lyrics really are quite moving. Sadly since releasing new material he took this track (up to and including this entire EP) down from all official channels and I only found this official video through a wayback machine and had to reupload it myself. I've got no idea why but I guess artists sometimes do that. It's unlisted on my backup YouTube now (the one tied to the google email I made for teams as it happens) and I'll make it public if needed for plug, however I'll likely take it down after the contest so hang on to the mp3 if you like the track!

Not expecting this to do enormously well but it's worth it bc I love the track- still hoping to qualify! Got a streak to maintain. x

+Quote this post
Jacob-
post 6th August 2017, 10:37 PM
Post #123
Group icon
Jacob Alan~

Billy Lockett has extended Aelandor's streak yet again bringing our record to 5*! This time last year I wouldn't have thought this possible. Maybe I should've entered this back then, I've known it for that long. laugh.gif

I'm so happy to have had such a positive reception, I didn't know what to expect when I entered but kind of expected to qualify after seeing the plug reaction/ predictions. Hoping to place somewhere in the mid 20s, posibly even teen in the final (still new territory for me position wise, having only placed in the 30s a few time, #40 once and more recently #5).

(*With an asterisk as Bré will never let me forget xx)

+Quote this post
Brer
post 6th August 2017, 10:48 PM
Post #124
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

The asterisk shall be forgotten when you DNQ again!! It's only there as a formality. kink.gif

Pleased this got through for you, mainly for the video which is really lovely (so yanno don't take it down etc.) but it is a very nice song too! It is very Kodaline as I believe Seven pointed out on plug.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 12th August 2017, 08:36 PM
Post #125
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

I really like this! Reminds me of the type of stuff I used to love in the 00s wub.gif

+Quote this post
Jacob-
post 12th August 2017, 11:19 PM
Post #126
Group icon
Jacob Alan~

Aww, yass Pete! I think it's a lovely song, I adore that big piano sound. wub.gif

+Quote this post
Jacob-
post 16th August 2017, 12:12 AM
Post #127
Group icon
Jacob Alan~

Forgot to post here yesterday but Billy Lockett came 20th in the BJSC 97 final, giving Aelandor their 2nd best position overall! Thanks for all the votes, particularly the medal positions, was so happy to see this song so well received. wub.gif

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 16th August 2017, 09:02 AM
Post #128
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

This was no grower for me at all, that piano playing and video instantly got to me. Lovely song to boot, so very glad I predicted you to be around 20th & then you came 20th in fact laugh.gif (was hoping it'd do even better but no big problem either way)

+Quote this post
Jacob-
post 30th August 2017, 10:57 PM
Post #129
Group icon
Jacob Alan~

Introducing

BJSC 98 // C2C - Down The Road

I first heard C2C a couple of years ago amongst a file share my old flatmate gave me, and this was the best banger in there. I love the old blues guitar in the intro then the transition into the electronic + heavy production mixing of it. In a similar vein to Gramatik (who I sent to instrumentals-- he often does this kind of thing with jazz), this combines two sounds I really love in a beautifully non intrusive way. I hope you all like it too! x

+Quote this post
Jacob-
post 30th August 2017, 10:58 PM
Post #130
Group icon
Jacob Alan~

QUOTE(Rob S @ Aug 16 2017, 10:02 AM) *
This was no grower for me at all, that piano playing and video instantly got to me. Lovely song to boot, so very glad I predicted you to be around 20th & then you came 20th in fact laugh.gif (was hoping it'd do even better but no big problem either way)
Also wub.gif - thank you Rob! heart.gif

+Quote this post
Brer
post 1st September 2017, 01:52 AM
Post #131
Group icon

Really digging this track ~ I see it was a big hit in France and a minor hit in a few other countries, I actually think it sounds like the sort of thing Radio 1 could have easily latched onto to give it a push here back when it came out!

Jade also played a couple of other C2C tracks on plug.dj after the semi 2 session as she had them as past potentials - 'Delta' sounded really good as well (quite similar to 'Down The Road')!

+Quote this post
Jacob-
post 6th September 2017, 09:09 PM
Post #132
Group icon
Jacob Alan~

Oh yeah I forgot to post it but C2C is through, extending our frankly incredible (compared to last year certainly) qualifying streak! ohmy.gif

I was kind of expecting this through based on odds and predictions but it was a relief to qualify nonetheless with 98 being such a large contest.

ADDITION AFTER CONTEST:

C2C came slightly lower than expected perhaps but 30th and in the final is still a whole lot better than most of our entries, particularly the early ones. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Jacob-
post 24th September 2017, 08:38 PM
Post #133
Group icon
Jacob Alan~

Introducing

BJSC 99 // Sœur - Slow Days

Our first self recycle (not including BJ Fest x)! Slow Days is from Sœur's EP "What Separates Us" (album art was my avatar for a while) which came out after I entered them into BJSC 89. I was kinda rushed at the deadline after being away so in retrospect I maybe should've entered "No Fire" or "Put You On" but I think Slow Days (like the band) is an underrated gem. It starts slow and builds amazingly well throughout the song.

Not sure if this'll qualify, Sœur did get me my first qualifier but it was a narrow Q and Pass Out was a bit more accessible perhaps, that said not all hope is lost- I've still got a Q streak to maintain and I can think of a few people who could well be into this. x

+Quote this post
Jacob-
post 2nd October 2017, 09:22 PM
Post #134
Group icon
Jacob Alan~

Our Q streak is dead! sad.gif

"Slow Days" came 21st in the semi final, a mere 4 points off qualifying. To be fair, I didn't expect to qualify- I actually submitted this in the last few minutes before the confirmations closed because I only just realised it was the deadline and I just picked a song I'd really been getting into so I'm glad it was that close! Thanks for all the points and Aelandor will be back in full force for BJSC 100 (once I decide what I'm sending- it'll be good though x).

+Quote this post
Jacob-
post 19th October 2017, 09:20 PM
Post #135
Group icon
Jacob Alan~

Ok help please.

Hopefully that's varied enough. x

Honestly I'm really stuck, so any pointers are appreciated!

+Quote this post
Jacob-
post 29th October 2017, 01:25 AM
Post #136
Group icon
Jacob Alan~

Introducing

BJSC 100 // Meadowlark - Headlights

I've been following Meadowlark since their formation and a couple of weeks ago I had the opportunity to see them live! Meadowlark is a duo (formerly a trio) with piano, guitar and lots and lots of synths/ electronic drums. They had such an interesting set up live- atmospheric low lit light-bulbs surrounding the stage, a keyboard and analogue synth, electric guitar, several synthpads/ triggers and synth drums (those ones you hit with real sticks but aren't exactly drums) and running through Ableton (DAW software- I could see it from where I was standing). I met up with Liam and stayed at his that evening because I missed the last train back and he lives in Plymouth where I saw the gig... so appropriate entry considering he's hosting (even if this isn't his thing really- he didn't come to the gig laugh.gif ). "Headlights" is the opening track from their debut LP "Postcards" and for me it packs a punch, I think Kate's voice is absolutely beautiful and here is no exception. It has a slow build, gradually adding more throughout the song and hits at just the right moments. One of my favourites from them. Was very close to sending Pink Heart as well so check that out if you like Headlights!

Meadowlark has been entered to BJSC before with Family Tree (lovely song) and came 3rd so this entry has a lot to live up to! The lead singer Kate McGill also has a previous BJSC entry (from a long way back- before she formed Meadowlark) with Diamonds and Waste- that was how I discovered her (when Iz was playing it way back) then ended up following her music for years! I finally got to meet her after the show two weeks ago and she gave me a hug when I told her how long I'd been following her the sweetie. Got a signed poster (signed by Kate and Dan) + a vinyl as well. I'm a bit of a fan. x

Diamonds and Waste was also actually covered by Bastille (I think quite early on- possibly before they broke) and they do a great version of the song too (will link them both below).

+Quote this post
Jacob-
post 17th January 2018, 11:12 PM
Post #137
Group icon
Jacob Alan~

BJSC Andra Chansen // Swimming With Dolphins - Silhouettes

Finally getting round to making a post for this! Huge thanks to Dalisska for entering ages ago. I have known and loved "Silhouettes" for years and when I found out it was a previous BJSC entry I jumped at the chance to re-enter it myself. There's a beautiful dreamy quality to the song (while it still manages to be really upbeat!) and that sound is starting to get nostalgic to me- the late 00s early 10s indie electronic thing that was around on the internet so much for ages. This song still gets me really emotional, I was listening to this and other tracks like it when I was first getting into music. I really hope some of you guys have made this gem of a discovery from this!

Also, Breanne Duren's vocals are featured in this (partial self-recycle x).

+Quote this post
Jacob-
post 22nd January 2018, 01:59 AM
Post #138
Group icon
Jacob Alan~

BJSC 101 // How To Destroy Angels - Welcome Oblivion

For those who don't know, How To Destroy Angels is comprised of Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross from Nine Inch Nails, as well as Trent Reznor's wife Mariqueen Maandig (the vocalist for the band) and Rob Sheridan, the digital artist and photographer for the band. They have some similarities with NiN but rather than making industrial rock they make industrial dirty electronic music (listed as Post-industrial, experimental, electronica on the source of all knowledge that is Wikipedia). I found this album through a suggestion from my friend who's a big Nine Inch Nails fan and after listening through it once instantly fell in love with the title track (as well as the preceding track "And The Sky Began To Scream" - plz check that out too!). Welcome Oblivion has this grungey, dirty, glitchy sound to it and it perfectly fits with the theme of both the song and album. I adore Mariqueen's voice and love the distortion ever more (distortion is the best right?), this track is a work of ART. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I do and give me all the points make a great discovery here!

+Quote this post
Brer
post 28th January 2018, 11:11 PM
Post #139
Group icon

As a fellow distortion enthusiast I am rooting for this *.* x

+Quote this post
Jade
post 29th January 2018, 12:28 AM
Post #140
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

This is an awesome entry Jacob! I am so here for the lil invasion of distortion in semi 2. I am not so thrilled that I cannot help you out however laugh.gif So I really hope that you'll be just fine in semi 2. One of your best for sure!

+Quote this post

10 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 09:35 PM