BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Single. The Struts & RW - Strange Days (2020), 2/9/20
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
WhoOdyssey
post 2nd September 2020, 03:54 PM
Post #1
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771
Strange Days from The Struts with Robbie Williams is out at 5pm! They're one of my favourite bands so I can't wait to hear this

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 2nd September 2020, 04:02 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Out now! Looking forward to listen in a minute

+Quote this post
Better Man
post 2nd September 2020, 04:21 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 12,584

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 2nd September 2020, 04:33 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Can't wait for the Soccer Aid performance! Just need Robbie to tweet about it now laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Better Man
post 2nd September 2020, 04:43 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Yeah! Should be a remarkable performance!

Always wanted that Rob used SA time for performance...well finally!

+Quote this post
Better Man
post 2nd September 2020, 04:57 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
British glam rockers The Struts have released their stunning new single ‘Strange Days’ which features the incomparable pop legend, Robbie Williams. It received its world exclusive first play this afternoon on BBC Radio 2 and is the title track from the band’s upcoming third album, out next month.

A magnificent, sprawling and string-laced duet, it’s a tender-hearted epic that offers incredible solace in the most chaotic of times. The song came about – along with the rest of the ten-track album – as a result of the band’s enforced lockdown during the coronavirus pandemic but started out as an idea lead singer Luke Spiller originally had on a tour bus last summer. It then took on a life of its own as a result of a chance encounter online.

“I was doing Quarantine Radio and Robbie hit me up out of the blue asking if we could talk,” explains Spiller, referring to the Instagram Live show launched by The Struts in the early days of lockdown. “We ended up Face-Timing for about two hours the first time we’d ever spoken, talking about life and music and UFOs and everything else you can think of. I asked if he’d like to work together at some point, and while we were making the album he graciously let us come over and record him singing on his front porch.”

Robbie Williams notes, “We did a vocal for a wonderful song that has been gifted my way. It’s been an absolute pleasure and a privilege to listen to this man sing. It’s great to be a fan of someone and then a part of this recording. It’s like having a hero here and I genuinely mean that.”

The Struts and Robbie Williams will be performing ‘Strange Days’ on Soccer Aid for Unicef live on ITV this coming Sunday – which is taking place at Manchester United’s Old Trafford ground. Soccer Aid for Unicef started in 2006 and is the world’s biggest charity football match. Since its launch, it has raised over £38million for Unicef, with 2019’s event raising a record-breaking £7.9million. Soccer Aid for Unicef airs on Sunday 6th September at 6.30 pm on ITV and STV.

The new single follows last week’s surprise release of the track ‘Another Hit of Showmanship’, which features Albert Hammond Jr of The Strokes and centres on another poignant vocal performance from Spiller, who deftly channels the tension between giving in to temptation and rising above your demons.

After laying down the initial version of the track, Spiller reached out to Hammond, for whom the band opened on a series of 2018 solo shows. “‘Another Hit of Showmanship’ reminds me of being at a club night called Ramshackle years ago at the O2 Academy in Bristol, where they’d play bands like The Libertines and Razorlight and Scissor Sisters, and of course The Strokes,” says Spiller. “I hit up Albert out of the blue and told him, ‘We’ve got this song, and I’m so excited to see what you would do with it.’ As soon as he got his hands on it, he took it to a whole different level—it really just shows why he’s so brilliant at what he does.”

And these two tracks are just some of the spectacular delights on offer on the Strange Days album. In an organic turn of events for a band massively embraced by some of rock-and-roll history’s greatest icons—a feat that’s included opening for The Rolling Stones, The Who, and Guns N’ Roses—Strange Days finds The Struts joining forces with not only Robbie Williams and Albert Hammond Jr, but also Def Leppard’s Joe Elliott and Phil Collen on the hip-shaking stomper ‘I Hate How Much I Want You’.

And on the band’s heaviest track to date, the fierce and filthy anthem ‘Wild Child’, the four-piece of Spiller, guitarist Adam Slack, bassist Jed Elliott, and drummer Gethin Davies, are super-charged by the blistering guitar work of Rage Against The Machine’s Tom Morello.

Elsewhere the explosive ‘All Dressed Up (With Nowhere To Go)’ unfolds in snarling power chords and exquisitely cheeky lyrics while the beautifully weary ‘Burn It Down’, finds The Struts slipping into a bittersweet mood, serving up a slow-burning ballad that sounds straight from the sessions for Exile on Main St. The sole cover song on Strange Days, ‘Do You Love Me’ sees The Struts updating a fantastically sleazy track first recorded by KISS in 1976.

Strange Days

The Strange Days album came to life over the course of a charmed and frenzied burst of creativity this spring. After getting tested for COVID-19, the band all moved into the Los Angeles home of Jon Levine, a producer who worked extensively on their acclaimed second album YOUNG & DANGEROUS. Within just ten days of couch-crashing at Levine’s house, The Struts had laid down nine original tracks alongside their masterful cover of the KISS B-side: a lean, mean body of work that amounts to their most glorious output to date.

“It was so much fun to make a record this way instead of getting everything done in between touring, working with multiple producers in multiple countries,” says Spiller. “We were all just burning to capture that excitement as much as we possibly could, and at times it felt like the songs were literally just falling from the sky. It was undoubtedly a magical ten days for us—and I hope when people hear the album, it gives them a taste of that magic too.”

Mixed by Claudius Mittendorfer (Panic! At the Disco, Arctic Monkeys, Johnny Marr), the result is a powerhouse album that lifts The Struts’ glammed-up breed of modern rock to entirely new and wildly thrilling heights.

https://www.xsnoize.com/the-struts-robbie-w...ays-listen-now/

Luke said “The song itself was pretty much a year in the making. We went into lock down as a band on the 24th of April in a residential studio, and started to work on what we thought was going to be two or three songs, and then it ended up being an entire album, so that was absolutely crazy but the lyric came it to me from talking just to people.

The word strange days and science fiction becoming reality was like this mantra that I just kept hearing. One thing I wanted to do was just capture this moment in time”.

This post has been edited by Better Man: 2nd September 2020, 05:19 PM

+Quote this post
Better Man
post 2nd September 2020, 08:57 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Also there will be a music video!
Seems they Robbie's house in LA as a location for that.

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post 2nd September 2020, 11:30 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,265
I love it - great vocals from them all dance.gif

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 3rd September 2020, 05:33 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,135
It's gorgeous , I love it wub.gif

lovely lyrics, really suits the times we are living in...so looking forward to hearing it live ... voices sound great together, really nice duet

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 3rd September 2020, 05:46 AM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
The song should do well on the radio , I hope it gets lots of airplay ..

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 3rd September 2020, 05:48 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Thinking back I wonder if all that dressing up from Ayda & Robbie some months back was a hint towards this, it had that glam rock vibe to it

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 3rd September 2020, 09:39 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Lyrics video

The Struts & Robbie Williams - Strange Days (Lyrics)

A request for subscribe and press icon which means a lot for us. Thank You 🙂

📝 Lyrics

[Verse: Luke Spiller]
When you stumble and fall get yourself off the ground
Play your favorite song and sing it out loud
Take a deep breath and in time you'll begin to smile

[Verse: Robbie Williams]
Listen to the wind, it's the sweetest of sounds
Smilin' at the stranger on the Underground
Every little thing that you do goes a long long way

[Pre-Chorus: Luke Spiller]
But we don't' talk about it
But isn't it good to be down here alive
Something money could never buy
It's worth more than a million roses

[Chorus: Luke Spiller]
Oh these are strange days
In many strange ways
Science Fiction I believe
Has become reality

[Chorus - Robbie Williams]
Oh these are strange times
Lost in our mi-minds
We don't know, it's unclear
Where we'll be this time next year

[Luke Spiller]
Oh-oh-oh-oh, Strange Days
Strange Days

[Verse - Robbie Williams]
Girls and boys are rushing to be on show
What's the hurry children you're forgetting to grow
Make the best of where you begin in this crazy world

[Robbie Williams]
So let's talk about it
I know you sometimes hate the way that you feel

[Luke Spiller]
Life's about this, what makes you real , uh-uh-uh
It's worth more than a million roses

[Chorus - The Struts]
In many strange ways
A massive stew, out of space
Send help cause we lost our way

Lost in our mi-minds
We're standing by, we can't grow
Inside of this TV show

[Luke Spiller]
Strange Days

[Instrumental]

[Chorus - The Struts]
In many strange ways
Science Fiction I believe
Has become reality

[Chorus - The Struts]
Lost in our mi-minds
We don't know, it's unclear
Where we'll be this time next year

[Luke Spiller]
Strange Days

Strange Days

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 3rd September 2020, 10:07 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
I can see why Robbie is a big fan of The Struts

This sounds so like Morrissey

+Quote this post
Better Man
post 3rd September 2020, 10:26 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Yes, they are good guys and should be more popular.
Let's hope Rob will help them too.

They looks like Queen and Stones, sounds like best rock bands and do ...thanks God....very melodic music.
And has a versality.

This post has been edited by Better Man: 3rd September 2020, 10:29 PM

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 4th September 2020, 07:14 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Robbie's finally posted it laugh.gif looking forward to tomorrow!

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post 4th September 2020, 07:18 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
How lucky are The Struts to get the opportunity to perform on live tv especially when there is nothing happening music wise at the moment in terms of live performance

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post 4th September 2020, 11:29 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Sydney11 @ Sep 4 2020, 08:18 PM) *
How lucky are The Struts to get the opportunity to perform on live tv especially when there is nothing happening music wise at the moment in terms of live performance

I think normally @ 5 million people watch Soccer Aid - so that's a big audience.

I wonder if they'll pre record it before the match starts rather than actually do it live with all that it entails?

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 5th September 2020, 11:48 AM
Post #18
Group icon
Can't wait!

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 5th September 2020, 03:26 PM
Post #19
Group icon
You can vote for Strange Days in Track of the Week here! - http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=238113

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post 5th September 2020, 11:12 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(WhoOdyssey @ Sep 5 2020, 04:26 PM) *
You can vote for Strange Days in Track of the Week here! - http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=238113

and I have happy.gif

+Quote this post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 05:04 PM