BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -
5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Head of Radio 1 proposes chart shake-up, He wants to include airplay in the charts, like that'll help...
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
TheSnake
post Jul 14 2016, 02:18 PM
Post #81
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
Group: Memberrs
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

To be fair things were getting bad at the start of this decade, we had Airplanes, Love The Way You Lie, Ho Hey, Earthquake, Someone Like You etc spending ages (over 25 weeks) in the top 40 of the chart anyway.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
danG
post Jul 14 2016, 02:39 PM
Post #82
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

well if we're ever going to get interesting chart turnover, the best solution to that would be to follow the US and turn the chart into a 'Hot 100' by introducing some recurrent rules.

My idea would be:
- a song's been in the top 40 for 20 weeks and is outside of the top 20 = OUT
- a song's been in the top 100 for 20 weeks and is outside the top 40 = OUT

which is similar to the US rules, but also means we don't get songs spending 40 weeks in the top 40.

Under those rules, last week the following:
- 'Hymn For The Weekend', 'Lush Life', '7 Years', 'Work', 'Light It Up' and 'Fast Car' would've been excluded from the top 40 and replaced with
- 'Tilted', 'Wherever I Go', 'Hype', 'Mamacita', 'We Don't Talk Anymore' and 'Ride', which are much fresher songs you probably agree.

+Quote Post
zenon
post Jul 14 2016, 02:44 PM
Post #83
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 8,809
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(danG @ Jul 14 2016, 03:39 PM) *
well if we're ever going to get interesting chart turnover, the best solution to that would be to follow the US and turn the chart into a 'Hot 100' by introducing some recurrent rules.

My idea would be:

which is similar to the US rules, but also means we don't get songs spending 40 weeks in the top 40.

- 'Hymn For The Weekend', 'Lush Life', '7 Years', 'Work', 'Light It Up' and 'Fast Car' would've been excluded from the top 40 and replaced with
- 'Tilted', 'Wherever I Go', 'Hype', 'Mamacita', 'We Don't Talk Anymore' and 'Ride', which are much fresher songs you probably agree.

I like your idea then Piece Of Me would be at #33 instead of #39.

+Quote Post
danG
post Jul 14 2016, 02:48 PM
Post #84
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

Also, the chart should remain tracking from Friday to Friday, but the chart show should be brought back to being broadcast on a Sunday, from 4 to 7 pm, with the full top 100 revealed on the site at 7.

This would also solve the problem of the estimated Thursday streaming sales and thus make the chart more accurate.

(I hope the OCC is reading this)

+Quote Post
TheSnake
post Jul 14 2016, 03:29 PM
Post #85
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(danG @ Jul 14 2016, 03:39 PM) *

My idea would be:

Fast Car in the chart for 25 weeks. Last years How Deep is Your Love 32 weeks. Let's compare this to other iconic dance songs of their respective years - 11 weeks in top 40 for Love Inc - Superstar in 2002, 11 weeks also for Shapeshifters - Lola's Theme in 2004, 12 weeks for Fragma - Toca's Miracle in 2000. It just shows how stale the charts are at the minute.

QUOTE(SKOB @ Jul 14 2016, 12:52 PM) *
I have a problem when people are trying to END a song's life on chart, as 4 months or sth is the longest time a song can be a hit.. It's very strange considering that I'm still listening to the songs that were hits couple of years ago.

Even if it made room for other songs it doesn't mean those other songs somehow become bigger hits. It doesn't work that way.

Plus I think that song's life cycle is actually shorter now that it was for example in the 90s when one could hear Wonderwall among others for 2 years at least.

Yes but Wonderwall only had an original run of 17 weeks in the top 40 (and two separate weeks later in 1996 and 2012) which is nothing compared to today's big hits.

QUOTE(danG @ Jul 13 2016, 07:29 AM) *
iPhone autocorrects airplay to AirPlay for some reason.

I prefer AirPlay to airplay anyway it looks more elegant and sophisticated smile.gif

+Quote Post
*Ben*
post Jul 14 2016, 04:50 PM
Post #86
Chart Chat Slave
Group: Chart Veteran
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(TheSnake @ Jul 14 2016, 05:29 PM) *
I prefer AirPlay to airplay anyway it looks more elegant and sophisticated smile.gif

You can prefer it, but it means something else as airplay. In fact it's a trademark of Apple.

QUOTE(danG @ Jul 14 2016, 04:39 PM) *

My idea would be:

I'm not really a fan of exclusion, even if we have a lot of songs more than 20 weeks in the top 40. Because it's a manipulation of the chart.

+Quote Post
Dircadirca
post Jul 14 2016, 04:53 PM
Post #87
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 19,614
   No Gallery Pics

Something of interest re: the number of times people are repeating songs on Spotify. If you take the example of Joel Adams, whose song is super high worldwide on Spotify thanks to curated playlists and also only has 1 song on Spotify (at least from what I can see) so you can use the monthly stats on his page. He has had 10,390,095 listeners in the last month, and according to kworb, "Please Don't Go" has been played 37,446,797 times in the last month. This averages out to about 3.6 plays per person in the last month, which doesn't feel like very much at all to me.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Jul 14 2016, 04:59 PM
Post #88
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(danG @ Jul 14 2016, 03:48 PM) *
Also, the chart should remain tracking from Friday to Friday, but the chart show should be brought back to being broadcast on a Sunday, from 4 to 7 pm, with the full top 100 revealed on the site at 7.

This would also solve the problem of the estimated Thursday streaming sales and thus make the chart more accurate.

(I hope the OCC is reading this)

Been there, done that tongue.gif

http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=188729

+Quote Post
TheSnake
post Jul 14 2016, 05:08 PM
Post #89
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(*Ben* @ Jul 14 2016, 05:50 PM) *
You can prefer it, but it means something else as airplay. In fact it's a trademark of Apple.

You have to admit AirPlay looks pretty epic as a word though compared to the boring looking airplay

+Quote Post
*Ben*
post Jul 14 2016, 05:13 PM
Post #90
Chart Chat Slave
Group: Chart Veteran
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(TheSnake @ Jul 14 2016, 07:08 PM) *
You have to admit AirPlay looks pretty epic as a word though compared to the boring looking airplay

Sorry I can't admit it, I'm not the best person for that as I was working for Apple, and everytime I see AirPlay I think of the Apple service kink.gif

+Quote Post
Ethan
post Jul 14 2016, 05:48 PM
Post #91
3:23
Member No.: 5,269
   No Gallery Pics

the chart is literally transforming from a sales based ranking to a listening based ranking of songs right now~

you can’t fight progress ~ the streaming revolution is upon us and the brutal truth is there’s only one way this is going - sales are in terminal decline, when they reach the point that they’re deemed defunct, they’ll be completely removed from the chart.

it’s ludicrous to try to give an ailing format parity with one that’s still expanding at an astonishing rate ~ streaming is undisputedly the future ~ it’s like some luddite in 2007 trying to get CD sales extra importance over downloads because rihanna spent 10 weeks at #1~

+Quote Post
mdh
post Jul 14 2016, 05:52 PM
Post #92
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

Dan's idea was great!

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Jul 14 2016, 07:48 PM
Post #93
DROTTNING!
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

There's only one solution that I think would make the charts 'work' again: change it so that streaming a track ten times counts as a 'sale', but you can never contribute another streaming sale for that track again. Takes into account the popularity of streaming as a way of consuming music while also bringing the charts back in line with what they used to measure, and probably restores turnover in the charts to how it used to be.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:44 AM