BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Marvel Cinematic Universe: Rate Results, RESULTS DONE....
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Nina West
post May 19 2018, 10:53 PM
Post #1
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

With the recent release of the mammoth 'Avengers - Infinity War', it's time to take a look back at all 18 of the previous Marvel entries over the last 10 years and see which ones the voters on Buzzjack likes the best. A reminder below of what was featured in this rate, and all the scores have been added up and verified, all will be revealed in this thread.

Phase One
Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Thor
Captain America: The First Avenger
Marvel's The Avengers

Phase Two
Iron Man 3
Thor: The Dark World
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Guardians Of The Galaxy
Avengers: Age Of Ultron
Ant-Man

Phase Three
Captain America: Civil War
Doctor Strange
Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 2
Spider-Man Homecoming
Thor Ragnarok
Black Panther

Any thoughts any predictions as all will be revealed very soon...

This post has been edited by SamJudd: Aug 12 2018, 12:57 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Nina West
post May 21 2018, 12:13 AM
Post #2
Group icon

18. Iron Man 2 | Avg.6.125

Highest Scores: 9: (Dexton, TomboOnBroadway), Lowest Scores: 1: (Regina)

Rotten Tomatoes Scores: 73%, Worldwide Box Office: $623,933,331

Coming in dead last in the Marvel Cinematic Universe rate results is 'Iron Man 2' released in 2010 as the sequel to 2008's 'Iron Man' as the 3rd film in the MCU. It received positive reviews, although not on the level of the first one and was a commercial success with $623.9 Million at the worldwide box office on a production budget of about $200 Million, and even received an Academy Award nomination for Best Visual Effects.

I honestly don't find this all that bad, yes it has several flaws which I will go into in a moment, but on the whole it's still pretty fun and it does has good moments. Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark is fantastic as always, he totally nailed the character in the first one and successfully carries that over into this one with all that usual charm and charisma. This is where we get to see his fall from grace, and his personal demons with regards to his love life and alcoholism comes into play. Plus we have the introduction of War Machine, although Rhodey was re-cast for the sequel with Don Cheadle, who I personally find much better in the role as he brings a lot more life and vibrancy to the role. His relationship with Stark is a big part of the movie, a continuation of a strong bond, which will be important throughout the MCU. Plus we do have some awesome action scenes, namely the racetrack scene with Whiplash wielding electric whips, which was very visually interesting and exciting. Then finally we also get the pleasure of Black Widow's introduction into this universe along with Samuel L Jackson's Nick Fury.

Now the bad points, firstly this does unfortunately make the classic superhero sequel mistake - by cramming in way too many characters as well as bringing up some interesting ideas, such as the alcoholism and the arc reactor but then not doing anything with them and dismissing them quite quickly like they didn't matter. Mickey Rourke as the villain Whiplash, certainly looked the part, but apart from that one great action scene, he's basically a throwaway bad guy coming across more weird than compelling, giving a don't care performance. Thankfully we do have another villain Justin Hammer played by Sam Rockwell who gives a lot more effort and hamming it up big time, but the movie doesn't give him much to do as with Scarlet Johansson who don't get me wrong is fantastic as Black Widow, however in this she isn't given much to do and is missing from a big chunk of the film. On the whole it suffers from being overstuffed and under cooked.

As a whole this is still a watchable entry, even if it does suffer that dreaded sequel curse and was definitely rushed with needed more time spent on the story being more focused, instead of eyeing up the forthcoming Avengers movie. While personally I wouldn't rank this as the worst of the MCU, I would rank it in my bottom 3.

+Quote this post
Tombo
post May 21 2018, 01:01 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,543
I preferred the original Rhodey cos he was a lot hotter! I really enjoyed this film though, although I was really confused by the recast when I first watched it.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post May 21 2018, 01:23 AM
Post #4
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
Surprised that it's not 'The Incredible Hulk' that's last! ohmy.gif (happy though, I like it!) but 'Iron Man 2' is definitely down there in my personal rankings. Ivan Vanko was such a mess! He had so much potential and Rourke was so pissed off! sad.gif

+Quote this post
Dexton
post May 21 2018, 04:45 AM
Post #5
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045
Iron Man 2 is below Iron Man 3? ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Nina West
post May 21 2018, 04:31 PM
Post #6
Group icon

17. The Incredible Hulk | Avg.6.133

Highest Scores: 9: (PeteFromLeeds, TomboOnBroadway), Lowest Scores: 3: (Nightcrawler)

Rotten Tomatoes Score: 67%, Worldwide Box Office: $263,427,551

At #17 is 'The Incredible Hulk', where if this rate was based on scores then this would have finished last, but managed a higher place due to it benefiting from 1 less rate, and so therefore manages a slightly higher average than 'IM2'. This was the 2nd entry in the MCU coming out the same year as 'IM' in June 2008 and received favourable reviews and became a moderate success with $263.4 Million gross worldwide on a $150 Million dollar budget. Originally began as a loose sequel to the 2003 film 'Hulk' that would be much more faithful to the comics and the 1978 TV series of the same name. When actor Edward Norton was brought on to play the title character he rewrote the screenplay in order to distance itself from the 2003 version and establish itself as a soft reboot.

Often seen as the red-headed step child of the MCU and it's not hard to see why. However I think that we can all agree that this is better than that awful artsy crap that Ang Lee churned out 5 years before and this does have a lot of the ingredients of what you want in a Hulk movie, like for instance some fun action scenes and that famous Hulk smash, even if they don't quite come together the way that you might hope. Edward Norton who plays Banner would only appear in this movie, future instalments would feature Mark Ruffalo, and while he was fine and likeable enough in the role, but given that he was re-cast, I think that makes everything quite confusing especially in later instalments, which sadly makes this one of the more skippable entries in the MCU. 'The Incredible Hulk' is still a pretty solid and fun movie that thankfully skips over the well known orgins of the story and just jumps right into the fun stuff.

While the CGI is definitely a vast improvement compared to the other version, this still looks incredibly dated, obviously due to it's time, but the way that this movie is shot is incredibly ugly looking with dark and dingy colour palettes throughout, which is even more glaring in the final fight scene with Abomination (he looks pretty bad by today's standards), looks more like a computer game fight, and while Tim Roth has the makings of a good villain, but wasn't quite compelling enough and Liv Tyler was very uninspiring as the love interest Betty Ross. William Hurt would be the only actor to return for future instalments and to probably let people know that this movie is part of the MCU.

So in all you can admire the effort, but this was Marvel's early days and they hadn't quite worked out the winning formula fully yet, plus the Hulk is quite a difficult character on his own to connect with on the big screen and may be at best when he's a supporting character in the MCU. So yes I would definitely rank this as the weakest MCU movie, it doesn't hit the highs that later entries would reach. Like I said this was still early days yet and not everything was fully worked out yet.

This post has been edited by SamJudd: May 21 2018, 10:18 PM

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post May 21 2018, 05:06 PM
Post #7
Group icon
I enjoy 'The Incredible Hulk' a lot. It's nowhere near the heights of the highs of the MCU but it's a nice entry.

+Quote this post
Tombo
post May 21 2018, 06:13 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,543
Omg, The Incredible Hulk is incredible! I guess maybe the actor change makes it feel disconnected for some people

+Quote this post
Nina West
post May 21 2018, 11:39 PM
Post #9
Group icon
The next one to drop out will be a phase 2 movie, any guesses....

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post May 22 2018, 03:57 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Thor: Dark World would be my guess!

+Quote this post
Nina West
post May 23 2018, 05:01 AM
Post #11
Group icon

16. Thor: The Dark World | Avg.6.735

Highest Scores: 9: (Chez Wombat, Qween), Lowest Scores: 4.5/4: (Nightcrawler, Dexton, Blacksquare, Klaus)

Rotten Tomatoes Score: 66%, Worldwide Box Office: $644,571,402

Jonjo guessed right at #16 is 'Thor: The Dark World', which not only makes this the first Thor movie to drop, but the first of the phase 2 era of Marvel films to drop out also. Released in November 2013 as not only the 8th film in the MCU, but a sequel to the first 'Thor' movie back in 2011. It received mixed critical reviews and to date has the lowest score out of all 19 movies on Rotten Tomatoes with 66% (which still isn't terrible), but was a commercial success grossing over $644.5 Million worldwide and making it the 10th highest grossing movie of that year.

Considered by many as the weakest entry in the MCU and it's not hard to see why. While it does attempt to embrace the fantasy elements of it's hero, it unfortunately misses the mark with a very weak plot that drags in several areas and some awful villain elves (who'll probably never be heard from again), which only furthers the Marvel villain problem. All of which just makes this one of the more filler entries in this series. While the first movie set everything up pretty well, this just seems like such a step back and another factor that makes things worse is the bogged down romantic plot between Jane and Thor which lacks any sort of spark or chemistry, and it doesn't help that Natalie Portman just looks bored throughout the whole thing and clearly doesn't care. I know that was down to the controversy of original director Patti Jenkins leaving and being replaced by Alan Taylor. While his work on Game Of Thrones is inspiring, sadly it doesn't quite translate to the big screen and the whole thing looks murky and too dark (kinda like a D.C. movie), and therefore lacking that all important visual flair and personality.

The movie's not all bad though there are some good points, like the visual effects are impressive as ever and Chris Hemsworth is as charming as ever as the title character, but again Loki steals the show, Tom Hiddleston basically saves this movie from total disaster. So on the whole I would say that this entry is still watchable and does at least attempt to delve deeper into things, even if it does come across as forgettable, but hey at least the realm hopping climax was still pretty fun.

This post has been edited by SamJudd: May 23 2018, 05:02 AM

+Quote this post
post May 23 2018, 08:02 AM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
Guessing Thor or Cap 1 will be out next?

+Quote this post
PaulM1983
post May 23 2018, 12:04 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 6,471
I hope Thor manages to stay in. I've got a soft spot for the first one, I really enjoy it.

Not surprised Dark World is out already though, it's hugely underwhelming.

I'd go for Cap 1 next. I've always struggled to make it through a viewing. It's so boring.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post May 23 2018, 11:39 PM
Post #14
Group icon

15. Iron Man 3 | Avg.7.156

Highest Scores: 10: (TomboOnBroadway), Lowest Scores: 3: (blacksquare)

Rotten Tomatoes Score: 80%, World Wide Box Office: $1,214,811,252

At #15 we say goodbye to another Tony Stark outing 'Iron Man 3', making this the 2nd in that trilogy to drop out, leaving only the first one left in the running. Released in May 2013 as the 7th movie in the MCU with a change in director in Shane Black after Jon Faveau opted not to return after part 2 and Black also wrote the script deciding to make the movie more character centric and more thriller elements, as well as using concepts from the "Extremis" story arc by Warren Ellis, as well as introducing Tony Starks main nemesis from the comics 'The Mandarin' played by Ben Kingsley. Upon release the movie received positive critical reviews, while fan reaction was more mixed, but nonetheless it became a massive commercial success by grossing over $1.2 Billion worldwide, not only becoming the 2nd highest grossing movie of that year, but the first solo movie to gross a over a Billion at the box office. The film also received a nomination at the Oscars for Best Visual Effects as well as a BAFTA nomination in the same category.

This is definitely one of the more polarizing movies in the MCU cannon and coming right after the mega game changing success of 'The Avengers' from the previous year, could be seen as a risk, which in my opinion was a good thing that shows that they weren't afraid to up the ante and take some risks, making this different from the usual typical Marvel fare. How much you like this movie will largely depend on whether you like Shane Black's blend of explosive action and quippy dialogue and as such 'Iron Man 3' perfectly rounds off the character's initial trilogy, a well written, insightful piece of character driven plot, and makes this aspect work is Robert Downey Jr's excellent performance that forever shows that he was absolutely the right choice for this role and no-one can take his place.

That Mandarin twist upset a lot of fans I know, but personally I was okay with it, Ben Kingsley was hilarious in the role and to be honest I never really had that strong connection to the character anyway. But I can see why so many hated it, it can be seen as Marvel throwing away one of Iron Man's most recognizable (if problematic) villains, and yet again the main villain in this film turned out yet another guy in a suit (really wished that they'd change it up for this last instalment, but oh well) Sure there was some wonky plotting here and there, and for a superhero I bet it can feel a little slow paced, but other than all that I thought that it was a good time. All in all this is definitely better than the 2nd Iron Man movie, but not as good or strong as the first and given how great some of the later MCU entries got after this, I think this kinda got left in the dust.

+Quote this post
Dexton
post May 24 2018, 05:10 AM
Post #15
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
Thor 1 & 2 are the two dullest MCU movies I think, Ragnarok made Thor a lot more likeable so hopefully that will be a lot higher.

Iron Man 3 is great but I much preferred the first two. Quite opposite to how I feel about the Thor movies obviously laugh.gif

Hulk was fine. Nothing too special and the fact Edward Norton was Hulk and not Mark Ruffalo makes it a bit unnecessary to the universe, especially considering no one from that movie (I don't think) has made a second appearance since then. It feels like just as much of a standalone film as the first Hulk did and tbh I can't remember which was which aside from Norton replacing Eric Bana.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post May 24 2018, 11:45 PM
Post #16
Group icon

14. Captain America: The First Avenger | Avg.7.281

Highest Scores: 9: (PeteFromLeeds, Jonjo, Regina, T Boy), Lowest Scores: 4: (Qween)

Rotten Tomatoes Score: 79%, Worldwide Box Office: $370,569,774

At #14 is the first Captain America movie to drop, sub-titled 'The First Avenger', released in July 2011 as the 5th movie in the MCU and directed by Joe Johnson and stars Chris Evans as the title character. The movie was stuck in development hell since 1997 and was scheduled for distribution by another company, However a lawsuit which wasn't settled until 2003 disrupted the project. In 2005 Marvel Studios managed to secure the rights back after receiving a loan from Merrill Lynch with plans to finance and release it through Paramount Pictures. This wasn't the first time Captain America had been adapted to live action with 2 television movies in 1979-1981, as well as a 1990 movie simply titled 'Captain America' that was planned for a cinema release, but instead ended up being released straight to video and was universally panned by pretty much everybody. This version however received decent reviews with a 79% on RT and became a success with $370.6 box office gross.

Firstly I really like the World War II setting, it strikes a similarity with one of the director's previous movies 'The Rocketeer' (a very underrated movie), and it's quite refreshing to have a period superhero movie piece with some great action set pieces and a terrific cast. Chris Evans really nails the role of Steve Rogers/Captain America, planting the seeds of how even better and important the character would be later on. Hayley Atwell is just so damn amazing as Peggy Carter one of the better love interests in the MCU adding a lot more to her character, no wonder she got her own spin off TV show as well as Tommy Lee Jones whose brilliant as always with his tough as nails character and Dominic Cooper as Howard Stark is also a treat and a great addition to the already impressive cast list. The visual effects on Steve Roger's body is definitely worth a mention and still holds up very well today. You even get a sense of more of a broad story going on, rather than flashy special effects and while some may feel that it takes too long to get to the action, others like myself find it rather interesting and more invested.

While I already said that the cast was impressive, however Hugo Weaving as Red Skull was rather disappointing, I don't think that's entirely his fault, I think the movie wastes a major opportunity to fully use his potential and removes any opportunity to tell a nuanced story. All of which makes him one of more forgettable bad guys in the MCU, and also the movie doesn't really have a strong ending, it just seems that everything comes to a grinding halt once the end time is up and the way the movie just skips through a lot of the action with montage after montage is kinda annoying as there's some real stories in these adventures of Cap, Bucky and his teammates, but the movie took too long to get to these points and unfortunately sacrifices had to be made.

So in all 'Captain America' is a very good time, sure it's trampled by it's sequels, but hey everybody's gotta start somewhere and it does kick off the cinematic journey of one of the greatest superheroes of our time, even if this isn't quite as memorable as the far better later MCU classics that are still yet to come.

This post has been edited by SamJudd: May 25 2018, 12:30 AM

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post May 24 2018, 11:53 PM
Post #17
Group icon
I enjoy 'Thor: Dark World' more than most, but I def see it's flaws. I enjoy it more than 'Thor' tbh.
'Iron Man 3' is surprisingly dark. That's one I forget how much I like, until I actually watch it.
'Captain America: The First Avenger' is one of my fave origin movies. I think the story in particular stands out and the whole cast is brilliant! One that's often underrated, I feel.

Hmm... Can 'Doctor Strange' hurry up and leave please x

+Quote this post
Dexton
post May 25 2018, 05:24 AM
Post #18
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
The First Avenger is really good but so are all the Captain America movies, but I think part of the love for Civil War is that it's more of an Avengers movie than a Captain America movie - and then for some reason everyone is in love with Bucky so Winter Soldier will probs be Top 5 for no reason

Doctor Strange is one of my favourites tbh

+Quote this post
Nina West
post May 25 2018, 07:57 PM
Post #19
Group icon

13. Thor | Avg.7.47

Highest Scores: 9: (PeteFromLeeds, Josh, TomboOnBroadway, Klaus), Lowest Scores: 4: (Severin)

Rotten Tomatoes Score: 77%, Worldwide Box Office: $449,326,618

At #13 we not only do we say goodbye to another 'Thor' movie, but yet again another phase 1 movie, leaving only 2 left in the running. 'Thor' released in 2011 as the 4th movie in the MCU. This was another Marvel movie that had been stuck in development hell for several years where firstly Sam Raimi was attached to the project in 1991, but soon abandoned it, then Matthew Vaughn was signed to direct it for a 2010 release, but however he was released from his holding deal back in 2008. So finally Kenneth Branagh signed onto the project and the rest was history, with the movie becoming yet another financial and critical success, as well as paving the way for the then upcoming 'Avengers' movie that was to come the following year. as

A fish out of water comedy that's masquerading as a superhero film, with Marvel taking a huge risk on a project that was always deemed too expensive and the fact that the title character wasn't seen as big enough to carry their own movie. So scaling down the production and pushing the mythological elements to the side in order to make this work and surprisingly it works with a great cast of characters that takes everything serious enough to make this universe believable. Chris Hemsworth is impossibly charming as the God of Thunder Thor and this movie sets him up well for his future appearances in later MCU instalments, as well as establishing his family relationships which will become more important later on and rightfully making him a star overnight with his excellent comic timing. Tom Hiddleston of course is another highlight of this film as the ever loveable Loki and makes not only the title character, but the whole thing much more interesting. And of course it's always a pleasure to see Anthony Hopkins as the all mighty King Odin with his commanding presence and giving the movie that extra bit of credibility. The cinematic scope of Asgard is simply just beautiful to look at with it's stunning set designs and grand scope in which the director Kenneth Branagh really has a knack for giving the whole thing that Shakespearian vibe, he knows how to draw you into it's world, all of which gives this movie a lot of heart.

While this movie does suffer a lot of the same difficulties as the 2nd Thor movie, but this is far stronger and funnier. However I do think that as the years went on this movie does seem very small by Marvel standards and Thor spending a lot of the runtime depowered, while that's not entirely a bad thing, but some may be disappointed by it's very modest scope, like the earth setting which is where most of the flaws come to light as there didn't seem to be very much action going on and therefore not being the big grand adventure that fans would expect from a Thor movie, but this does do a lot of world building and on the whole it is an entertaining entry in the MCU.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post May 25 2018, 08:03 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Seems as though this rate was done before 'Avengers: Infinity War', I will be doing my own write up on that movie later on. Also guys tell me what you think of my write ups.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:25 AM