BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
57 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > »   
This thread is locked.Create a new thread
> EU Referendum Discussion, Thursday 23rd June
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Brett-Butler
post 29th November 2016, 06:12 PM
Post #241
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

I'm just disappointed that the leaked memo didn't mention the "quiet bat people".
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 29th November 2016, 06:57 PM
Post #242
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Nov 29 2016, 06:12 PM) *
I'm just disappointed that the leaked memo didn't mention the "quiet bat people".

It does reek of a total setup as per The Thick Of It !

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 7th December 2016, 01:42 PM
Post #243
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

The government has a plan. Here it is in the words of the Prime Minister herself.

"People talk about the sort of Brexit that there is going to be – is it hard or soft, is it grey or white. Actually we want a red, white and blue Brexit: that is the right Brexit for the UK, the right deal for the UK.

Of course, there are a few flaws with this plan, not least the fact that it is utterly meaningless drivel. You have to assume that this was not just an off-the-cuff remark. Somebody, somewhere thought it was a good idea. Others, including Theresa May, agreed. This is not just post-truth politics, it's post-English politics.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 7th December 2016, 01:52 PM
Post #244
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

I don't think I've cringed at a politician any more this year than at the "Red, White & Blue" Brexit line. And it's confusing anyway, when I think of the "red, white & blue", I think of either France or the United States first, not the UK. And I'm not too sure that they are two countries that we especially want to emulate.

There's a vote in the commons tonight regarding something Brexit-y. I've been led to believe that there's an amendment that has been tabled that would make the current Supreme Court case regarding parliament's need to trigger Article 50 unnecessary. I've heard conflicting views, so does anyone know if there's any truth to that?

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 7th December 2016, 06:16 PM
Post #245
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

the right-wing side of the party is going apoplectic, IDS is inciting the End of the British legal and political system going back centuries because he doesn't agree with judges having a say on a fine point of legality. The man is a massive fool, as even his close Tory colleagues realise, he's thick as a plank. In a vote for Most-stupid MP, it'd be a toss-up between him and Liz Truss.

meanwhile a Tory millionaire with his finger in non-environmentally-friendly industries and health-harming ones sees an opportunity to increase his wealth:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/polit...g-a7459336.html

In a contest to fins out the biggest MP manipulator of policies to promote their own wealth and interests, Mogg would be in the running along with the likes of Amber Rudd.

The Labour motion is an attempt to catch May off-guard out of the country while she's arse-licking anti-democratic middle-eastern regimes trying to drum up some business when she should be concentrating on sorting the mess over the EU first. Clearly she still expects a very very hard Brexit. If she gives any indication of a plan I'll be shocked, as her leading men are all contradicting one another constantly. She may give Labour a minor bit of appearing to be doing something by saying she'll give a bit of info on a plan:

"I have a plan: Brexit still means Brexit and I will get some cake and eat it and it will be delicious."

Ultimately though, whatever she says or does, Labour will shoo-in any Bill to trigger Article 50 because they fear for their political life if they don't. Or if they do.

+Quote this post
T83:Y96
post 7th December 2016, 06:55 PM
Post #246
Group icon
My mother said, to get things done, you better not mess with Maj
User: 21,319

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Dec 7 2016, 02:52 PM) *
I don't think I've cringed at a politician any more this year than at the "Red, White & Blue" Brexit line. And it's confusing anyway, when I think of the "red, white & blue", I think of either France or the United States first, not the UK. And I'm not too sure that they are two countries that we especially want to emulate.

When you think of France, you don't think "red, white & blue", you think "blue, white & red" (bleu, blanc, rouge) because the colors appear in that order on the flag.

This post has been edited by Taylor Jago: 7th December 2016, 06:55 PM

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 26th December 2016, 02:57 PM
Post #247
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

I see old merv, former governor if the Bank of Englnd has been suggesting a hard Brexit is the wy to go. Just popped on with a personal messge to him:

Piss off you useless old fool and keep your pathetic opinions to yourself. You had one job: dong let the UK economy go tits up, dont let housing overheat and make sure that megabanks which could ruin the country didnt lie, deceive and borrow in dangerous ways. You were utterly useless, so no one cares what you think, any advice from you is worthless, so crawl back under your peerage rock and shut your mouth.

Love and kisses.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 15th January 2017, 11:21 AM
Post #248
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38626293

chit chat that May is about to call on the UK to unite around her doing what she thinks best on Brexit and stop arguing about it.

That's not how democracy works you fool. On behalf of the majority of the country who DIDN'T vote for Brexit (and a good proportion of those who did and didn't think it was a vote for a hard Brexit), can I just say f*** Off you arrogant woman and get used to people having a say in OUR future. We are not going to go quietly sinking into our premature death coffins, we see what you are already doing to the NHS and local government (and many of us struggle with the consequences of it every hour of our difficult lives) and your Tory vision for the UK is a bloody right-wing nightmare vision. You weren't elected, and neither were your policies voted for.

Love and Kisses.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 15th January 2017, 02:38 PM
Post #249
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

So we should support what she's doing even though she won't tell us what it is.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 17th January 2017, 01:13 PM
Post #250
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

...and she's confirmed at long last she likes it hard. Really hard! "Clean" seems to be the new media-friendly word. A Clean brexit. It will be anything but clean. It will be dirty and hard, very dirty. Obviously how Mrs M prefers it as TINA, as Mrs T used to put it, to getting down and dirty and hard.

This innuendo could just run and run.

So, we are likely to end becoming an tax exile, which makes sense, we can just merge with our island territories and stop pretending that rich people will have to pay any tax at all. Just poor people paying for their own declining way of life.

Well, don't blame me, I wasn't stupid enough to vote for it....

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 17th January 2017, 02:28 PM
Post #251
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030

Thersea's speech was quite good and did what it was meant to do. Obviously implementing her 12 point plan isn't going to be at all easy, but finally having some clarity on it should help bring about some stability. Financial markets are responding quite strongly with the pound making its largest daily gains in many years. Of course it's still a long way from where it was - but it'll hopefully be more stable and less prone to big drops now. It's managed to do better than forecast over the last couple months and if it keeps doing so that may help prevent inflation from rising too high.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 17th January 2017, 02:43 PM
Post #252
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

I think now is a suitable time to remind people that the Tory manifesto included a pledge to remain part of the single market regardless of the result of the referendum. Claiming that people voted to leave the single market is a massive lie. After all, the words "single" and "market" were nowhere to be seen on the ballot paper and many Leave campaigners insisted that we could remain part of the single market. Unfortunately the Labour party have, so far, done precisely nothing to highlight this.

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 17th January 2017, 03:01 PM
Post #253
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Jan 17 2017, 02:43 PM) *
I think now is a suitable time to remind people that the Tory manifesto included a pledge to remain part of the single market regardless of the result of the referendum. Claiming that people voted to leave the single market is a massive lie. After all, the words "single" and "market" were nowhere to be seen on the ballot paper and many Leave campaigners insisted that we could remain part of the single market. Unfortunately the Labour party have, so far, done precisely nothing to highlight this.

But didn't both David Cameron and George osbourne outline that a vote to leave would be a vote to leave the EU and the single market during the campaign? And a lot of those voting to leave were likely doing so because of immigration, in which being a member of the single market wouldn't allow control of, as EU leaders were very clear about accepting free movement to remain part of it. But I agree that there should have been more clarity over that - as different leave campaign groups were saying different things. But the government (well David/George) were quite clear about a vote to leave was a vote to leave the single market as well. Not to mention there didn't seem to be any real plan incase of a leave win, especially with David Cameron stepping down, so the manifesto is somewhat obsolete in regards to what it aimed to do (as it assumed we'd remain in the EU). Just a shame we couldn't have a general snap election with new manifestos taking into account the brexit vote. But that might've made things worse.

+Quote this post
Oliver
post 17th January 2017, 03:05 PM
Post #254
Group icon
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
User: 15,367

I nearly screamed at the TV when she said that it wasn't in the national interest to have a running commentary about what her government is doing for Brexit.

Erm, I'm sure there are 16 million people who would love to know exactly what is happening each step of the way. rolleyes.gif

+Quote this post
T83:Y96
post 17th January 2017, 05:48 PM
Post #255
Group icon
My mother said, to get things done, you better not mess with Maj
User: 21,319

I can't believe I once thought that woman was going to be reasonable. Unfortunately it seems inevitable that the rights of EU citizens to work and live in the UK (and vice versa) will be destroyed, and this country is about to crumble apart. Well done Mayhem!

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 17th January 2017, 06:56 PM
Post #256
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Envoirment @ Jan 17 2017, 03:01 PM) *
But didn't both David Cameron and George osbourne outline that a vote to leave would be a vote to leave the EU and the single market during the campaign? And a lot of those voting to leave were likely doing so because of immigration, in which being a member of the single market wouldn't allow control of, as EU leaders were very clear about accepting free movement to remain part of it. But I agree that there should have been more clarity over that - as different leave campaign groups were saying different things. But the government (well David/George) were quite clear about a vote to leave was a vote to leave the single market as well. Not to mention there didn't seem to be any real plan incase of a leave win, especially with David Cameron stepping down, so the manifesto is somewhat obsolete in regards to what it aimed to do (as it assumed we'd remain in the EU). Just a shame we couldn't have a general snap election with new manifestos taking into account the brexit vote. But that might've made things worse.

errr no dont think so - and in any case everything The Reami campaign said was casullay tossed as "Project fear". The Leave campaign lied through their teeth throughout about it, and about everything else, and that's what swayed people to vote Leave:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/open...4b09025ba310fce

+Quote this post
PeaceMob
post 17th January 2017, 07:16 PM
Post #257
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 21,342

QUOTE(Envoirment @ Jan 17 2017, 03:01 PM) *

You're right.

+Quote this post
PeaceMob
post 17th January 2017, 07:20 PM
Post #258
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 21,342

I thought Theresa May's speech was absolutely brilliant. She said pretty much everything I hoped she say. Now the ball is in the EU's court, do they want to do a good deal with the UK or not, because if they are going to be petty and spiteful then the UK will not be afraid to just walk away, like Theresa May said "no deal is better than a bad deal".

+Quote this post
Soy Adrián
post 17th January 2017, 07:45 PM
Post #259
Group icon
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
User: 10,596

The 27 will act in their own interest, which will leave us with a shit deal. We don't have enough to offer to them to get a deal whereby manufacturing and the financial sector can operate without tariffs, meaning we'll have to give businesses a glorified bung in order to keep them here.

Many universities have recently announced that they'll be raising their tuition fees to £10k a year by 2020. I dread to think what that'll be once EU funding disappears and the international students stop coming.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 17th January 2017, 08:06 PM
Post #260
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

absolutely right. To summarise: megabanks (who ruined us) will be given shitloads not to move to Europe, but we depend on 10's of billions annual tax from them to not have an even more massive black hole in our annual deficit, and many will go anyway. Big EU subsidized industries like farming will suddenly find they cant survive which will mean food prices rocket, along with the UK trying to find other food producers to undercut our own expensive produce - that means our current high-standards for food will drop and shitty GM/pesticide-sprayed/third-world-labour will start to dominate the shops.

Places like India wont send foreign students without free student movement (we have nothing but brains to offer to sell - apart from weapons of destruction, the ongoing British "gift" to the rest of the world, apart from banking). We still need doctors, nurses, scientists, even with them hacked at (which will happen even more than it is already) so the nonsense that "controlling" our borders means no more foreigners is pure bullshit, just as much as it has been bullshit for the 5 years Teresa may was in charge of immigration and failed spectacularly to reduce non-EU immigrants numbers.

Basically, the rich and powerful have masterminded a campaign that idiots fell for, and they now have utter power to rewrite British society in their own image.

Still, gotta laugh at people's stupidity, the one commodity that will never go out of fashion....

+Quote this post

57 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » 
This thread is locked.Create a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 03:02 AM