BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> ThePensmith's Top 20 Singles Chart, Week ending 7th June 2019
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
ThePensmith
post 7th June 2019, 02:15 PM
Post #1
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208
Good afternoon everyone, I'm here as always to kick start your weekend with my countdown of my top 20 singles this week. Five weeks on now, and my number one single has been Mark Ronson and Lykke Li with 'Late Night Feelings', but has major new competition from Cheryl and Craig David proved too strong a challenge? Here's where you find out...

THEPENSMITH'S TOP 20 SINGLES CHART
Week ending 7th June 2019
© AM LIMITED 2019

1. (1) MARK RONSON FEAT. LYKKE LI - Late Night Feelings
2. (HNE) CRAIG DAVID - When You Know What Love Is
3. (NE) CHERYL - Let You
4. (3) AVICII FEAT. ALOE BLACC - SOS
5. (5) KYGO FEAT. RITA ORA - Carry On
6. (4) FOUR OF DIAMONDS - Walk Away
7. (2) SHAKESPEARS SISTER - All the Queen's Horses
8. (6) SHAWN MENDES - If I Can't Have You
9. (7) THE VERONICAS - Think Of Me
10. (11) P!NK FEAT. KHALID - Hurts 2B Human

11. (8) PAIGE CAVELL - Predators and Monsters
12. (9) OLLY MURS - Feel The Same
13. (10) JONAS BROTHERS – Sucker
14. (NE) DUNCAN LAURENCE - Arcade
15. (13) KYLIE MINOGUE - New York City
16. (14) JONAS BLUE FEAT. THERESA REX - What I Like About You
17. (15) UNPERFECT - Looking for a Hug
18. (NE) BANANARAMA - Looking for Someone
19. (16) ELLIE GOULDING - Sixteen
20. (17) BASTILLE - Joy

Compiled from my own personal listening in the last seven days across streaming, digital and physical formats.

KEY

(1) - last week's position
(HNE) - highest new entry
(NE) - new entry
(RE) - re-entry

CHART COMMENTARY

Now breaking into its sixth week on top, the number one single on my personal chart is once again from Mark Ronson and Lykke Li. That they have held on is to be applauded, firstly as 'Late Night Feelings' is the first record so far this year to manage that long at the top, but also because they did so in the face of much tighter competition to retain their crown.

For whilst Shakespears Sister were a distant second to them last week (and tumble five places to #7 this week), it looked during the week as if we were going to be offering our congratulations to Craig David on a seventh number one single. That he hasn't added to his ranks for now is no shame however, particularly with this commanding debut as the highest new entry this week.

'When You Know What Love Is' is his first new material for a year, off a forthcoming new album, and gives him a #2 single for only the second time in his career, as well as his 23rd top 10 hit, putting him third in my all-time rankings behind Olly Murs and Robbie Williams.

Now this is where it gets interesting. When we last left Cheryl, it was back in November last year. Her then new single, 'Love Made Me Do It', belly flopped spectacularly when it peaked and debuted at #20 on my chart before falling away fast. With a subsequent press backlash to her promotional appearances for the single ringing in her ears, it was obvious she needed to disappear for a drastic rethink.

Six months later, and now has been adjudged the time to try again. Thankfully, it's a much happier outcome this time. It also helps that 'Let You' is the best single she's released for some time and is instantly more accessible and appealing than her last single which couldn't quite decide if it wanted to be taken seriously or not. With this single returning her to the top 3 for the first time since 'I Don't Care' topped our chart in November 2014, the former Girls Aloud beauty can be safe in the knowledge that what came before was but a mere blip.

After debuting at #6 a few weeks ago, P!nk’s ‘Hurts 2B Human’ with Khalid stages a small but nonetheless significant recovery into the top 10, climbing a place to this week’s #10. She does so as both ‘Sucker’ from Jonas Brothers and ‘Feel the Same’ from Olly Murs finally check out of the top 10 after eleven and nine weeks respectively, descending to this week’s #13 and #12.

Next to play, it was another disappointing showing for the UK at the Eurovision Song Contest in Tel Aviv a few weekends ago, with our entry from Michael Rice (down five places to #40 this week) finishing a miserable last. It was success for the Netherlands entry from Duncan Laurence though, whose winning song 'Arcade' makes a respectable top 20 entry at this week's #14.

Finally this week, as Shakespears Sister spend a second week in my top 10 with their comeback single, Siobhan Fahey's old band mates Keren and Sara – Bananarama - notch up their third top 20 hit from their current album 'In Stereo' following 'Dance Music' and 'Stuff Like That', with 'Looking for Someone' entering at this week's #18.

FLASHBACK TOP 10

Your chance to see how my personal top 10 was looking on this week in the last 20 years. This week in 2011: The Saturdays hang on at the top for a second week with ‘Notorious’, plus classic hits from Rihanna, Olly Murs and Bruno Mars

1. (1) THE SATURDAYS - Notorious

2. (HNE) RIHANNA – California King Bed
3. (NE) OLLY MURS - Busy
4. (2) BRUNO MARS – The Lazy Song
5. (NE) ALEX GAUDINO FEAT. KELLY ROWLAND – What A Feeling
6. (NE) JENNIFER LOPEZ FEAT. LIL’ WAYNE – I’m Into You
7. (3) ALEXANDRA STAN – Mr Saxobeat
8. (4) BENNY BENASSI FEAT. CHRIS BROWN – Beautiful People
9. (5) DEV FEAT. THE CATARACS – Bass Down Low
10. (6) SWEDISH HOUSE MAFIA – Save The World

This post has been edited by ThePensmith: 14th June 2019, 05:40 PM
Go to the top of this page