BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News
7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Geri Halliwell - 'Passion', 2005 • 3rd Album
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
-Jay-
post 1st April 2023, 01:53 AM
Post #41
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

^ I also remember seeing that sit down interview and how she came across like she was just done with it all, it was sad to see.

I agree that she left it too long between album eras. Ride It came 3 years after Calling, and Passion came over 4 years after Scream If You Wanna Go Faster (the album). That was a long time for her to put her solo music career on hold.

Having said that I think she did very well to get to #4 with Ride It after all that time away, quite a solid return and surely something that could have been built on. But then the next single didn't come until 6 months later... I think that was the nail in the coffin. Once they (management/label/Geri) had committed to her return with Ride It, it should have been full steam ahead after that, no indecision and changing the direction of the album. I might be misremembering but didn't she change her management between Ride It and Desire? The next single should have been no later than 3 months after Ride It. Also whoever advised her to do a documentary at that point in time really did not have her best interest's at heart. If it was Geri herself who pushed for that documentary, that was sadly a mistake.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
tommie
post 1st April 2023, 06:01 AM
Post #42
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

There's Something About Gerita is one of my favourite mid-00s pop artifacts along with Totally Scott-Lee.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 1st April 2023, 09:40 AM
Post #43
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

QUOTE(-Jay- @ Apr 1 2023, 01:53 AM) *
^ I also remember seeing that sit down interview and how she came across like she was just done with it all, it was sad to see.

I agree that she left it too long between album eras. Ride It came 3 years after Calling, and Passion came over 4 years after Scream If You Wanna Go Faster (the album). That was a long time for her to put her solo music career on hold.

Having said that I think she did very well to get to #4 with Ride It after all that time away, quite a solid return and surely something that could have been built on. But then the next single didn't come until 6 months later... I think that was the nail in the coffin. Once they (management/label/Geri) had committed to her return with Ride It, it should have been full steam ahead after that, no indecision and changing the direction of the album. I might be misremembering but didn't she change her management between Ride It and Desire? The next single should have been no later than 3 months after Ride It. Also whoever advised her to do a documentary at that point in time really did not have her best interest's at heart. If it was Geri herself who pushed for that documentary, that was sadly a mistake.

The fact that Ride It 'only' got to #4 (and was out of the charts and sold less than any of her previous albums' singles), together with the absolute lack of interest in her tour which lead to it being cancelled, probably hurt Geri personally and professionally more than anything at the time.

It was why everything got delayed, wasn't it? So that she could record new songs for the album to move it away from its dance focus which led to Desire and Passion being the mess they were.. It was pretty obvious she wasn't happy either with herself and the documentary at the time showed that as well.. The documentary was baffling because it showed Geri pretending to be happy throughout when she is clearly not.

The commens about the 'sausage machine' have always been funny to me, because it was like she was rebelling 'against the machine' whereas clearly she was just pissed off that the machine wasn't keen on her anymore... Had Ride It gone to #1 and the tour didn't flop, she would have felt on top of the world and carry on. The album is very 'machine ready' and some of those songs are clearly the 'frankfurters' of her discography. In fact, she had been the ultimate 'sausage machine' pop star for such a long time, doing high profile appereances and interviews, scandal after scandal, without any touring or that many gigs during her solo peak (not talking about one offs like that awful army show or some tv appereances, I mean her doing shows herself with her own crowd).

+Quote this post
colinn
post 2nd April 2023, 02:09 AM
Post #44
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 18,033

I still can't believe she done nothing with the Popstars: The Rivals gig. She made great connections with ITV (even featuring in the indents at the time) and didn't think to launch a new campaign off that?

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 2nd April 2023, 05:54 AM
Post #45
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217

Do we know if she’d already started recording just before or during Popstars The Rivals? It does seem strange that she didn’t utilise that prime time TV slot to benefit her music career. I suppose the Just for the Record book was timed to take advantage of it, but it would surely have been a good idea to have had a single (and ideally an album) to go alongside all of that attention. Yet it took her until 2 years after. Kind of funny that Girls Aloud, who Geri had had a hand in creating on the show, were #1 in the singles chart in the week that Ride It got to #4 (and that was their 7th single, which kind of further highlights just how long Geri spent away from the charts, given that Ride It was only her 8th single!).

Mr.X mentioning the tour - that was another hugely damaging aspect to this era, the flopping of that. That has to be one of the worst timed & misjudged moments of her whole career, to try and attempt that at that moment. She had *so* much groundwork to do to come close to making that more viable. I’m not sure what she or her team were thinking!! It’s nice to be ambitious but sadly that was pretty much delusional. I wonder if the tour cancellation & the bad press surrounding that had any part to play in radio stations becoming cold to her and refusing to support Desire? Because maybe they saw her solo career as a sinking ship and didn’t feel enthused to support her.

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 2nd April 2023, 09:43 AM
Post #46
Group icon
---
User: 17,418

I did not know all this re: Passion. I’ll Ned to see if I can find the documentary somewhere.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 2nd April 2023, 11:11 AM
Post #47
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

QUOTE(One_For_Sorrow @ Apr 2 2023, 10:43 AM) *
I did not know all this re: Passion. I’ll Ned to see if I can find the documentary somewhere.

Dear god don't watch the documentary it is a total car crash! She is bordering on insane throughout the majority of it, 'schizophonic' was definitely the right idea for her first album title laugh.gif

+Quote this post
dancinqueen
post 2nd April 2023, 01:11 PM
Post #48
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 95,682

QUOTE(spiceboy @ Apr 2 2023, 12:11 PM) *
Dear god don't watch the documentary it is a total car crash! She is bordering on insane throughout the majority of it, 'schizophonic' was definitely the right idea for her first album title laugh.gif

That documentary - unfortunately - made me hate her attitude and personality. And I’m sure I wasn’t the only one.
It’s a pity considering Geri is an intelligent person. She did signed for a car crash and she has never recovered since then.

My fave documentaries:

1. Victoria Beckham - Coming to America
2. Melanie C - Northern Star

+Quote this post
Equinox8
post 2nd April 2023, 01:27 PM
Post #49
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 132,865

QUOTE(dancinqueen @ Apr 2 2023, 01:11 PM) *
That documentary - unfortunately - made me hate her attitude and personality. And I’m sure I wasn’t the only one.
It’s a pity considering Geri is an intelligent person. She did signed for a car crash and she has never recovered since then.

My fave documentaries:

1. Victoria Beckham - Coming to America
2. Melanie C - Northern Star

whistle.gif

+Quote this post
Maz!
post 2nd April 2023, 01:30 PM
Post #50
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 20,217

I had tickets to see Geri in London , when she had cancelled i decided to cancel the trip (which made me have a fall out with the guy i was going with cause he wanted to see Melanie C instead on that day oop) and then college scheduled an exam on that day so maybe i was lucky it was cancelled. Still a shame it didnt go ahead.

+Quote this post
tommie
post 2nd April 2023, 01:57 PM
Post #51
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Gerita would've put on a great show - unlike Emma who would've mimed behind a Christmas tree (that happened, oh yes)

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 2nd April 2023, 07:34 PM
Post #52
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(tommie @ Apr 2 2023, 01:57 PM) *
Gerita would've put on a great show - unlike Emma who would've mimed behind a Christmas tree (that happened, oh yes)

You really think a Geri Halliwell concert would be live? teresa.gif

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 3rd April 2023, 07:49 AM
Post #53
Group icon
---
User: 17,418

QUOTE(spiceboy @ Apr 2 2023, 11:11 AM) *

Hahaha I’ll probably give it a miss then. Thanks.

+Quote this post
tommie
post 3rd April 2023, 03:16 PM
Post #54
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Apr 2 2023, 07:34 PM) *
You really think a Geri Halliwell concert would be live? teresa.gif

She would've sounded exactly like on record - she's just that flawless x

+Quote this post
Piers
post 8th April 2023, 02:26 PM
Post #55
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 69,521

I would support any of them touring...and in Geri's case, I think she would've had the material to potentially make a really fun setlist. I'll admit that I was nervous at the time about THAT era of Geri touring. After making pretty solid decisions about collaborators in the first few years of her career, she'd hired a friend to direct the Ride It video...and...to me, it showed. The Ride It performances never seemed like they'd been rehearsed much. When she performed her past hits around that time, it was with minimal choreography. It seemed she wanted to just stand around bow-legged and make a few gestures with her arms. Nothing seemed especially focused...and I'm not sure how a tour would have fared, springing from that.

I actually feel the prime times for her to tour would have been right after the Bag It Up release...or launching after the release of It's Raining Men. Both of these eras showed a Geri who was willing to go for broke. That Geri would flood the BRITS stage with men in pink underwear...or parade out so many IRM dancers at Party in the Park that you weren't sure which side was the stage and which side was the crowd. That Geri needed to stage a show.

This post has been edited by Piers: 8th April 2023, 06:32 PM

+Quote this post
Equinox8
post 8th April 2023, 06:52 PM
Post #56
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 132,865

QUOTE(Piers @ Apr 8 2023, 02:26 PM) *
I would support any of them touring...and in Geri's case, I think she would've had the material to potentially make a really fun setlist. I'll admit that I was nervous at the time about THAT era of Geri touring. After making pretty solid decisions about collaborators in the first few years of her career, she'd hired a friend to direct the Ride It video...and...to me, it showed. The Ride It performances never seemed like they'd been rehearsed much. When she performed her past hits around that time, it was with minimal choreography. It seemed she wanted to just stand around bow-legged and make a few gestures with her arms. Nothing seemed especially focused...and I'm not sure how a tour would have fared, springing from that.

I actually feel the prime times for her to tour would have been right after the Bag It Up release...or launching after the release of It's Raining Men. Both of these eras showed a Geri who was willing to go for broke. That Geri would flood the BRITS stage with men in pink underwear...or parade out so many IRM dancers at Party in the Park that you weren't sure which side was the stage and which side was the crowd. That Geri needed to stage a show.

clap.gif Fully agreed!

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 8th April 2023, 07:52 PM
Post #57
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Piers @ Apr 8 2023, 02:26 PM) *

Bang on, but I do think even in the Bag It Up and Its Raining Men eras, it would have still been a stretch for her to do arenas then. Geri just never felt comfortable on tour, and she wasn't exactly known for being a live act at all even then and was known as the worst singer in the Spice Girls.

Maybe if she had started with some theatre shows during the Schizo era, it would have started to build some ground up. Mel C toured for two years during the NS era and that did her wonders.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 8th April 2023, 08:17 PM
Post #58
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Apr 8 2023, 08:52 PM) *
Bang on, but I do think even in the Bag It Up and Its Raining Men eras, it would have still been a stretch for her to do arenas then. Geri just never felt comfortable on tour, and she wasn't exactly known for being a live act at all even then and was known as the worst singer in the Spice Girls.

Maybe if she had started with some theatre shows during the Schizo era, it would have started to build some ground up. Mel C toured for two years during the NS era and that did her wonders.

She had arenas planned?? Wow did not know that! I had tickets to Blackpool which was winter gardens a theatre.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 8th April 2023, 08:28 PM
Post #59
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(spiceboy @ Apr 8 2023, 08:17 PM) *
She had arenas planned?? Wow did not know that! I had tickets to Blackpool which was winter gardens a theatre.

It was to a mix right? I remember that the Birmingham venue was a 20,000 capacity and it had barely sold anything at the time...

+Quote this post
Voodoo
post 8th April 2023, 09:08 PM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 5,829

These were the planned tour dates:

The Live Tour 2005

May 03, 2005: Dublin, Ireland - The Point
May 04, 2005: Belfast, UK - Waterfront Hall