BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Your BJSC Debut, the thing that started it all
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
m
post Aug 7 2018, 03:14 PM
Post #1
Group icon
I asked for my account to be banned
User: 7,132

I wanted to make a topic specifically on this and ask about your first BJSC entry. Firstly of course, what was it and do you think it represents what your country has done afterwards? Were you one of the people who started off performing weakly but then improved?

My first entry was the above Ladytron - Destroy Everything You Touch from their 2005 album Witching Hour. The song is super catchy electropop / synthpop with haunting vocals, a style not too far from what I would sometimes send in future. I had just gotten heavily into Ladytron at the time but sending it was an impulsive decision, I don't think I really thought much about it. It worked with the people tho as it came a surprising 4th place in BJSC 11 (mellow.gif). While capturing certain areas of my taste well, it was not an indication of what was to come in terms of performance, as I ended up mostly flopping for ages after that kink.gif Well, either flopping or doing sort of okay, until my win.

What about you?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Aug 7 2018, 03:27 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

VERY 2011 laugh.gif I had no idea what BJSC really was but I think I joined after seeing people's signatures had it in and I peeked and listened to some of the contest before, liked it and joined. I didn't know what would do well or what would be "right" to send but I found this on Popjustice iirc and it really fit my super poppy taste at the time, it came 8th *.* I was so happy at the time bc I had no idea what to expect and I remember my 12 won too so I was definitely hooked into BJSC.

+Quote this post
Silas
post Aug 7 2018, 03:47 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

Yes, I king of the veto debuted with a number 1 single from a hugely popular girl band! Sugababes - Push The Button was my entry to my first contest and the first contest ever in *shudders* November 2007. The contest was initially a very different beast to what it is now, and the first contest in particular was more about “would this work on Buzzjack” than anything else. The rest is history! 10.5 years later I am still here and have been a mod of BJSC since March 2009 (yes we will be marking the 10 year anniversary occasion with a military parade and other suitably dictator activities). So yeah. We’re at that point where I’m not sure I’d know what to do with myself without BJSC

We came 8th and are yet to match the success of our first decade in any decade since. This decade was looking promising until the racists reappeared

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post Aug 7 2018, 03:51 PM
Post #4
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

Very much testing the waters and among my worst performing qualifiers. I know that’s not much when most of my entries made top 30 but I think it says it all that Midnight X performed better position-wise and it was just as pop lol. For some reason it’s this and stuff like Ghosts/Unstoppable that make me say “oh I should probably send more pop”. I don’t think my potentials for that contest would have done great either, I considered The Reay Set - Freakin’ Me Out that contest and it was entered later and flopped tongue.gif

Cheers to Cameron for my first ever 18!

Update: I have now won with a pop song. We’ve come full circle ladies and gents

+Quote this post
danG
post Aug 7 2018, 04:03 PM
Post #5
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

One of my least favourite entries now, and even at the time I didn't rate it too highly; I wish I'd entered something I really loved as my first entry now but this kinda represents the sound of early Danaelanda when the early 10s version of eurodance was still very much in (we'd go a lot cheesier in near-future entries) and we weren't sure how to perform well (also this was well before the dance bloc formation, when we started it was mostly pop instead of a wide variety of genres that it is today). This one qualified but finished near the bottom of the scoreboard, then I DNQed in the next contest and quietly ragequit before I realised TBO Rejects was a thing and my entry was doing well in it. Then I scored four more DNQs in a row, finally qualified again, then DNQed four times in a row yet again. But by then I was too much into the contest to do another hiatus so I've entered every contest ever since 41.

This entry below really signified the first period of Danaelandan entries starting to generally sound and do better, and also our first entry of 2013, so you could pretend this was our debut instead.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post Aug 7 2018, 04:07 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

I was actually very close to sending NINA - Beyond Memory as my debut (which ended up finishing 16th in BJSC 102) but this was a song I absolutely loved at the time (and still do actually) and I thought others might too. It DNQd of course but at least with a respectable score, and thankfully finished above Snake's 'interesting' debut tongue.gif My SECOND entry, on the other hand...

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Aug 7 2018, 04:58 PM
Post #7
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

In BJSC 42, two fairly well known names now but they weren't exactly super cheap at the time. It finished 28th/29 in the final, though for a year it remained my most successful entry :')

I do still rlly like this and listen to it, I found it on Digital Spy's 'Tracks You Must Hear Right Now' and it's got some really good production and vocals on it. I likely wouldn't send anything like it now because we're still talking when I was very much into the pop charts as my main form of music consumption and it doesn't exactly sound super standout or unique as much as I like it. It took me a long while to find my niche in here but I think I'm settled on it now. And my next entry was Bastille lmao.

+Quote this post
seven.
post Aug 7 2018, 05:11 PM
Post #8
Group icon
i can only do one normal thing a day
User: 14,428

what a throwback <3 found this through the Breaking More Waves blog, i knew it probably wouldn't be that BJSC-friendly but it was catchy and sounded really cool with that industrial-ish sound so i went with it - finished 20th which isn't bad considering

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Aug 7 2018, 05:56 PM
Post #9
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

Artist name: top tier
Song name: bottom tier, absolutely doesn't represent my nation
Song quality: decent Finnish rock song that is overall one of my weakest entries, but none of the others I was considering at the time were much better, I only developed an ear for BJSC songs a few contests later.

+Quote this post
lotita
post Aug 7 2018, 06:04 PM
Post #10
Group icon
feminist icon
Pronouns: she/her
User: 21,777

shouldnt have dnq'd x

+Quote this post
dandy*
post Aug 7 2018, 06:07 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

Not quite the same version as I submitted as I was big on "making things my own version" in those days. Still, it remains one of my favourite entries to date wub.gif

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Aug 7 2018, 06:10 PM
Post #12
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
Barely even a year ago :')

Jupiterdonia debuted with the intention of being mainly an indie nation which...didn't really pan out so well.

I guess we've been a jack of all trades since and with this current edition haven't changed that, dropping our initial intention to send stadium pop rock and going for dance pop instead wink.gif Two of my potentials this month were also acoustic folk and Indian dance. tongue.gif Maybe September will bring one of those wink.gif

Looking through the Jupiterdonia national thread we've only really diversified more and more as we've went along, dance-pop twice before, pure dance once (One of my faves that was stuck in a semi with none of dance bloc sad.gif ), dance-rap, indie twice, rap again, K-pop and whatever Femme En Fourrure and Peaches would fall into. Maybe we'll go back to indie pop rock eventually...

+Quote this post
m
post Aug 7 2018, 06:12 PM
Post #13
Group icon
I asked for my account to be banned
User: 7,132
Ooh I'm not sure if I've maybe heard them before already but I'm really liking Liam's, Dan's and Seven's!

+Quote this post
FrankLuck
post Aug 7 2018, 06:14 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 10,284

Oh, my debut definitely defined my BJSC career, my first semi last finish, followed by many others laugh.gif

Not my best entry, but I still stand behind it, I don't think that it deserved doing that badly.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post Aug 7 2018, 09:00 PM
Post #15
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561
Dye “Fantasy”

I won't post the official video as it is a bit bizarre to say the least, it did not qualify. sad.gif

+Quote this post
Brer
post Aug 7 2018, 09:28 PM
Post #16
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
The video is the best part of it though!!!

(ok maybe not)

This was my very first entry, obviously setting the standard for the very obscure artists I usually send to the contest now... tongue.gif

It is a tune of life though <3 (and yet somehow didn't even come close to qualifying)

QUOTE(FrankLuck @ Aug 7 2018, 07:14 PM) *

Oh, my debut definitely defined my BJSC career, my first semi last finish, followed by many others laugh.gif

Not my best entry, but I still stand behind it, I don't think that it deserved doing that badly.

Really underrated song, can't believe this came last in the semi.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post Aug 7 2018, 09:37 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Yeah, me neither (it did somehow qualify tho)

+Quote this post
Roba.
post Aug 7 2018, 09:44 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

A tune and I was chuffed with myself for it being my first entry which narrowly avoided bottom 10 in the final (literally!!).

I do think I've progressed to much deeper lengths from here though but at least it wasn't average or something I'd say was a least fave etc :')

+Quote this post
✖ leww ✖
post Aug 7 2018, 09:47 PM
Post #19
Group icon
escape in the taste of summerrrrrr
User: 9,403
trifoski and cumbumbleumbia sending two of their best songs as a DEBUT tho! wub.gif

mine...

b4 she was a THING ok!!!!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Aug 7 2018, 09:53 PM
Post #20
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

Never stood a chance at BJSC but it was one of my favourite songs of the moment, and that's a mentality I kept with all of my entries that followed. Came 21st in the semi (when 15 or so would have qualified).

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:25 AM