BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Best U2 Album?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
What's your favourite U2 album?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 27
Guests cannot vote 
De Niro
post 2nd June 2006, 11:46 PM
Post #1
Group icon
"God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of
User: 254

Well obviously many consider their best album "The Joshua Tree" but although it used to be my favourite i now perfer Acthung Baby biggrin.gif I think it is far more diverse and creative and is definatly thier best album smile.gif

The thing i love about U2 is that throughout their near 30 year carear they have consistantly released great albums and their last two have been favourites of mine and i look forward to the forthcoming album later this year yahoo.gif

My least favourite album is either Zooropa or Pop but i still really like both happy.gif

What does everyone else think?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
thisispop
post 3rd June 2006, 07:32 AM
Post #2
Group icon
I've got an iPod classic and I'm gonna use it!
User: 72

My Top5 would be:

1. Joshua Tree
2. Achtung Baby
3. All That You Can't Leave Behind
4. The Unforgettable Fire
5. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

+Quote this post
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post 3rd June 2006, 07:55 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Always wear a clean pair of knickers, cos you never know when th
User: 190

"War" ("Sunday Bloody Sunday" and "New Year's Day" are the greatest songs U2 ever wrote...), closely followed by "October" and "Unforgettable Fire".....

I've got very little time for anything U2 did after "Joshua Tree".... Their past three or four albums have just been commercial pap....

+Quote this post
Cassidy
post 3rd June 2006, 11:05 AM
Post #4
Group icon
i'm massive
User: 41

I usually try to form my opinion around what I GENUINELY think rather than what the mass majority think but I really do agree that Joshua Tree is one of the best albums, not only that U2 have produced, but that I've ever heard.

+Quote this post
Bono
post 4th June 2006, 03:26 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 341

QUOTE(GRIMLY FIENDISH @ Jun 3 2006, 08:58 AM) *

"War" ("Sunday Bloody Sunday" and "New Year's Day" are the greatest songs U2 ever wrote...), closely followed by "October" and "Unforgettable Fire".....

I've got very little time for anything U2 did after "Joshua Tree".... Their past three or four albums have just been commercial pap....

rolleyes.gif Typicle rock fan attitude rolleyes.gif The real reason you don't like their albums after the Joshua tree has nothing to do with the actual music but the fact that they were the biggest band on earth and it is'nt cool to like a band that sell million of albums.

The Joshua tree is an EXTREMLY over-rated album IMHO sleep.gif Sure the first five tracks are masterpieces but after that the album drags on for me. It gets quite boring infact, something like a Boreplay album rolleyes.gif

Actung Baby on the other hand as a previous poster mentioned is FAR better. It is an absolute classic record and has all types of music on it, including the classic "One".

How any true music fan could'nt recognice how superb a song like "Sometimes you can't make it on your own" is beyond my understanding dry.gif

U2's last two album pissed all over most of today exuses of bands such as the whiney little $h!ts that are "Codlplay", and over twenty-five years into their carear they are able to put on a concert like no other band could possibly smile.gif

+Quote this post
crazy chris
post 4th June 2006, 03:44 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 53

The Joshua Tree for me,no contest.

+Quote this post
Grandwicky
post 4th June 2006, 03:48 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 49

I'm probably alone in this but I the one I always enjoy the most is 'All You Can't Leave Behind' sure most of their older stuff had most of the classic songs everyone will always remember but this is the one which I enjoy most overall as the others had too many songs that didn't really do it for me...

+Quote this post
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post 4th June 2006, 04:17 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Always wear a clean pair of knickers, cos you never know when th
User: 190

QUOTE(Bono @ Jun 4 2006, 04:29 PM) *

rolleyes.gif Typicle rock fan attitude rolleyes.gif The real reason you don't like their albums after the Joshua tree has nothing to do with the actual music but the fact that they were the biggest band on earth and it is'nt cool to like a band that sell million of albums.

The Joshua tree is an EXTREMLY over-rated album IMHO sleep.gif Sure the first five tracks are masterpieces but after that the album drags on for me. It gets quite boring infact, something like a Boreplay album rolleyes.gif

Actung Baby on the other hand as a previous poster mentioned is FAR better. It is an absolute classic record and has all types of music on it, including the classic "One".

How any true music fan could'nt recognice how superb a song like "Sometimes you can't make it on your own" is beyond my understanding dry.gif

U2's last two album pissed all over most of today exuses of bands such as the whiney little $h!ts that are "Codlplay", and over twenty-five years into their carear they are able to put on a concert like no other band could possibly smile.gif

You wont find me putting up a defence for Coldplay mate, I find them to be as boring and tedious as U2's current material (U2, it comes as no surprise, is a big influence on Coldplay...) so you're barking up the wrong tree. And by the way, in the mid-80s U2 were probably my favourite band, but when I heard "Rattle and Hum" I just tuned out, it bored me.... "Achtung Baby" has some good individual tracks on it, but I dont rate it at all as an album. But, I am eternally grateful to U2 for ridding the charts of that fukkin' awful Brian Adams track which had infested our brains for 14 bloody weeks.... dry.gif

The fact is, the bigger they got, the bigger Bono's ego got and the music suffered as a result, becoming less compelling and for me, less worth listening to. If Bono stopped being an egocentric dick and stopped trying to save the world and acting like the bleeding Messiah, and concentrated more on the actual music, it might actually be a bit better than it is.. I rate the first three albums pretty much over all the others because they are raw, exciting and unpretentious - Bono had not become the boring, egotistical w/anker that he was to become in the 90s.....

You can call my reply a "typical rock fan response" if that makes you feel better, but I don't know how to be anything other than totally honest in my views... As for live performance, you are correct, U2 are a compelling live band, it's just a shame the albums they make no longer hold any interest for me....

+Quote this post
De Niro
post 4th June 2006, 04:19 PM
Post #9
Group icon

QUOTE(Grandwicky @ Jun 4 2006, 04:51 PM) *

I'm probably alone in this but I the one I always enjoy the most is 'All You Can't Leave Behind' sure most of their older stuff had most of the classic songs everyone will always remember but this is the one which I enjoy most overall as the others had too many songs that didn't really do it for me...

I absolutelly love All that you can't leave behind. I have great memeries of playing it in the summer of 2000 wub.gif The first 7 songs are so bloody brilliant yahoo.gif and the rest of the songs are also very good but not near as brilliant as the first half.

My favourites have to be In a little while, Wild honey, Kite and Walk on, oh and Stuck in a moment wub.gif

How to dismatle an atomic bomb overall is better IMO though. The only below average song on it is "one step close" sleep.gif

+Quote this post
Jupiter9
post 4th June 2006, 04:22 PM
Post #10
Group icon
The Last of the Rock Stars
User: 368

Achtung Baby is my favourite. sleep.gif

+Quote this post
Grandwicky
post 13th June 2006, 10:55 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Scotty. @ Jun 4 2006, 05:22 PM) *

I absolutelly love All that you can't leave behind. I have great memeries of playing it in the summer of 2000 wub.gif The first 7 songs are so bloody brilliant yahoo.gif and the rest of the songs are also very good but not near as brilliant as the first half.

My favourites have to be In a little while, Wild honey, Kite and Walk on, oh and Stuck in a moment wub.gif

How to dismatle an atomic bomb overall is better IMO though. The only below average song on it is "one step close" sleep.gif

Yeah Walk On is probably up there with my all time favourites wub.gif Crumbs On Your Table also wasn't that great imo from HTDAAB. sad.gif

+Quote this post
De Niro
post 13th June 2006, 10:58 PM
Post #12
Group icon

QUOTE(Grandwicky @ Jun 13 2006, 11:58 PM) *

Yeah Walk On is probably up there with my all time favourites wub.gif Crumbs On Your Table also wasn't that great imo from HTDAAB. sad.gif

Yeah, it has alot of potential to be brilliant but just is'nt sleep.gif

+Quote this post
Grandwicky
post 13th June 2006, 10:59 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

But in general it was still a great album but they've had better wink.gif I still believe that they have some of their best material in front of them though. biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
De Niro
post 13th June 2006, 11:11 PM
Post #14
Group icon

QUOTE(Grandwicky @ Jun 14 2006, 12:02 AM) *

But in general it was still a great album but they've had better wink.gif I still believe that they have some of their best material in front of them though. biggrin.gif

I agree, i love them due to them being so diverce, i mean they've done every type of music over the years and most of it has been ace. biggrin.gif

I can't wait for their new album cool2.gif

+Quote this post
Jester
post 14th June 2006, 10:40 AM
Post #15
Group icon
Right in front of my salad?!
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12

The Joshua Tree, a fabulous deep, heartfelt album.

+Quote this post
Grandwicky
post 14th June 2006, 08:19 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Scotty. @ Jun 14 2006, 12:14 AM) *

I agree, i love them due to them being so diverce, i mean they've done every type of music over the years and most of it has been ace. biggrin.gif

I can't wait for their new album cool2.gif

Is that last smilie Bono then? tongue.gif rotf.gif

cool2.gif

+Quote this post
Kel
post 20th June 2006, 06:41 PM
Post #17
Group icon
New Entry
User: 793

QUOTE(Grandwicky @ Jun 4 2006, 04:54 PM) *

I'm probably alone in this but I the one I always enjoy the most is 'All You Can't Leave Behind'

No you're not really alone Grandwicky, I found myself actually waivering unsure.gif between Actung Baby & this and chose the former as I've been playing on the MP3 player recently.

But I was also thinking I must dig out ATYCLB as I loved it at one time (a true sing a long album) but flogged it (I've done this with Atomic Bomb) & then put it away sad.gif

I think, as some have said, their best is yet to come, and although the nostalgia value of their early albums (pre Unforgettable) gives me a warm fuzzy feeling mellow.gif They have for me come a long way both as writers & preformers since.

Atomic Bomb was for me was fresh, exciting and revelant. It could hold its own amongst the twenty-something popstars in the charts and that's the magic of U2 although some of us fans might live down memory lane - U2 definitely live in the here and now. cool2.gif

Kel

+Quote this post
blade699
post 20th June 2006, 10:53 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 64

All That You Can't Leave Behind

+Quote this post