BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> RESULTS: 5 Seconds of Summer - The Singles Rate, i wish that i could wake up with amnesia (re. some of these results x)
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post 15th May 2020, 11:02 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

8/10 of my personal Top 10 have made the overall Top 10, so I'm pleased! biggrin.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Calum
post 15th May 2020, 11:18 PM
Post #22
Group icon
nabad
Pronouns: he/him
User: 18,316

9 - 10

9 Jet Black Heart

Average score: 7.95
Highest: 10.0 (Calum, Jahq, Hooker)
Lowest: 06.0 (Dobbo)

10 Girls Talk Boys

Average score: 7.41
Highest: 10.0 (Scene, George.keh)
Lowest: 04.5 (Nick F1)

Into the top 10 now, and kicking us off is the band's contribution to the 2016 remake of the supernatural comedy movie Ghostbusters. Released in July 2016, the song is quite understated and is often forgotten about (or maybe some people didn't actually know it existed until now either) - but it did manage to peak at #28 in the UK, and despite not being quite so comfortably ahead of some of their other singles in terms of average scores here, it's still managed a decent showing landing in the top 10. I don't really have much else to say about this song because it's not one that I revisit much myself, but from listening to it to beef this commentary up a little bit, it is a decent track and it's funky and was certainly something a little different to a typical 5SOS song - before we ventured off into their new style(s) with Youngblood and CALM.

Just ahead of Girls Talk Boys is Jet Black Heart, the third and final single to be taken from the boys' second album Sounds Good Feels Good. Written by band members Calum and Michael, this song will always hold a special place in my heart. 5SOS, for me, really excel with their ballads. Yeah, we love their up-tempo pop-rock sound, or their new alternative style, but they really do sound at their most passionate, vulnerable, open and rawest on ballads. This, Amnesia, Ghost of You, Broken Home, Wherever You Are, etc - all fantastic songs (check the others out if you haven't heard them x). This one took a little longer to worm its way into people's affections - probably more highly thought of now than when it was released considering it only peaked at #60 in the UK, and barely made a dent in the Billboard Hot 100, peaking at #95. A really subtly powerful song though; great to see it land a top 10 spot here!

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 15th May 2020, 11:32 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

Ew, 'Girls Talk Boys' is far too high.

'Jet Black Heart' is easily their best ballad for me! wub.gif Had forgotten all about it until the rate!

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 16th May 2020, 04:44 PM
Post #24
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

Meh to both of those.

Shame 'Teeth' missed the top 10 here, I really quite love it.

+Quote this post
Calum
post 17th May 2020, 07:10 AM
Post #25
Group icon
nabad

7 - 8

7 Don't Stop

Average score: 8.05
Highest: 11.0 (George.keh, Jonjo, Tawdry Hepburn)
Lowest: 03.0 (Nick F1)

8 Wildflower

Average score: 7.95
Highest: 11.0 (Liam.k.)
Lowest: 05.0 (ElectroBoy)

Next up we have the most recent addition to the 5SOS singles catalogue; Wildflower. Released as the fifth single from CALM, the song was the final insight into what was in store on their fourth album CALM - despite the fact that after this there was very little new music for us to actually listen to on the album by the time it came around. This, however, is undoubtedly one of their best to date - receiving an 11.0 and a few 10.0s in this rate. The song packs a punch from the very first second, and that continues throughout as they give us some of the most enjoyable 3 minutes. The whole aesthetic for this is very hippy-trippy; the accompanying music video is like they all went on a trip (a good one, though) and decided to document it on YouTube. In terms of chart success, the song did absolutely nothing - it did manage to sneak inside the top 100 peaking at #81, but didn't make a dent on the top 40 at all. Calum, Michael and Ashton (oops where were you Luke?) deserve all the praise under the sun for writing this song because I can definitely see it remaining one of their best years down the line.

Just ahead of Wildflower is the band's second ever single, Don't Stop, taken from their self-titled debut era. Following She Looks So Perfect with a song that hit just as hard was always going to be a bit of a task, and while Don't Stop is certainly a bit more understated than the aforementioned, they managed to tick all the boxes again and gave us another bop. Released in 2014, the song managed to peak at #2 in the UK singles chart and was a #1 in other countries too (Scotland and Ireland's taste jumping out here!). The video is a fun typical 5SOS one that we've now become accustomed to - they don their superhero capes - with Calum looking extra slick in that tight green lycra - and save the world. I'm surprised this has finished as high as #7 in this rate because I generally thought that people didn't like it as much as some of their other singles, but it's good to see that it did bag a few 11.0 scores here, and that the majority of other scores didn't tend to dip below 07.0 (a couple of 03.0 and 04.0s aside x). Just one more song to go before the all-important top 5 now! ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 17th May 2020, 09:22 AM
Post #26
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217

I think Girls Talk Boys is one of their weaker moments, I'm kind of surprised to see it Top 10... Teeth deserved it more!

A shame to see Old Me so low down, it's a grower and definitely within my Top 10 of their singles.

Wildflower is brilliant wub.gif My third favourite! A shame that they don't achieve much success with their singles anymore, it should have been a hit.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 17th May 2020, 10:17 AM
Post #27
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

'Don't Stop' is their best song!

+Quote this post
Hooker
post 20th May 2020, 02:56 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 9,274

Jet Black Heart is an absolute epic of a ballad, it's definitely their All Too Well. Very few songs make me cry but this is one of them.

Girls Talk Boys is underrated and and a hidden gem in their discography. It really was a turning point for them in that, in my opinion, it was their first mature pop song.

Wildflower has that massive power pop chorus and I really like how 'light' it is compared to their usual output (would love them to go in this direction sonically in the future), but something is just missing for me - can't quite put my finger on it, maybe it needs Luke on vocals (sorry Calum). It really is a would-be perfect pop song, but it just falls short for me. Still one of the highlights from CALM, though.

+Quote this post
Riser
post 21st May 2020, 02:22 AM
Post #29
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

QUOTE(Hooker @ May 20 2020, 10:56 AM) *
Jet Black Heart is an absolute epic of a ballad, it's definitely their All Too Well. Very few songs make me cry but this is one of them.
Never thought of this comparison before but I love it! ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Calum
post 27th May 2020, 10:08 PM
Post #30
Group icon
nabad

6 No Shame

Average score: 8.13
Highest: 10.0 (Liam.k., George.keh, Dexton, Jay)
Lowest: 05.5 (Scene)

The only song not to receive an 11.0 score in the top 8, at #6 it's No Shame - the third single to be taken from their most recent album CALM. Despite a plethora of 10.0 scores, it narrowly misses out on the top 5; which is still a pretty great achievement considering at the time the rate started most of the 'recent' singles from CALM (this, Old Me and Wildflower) were all still relatively brand new to most. I must admit, I only just watched the music video for the first time when getting it to attach to this post, and it's just as much of a trip as the Wildflower video; so much quick flashes between scenes, and very colourful imagery throughout. Their music videos have been on point for this era though, perfectly matching the style of the music. No Shame is definitely one of my favourites to come out of this era, so I'm glad it's managed to fend off some really tough competition and finish this high! Not an absolute favourite in the 5SOS back catalogue, but I'm sure it'll be one we all look back on fondly from the CALM era. It's just a shame it didn't manage to break the top 40 in the UK - peaking only at #68 before a disastrous fall into irrelevancy, I assume. kink.gif

+Quote this post
Calum
post 30th May 2020, 05:30 PM
Post #31
Group icon
nabad

5 Want You Back

Average score: 8.28
Highest: 11.0 (Hooker)
Lowest: 06.0 (Dobbo, Tawdry Hepburn)

Down to the final five songs now, and Want You Back is the first song to drop out. A reminder of the four songs left now (in alphabetical order): Amnesia, Easier, She Looks So Perfect, Youngblood. Want You Back was our first taster of a very different kind of 5SOS. Following on from the Sounds Good Feels Good era, this song introduced us to a different style, albeit still retaining some of 5SOS' rock-pop goodness to allow for a smooth transition, considering some of the album tracks on Youngblood. The first single of the era, Want You Back was positively received upon its release, however in terms of commercial success... it still didn't manage to do much. In the UK, it did chart in the top 40 but only reached a peak of #22. I guess Youngblood is the bigger (and better?) brother to Want You Back, but nobody could have predicted that at the time, and this seemed like it should have been a moment for the band too. I think my only gripe with this, Youngblood, and basically all of their third era is that there was so much focus on Luke as an individual (obviously being the lead singer it's to be expected, but both eras prior shared the focus between all four pretty evenly). He was the predominant feature of all of their videos, the artwork for this single, the vocals on most tracks, and all I wanted to see was Calum, Ashton and Michael for longer than a few seconds at a time. cry.gif laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 30th May 2020, 05:34 PM
Post #32
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045

Wild that Easier is top 4 when there’s so many other tunes in the top 10

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 17th June 2020, 12:46 AM
Post #33
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

'Don't Stop' is about where I expected tbh! But it's such a banger and deserves better wub.gif

I expected 'Want You Back' to be higher!

+Quote this post
Calum
post 20th June 2020, 01:48 PM
Post #34
Group icon
nabad

I will finish these results very soon - wasn't sure whether to pick this up during the week what with all that was happening on Twitter ph34r.gif

+Quote this post
Calum
post 21st June 2020, 10:23 PM
Post #35
Group icon
nabad

4 She Looks So Perfect

Average score: 8.28
Highest: 11.0 (Dobbo, JosephStyles, Jahq, Riser)
Lowest: 03.5 (Scene)

Not managing to make it into the top three here is the group's debut single, She Looks So Perfect, leaving it a three-horse race between Amnesia, Easier and Youngblood for the crown! Released on 21 February 2014, this is the moment 5SOS really came into the public eye and let everybody know they were here, and that they weren't going anywhere. Offering a different kind of sound to the typical boy-band trope we were experiencing with the likes of One Direction, etc at the time, 5SOS managed to hit #1 with the song here in the UK, and it also went to the top of the charts in other countries too. Michael and Ashton wrote this song, and it's a great, fun song that works as a perfect introduction to the band for those that weren't around in the early days. Fear not though because they released an EP for the single with some of their older songs including The Only Reason, Disconnected and Heartache on the Big Screen. The music video for the song is... something (to say the least) - seeing everybody parading around in nothing but their American Apparel underwear was a sight. One thing that's always kinda annoyed me about the lyrics/the title of the song is that they say 'you look so perfect' and at no point say 'she looks so perfect'. It's so minor, but I always wonder why it's not just called 'You Look So Perfect'. ph34r.gif While the song racked up a fair number of high scores in the rate here, it also managed to attract a number of very low scores too, hence why it hasn't managed to make it all the way to the top!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 21st June 2020, 11:27 PM
Post #36
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

SLSP is a lot of fun! A nice song to kick their careers off!

+Quote this post
Scene
post 22nd June 2020, 08:43 AM
Post #37
Group icon
Baby Reindeer
User: 5,567

Easier needs to fall out next then we have the RIGHT top 2.

+Quote this post
Calum
post 27th June 2020, 08:01 PM
Post #38
Group icon
nabad

3 Amnesia

Average score: 8.37
Highest: 11.0 (Calum, Dexton, Mack, Wall)
Lowest: -1.0 (Dobbo)

The first ballad that 5 Seconds of Summer released from their self-titled debut era, Amnesia was released as the third single from the album and showed off a different side to them following She Looks So Perfect and Don't Stop. I didn't think Amnesia was going to end up finishing as high as this (and note: the song at #2 is only 0.01 ahead in terms of average score!), but I'm so happy it has. For me, it's by far their best ballad, and definitely one of their strongest songs from their entire discography. It's emotional, it's beautiful and the music video is one of the most stunning with Calum taking centre stage in terms of both visuals and vocals. It feels like Amnesia does get a hard time of it - I don't know why a lot of people seem to dislike it as much as they do; maybe too typical boy-band and not as edgy as most of 5SOS' other singles? Who knows? Anyway, Amnesia managed another top 10 hit for the band, reaching #7 in the UK, while it also went top 10 in many other countries around the world. Not bad considering we were well into their album campaign by now. The only place it kinda flopped (top 40 isn't that bad at all, but relatively speaking) was in the US... maybe it just took them a lot longer to warm to them than the rest of the world. I'm glad I wasn't alone in rewarding this song an 11 too - it received an 11 from three others, however is the only song in the top 5 that managed to score a -1.0 too. Still managed to hold on strong though with most other scores ranging from 10.0 to 08.5! Now we're down to the final two - which will win between EASIER and YOUNGBLOOD? ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Scene
post 27th June 2020, 08:06 PM
Post #39
Group icon
Baby Reindeer
User: 5,567

Deserved to be top 2. drama.gif

+Quote this post
Calum
post 27th June 2020, 09:19 PM
Post #40
Group icon
nabad

2 Easier

Average score: 8.38
Highest: 11.0 (Jamie Barkley)
Lowest: 06.5 (Hooker)

1 Youngblood

Average score: 9.93
Highest: 11.0 (Scene, SamJudd, Nick F1, ElectroBoy, Jay)
Lowest: 08.5 (JosephStyles, Riser)

FINALLY, we come to the very end of the 5SOS Singles Rate results - and we have a winner! Youngblood has been voted Buzzjack's favourite 5SOS single, with Easier finishing in second place. Interestingly, Easier received only one score of 11.0, while both Amnesia (in third place) and Youngblood received the majority of the 11.0s from everybody that voted. Easier's scores, however, managed to remain consistently high compared to Amnesia's; while there were no scores for Youngblood lower than 08.5 - impressive! As much as I love Easier I'm a bit... miffed that it's finished as high as #2, but great to see some of the music from their most recent album CALM getting the recognition it deserves in this rate (even if it seems like a lifetime ago Easier happened). Youngblood seems like the one 5SOS song that's always going to come out on top no matter what they continue to release, so well done to that too!

Thanks to everybody who rated and to those that have commented along and stuck with the results with the gaps in between presenting kink.gif heart.gif

FULL RESULTS

1. Youngblood
2. Easier
3. Amnesia
4. She Looks So Perfect
5. Want You Back
6. No Shame
7. Don't Stop
8. Wildflower
9. Jet Black Heart
10. Girls Talk Boys

11. Teeth
12. Lie to Me (feat. Julia Michaels)
13. Who Do You Love (with The Chainsmokers)
14. Good Girls
15. Valentine
16. She's Kinda Hot
17. Old Me
18. Out of My Limit
19. Wherever You Are
20. What I Like About You

21. Killer Queen
22. The Only Reason
23. Hey Everybody!

+Quote this post