BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Oscars x 2017 x The Contenders, New Format This Year! What Films Are Going For Glory?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
UltraCruelSummer
post Sep 3 2016, 05:52 PM
Post #1
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
Hello and welcome to the first of many threads to come! This thread will see me and Jahq take an in depth look at the Oscar Contenders on the list below and their chances for Oscar glory. If anyone wants to contribute to these posts, please pm me or Jahq. This will follow the same format from last year! (http://www.buzzjack.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=184055&view=findpost&p=5233742 is an example post of how it will look like!) and will include everything from poster, trailer, brief synopsis, Oscar chances, Reviews and where it could succeed or fail!

However the change this year is instead of doing a few over the couple of weeks leading to Oscar season, we will be looking at every Oscar contender! And this leads to another change which is we will be reviewing the films on the release date they come out on (apart from some of the contenders which will be released here after Oscar nominations come out) so this thread will be constantly updated throughout the next few months so please read and comment!

Contenders:
Out Now: 10 Cloverfield Lane
Out Now: Florence Foster Jenkins
Out Now: Zootropolis
Out Now: The Jungle Book

Out Now: Finding Dory
9/9: Hell Or High Water
5/10: The Girl On The Train
14/10: American Honey
4/11: Nocturnal Animals
11/11: American Pastoral
11/11: Arrival
25/11: A United Kingdom
25/11: Allied
25/11: Paterson
2/12: Bleed For This
2/12: Moana
2/12: Sully
16/12: Star Wars: Rogue One
23/12: Passengers
30/12: Collateral Beauty

6/1: A Monster Calls
6/1: Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk
13/1: La La Land
13/1: Live By Night (?)
13/1: Manchester By The Sea
20/1: 20th Century Women
20/1: Birth Of A Nation
3/2: Loving
17/2: The Founder
24/2: Elle
24/2: Hidden Figuers

NA: Fences
NA: Hacksaw Ridge
NA: Jackie
NA: Lion
NA: Miss Sloane
NA: Moonlight
NA: Rules Don't Aplly
NA: Silence

(width 750, height 200)
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Sep 28 2016, 11:13 PM
Post #2
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
Bump! Will be starting soon!

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post Sep 29 2016, 01:33 AM
Post #3
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308
10 Cloverfield Lane? Doubt it lol

Zootopia is a good shout

+Quote this post
Addy!
post Sep 29 2016, 03:34 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,666
I think Queen of Katwe also could be a contender.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post Sep 29 2016, 06:48 AM
Post #5
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692
I think there are going to be three big contenders again for the main categories like last year with Spotlight, The Big Short and The Revenant.

Thinking this year Fences, La La Land and Manchester by the Sea are going to do very well with Billy Lynn up there too.

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post Sep 29 2016, 07:28 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471
Natalie Portman vs Viola Davis?

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post Sep 29 2016, 07:32 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471
Even with two great films I just don't see Amy Adams winning. Actresses don't win with sci-fi, and Nocturnal Animals is unlikely.

Is Meryl going to get a default nomination? It seems too strong this year.

This post has been edited by blacksquare: Sep 29 2016, 07:32 AM

+Quote this post
Addy!
post Sep 29 2016, 01:53 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,666
I for once think Meryl deserves to be nominated...she did marvelous job as Florence Jenkins Foster

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Oct 1 2016, 04:37 PM
Post #9
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
So let's get started!

QUOTE(Cody Hough @ Sep 29 2016, 02:33 AM) *
10 Cloverfield Lane? Doubt it lol

Zootopia is a good shout

I'm only including it as I think there is one bigcategory it could sneak into (and no that's not Best Picture!)

QUOTE(blacksquare @ Sep 29 2016, 08:32 AM) *
Even with two great films I just don't see Amy Adams winning. Actresses don't win with sci-fi, and Nocturnal Animals is unlikely.

Is Meryl going to get a default nomination? It seems too strong this year.

Yeah I can't see it this year, it rly does feel too strong!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Oct 1 2016, 04:53 PM
Post #10
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

Brief Synopsis: After getting in a car accident, a woman is held in a shelter with two men, who claim the outside world is affected by a widespread chemical attack.
OSCAR CATEGORIES CHANCES: John Goodman (Best Supporting Actor), Tech Categories
Distributor: Paramount

Rotten Tomatoes Score And Critic Consensus: 90% (231, 26). Top Critics: 91% (40, 4)
Critics Consensus: Critics Consensus: Smart, solidly crafted, and palpably tense, 10 Cloverfield Lane makes the most of its confined setting and outstanding cast -- and suggests a new frontier for franchise filmmaking.

BOX OFFICE: Surprise hit- Had a very good multiplier worldwide for a horror-ish film!

Why It Might Succeed: Great reviews. Very good box office. Still remembered very well by many.
Why It Might Not Succeed: Early year release. Genre film with horror elements.

Current Predictions: I don't think this will crack the big categories but don't be shocked to see John Goodman's name appear if he gets nominations from the precursors. Can see this ending up in a couple of the smaller categories though!

Buzzjack's Reviews:
Burbe: This is amazing! My favourite movie I've seen this year I think. I was gripped from start to finish! It was very slightly predictable in a couple of scenes but I don't care because it was executed brilliantly. I was worried, given the setting, it was plod along and developments would take a while but it's actually very well paced.

Jack: I kind of like that it didn't explain everything! Not everything has to be obvious I think. I thought it was a very clever movie actually, not what I expected at all. Probably my second favourite movie of this year behind 'Room' for me.

Jahq: Impressed with how interested this managed to keep me, with pretty much three characters and such a confined setting. It's not something I'd normally go for but the trailer was intriguing and the word of mouth and reviews have been very good so I'm pleased that I took the chance, really enjoyed it. I liked how it kept us guessing and really liked the cast / characters.

Joe: Oh yes, this is indeed fantastic - one of the best of the year so far for me.

Jonjo: One of the most perfectly paced films, I think I've ever seen. I really enjoyed it. Probs my 4th favourite of the year to date ('The Revenant', 'Room' & 'Deadpool' are ahead). Extremely tense and gripping and the final half an hour-40 mins or so were SO good! Looking forward to catching this again to see if I missed anything the first time around.

Josh: The majority of this was fantastic, so thrilling and John Goodman was fantastic, so unnerving at moments. It was suspenseful pretty much from start to finish which I really liked, it sort of reminded me of a different version of Room if it focused on the relationship between the kidnapped and Ma instead of her and Jack. The ending I hated though, it would have been a fantastic thriller without it but it just turned into a boring action movie and I was so disappointed. I'd have much preferred a cliffhanger ending where she sees something in the sky and it's left up to the viewers whether it's an ordinary helicopter or alien spaceship and then it ended, I'd have been well satisfied with an ending like that.

Lotti: I REALLY enjoyed this! Me and my friend were just holding each other throughout most of the second half as we found it super intense :') I thought the characters were played really well, and I seriously enjoyed how smart Michelle was.

PopChartFreak: Good character drama with a tagged-on ending (sort of) 6/10. (PS the cast are good, the script is good, the directing good. John is Good(man), a terrific performance and a long way from his usual loveable type of role).

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Oct 1 2016, 05:12 PM
Post #11
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

Brief Synopsis: The story of Florence Foster Jenkins, a New York heiress who dreamed of becoming an opera singer, despite having a terrible singing voice.
OSCAR CATEGORIES CHANCES: Meryl Streep (Lead Actress), Hugh Grant (Supporting Actor), Make-Up
Distributor: 20th Century Fox

Rotten Tomatoes Score And Critic Consensus: 86% (151, 24). Top Critics: 92% (35, 3)
Critics Consensus: Critics Consensus: Florence Foster Jenkins makes poignant, crowd-pleasing dramedy out of its stranger-than-fiction tale -- and does its subject justice with a reliably terrific turn from star Meryl Streep.

BOX OFFICE: Solid hit, did similar to Meryl's recent efforts such as Ricki And The Flash

Why It Might Succeed: It has Meryl Streep. Very good reviews.
Why It Might Not Succeed: Earlish year release, will get lost in the crowd. Nothing out of this world. Past August films such as Ricki & The Flash and Hope Springs didn't turn up anywhere.

Current Predictions: Full snub. Don't get all the Hugh Grant nomination predictions and Meryl would sneak in most years but Best Actress is far too strong this year for that to happen this time round!

Buzzjack's Reviews:
Jahq: I started off enjoying it enough, Simon Helberg was a highlight, I lived for his reaction to first hearing Florence sing, but overall I think I was wanting something a bit more and found it rather one note. Yes, she can't sing, hahahaha, very funny.

Josh: This is just one of those really 'lovely' movies, it captured what Philomena did too whilst being funny and light whilst dreadfully sad at times too. Meryl was fantastic, so funny during all the singing scenes, the lady next to me must have cried from laughing about five times. Hugh Grant was fantastic too, so utterly charming and you feel so warm towards him (even though he basically cheated on her). The only cast member I wasn't a fan of was Simon Helberg, I usually like him but he made some odd character choices and was just a bit too over the top, he got really annoying within his first minute of screentime. Overall, I really enjoyed it, a funny movie with an uplifting message behind it with a hard-hitting ending as well. Hoping it turns into a bit of a Lady in the Van type hit.

PopChartFreak: well made, good cast, good performances, mildly endearing, beautifully period shot/SFX'd and costumed, and a few laughs - Simon's facial reactions are what makes it funny, essential to the humour. Some people in the cinema pissed themselves laughing. 6/10.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Oct 1 2016, 05:25 PM
Post #12
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

Brief Synopsis: In a city of anthropomorphic animals, a rookie bunny cop and a cynical con artist fox must work together to uncover a conspiracy.
OSCAR CATEGORIES CHANCES: Best Picture, Original Screenplay, Animated Feature, Original Song (Try Everything)
Distributor: Disney

Rotten Tomatoes Score And Critic Consensus: 98% (216, 4). Top Critics: 98% (41, 1)
Critics Consensus: Critics Consensus:The brilliantly well-rounded Zootopia offers a thoughtful, inclusive message that's as rich and timely as its sumptuously state-of-the-art animation -- all while remaining fast and funny enough to keep younger viewers entertained.

BOX OFFICE: Absolute monster smash, passed the $1,000,000 worldwide mark and had terrific legs after great openings in literally every country!

Why It Might Succeed: Absolute adoration. High praise for the story, message and theme. Monster box office smash. Still widely talked about after release with many passionate fans of the movie.
Why It Might Not Succeed: Still only 3 animated features have been nominated for the main award. Early release can hurt, see The LEGO Movie 2 years ago.

Current Predictions: Animated Feature is about 99% happening. Can see it sneaking into either screenplay or song depending on how precursors go!

Buzzjack's Reviews:
Cameron : This was incredible, really enjoyed it! Ginnifer Goodwin was fantastic as Judy!

HausOfKubrick : Another fantastic animated classic from Disney. I'd say this is the most important film they've made in a long time. In light of the events of the past week and months it was so painfully relevant and Hopps' final speech at the end hit the nail on the head completely. Saw it in a packed cinema filled with adults and children and the laughs came from everyone. Beautiful settings, loveable characters and as I've said a very essential message. Loved it. Animated Disney can do no wrong recently.

Jack : This surprised me, I really wasn't expecting it to be this good! I don't often see animated films in the cinema, mainly due to bratty children but this was so funny and had such a great and very important message regarding race and prejudice throughout. Probably my favourite film of the year, maybe just behind Room.

Jahq: Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. It carries such great messages all the way through and it's SO cute. I tended to think the smaller the creature, the cuter it was, I especially liked whichever species it was buying up the pawpsicles and Mr Big and his daughter laugh.gif As a standalone song I don't know if "Try Everything" would be that great, but with the context of the movie I loved it. I had such a smile on my face during so many scenes.

Joe: So, so good. Not quite as good as Big Hero 6, for me, but really excellent. Disney really are entering another golden age quality wise.

Josh: Thought this was fantastic, Disney are on such a roll at the moment with their animated movies. My favourite thing about this was the fantastic world building, the scene were Judy first goes through Zootropolis on the train is magical, so many cute moments too like the tall giraffe cars and the cheap movie stall selling stuff like Pig Hero 6 and Meowana laugh.gif All the characters were great, fell in love with the two leads especially. The third act was also so exciting, loads of twists and turns and all quite unexpected and the joke that the film ends on with Flash was hilarious, I couldn't stop laughing laugh.gif I liked the messages too and they managed to make it never too preachy, I do prefer Big Hero 6 and Wreck-It Ralph but Disney animation are well and truly back on top form.

PopChartFreak: Enjoyed it, enjoyed the voice cast, pleasant, amusing and heart-warming enough, though not quite up there with Pixar, it's a bit fluffy-bunny-ier laugh.gif 7/10.

Richie : Another vote here for best film of 2016 so far. Disney (not Pixar) are light years ahead of other studios in animation right now. Big Hero 6 and Wreck-It Ralph were also fantastic. I'd say they've not been this consistent since Walt died.

T Boy : This was amazing. Even though I'd already seen the sloth scene, I was in TEARS of joy.

Ultraviolence1989 : First of all, what an absolutely gorgeous animation movie! The animation was absolutely fantastic and some of the best animation I have ever seen, it all looked really realistic and Zootopia looks like such a fun and beautiful city! The voice cast were also amazing, Ginnifer Goodwin and Jason Bateman brought so much life to their characters and made you adore them! I also adored the characters, Hopps was cute adorable and Nick was great and really interesting! Another way this movie absolutely excels is the interaction between Nick and Judy and how close they are together! The story is incredible and the film is elevated even more by the many important themes and messages it tackles and successfully conveying them in such a fantastic manner to make Zootropolis an important movie as well as an amazing one wub.gif The movie made me smile and laugh so much the entire time!

+Quote this post
Josh!
post Oct 1 2016, 10:28 PM
Post #13
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692
10 Cloverfield Lane - I'm starting to think that this probably won't get a John Goodman nomination, at the start of the year I actually thought it was quite likely but I just don't see it anymore. I'd love to see that happen as he was great in it though. I think its best chances may actually be in the screenplay category although it is quite hard for sequels/franchises to get nominated there.

Florence Foster Jenkins - Not sure this is going to get any big nominations. Hopefully make up as you mentioned and costume design perhaps as they were lovely but best actress seems pretty difficult to break into this year and this is far from one of Meryl's absolute best performances really.

Zootropolis - Starting to think this is going to win best animated film despite hot competition from the likes of Dory, Kubo and Moana but I'll let the latter have its chance first before I write it off though. Don't see it getting a Best Picture nom really, if any blockbuster is likely to make it then I think it might be The Jungle Book and I doubt the Academy would have two 'kids' films in that category.

+Quote this post
Rupert Pupkin
post Oct 4 2016, 02:03 PM
Post #14
Group icon
New Entry
User: 23,652
American Pastoral any day! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post Oct 7 2016, 03:43 PM
Post #15
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674

Brief Synopsis: After a threat from the tiger Shere Khan forces him to flee the jungle, a man-cub named Mowgli embarks on a journey of self discovery with the help of panther, Bagheera, and free spirited bear, Baloo.
OSCAR CATEGORIES CHANCES: Best Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography, Sound Editing, Visual Effects, Original Score
Distributor: Disney

Rotten Tomatoes: 95% (247 / 14)
Critics Consensus: As lovely to behold as it is engrossing to watch, The Jungle Book is the rare remake that actually improves upon its predecessors -- all while setting a new standard for CGI.
Box Office: Massive. Just shy of $1 billion worldwide, currently the 4th highest grossing movie of the year worldwide (or flat out highest grossing in the UK). No wonder "Lion King" is on the way.

Why it might succeed: If we get a blockbuster up for 'Best Picture', this might be it. Huge praise from critics and audiences alike. Might sneak in if we end up with ten nominees (see: "Up" & "Toy Story 3")
Why it might not succeed: Released early in the year. Kids/family movie, the Academy might just go for more typical Oscar fare and they aren't short of options there. Has more chance in the smaller categories.

Current predictions: Best Picture is too much of a long shot, things like Visual Effects and Sound Editing sound like solid bets though. Sorry Neel Sethi, but if Jacob Tremblay couldn't...

Buzzjack reviews:

Joe: Absolutely fantastic. It helped that I saw it in the IMAX but the visuals were breathtaking. And the story feels fresh and exciting, but still keeps its identity as The Jungle Book. Cannot recommend enough if you're a Disney/Jungle Book fan.
--
Haus / Bal: A lovely, magical film. I was very nervous about seeing it after the original animated Disney version has been a major film for me growing up and now but it didn't *really* disappoint.

I mean it doesn't compare to the original Disney version but I never expected it to, but for a remake it did very well to keep as much of that charm as it could. My one gripe is that the humour was lacking a fair bit and the carefree nature of the original was lost a fair bit here. Still, what it did do, it did very well and some moments of the book that I couldn't imagine being recreated in love-action were done brilliantly. Very imaginative directing.
--
Jack: I thought it was good. Nothing more, nothing less. Much like Bal, The Jungle Book was a huge film to me when I was younger so it would never compare and I agree with the chemistry with Baloo not really being that great.

I also thought there was a severe lack of Kaa, from what I remember he was much more involved in the original film? That was my problem with it I think, it all felt a bit rushed and when it was over, it was over fairly quickly.
--
Jahq: 'Good' was my thought too. The original wasn't a part of my childhood so I'm not comparing it to anything, I enjoyed it but wasn't in LOVE with it. The kid was good, but something about the story or the characters didn't have me completely sold.
--
Josh: I thought this was absolutely fantastic, only had a few very minor faults imo. Unbelievable how realistic they made it all feel with only one character being actually real. All the voice work was fantastic, Idris Elba was petrifying as Shere Khan (my jaw was dropped when he put his paw in front of the wolf pup), Bill Murray sounded loveable as Baloo and Scarlet Johansson had one of my favourite parts as Kaa too, her voice is just so sexy. That was one of my faults, I wish there was more Kaa but I loved the character design of making her so big and Trust In Me sounds fantastic on the soundtrack so that song being in the actual film would have been a real moment.

Overall, I loved the whole film. Had the right balance of humour, cheery-ness whilst still looking breath-taking and have many thrills along the way too. Props to Neel Sethi too for mainly acting convincingly to a bunch of green screen in LA when he's shooting a film set deep inside the Indian jungle.
--
Rooney: I really enjoyed it, the visuals are breathtaking. I watched it in 3D (hate 3D) but it was beautiful. The voice acting was amazing, agree about Idris Elba, he was excellent. Hard to fault the film really.
--
Slick: It was a solid film, executed well, visually stunning, but I wouldn't rush back for a second viewing. I also felt disappointed with the voices. I'm probably comparing to the original film but I didn't feel like any of the voices really fitted the characters properly (except maybe for Baloo.)

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post Oct 7 2016, 03:47 PM
Post #16
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308
Yo what if Suicide Squad got an Oscar nod

+Quote this post
jark
post Oct 7 2016, 04:07 PM
Post #17
Group icon
something you consider rare
User: 2,990
^ Best Marketing should be a shoe-in

+Quote this post
Klaus
post Oct 7 2016, 06:58 PM
Post #18
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160
QUOTE(jark @ Oct 7 2016, 05:07 PM) *
^ Best Marketing should be a shoe-in

Although the winner of that would be Deadpool!

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post Oct 7 2016, 08:56 PM
Post #19
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674

Brief Synopsis: A divorced father and his ex-con older brother resort to a desperate scheme in order to save their family's ranch in West Texas.
OSCAR CATEGORIES CHANCES: Best Picture, Supporting Actor (Jeff Bridges), Original Screenplay, Original Score
Distributor: CBS / StudioCanal

Rotten Tomatoes: 98% (175 / 3)
Critics Consensus: Hell or High Water offers a solidly crafted, well-acted Western heist thriller that eschews mindless gunplay in favor of confident pacing and full-bodied characters.
Box Office: Not a smash but I don't think anyone expected it to be? Had a couple of weeks in the US box office top 10, got to #7 in the UK, surpassed the production budget.

Why it might succeed: 98% - the critics love it! With praise for all of the performances. Jeff Bridges has been nominated by the Academy six times with a win for 'Crazy Heart'.
Why it might not succeed: Might get overlooked in favour of bigger hits, movies with a bit more buzz and which are fresher in voters minds.

Current predictions: Can't see it sneaking into Best Picture but Supporting Actor looks easier to get into so wouldn't be surprised to see Jeff Bridges get his seventh nod, or to see it pop up in a less major category or two.

Buzzjack reviews:

popchartfreak: should be oscar nominated for the performances whch were fab, the 3 principles very very impressive, the script too, but not my sort of film really, relentlessly grim and worthy. 5/10 from me though most will rate it much higher. Not enough spaceships in it for me
--
Josh: I enjoyed this but the accents were SO thick, I really struggled to understand any of the dialogue at all in some scenes which was a bit irritating. Tense in the right moments, strong acting from the three main characters, and strong character development to the point you really feel bad for the characters in the film. I liked the ending a lot too, had plenty of exciting moments to make the slower moments worth it.
--
Jahq: I liked this in a '7/10 - good but not something I'd watch a second time' way, just because the subject matter isn't exactly nice. It had a bit more humour than I would've expected (mainly courtesy of Jeff Bridges and the waitresses) and the performances were very strong, I wouldn't mind it snagging some acting nods. Managed to hold my interest and was just the right length really.
--
Joe: It all felt a bit done to me. Nothing new beyond some great performances. I was entertained but have already forgotten it.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:05 PM