BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Celine Dion vs Mariah Carey vs Whitney Houston!, Who’s Buzzjacks favourite?!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Celine Dion vs Mariah Carey vs Whitney Houston! - Who’s Buzzjacks favourite?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 44
Guests cannot vote 
Jordanlee
post 13th October 2020, 12:04 AM
Post #1
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116

DISCUSS!

Celine Dion, Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston are all amongst the best selling females ever.

All of them are very much known for one thing... VOCALS! Each of them are regularly mentioned amongst the best vocalists of all time and they can all SING! All of them have different techniques, styles but all have talent and hits in common.

But who’s your favourite. Who’s got the best voice? Who would you erase and who’s singles / albums discographies do you prefer?

Discuss! Also pls post any links to tracks you love by any what aren’t singles and any recommendations etc.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 13th October 2020, 12:11 AM
Post #2
Group icon
Jord

My preferences would be

Celine on vocals, albums discography and overall.

Whitney for singles discography.

Mariah would be my least favourite. Although I do love her as well she’s just the one I revisit least out of the three.

The albums question was the most difficult one as I haven’t heard every studio album of any of their discographies but I based it of from what I’ve heard. I’ve only not heard Whitney’s final studio album. I’ve heard all of Celine’s English language albums bar far first two and all of Mariahs bar her last two. Off what I’ve heard Celine just about won that one.

+Quote this post
Chromaticdisco
post 13th October 2020, 12:19 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 113,552

Celine wins vocally. She also kept her voice the best too. She still sounds great now.

Whitney has the best albums and singles though and overall she’s the best of the three.

+Quote this post
No Sleeep
post 13th October 2020, 12:21 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 22,008

Mariah is my favourite and, subjectively, the best by far considering her music is self-written (not that I think it's that important, it's still impressive), and range-wise she wins hands down. I love light, high voices like hers so I'm drawn to her over the more powerful voices.

Whitney challenges her when it comes to singles but I think Mariah still comes out on top, Whitney's discography should be much bigger than it was.

Albums absolutely Mariah, she's the only one who really makes an album a body of work. Whitney's singles were very much the focal point of her albums

As much as I love divas and ballads I've never really been drawn to Celine, I like the odd song by her but her albums have never wowed me

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 13th October 2020, 12:29 AM
Post #5
Group icon
Jord

There’s a hidden voter somewhere? How do I edit this to show on the poll once I know what they voted for laugh.gif ?

Unless it’s in an artist forum I can ever edit polls I make laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 13th October 2020, 12:39 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030

1. Whitney (Celine, Mariah)
2. Whitney (Mariah, Celine)
3. Whitney (Mariah, Celine)
4. Mariah
5. Whitney (Mariah, Celine)

I love all three of them! Surprised I'm the only vote regarding vocals for Whitney so far though! ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 13th October 2020, 01:44 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

I like all three but celine is my fave although whitney has more great singles, celine has some very consistently great albums. I prefer Mariah's older material but not a big fan of her later material and she does have my fave ever Christmas song.

+Quote this post
...ready for it
post 13th October 2020, 02:30 AM
Post #8
Group icon
I'm not asleep, my mind is alive.
Pronouns: she/her
User: 1,454

I'm a fan of all three, that is tough.

+Quote this post
Bjork
post 13th October 2020, 05:24 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,665

all 3 are great
Whitney has the better songs and albums
and had a great voice, but she sadly also lost it towards the end

but I'd also value that Mariah cowrites her own songs, that puts her in a different higher level

+Quote this post
slowdown73
post 13th October 2020, 08:27 AM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,031

Celine is my favourite overall but Whitney has done some amazing stuff with her first two albums in particular. I loved Mariah at the start but don’t like her now at all. The urban stuff doesn’t suit her voice.

This post has been edited by slowdown73: 13th October 2020, 08:28 AM

+Quote this post
Jade
post 13th October 2020, 08:36 AM
Post #11
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

I haven't voted due to the albums question (I've only heard one album by any of the three - 'Whitney', actually a part of my vinyl collection!) but Mariah is my favourite vocalist of the three (makes sense as an Ariana fan tongue.gif) and I think Whitney has the best singles discography.

+Quote this post
Cremey
post 13th October 2020, 08:59 AM
Post #12
Group icon
on a bench in coney island
User: 4,089

I’m Mariah all the way 😅
My favourite vocalist of the three and I prefer her albums and singles.
Celine is my least favourite overall ph34r.gif

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 13th October 2020, 09:47 AM
Post #13
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

Mariah for everything, bar least favourite which I very begrudgingly gave to Whitney! I love all three!

QUOTE(jlj @ Oct 13 2020, 01:29 AM) *
There’s a hidden voter somewhere? How do I edit this to show on the poll once I know what they voted for laugh.gif ?

Unless it’s in an artist forum I can ever edit polls I make laugh.gif

Somebody must have null voted i.e. they didn’t vote for anything!

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 13th October 2020, 10:13 AM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

Whitney has the best vocals but I prefer Mariahs music in general and her overall. Celine is miles behind both.

+Quote this post
Lukuzz
post 13th October 2020, 12:05 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Paradise With Ice Cream Skies♥
User: 1,209

So tough cause all 3 are genuinely 3 of my faves and it could go either way with some categories but id say

Whitney - overall strongest voice for me but the others are very close
Mariah - listened to her discography recently and she has alot of strong album tracks
Céline - love most of Célines singles
Whitney - I adore Whitney but unfortunately she's has the least material obviously so that's kind of why she was least fave for me
Céline - Céline was my first love out of the 3, although id now put Mariah as a very close 2nd

+Quote this post
Dexton
post 13th October 2020, 12:40 PM
Post #16
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045

QUOTE(Jay* @ Oct 13 2020, 05:47 PM) *
Mariah for everything, bar least favourite which I very begrudgingly gave to Whitney!

Literally I voted the complete opposite! AIWFCIY is the single only Mariah song I can listen to tbh, yes it's one of my favourite Christmas songs but still I am far from a fan of her. I can acknowledge that she used to be a great vocalist but I've never been keen on her material

Whitney however just has a flawless discography and a range not like many others dance.gif Celine is somewhere in the middle

+Quote this post
pippa
post 13th October 2020, 12:53 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031

Whitney.
Celine.
Whitney.
Mariah.
Celine.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 13th October 2020, 01:08 PM
Post #18
Group icon

QUOTE(Dexton @ Oct 13 2020, 01:40 PM) *
Literally I voted the complete opposite! AIWFCIY is the single only Mariah song I can listen to tbh, yes it's one of my favourite Christmas songs but still I am far from a fan of her. I can acknowledge that she used to be a great vocalist but I've never been keen on her material

drama.gif She’s still a great vocalist now!

Have you heard much of her discography? It’s so diverse, I can’t imagine that there wouldn’t be something to appreciate outside of just All I Want For Christmas Is You. I certainly can’t trust anyone who doesn’t think that Fantasy is a bop! pirate.gif

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 13th October 2020, 01:21 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Jord

I think the UK in general are a bit less familiar with Mariahs music than they are Celine and Whitney.

Like aside from All I Want For Christmas Is You she never had a real mega seller here and her two UK #1 singles are both covers too I don’t know why but her huge US success never translated to the UK. I think Celine and Whitney both had bigger peaks here in the UK.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 13th October 2020, 02:53 PM
Post #20
Group icon

While Mariah achieved phenomenal success in the US, she was still a very successful artist in the UK too! Music Box, Daydream and The Emancipation of Mimi were particularly big eras.

From 1992 to 1997, she scored 12 Top 10 hit singles in a row. At that point in time, only Kylie and Madonna had longer consecutive Top 10 streaks (in terms of female artists).

Celine was the 4th biggest selling album artist of the 90s (2nd in terms of females, behind Madonna), while Mariah was 21st (3rd highest solo female). (Can’t really compare Whitney to them in the 90s, she only released two studio albums).

In terms of legacy, Whitney & Celine do manage better streaming than Mariah here, although Mariah’s still gets respectable numbers! Recently she’s had a few new singles certifications, including Fantasy and We Belong Together going platinum this year.

Some random info if anyone is interested: Mariah’s Greatest Hits had sold 809,000 as of 9th November 2018. It’s now on 842,883 (9th October 2020). #1’s had sold 768,000 by 9th Nov ‘18. #1 to Infinity passed 60,000 sales on 15th September 2017, and the most recent figure we have for it is 89,589 on 10th July 2020. Combining these compilations: Over 1,700,000 sales!

Without You was the 6th best selling single of 1994, definitely a huge hit and career defining (in terms of the UK). I don’t think that it being a cover matters too much, remember that Whitney’s biggest selling hit is also a cover.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 03:51 PM