BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> All Saints & Solo Singles Rate - RESULTS, FULL RESULTS ON PAGE #6
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Nina West
post 23rd May 2020, 08:32 PM
Post #101
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

#3 will be coming up in my next post, but for now lets celebrate with this being the 100th wave.gif thumbup.gif & take us into page 6
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 23rd May 2020, 11:38 PM
Post #102
Group icon

Each moment is new, Freeze the moment

#3. All Saints - Black Coffee | 9.357

Highest Scores: 11: (Chapman, :'), Spiceboy, blacksquare, Tawdry Hepburn), 10: (SamJudd, dandy, Davidson, Jade, ElectroBoy, Jesty Cough, WinterFreeze, George/keh, Beef Curtains, Monzo, Babyboy, Jay), Lowest Scores: 5.5/5: (Scene, Jonjo), 7: (Nick F1, Feel The Fever)

At the #3 spot is the brilliant All Saints track "Black Coffee", released in October 2000 as the 2nd single from their 2nd studio album "Saints & Sinners". This track was originally intended for another artist Kirsty Bertarelli, under its original title "I Wouldn't Wanna Be", as its lyrics stem from her personal life, her relationship with Swiss entrepreneur Ernesto Bertarelli however after its demo was shipped around various record labels, before landing on London Records doorstep, where it received a positive reception, but it was decided by a label exec was unimpressed with her potential & instead passed it onto All Saints instead. The recording sessions for this were quite frustrating as Natalie Appleton wanted herself & sister Nicole to sing the lead vocals for a change because it wasn't written by Shaznay, but she wanted it herself due to Melanie singing lead vocals on their last single & although management would eventually let Natalie cut a lead vocal, she was nervous & felt they didn't support her, which would cause even more in-fighting within the group before things would erupt the following year.

Upon release the song garnered critical acclaim & became a commercial success by becoming their 5th & final UK #1 with first week sales of over 60,000 copies, making them the only girl-group after the Spice Girls to achieve 5 UK #1's. It would go onto sell over 230,000 copies & earn a Silver disc. To date this ranks as their 4th biggest selling single. This would also hold the distinction of being the only All Saints #1 hit not written by Shaznay. The track would also became a success internationally with top 10 peaks in Scotland, Ireland, Italy, New Zealand & Sweden, as well as top 20 peaks in Finland, Norway & Australia.

Another all-time classic by All Saints with again some beautiful hypnotic production by William Orbit with its hazy & mellow verses with spikes of glitchy electronics throughout that gives this a haunting yet very sophisticated sound with some lush arrangements that yet has a slight playful side with its varieties of crunching drums, razor sharp synths & some wonderful bubbling ambient flows, all of which creates an almost perfect pop song. This not only stands as one of their firm best, but definitely one of their most interesting numbers, despite the groups tension being at boiling point & the cracks were definitely beginning to show, just look at the music video, they physically couldn't stand each other (literally). However on the whole this is still an amazing track, a true classic.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 23rd May 2020, 11:42 PM
Post #103
Group icon

"Never Ever" VS "Pure Shores"

You probably know how this is gonna turn out, but stay tuned for my commentaries on the final 2 in due course...

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 24th May 2020, 12:57 AM
Post #104
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

'Black Coffee' for me is their best song, but I know the top 2 are both heavyweights and I can't deny either of them.

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post 24th May 2020, 01:18 AM
Post #105
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471

QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ May 24 2020, 01:57 AM) *
'Black Coffee' for me is their best song, but I know the top 2 are both heavyweights and I can't deny either of them.

My favourite also.

That production is timeless — a perfect song.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 24th May 2020, 05:07 PM
Post #106
Group icon

While we wait for the conclusion here's the results from the 2015 rate

01. All Saints - Pure Shores - 10.105
02. All Saints - Never Ever - 9.447
03. All Saints - Black Coffee - 9.342
04. All Saints - Rock Steady - 8.526
05. All Saints - Under The Bridge - 7.868
06. All Saints - I Know Where It's At - 7.710
07. Shaznay Lewis - Never Felt Like This Before - 7.5
08. All Saints - War of Nerves - 6.973
09. All Saints - Bootie Call - 6.973
10. Appleton - Don't Worry - 6.941
11. All Saints - Lady Marmalade - 6.763
12. Melanie Blatt (ft Artful Dodger) - TwentyFourSeven - 6.676
13. Appleton - Fantasy - 6.666
14. All Saints - All Hooked Up - 6.447
15. All Saints - Chick Fit - 5.722
16. Appleton - Everything Eventually - 5.441
17. Shaznay Lewis - You - 5.343
18. Shaznay Lewis (ft Wideboys) - Daddy-O
19. Melanie Blatt - Do Me Wrong - 4.625
20. Melanie Blatt - See Me - 3.346

+Quote this post
k👠th
post 26th May 2020, 10:29 PM
Post #107
Group icon
baddest of them all
User: 6,764

So pleased One Strike managed top five in this! After All not even being top 10 is a really tragic result still. They both are essentially distant cousins of Pure Shores and Black Coffee wub.gif

Their William Orbit productions are all so good. Listening to them all in succession is such an experience

Pure Shores
Testament in Motion
Black Coffee
Surrender
Dreams
After All

One Strike even fits that style despite not being produced by Orbit.

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 27th May 2020, 04:35 AM
Post #108
Group icon
---
User: 17,418

I gave ‘All Hooked Up’ a 9? Wow I must’ve hit it confused with another song. It’s a solid 5 at best/ oh well. I shall be more careful next time.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 27th May 2020, 09:43 PM
Post #109
Group icon

When you gonna take me out of this black hole?

#2. All Saints - Never Ever | 9.535

Highest Scores: 11: (vibe, WinterFreeze, JosephStyles), 10: (Scene, SamJudd, Feel The Fever, Chapman, Spiceboy, Davidson, ElectroBoy, Jesty Cough, George,keh, Beef Curtains, Babyboy, Hauspital, Shoat, Sarah, Jay), Lowest Scores: 7/7.5: (Monzo, Jonjo)

In the runner up spot is All Saints with the ever iconic "Never Ever" (which means the #1 is.....to be revealed in the next post). Released in November 1997 as the 2nd single from their debut album "All Saints" & to say that this was a massive success was an understatement, while their first hit was just the warm up, this one's the main course & really put them on the map & setting them firmly in the big leagues. Lyrically, the song talks about girls' feelings about their first expressions after a sudden break-up, where the girls' query what they did wrong in the relationship. Long-term group writer Shaznay wrote this song along with other co-writers after splitting up with a boyfriend & soon after the group were signed to London Records the rest of the group recorded this track without her & even in its demo form this made the head of the label pay attention to the music & soon they all recorded vocals for the track & the rest is history. However there was some controversy in the song's writing & producing as co-writer Robert Jazayeri filed a lawsuit against them as they were granted 40% of the publishing rights, which was settled amicably by the parties.

Upon release, In the UK the song debuted at #3 in its first week before rising to #1 for a sole week & would go onto spend 15 weeks in the top 10 & to this day remains their biggest selling single with sales of 1.4 Million, earning a 2x Platinum disc, making this the biggest selling hit of their careers. Of note this is also the 3rd biggest selling girl-group single behind the Spice Girls with "Wannabe" & "Shout Out To My Ex" by Little Mix. Elsewhere it also topped the charts in Australia, New Zealand & Scotland, as well as top 5 peaks in Ireland, Denmark, Hungary, Sweden, Belgium, France, Iceland, The Netherlands, Switzerland, Canada, & the USA becoming their first & only top 10 hit there. This song would remain their biggest International hit & would win 2 Brit Awards for Best British Single & Best Video.

I clearly remember this when this came out & hearing it back then & thought WOW:a song that stops everything around it, breaking through the playlist and announcing itself as a hit. Well not just a hit but an instant classic, something that you'll never forget with the opening monologue that's so stark & startling before heading into some sombre verses & beautiful soulful melodies that shifts between styles as the song progresses before finally shattering on its final seconds, making this a very clever & natural track that fully deserved all the success & honours it had. This not only positioned them as a more sophisticated option to their rivals, but solidify their place in British pop history.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 27th May 2020, 10:32 PM
Post #110
Group icon

Take me somewhere I can breathe

#1. All Saints - Pure Shores | 10.375

Highest Scores: 11: (Scene, SamJudd, Feel The Fever, gavindeejay, Davidson, Jade, ElectroBoy, Jesty Cough, Beef Curtains, Monzo, Babyboy, Hauspital, Shoat, Sarah, Jay), 10: (dandy, Chapman, :'), Spiceboy, blacksquare, Billy, WinterFreeze, George,keh, JospehStyles), Lowest Scores: 8.5: (Jonjo)

Yep you all guessed it our #1 winning song in this rate is none other than the excellent "Pure Shores" by All Saints, which won by a clear mile (just look at its amazing average) & slew of high scores 14 of the 27 users gave this an 11, & didn't receive any low scores at all (8.5 is still pretty high). I would just like to thank everybody whose taken part in this rate that have had some surprises along the way, but we all knew who the winner would be.

Released in February 2000 as the lead single from their 2nd studio album "Saints & Sinners", as well as being written for the movie "The Beach", by band member Shaznay Lewis and of course production by William Orbit. While the other members of the group went onto star in the flop 1999 movie "Honest" (I don't remember it either), Shaznay wisely opted not to star in it & instead went to the USA to work with William Orbit to work on tracks for their then upcoming album; originally titled "Take The Mic" & during recording she was approached to write a song for the movie. She was taken to see a 40-second scene in the film where the song was going to go, because they had not finished the whole film yet.

Upon release the track received critical acclaim & became a huge commercial success by becoming their 4th UK #1 for 2 weeks & remained on the charts for 16 weeks & went onto to sell over 815,000 copies, making this their 2nd biggest selling single. Elsewhere it was also successful by topping the charts in Belgium, Ireland, Italy, Romania & Scotland, as well as top 5 peaks in Hungary, New Zealand, Australia, Finland & Norway. The song did eventually get released in the USA several months later, but failed to chart, despite being massive everywhere else this have been suggested that due to the benchmark the song had created for 2000 and the following years, it underperformed commercially.

Being that this was their comeback release after more than a year away & thankfully they didn't disappoint as this is simply flawless with its ambient atmosphere that captures a perfect chilled out vibe with the vocals & harmonies pitched beautifully against Orbit's production. This is a wonderfully mellow number that has form, mood and content all pushing in one thematic direction, creating that ideal paradise feel, very soothing with the lapping of rising synths which not only creates a thrilling record, but a prime example of the groups evolving maturity done perfectly & really sets the hype for the upcoming era. A well & truly worthy winner on this rate.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 27th May 2020, 10:45 PM
Post #111
Group icon

The Results In Full:

01. All Saints - Pure Shores - 10.375
02. All Saints - Never Ever - 9.535
03. All Saints - Black Coffee - 9.357
04. All Saints - One Strike - 8.553
05. All Saints - Rock Steady - 8.196
06. All Saints - I Know Where It's At - 8.178
07. All Saints - One Woman Man - 7.82
08. All Saints - Love Lasts Forever - 7.592

09. Shaznay Lewis - Never Felt Like This Before - 7.388
10. All Saints - Under The Bridge - 7.267