BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Buzzjack Movie Awards 2017: Nominations Presentation, Finished.
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
UltraCruelSummer
post 10th February 2018, 05:56 PM
Post #1
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

Hello and welcome to the Buzzjack Movies Awards 2017 nominations presentation which will kick off later today! 17 of you (a new record, thx guys *.*) have loved on some of 2017's best films so be prepared for shocks, surprises and a lot of love, fun and some surprising films dominating when we go through 34 (iirc) positive awards. This will hopefully be entertaining and hopefully fun, if people comment and join in, during the nomination reveal.

This will be happening throughout this evening, I'm hosting by myself so if I don't finish everything tonight as I run out of time, then it'll be done tomorrow morning/afternoon. Hopefully some of y'all will be around to join in, hype and comment!

Hope you enjoy and in the meantime predict what you think will get nominated!

Also a quick little fact for you all. The record amount of nominations was Hairspray with 11 nominations in any Buzzjack Oscars. This has been broken FOUR times this year with another film equalling Hairspray! ohmy.gif what films have done this?!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 10th February 2018, 06:03 PM
Post #2
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

Schedule:
Biggest Box Office Failure
Biggest Box Office Surprise
Most Attractive Actor
Most Attractive Actress
Best Picture Nominee: #1

Best Look & Style (encompassing costume, make-up, hairstyling, production design, cinematography)
Best Song
Best Soundtrack
Best Score
Best Picture Nominee: #2

Best Adaptation of a Source Material
Best Action Film
Best Sci-Fi Film
Best Visual Effects
Best Picture Nominee #3

Best Horror Film
Best Comedy Film
Best Drama Film
Best Picture Nominee #4

Best Poster for a movie released in 2017
Best Performance of the Entire Year
Best Picture Nominee #5

Best Voice Performance - Female
Best Voice Performance - Male
Best Animated
Best Picture Nominee #6

Best Hero
Best Character
Best Scene In A Movie
Best Movie Couple
Most Underrated Movie
Best Picture Nominee #7

Best Script
Best Director
Best Ensemble
Best Picture Nominee #8

Best Female Supporting Performance
Best Picture Nominee #9
Best Male Supporting Performance
Best Picture Nominee #10
Best Male Lead Performance
Best Newcomer
Best Female Lead Performance
Best Picture Nominee #11
Best Picture Nominee #12

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 10th February 2018, 06:19 PM
Post #3
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

BIGGEST BOX OFFICE DISASTER

- Ghost In The Shell -
- Justice League -
- Monster Trucks -
- mother! -
- Star Wars 8 -

Ngl this is a bit wtf category, there were definitely some bigger box office disasters. mother! was never going to make more money than it did considering the kind of film it was + the audience reaction and I'd love to make over a billion and be one of the highest grossing films ever and be a box office disaster at times, yeah Star Wars under-performed but it definitely wasn't a disaster. However the other 3 all deserve their places here, Ghost In The Shell couldn't overcome whitewashing problems and bombed, Justice League was quite something and completely missed low expectations & is one of the biggest disasters in years and Monster Trucks proved that somehow giving an $115m budget to a film that was formed from an idea by a four year-old maybe wasn't the best idea kink.gif I can also reveal this was the only category this year to not have at least 5 films receiving over 1 nomination (which was why there were some random options in the poll!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 10th February 2018, 06:29 PM
Post #4
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

BIGGEST BOX OFFICE SURPRISE

- Get Out -
- It -
- Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle -
- Split -
- The Greatest Showman -

Mostly a good category, though I would have definitely had surprise smash-hit Wonder Woman here over Split. Like Split was a bit of a surprise success but I didn't really think there was anything that remarkable about it to be in the top 5 biggest successes in a year which spawned many shock hits (I would have had the likes of Baby Driver & BATB over it as well). Ayway the other four are four of the biggest surprises in this decade, let alone this year. Get Out was a low budget horror that came out of nowhere to critical acclaim & a box office smash, It broke records everywhere and was one of the biggest grossing horrors of all time, Jumanji has at minimum doubled expectations & could hit a billion worldwide and The Greatest Showman was a sure-fire flop after its first couple of days on release but incredible word of mouth has also led to that smashing records worldwide and is set to outgross most recent musicals.

Most Attractive Actor up next! Predictions?

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 10th February 2018, 06:40 PM
Post #5
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

I disagree with Split not being a surprise smash. It came from nowhere iirc. ohmy.gif I definitely think it was a bigger surprise hit than Beauty & the Beast & Wonder Woman (I feel like those films were always gonna be huge, maybe not quite as huge as they were, but I don't think there were any expectations for Split - at least not from me).

I had no idea that Monster Trucks cost that much! Oh boy!!! laugh.gif Agreed r.e. mother! though and I nominated Star Wars 8, but purely the Chinese Box Office. That really surprised me. sad.gif

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 10th February 2018, 06:46 PM
Post #6
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

MOST ATTRACTIVE ACTOR

- Ansel Elgort -
- Armie Hammer -
- Chris Hemsworth -
- Hugh Jackman -
- Ryan Gosling -
- Timothee Chalamet -
- Zac Efron -

Five first time nominees here *.* Despite two more nominations in this category than 2016, Gosling is the only one to retain his nomination and Zac was nominated in 2015. This is also the first year Chris Evans isn't nominated. This is a really strong category this year, Zac has been looking great again the last half of 2017, Ansel is fab and I'm glad he finally made it in here & Ryan still slaying *.* Also nominated is Hugh Jackman getting in after Buzzjack's obsession with The Greatest Showman, Hammer & Chalamet after Buzzjack's obsession with Call Me By Your Name & Grant still gets a fave in as despite Sebby Stan/Chris Evans losing their noms from last year, Chris Hemsworth gets in. The only one I wouldn't have here would be Chalamet, I don't find him that attractive oops.

Most Attractive Actress up next! Predictions?

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 10th February 2018, 06:54 PM
Post #7
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

MOST ATTRACTIVE ACTRESS

- Emma Stone -
- Gal Gadot -
- Jennifer Lawrence -
- Jessica Chastain -
- Margot Robbie -

Unlike the most attractive actor category, this is a very familiar line-up. Jennifer & Margot have been nominated every year (and iirc both have won) and Emma and Jennifer have both only missed one year not being nominated in this category. The only new nominee here is Gal Gadot who broke out properly in 2017. This is such a stunning category <3

The first best picture nominee is coming up, who is it?!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 10th February 2018, 07:06 PM
Post #8
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

BEST PICTURE: NOMINEE #1

Let's kick off with a buzzjack usual, a superhero film in best pic. Our first Best Picture nominee is Thor: Ragnarok which is the 780th film in the never-ending Marvel franchise. I never got round to seeing this oops so I don't really have much to say about it! Anyway hopefully this won't repeat what the 2nd Thor film did, that scored a best pic nomination and failed to make one other category laugh.gif

We will be doing the same thing as last year with two people submitting write-ups for each of the best picture nominations which will be posted during the final results presentation! You can do as many as you want as long as two people haven't taken them! You can either post if you want to write up a film now or if there's still spaces when the voting thread goes up, you can claim the space then!

Thor: Ragnarok Write-Ups: Jonjo and ?

Best Picture Nominees 2017:
1) Thor: Ragnarok

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 10th February 2018, 07:15 PM
Post #9
Group icon

I'll gladly do a write up for Thor: Ragnarok! biggrin.gif

---

Surprised Chris Pratt didn't get a nom for attractive male! Also surprised, after the year they've had, Dacre and Tom Holland aren't up either ohmy.gif

Naomi Scott & Zendaya criminally missing out on Attractive Actress sad.gif

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 10th February 2018, 07:21 PM
Post #10
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

The next set of categories! Predict away *.*

(Btw the best picture nominee per each category relates to the awards that come before it!)

Best Look & Style (encompassing costume, make-up, hairstyling, production design, cinematography)
Best Song
Best Soundtrack
Best Score
Best Picture Nominee: #2

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 10th February 2018, 07:23 PM
Post #11
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Feb 10 2018, 07:15 PM) *
I'll gladly do a write up for Thor: Ragnarok! biggrin.gif

---

Surprised Chris Pratt didn't get a nom for attractive male! Also surprised, after the year they've had, Dacre and Tom Holland aren't up either ohmy.gif

Naomi Scott & Zendaya criminally missing out on Attractive Actress sad.gif

Dacre & Tom were next in line for a nomination after the seven that got nominated!

Chris Pratt only got 1 nomination which I'm rly shocked at ohmy.gif (though I can't say I'm not glad he was snubbed kink.gif)

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 10th February 2018, 07:31 PM
Post #12
Group icon

Well Greatest Showman is surely this rounds then? laugh.gif

Wouldn't surprise me if Greatest Showman got all the Song places tbh. R.I.P. La La Land </3

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 10th February 2018, 07:56 PM
Post #13
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

BEST LOOK & STYLE (encompassing costume, make-up, hairstyling, production design, cinematography)

- Beauty & The Beast -
- Blade Runner 2049 -
- Call Me By Your Name -
- La La Land -
- The Florida Project -
- The Greatest Showman -

One of the four new categories of 2017 gets off to a fab start with the three best films of 2017 all scoring nominations cheer.gif The Florida Project is gorgeous & the cinematography slays, The Greatest Showman slays all of these aspects and La La Land slays all of these even more and is the best here x Also nominated is Beauty & The Beast which also excels in many of these areas such as costume and Blade Runner/CMBYN, neither which I have seen.

Next up is song, what's made it?!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 10th February 2018, 08:04 PM
Post #14
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

Despite there being a record number of 7 slots in this category, they all come from the same 3 movies kink.gif The popularity of CMBYN spread well over here, I was expecting MOL to make it but I'm shocked it scored two noms. Also scoring two nominations is musical masterpiece La La Land, one for Oscar winner City of Stars and the other nom being a surprise one for A Lovely Night, I love it but I'd have nearly the whole soundtrack over it in its place. However The Greatest Showman takes the most nominations with the three tracks getting nominated also being the 3 most successful & the ones that are in the official UK top 40 (and are also my three favourites from the film as well!). This is such a strong line-up, though City Of Stars & This Is Me>>>>>>.

Loads of songs just missed out, including Taylor for another nomination in this category with I Don't Wanna Live Forever, more La La Land (however Audition was nowhere near making it, I was the only person to vote for it </3) & The Greatest Showman songs and Sia's bop from Lion.

Next up is soundtrack, what's made it?!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 10th February 2018, 08:06 PM
Post #15
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

I'm eating now so the rest will be done later, hopefully more people will be around!!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 10th February 2018, 08:15 PM
Post #16
Group icon

Not quite the wipeout I expected. But the obvious 3 making it for TGS. Woulda liked 'From Now On' to have snuck in though sad.gif Fantastic for 'What A Lovely Night' and MOL was expected, but Vision of Gideon not so much. In all honesty I can't remember the songs. They're not the things I took away from the movie. But the movie is fantastic. Can't wait to watch it again.

Hopefully Guardians can get a soundtrack slot along with La La Land and The Greatest Showman. I suspect Call Me By Your Name will too and probably Beauty & The Beazt and Baby Driver.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 10th February 2018, 09:33 PM
Post #17
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

BEST SOUNDTRACK

- Baby Driver -
- Beauty & The Beast -
- Call Me By Your Name -
- La La Land -
- Pitch Perfect 3 -
- The Greatest Showman -

Jonjo is 5/6 for predictions as the Pitch Perfect prequel gets in and Guardians 2 surprisingly misses. These six nominations were all runaway noms, Atomic Blonde/Guardians 2/Sing were the only other films to score a nomination here and all 3 of them were at least two nominations behind these six. Call Me By Your Name continues to pick up nominations, musicals rule as Disney's B&TB adaptation and both Pasek and Paul related-films (La La Land & The Greatest Showman) make it in and despite the music not being as good as the previous films, Pitch Perfect 3 is still worthy of a spot here. And yasss at Baby Driver making it *.*

Next up is score, what's made it?!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 10th February 2018, 09:46 PM
Post #18
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

BEST SCORE

- Blade Runner 2049 -
- Call Me By Your Name -
- Dunkirk -
- Jackie -
- La La Land -
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi -

4 ACTUAL (jameela.jpg) Oscar nominees here and an Oscar winning score *.* CMBYN and La La Land continue to slay, the latter ofc won the Oscar for Justin Hurwitz and includes masterpieces such as Epilogue. This is a really strong selection, the score of Jackie is easily one of the film's strongest features and the same goes for Dunkirk. Star Wars was another classic score from that franchise & I've not heard Blade Runner but I've heard good things about the score!

Next up is our 2nd BP nomination, what film has done it?!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 10th February 2018, 10:21 PM
Post #19
Group icon

Oh man. Really wasn't taken with the PP soundtrack this time around and I think it affected my enjoyment of the film slightly. sad.gif

The Guardians 2 soundtrack, although nowhere near the level of the first, it was still amaze. Really gutted about that one.

Pretty much what I expected for Score though.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 10th February 2018, 10:24 PM
Post #20
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.

BEST PICTURE: NOMINEE #2

Talent wins. Our second Best Picture nominee is a real life Oscars Best Picture Winner for 30 seconds and a modern masterpiece, ofc it's La La Land which I've seen about 780 times. I'm so so glad this has made it in, I've gushed about this enough all over the site but everything about this film is perfect <3

We will be doing the same thing as last year with two people submitting write-ups for each of the best picture nominations which will be posted during the final results presentation! You can do as many as you want as long as two people haven't taken them! You can either post if you want to write up a film now or if there's still spaces when the voting thread goes up, you can claim the space then!

La La Land Write-Ups: Sam and ?

Best Picture Nominees 2017:
1) Thor: Ragnarok
2) La La Land

+Quote this post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 10:52 PM