BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How many laptops have you had?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
# of laptops you've owned
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 51
Guests cannot vote 
Brer
post Oct 4 2017, 07:16 PM
Post #21
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 8,300

QUOTE(jessie j @ Oct 4 2017, 06:47 PM) *
oh, and @ people that use a desktop and don't have a laptop - is it not a pain in the arse to be sitting straight up whenever you want to watch browse or do something for a long period of time?? it's FAR more comfy to browse on my bed

I can never find a comfortable position to use my laptop while I'm on a bed lol ;o
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Riser
post Oct 5 2017, 02:12 AM
Post #22
The horrors persist, but so do I
Member No.: 19,534

I'm on my second laptop. My first one lasted 6.5 years (2009-2015) although it still works and I use it occasionally. I got my current one for Christmas 2015 and I hope it lasts 6+ years as well!

+Quote Post
troublepink
post Oct 5 2017, 07:57 AM
Post #23
Beautiful Trauma
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 590

I've had four. Had my current one (Macbook air) for three years now and its still running as good as new, one of the best things I've ever got heart.gif

+Quote Post
lotita
post Oct 5 2017, 08:28 AM
Post #24
feminist icon (she/her)
Group: Site Empress
Member No.: 21,777
   No Gallery Pics

I’m on my fifth rn. I had about 2 HP laptops in two months bc they were crap, I then had an asus or whatever for a while then before year 10 i got my first MacBook and I only replaced it this February. MacBook for life

+Quote Post
breezyspice
post Oct 5 2017, 11:21 PM
Post #25
BuzzJack Climber
Group: Members
Member No.: 39,572
   No Gallery Pics

I feel like I need to knock on wood because this thread is jinxing my hardware, attempting to give reason to buy new ones.

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Oct 6 2017, 06:26 PM
Post #26
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929
   No Gallery Pics

2, the one that Jacob killed was my first, I traded it in for one that wasn't even exactly what I ordered because Amazon messed it up and gave me one with a bigger screen but a slightly worse processor (I never bothered to get it properly sorted because as a first year uni student I couldn't be arsed). And yet that's the one I'm still using today, it's 5 years old now and is running fine now I've cleaned it out a bit. And its age is the only reason I've taken it to India because as I have also now built my own desktop (which is far superior in every aspect, especially for games), and I haven't really used this one much over the past year so if it does conk out or get lost/stolen it won't be the end of the world - hopefully if either happens that'll be more towards the end of my trip than the beginning though.

+Quote Post
Hide&Seek
post Oct 12 2017, 07:19 PM
Post #27
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 3,500
   No Gallery Pics

This is my first laptop. I think I have it about 8 yrs now.
It no longer lets me put songs from my ipod onto a blank disc anymore, or photos....so I think it's on it's way out.

+Quote Post
Brer
post Oct 16 2017, 12:07 AM
Post #28

Gah I am starting to worry this thread jinxed me... my 'a' key has been a little bit dodgy for a few days (like occasionally not responding to being pressed, but it'd always work again after pressing it slightly harder so I brushed that off as not really being a big deal) but just now for about a full minute it COMPLETELY stopped working, as did the 'q' and 'z' keys mellow.gif after a bit of panicked fiddling it's all working fine again now so I'm just praying this was a one off incident, if it persists I might find myself moving onto laptop #3 unexpectedly quickly oops.

+Quote Post
Iz 🌟
post Oct 16 2017, 03:33 AM
Post #29
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(28 Brays Later @ Oct 16 2017, 12:07 AM) *
Gah I am starting to worry this thread jinxed me... my 'a' key has been a little bit dodgy for a few days (like occasionally not responding to being pressed, but it'd always work again after pressing it slightly harder so I brushed that off as not really being a big deal) but just now for about a full minute it COMPLETELY stopped working, as did the 'q' and 'z' keys mellow.gif after a bit of panicked fiddling it's all working fine again now so I'm just praying this was a one off incident, if it persists I might find myself moving onto laptop #3 unexpectedly quickly oops.

This has happened to mine twice, and currently the main keyboard is dead, I use a USB one resting on top of it. Depending on the model though if it does happen again it's cheaper and easier to just replace the keyboard and obviously be careful with it from now on.

+Quote Post
Jacob-
post Oct 16 2017, 08:14 PM
Post #30
Jacob Alan~
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

I ordered that MacBook. Went for a MacBook Pro, got pretty much the best specs I could because I'm all too aware I can't upgrade it. Copy paste from the order details:

3.5GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650
16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
1TB PCIe-based SSD
Force Touch Trackpad
Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports
Touch Bar and Touch ID
PRO APP BUNDLE FOR EDUCATION
KEYBOARD/USER'S GUIDE-GBR
COUNTRY KIT-GBR
AppleCare Protection Plan

So yeah my bank account is dead (or rather it will be, I'm using Paypal credit with a 6 month plan so I can manage it easier and I can still have a life in the meantime) but yayayayayayyay I've got a Mac. It arrives next week. The Pro App bundle includes Logic as well. wub.gif

Also got a new screen for my desktop (a 2nd 27" identical to the one I've already got) so I can have matching dual monitors. Next thing to do is upgrade my graphics card on my desktop but that can wait another 6 months to a year or possibly more. Thank God I've got a part time job while at uni (and more hours in the holidays) is all I'm saying. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Brer
post Oct 16 2017, 09:41 PM
Post #31

QUOTE(Iz~ @ Oct 16 2017, 04:33 AM) *
This has happened to mine twice, and currently the main keyboard is dead, I use a USB one resting on top of it. Depending on the model though if it does happen again it's cheaper and easier to just replace the keyboard and obviously be careful with it from now on.

Ah I suppose I could look into getting a USB keyboard if this starts being more of an issue. Thankfully it's been totally fine since that post as of the time writing this though so I am still just hoping it's magically fixed forever kink.gif

+Quote Post
Brer
post Nov 14 2017, 07:44 PM
Post #32

Update ~~

It was not magically fixed forever and I have now had to get a USB keyboard indeed (actually my dad just had one lying around already so using that one) but I shall be getting a new laptop over the Xmas hols. Exciting xx

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post Nov 14 2017, 07:55 PM
Post #33
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

3. One I had at Uni then it got old & sluggish and could only operate when plugged in. Got 2 now, one I use for day-to-day stuff (like Buzz) and a back-up, more powerful one for storage & subsidiary tasks.

+Quote Post
Ninjabait
post Nov 16 2017, 06:26 PM
Post #34
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 22,088
   No Gallery Pics

I'm currently on my...fifth one, I think? It might be the sixth. I've honestly lost count. The last one I had got the hard-drive click of death, and the one before that literally started falling apart (and eventually just wouldn't start). I had another one while in college (don't remember what happened to that one), and one more before that I think. There might be one I'm forgetting. They all usually lasted about a year or two.

Hopefully the one I'm on now will last a bit longer.

This post has been edited by Ninjabait: Nov 16 2017, 06:26 PM

+Quote Post
Silas
post Nov 16 2017, 07:19 PM
Post #35
Queen of Soon
Member No.: 3,474

QUOTE(Jacobites @ Oct 16 2017, 08:14 PM) *
I ordered that MacBook. Went for a MacBook Pro, got pretty much the best specs I could because I'm all too aware I can't upgrade it. Copy paste from the order details:

3.5GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650
16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
1TB PCIe-based SSD
Force Touch Trackpad
Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports
Touch Bar and Touch ID
PRO APP BUNDLE FOR EDUCATION
KEYBOARD/USER'S GUIDE-GBR
COUNTRY KIT-GBR
AppleCare Protection Plan

So yeah my bank account is dead (or rather it will be, I'm using Paypal credit with a 6 month plan so I can manage it easier and I can still have a life in the meantime) but yayayayayayyay I've got a Mac. It arrives next week. The Pro App bundle includes Logic as well. wub.gif

Also got a new screen for my desktop (a 2nd 27" identical to the one I've already got) so I can have matching dual monitors. Next thing to do is upgrade my graphics card on my desktop but that can wait another 6 months to a year or possibly more. Thank God I've got a part time job while at uni (and more hours in the holidays) is all I'm saying. laugh.gif

Welcome to team MacBook!!!! They’re just so awesome to use if they were maybe half the price they are they’d just decimate the market for laptops

+Quote Post
mdh
post Nov 16 2017, 07:23 PM
Post #36
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

now I've been converted to team iPhone I'm fully considering buying a MacBook when I next get paid!! Apple's operating systems seem far superior and I never realised just how powerful GarageBand was as a software overall

+Quote Post
Silas
post Nov 16 2017, 08:20 PM
Post #37
Queen of Soon

If it was a pure decision between operating systems in a world where money was no object, or the hardware cost the same, then I wouldn't understand why anyone would volunteer to be subjected to Windows when they could have macOS X instead. Its so much quicker and smoother and user friendly.

+Quote Post
Jacob-
post Nov 16 2017, 10:32 PM
Post #38
Jacob Alan~
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(5 Silas Frøkner @ Nov 16 2017, 07:19 PM) *
Welcome to team MacBook!!!! They’re just so awesome to use if they were maybe half the price they are they’d just decimate the market for laptops
Thank you! I love it, absolutely made the right decision. laugh.gif

I still use my desktop a lot but I use my Mac at uni all the time, also when I travel or just generally around the house rather than just my room. It's so pretty, has a really nice sound system (I couldn't believe they were laptop speakers when I first used them), runs smoothly, has fantastic resolution and I love the touchbar/ touch ID. Plus it's got Logic X which I've been wanting for ages- I still use Ableton a lot tbh because that's great too but it's nice to have the choice, there are things you can get in one you can't get in the other. I also have access to Final Cut Pro and the like if I ever decided to get into video editing (maybe one day who knows x). No regrets. In terms of laptops, yeah this is the best I've ever come across- looks like it's set to last for years. Windows should only be for powerful desktops, it's painful how slowly it runs on lower end laptops. x

High Sierra's going well for me so far as well, recently upgraded from Sierra a no problems so far. Have you got it yet?

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Nov 16 2017, 10:39 PM
Post #39
Howdy, disco citizens
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

Excluding work - 3
Including work - 5

My first laptop was a Sony Vaio in 2008. Used it all the way until 2015 when the disk drive stopped working and it was just working too slow for me (plus it ran on Vista, which wasn't very good). Switched to a low-range Lenovo, but once again had hardware issues (ran off Windows 8, then 10), which made it run very slow, so last year I switched over to a Dell that runs Windows 7, which does most things I need. All my laptops have had a disk drive, although I have a feeling my next one won't.

I've also been issued 2 hi-range Lenovo laptops from work (would cost about £1,000 to buy brand new), both running Windows 7, neither have disk drives. They work quite well, but can't access Facebook or Outlook on them due to work restrictions.

+Quote Post
Silas
post Nov 16 2017, 10:55 PM
Post #40
Queen of Soon

QUOTE(Jacob Alan @ Nov 16 2017, 10:32 PM) *
Thank you! I love it, absolutely made the right decision. laugh.gif

I still use my desktop a lot but I use my Mac at uni all the time, also when I travel or just generally around the house rather than just my room. It's so pretty, has a really nice sound system (I couldn't believe they were laptop speakers when I first used them), runs smoothly, has fantastic resolution and I love the touchbar/ touch ID. Plus it's got Logic X which I've been wanting for ages- I still use Ableton a lot tbh because that's great too but it's nice to have the choice, there are things you can get in one you can't get in the other. I also have access to Final Cut Pro and the like if I ever decided to get into video editing (maybe one day who knows x). No regrets. In terms of laptops, yeah this is the best I've ever come across- looks like it's set to last for years. Windows should only be for powerful desktops, it's painful how slowly it runs on lower end laptops. x

High Sierra's going well for me so far as well, recently upgraded from Sierra a no problems so far. Have you got it yet?

Glad that you are enjoying it!! I think its got the best trackpad of any laptop I've come across. The multitouch gestures work really well and they're so configurable so you can customise them a bit to how you like to work.

Yeah I upgraded the week it came out. There's not much difference to Sierra so I'm looking forward to next years big update to see what that brings with it.

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Nov 16 2017, 10:39 PM) *
Excluding work - 3
Including work - 5

My first laptop was a Sony Vaio in 2008. Used it all the way until 2015 when the disk drive stopped working and it was just working too slow for me (plus it ran on Vista, which wasn't very good). Switched to a low-range Lenovo, but once again had hardware issues (ran off Windows 8, then 10), which made it run very slow, so last year I switched over to a Dell that runs Windows 7, which does most things I need. All my laptops have had a disk drive, although I have a feeling my next one won't.

I've also been issued 2 hi-range Lenovo laptops from work (would cost about £1,000 to buy brand new), both running Windows 7, neither have disk drives. They work quite well, but can't access Facebook or Outlook on them due to work restrictions.

The things they give us are really worth MacBook money? f***ing hell Lenovo are such a rip off. I wouldn't pay £30 for my work laptop it's a complete heap of shit and ancient too. Even IT was like "why the hell are they giving you these things" when we got them on day 1.

Bring on the touch screen yogas.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:42 AM