BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Which of these *could* rival Madonna's impact?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Which could be as big as Madonna?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 23
Guests cannot vote 
HausofKubrick
post Jun 13 2016, 06:46 PM
Post #1
Group icon
User: 13,007

HELLO~

So in purely hypothetical terms, which of the current crop of female stars could in 30 years still be doing their thing and rival Madonna's illustrious impact on pop music? Who could muster up enough sales to rival Madonna as the biggest female star around? I have purposely decided to omit the likes of Kylie and Janet and Britney and Cher and Celine and Mariah, because they're already UP THERE and have proved that they can last in the game for decades.

So out of the list above (and probably many others that I have forgot) which do you think stands the best chance? And which will flop into oblivion in the next year or two? ;o Comment, vote, discuss, debate and PLAY NICE.

If your answer is *none of the above* just commit to who you think will come closest tongue.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Jun 13 2016, 06:49 PM
Post #2
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
None of them WILL have as huge an impact as Madonna but the following would come closest I think:

Beyoncé - if she continues being innovative with her album release strategies, she'll be up there no doubt
Adele - obviously the biggest star on the planet at the current moment
Taylor Swift - five albums in and it feels like she's just getting started, she seems able to change up her sound when necessary yet still keep it firmly "Taylor" which is a key skill.

+Quote this post
Jade
post Jun 13 2016, 06:49 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
I think Adele would be the most likely candidate out of these options. Already such a huge star. Beyoncé as well maybe.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Jun 13 2016, 07:15 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
First of all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON4sOlxvtbU

Now that's out the way, let me think. Beyonce is definitely standing out for me from that list. I feel like she's already established/ing that level of respect by the music industry: like Madonna, it seems every female artist is inspired by her, whether that be her music or her attitude, and I think, even if the public status faded, that respect by other musicians will be evergreen. She also seems to have reached the Erotica stage of her career, if you will: Beyonce and Lemonade are two albums that are less focused on making pop bangers and aiming for commercial success, but are all about making an album with statement and visual and concept which in turn earns more critical praise and established one as an artist opposed to just another pop star. I think Beyonce definitely has the ability to remain on top of her game 10 years down the line and I reckon her previous two albums will be thought of just as, maybe even more than, they are now.

Rihanna too seems to have pushed the boundary a little of the conventions of a pop album release and I think Anti will still be looked back upon as one of her best albums even if it didn't quite set the charts alight as anticipated. It may seem she's losing her pace but I can't imagine many other artists managing to get a hit with a song like 'Work' - to me, that proves she still has the knack of making a hit no matter what it is (and that's not me saying it's a bad song or not, I'm saying it initially sounded like something that wouldn't be a hit with its almost "anti-hook").

Lady Gaga is at a make or break point right now I think. LG5 needs to be spectacular otherwise I feel this could be it for her (and I say that as a fan). Adele has that crossover appeal for all ages and she just has the "it" factor that makes me think she could do a Kate Bush and hide away from the limelight for years and still be a success upon returning. P!nk has had one of the most consistent careers and I think she'll be able to continue that, either despite or because of she's considered an underdog. Sia, it's hard to tell, I think she'll always have success as a song-writer but I'm not sure how long she'll be the "it" girl. I think she'll always make fantastic music though and receive critical success; maybe she'll be a bit of a Bjork for comparison.

+Quote this post
Regina
post Jun 13 2016, 07:23 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572
I really don't think Adele will ever be as impactful, she does nothing new or "out there" the way Madonna has. She sings dull ballads and hasn't changed her sound in any big way.

Realistically, Beyonce and maybe P!nk. They both has managed to change their styles while not alienating any fans (like Taylor) and they have yet to have major flops.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Jun 13 2016, 08:33 PM
Post #6
Group icon
While I don't think any will ever match up, the closest that might get there in sales terms is probably Adele but in terms of legacy and impact, i'd say Beyoncé. Liam has explained it quite well, but I also agree that she has a lot more life left in her. Adele could continue to amass mammoth sales for the rest of time but I feel she will decide to give it all up eventually and probably only have ~5 albums under her belt compared to Madonna's in double figures.

I would love Lady Gaga too and I think she *could* if she really brings a few killer eras out. All artists are doomed to flop at some point (Madonna has had a few) but it's about having consistency so here's hoping she's back on form soon~

+Quote this post
Atonement
post Jun 13 2016, 08:35 PM
Post #7
Group icon
I just had to see your face to feel alive
User: 10,676
Like Joseph I'd say Taylor Swift, Adele or Beyoncé. I agree with Joseph that it feels like Taylor is just getting started (as much as I want her to disappear) and Beyoncé just has superstar quality with her looks, voice and 2 latest critically acclaimed albums. Just when I started to think she was losing it ('4' was not the biggest success and it could've been downhill from there) she turned things around. Adele speaks for itself, really. But I hope she will retire in a few years biggrin.gif

And I love Rihanna, but I think she will ultimately be remembered as a big singles artist. I hope she has plenty of smashes and big singles left in her, but she doesn't really seem to care about the big hits for the moment.

A little point of critique as I don't think Britney is quite up there with the artists you mentioned. Yes she was huge at the time but her star has definitely faded and she feels very ''of her time'' and didn't last all that long. But maybe I feel this way because in The Netherlands her last top 10 hit was 'Do Something' (not counting the abysmal S&S).

+Quote this post
danG
post Jun 13 2016, 09:07 PM
Post #8
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
Definitely Beyoncé and Rihanna will be remembered as huge pop icons for years to come.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Jun 13 2016, 09:10 PM
Post #9
Group icon
I agree about Rihanna being a singles artist. She's still be remembered fondly but I don't think she's as ground-breaking or has much "impact" as the others. Not to discredit her, she's a phenomenal success but yeah not sure she's quite "musical landscape altering" popstar like some of the others. Although I don't know who else to compare her to from the 80s/90s. Were there any big singles artists from those decades? thinking.gif Taylor is another that we'll have to wait and see. She is very polarising so she could easily have a big backlash at some point in the future ohmy.gif

QUOTE(Atonement @ Jun 13 2016, 09:35 PM) *
A little point of critique as I don't think Britney is quite up there with the artists you mentioned. Yes she was huge at the time but her star has definitely faded and she feels very ''of her time'' and didn't last all that long. But maybe I feel this way because in The Netherlands her last top 10 hit was 'Do Something' (not counting the abysmal S&S).

A fair point. I'd argue that Britney does deserve a place in there purely because of HOW big she was and how much of a defining presence she has been for noughties music. It'd be almost like saying Spice Girls aren't worthy of their claims to success because they "only" lasted for 2.5 eras! I do get your point though, and it's definitely one for contention (and the others mentioned alongside her have been around for much longer) but I guess it's up for debate~

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Jun 13 2016, 09:45 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
QUOTE(Atonement @ Jun 13 2016, 09:35 PM) *

I disagree. Even though the last time she was properly successful chartwise was the Circus era (or Femme Fatale for the US), she seems to still have huge following and I don't think her recent chart performances are a reflection at all of how big her status still is. From what I've seen, the hype for new music of hers has been much bigger than that of Lady Gaga or Katy Perry and the like and I think she could make a triumphant comeback if the material is right (unlike 'Pretty Girls') and is given promotion (unlike 'Work Bitch'). You might be right that they way you feel is down to where you live and how successful she is there, but I definitely think she's secured and will retain her position with the pop greats.

+Quote this post
post Jun 13 2016, 09:46 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
I voted Other for Carly Rae Jepsen

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Jun 13 2016, 09:49 PM
Post #12
Group icon
QUOTE(Joe. @ Jun 13 2016, 10:46 PM) *
I voted Other for Carly Rae Jepsen

I liaised with others about who to include on the list and her glorious name did pop up. Alas this is down to quantity/star presence with the general public not so much quality and unfortunately Carly has very little of the former (despite BUCKET LOADS OF THE LATTER). Poor ha sob.gif

+Quote this post
pippa
post Jun 14 2016, 05:25 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031
Beyonce or Adele.

+Quote this post
Tyler
post Jun 14 2016, 08:57 PM
Post #14
Group icon
If people hate you, don’t hate them.
User: 67
QUOTE(liamk97 @ Jun 13 2016, 05:45 PM) *
I disagree. Even though the last time she was properly successful chartwise was the Circus era (or Femme Fatale for the US), she seems to still have huge following and I don't think her recent chart performances are a reflection at all of how big her status still is. From what I've seen, the hype for new music of hers has been much bigger than that of Lady Gaga or Katy Perry and the like and I think she could make a triumphant comeback if the material is right (unlike 'Pretty Girls') and is given promotion (unlike 'Work Bitch'). You might be right that they way you feel is down to where you live and how successful she is there, but I definitely think she's secured and will retain her position with the pop greats.

Exactly! Very well said.

Britney is also the pioneer of turning a teen pop mega sensation into a 18 year long career. You even have these new pop stars emulating faux breakdowns in order to cash in on the comeback hype. Britney is also the cover girl for being hounded by paparazzi and having her life turn into a social media/tabloid explosion. The world literally watched her blossom into a pop icon, watched her crash and burn, and have a hugely successful comeback after literally almost dying.

Her fan base will never shrink, because we are emotionally attached to her as a person, even more so than her as a popstar. I know all fan bases feel this way, but, unless your last name is Jackson, who else had a following before the age of 10 (Mickey Mouse Club was huge in the states). My earliest memories include Britney, we have basically grown up together. Also, who has ever released an album as exceptional as 'Blackout' during a downward spiral? It was even inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

And to extend on Liam's point, she was a lot more successful in her early career because she was literally promoting EVERYWHERE. But, from 2005 - 2016, she's only performed for promotional purposes 9 times. She literally drops an album, does a radio interview and releases a music video. Done. Which another aspect of being a Britney fan is watching her slowly build her confidence over the years after her breakdown. It's impossible not to deny her impact on pop culture is massive. And while she's still no where near Madonna or Cher, she's definitely looked at as pop royalty.

ALSO HIJACKING THIS TO SHOW THIS:

BRITNEY RIDDLED WITH ANXIETY AND PERFORMING 5 YEARS AGO.

TO THIS LAST MONTH:
"The undisputed princess of pop"

SHE IS COMING FOR BLOOD THIS ERA. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

This post has been edited by Tyler: Jun 14 2016, 09:31 PM

+Quote this post
vibe
post Jun 14 2016, 09:21 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
She was rubbish at the awards show !

She looked amazing but her dancing and miming was embarrassing , and I am a fan !

+Quote this post
Tyler
post Jun 14 2016, 09:28 PM
Post #16
Group icon
OK NEW POST JUST TO ACTUALLY ANSWER THE QUESTION.

Gaga.

Rihanna is huge and has an amazing discography, and if this were only based on sales, she would definitely win. She's also way more iconic than Beyoncé, IMO. Beyonce's biggest downfall is her lack of mystery and personality. Yeah, her music is successful, but, I'd only consider "Dangerously In Love", "Irreplaceable", "Single Ladies" and "Drunk In Love" (and that's pushing it, TBH) as iconic. And she's a PHENOMENAL performer, but, I can't name a single performance the general public even remembers or discusses, besides her super bowl performances. Beyonce' is all business and that's fine, but, there is no personal connection. Don't get me wrong the bitch is massive and well received... Madonna, Cher, Mariah, Britney, etc, are all known for their specific personalities and that's why they will always be remembered. Back to Rihanna, I would pick her as my second choice.

Adele, see Beyoncé. Except Adele does have much more of a personality. She's iconic, but, not even in the same realm as Madonna, IMO.

Katy Perry has some bops, but, I just find her extremely fake. And no I'm not on Taylor's side. But, she seems liked by many and loved by few. If radio stopped supporting her would she still be able to sell a platinum album? No.

I chose Gaga because with 4 album releases (I'm not including the jazz albums, no thanks) she has strongly paved out who she is as an artist. She's got her completely own style, which she manages to constantly change, but, it somehow meshes so well together. Just Dance, Poker Face, Paparazzi, Bad Romance, Telephone, Born This Way, Edge of Glory, VENUS, all iconic. She appeals to multiple genres and ages, which even Madonna couldn't say in the beginning of her career (probably not until 'Ray of Light', TBH.) She rivaled Madonna going into her third album, and that's saying something... because if you catch Madonna's attention it probably means people are calling you the "new Madonna". Gaga is the first since Britney to gather such a strong and loyal fanbase. And don't even get me started on AMERICAN HORROR STORY. Slay bitch.

But, in case TL:DR: Sales and a following from the general public (who will eat anything if you leave it on the table long enough) are not directly correlated to being iconic. It's the X Factor on and off stage and it can't be taught.

This post has been edited by Tyler: Jun 14 2016, 09:35 PM

+Quote this post
Tyler
post Jun 14 2016, 09:31 PM
Post #17
Group icon
QUOTE(vibe @ Jun 14 2016, 05:21 PM) *
She was rubbish at the awards show !

She looked amazing but her dancing and miming was embarrassing , and I am a fan !

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Jun 14 2016, 09:34 PM
Post #18
Group icon
QUOTE(Tyler @ Jun 14 2016, 10:28 PM) *
OK NEW POST JUST TO ACTUALLY ANSWER THE QUESTION.

Gaga.

Rihanna is huge and has an amazing discography, and if this were only based on sales, she would definitely win. She's also way more iconic than Beyoncé, IMO. Beyonce's biggest downfall is her lack of mystery and personality. Yeah, her music is successful, but, I'd only consider "Dangerously In Love", "Irreplaceable", "Single Ladies" and "Drunk In Love" (and that's pushing it, TBH) as iconic. And she's a PHENOMENAL performer, but, I can't name a single performance the general public even remembers or discusses, besides her super bowl performances. Beyonce' is all business and that's fine, but, there is no personal connection. Don't get me wrong the bitch is massive and well received... Madonna, Cher, Mariah, Britney, etc, are all known for their specific personalities and that's why they will always be remembered. Back to Rihanna, I would pick her as my second choice.

Adele, see Beyoncé. Except Adele does have much more of a personality. She's iconic, but, not even in the same realm as Madonna, IMO.

Katy Perry has some bops, but, I just find her extremely fake. And no I'm not on Taylor's side. But, she seems liked by many and loved by few. If radio stopped supporting her would she still be able to sell a platinum album? No.

I chose Gaga because with 4 album releases (I'm not including the jazz albums, no thanks) she has strongly paved out who she is as an artist. She's got her completely own style, which she manages to constantly change, but, it somehow meshes so well together. Just Dance, Poker Face, Paparazzi, Bad Romance, Telephone, Born This Way, Edge of Glory, VENUS, all iconic. She appeals to multiple genres and ages, which even Madonna couldn't say in the beginning of her career (probably not until 'Ray of Light', TBH.) She rivaled Madonna going into her third album, and that's saying something... because if you catch Madonna's attention it probably means people are calling you the "new Madonna". Gaga is the first since Britney to gather such a strong and loyal fanbase. And don't even get me started on AMERICAN HORROR STORY. Slay bitch.
But, in case TL:DR: Sales and a following from the general public (who will eat anything if you leave it on the table long enough) are not directly correlated. It's the X Factor on and off stage and it can't be taught.

Omg Tyler these posts. Even as one of the biggest Gaga fans on here I was scared to admit she *could* do it but that post has convinced me!! I mean she has a long, long, looong way to go but she's started off well so let's see. Also agree with your Britney back-up too, she's undeniably up there just below the mammoth set of Madge, Cher et al.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Jun 14 2016, 09:47 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Who voted Ellie Goulding? ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Tyler
post Jun 14 2016, 09:51 PM
Post #20
Group icon
I read "Pink" as "Pixie" as in, 7 of you know who.

BUT, let's just say I was mortified to even see her on the list without a ":,)", much less, an actual vote. Also lol at iggy being listed.

:,)

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:34 AM