BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Poland · Eurovision Song Contest 2017, Kasia Moś - Flashlight
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Ryan.
post 8th August 2016, 02:15 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 12,608

Poland

Kasia Moś - Flashlight

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post 8th August 2016, 02:15 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

It wasn't too long ago when Poland were in the middle of a break from the contest after various poor results, a lack of interest from the public and TVP also had to focus on broadcasting Euro 2012. Nevertheless, since their comeback in 2014, the upturn in fortunes for all things Eurovision in Poland has been dramatic in a positive way with three consecutive qualifications, relatively massive viewing figures and even a return to Junior Eurovision this year for the first time since 2004.

In light of this, as mentioned in the Armenia 2017 thread, rumours are abound that the Polish national selection re-introduced in 2016 will be extended to a Melodifestivalen-style format. It is being reported that heats or qualifying rounds will take place in various Polish cities, with the artists for the national final being selected via these heats. Despite initially being open to a return, Margaret has revealed she will not be participating in Eurovision for the forseeable future - I imagine she will only ever go if TVP revert to a internal selection.

More details at ESC Daily!

I'm intrigued by this. I imagine established artists will be initially put off going through such a mega selection, although getting through it would have its reward as reports suggest Michal Szpak's record sales have substantially increased since Eurovision. The make-up of the audience of their main channel, said to be largely older people, also worries me in terms of getting more "dated" winners - although I think Michal is a complete one-off in what he achieved both in the national selection and in Eurovision, he seemed to just have this something that appeal to a large yet usually ignored market.

That said, it is great to see Eurovision have such a turnaround in Poland - seemingly reminiscent of Hungary who, after a mixed 2000s and then a break, returned in 2011 with an internal selection and then to a national selection which is considered one of the best outside Scandinavia.

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post 21st January 2017, 08:30 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Rumours in Polish media are beginning to build regarding a shock return for Margaret in next month's competition, potentially another Arash collab which will be released next week...

+Quote this post
LexC
post 21st January 2017, 09:09 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
User: 5,342

G'wan Magz!

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post 22nd January 2017, 08:56 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Margaret's new single "Over You" has been confirmed for a release next Friday, the deadline for submissions in Poland is next Saturday...

WE CAN DREAM!

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 22nd January 2017, 09:02 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

She needs to avenge Cool Me Down, that losing to Michal is honestly one of the biggest NF injustices of all time. I know that CMD probably wouldn't have finished higher than Color Of Your Life but we shan't go too far into that absolute bonkers finish, it just would've been a moment to see it at Eurovision. If she'd lost to Edyta I wouldn't have found it *quite* so bad but that probably would have finished way lower and been just as bad in a way laugh.gif

+Quote this post
ScottyEm
post 22nd January 2017, 10:37 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 519

Given the strong Polish dyaspora, Poland are surely in contention of winning soon? Poland would've never qualified since 2014 had it been left to juries. They just need to win them over with something that is vaguely listenable.

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post 22nd January 2017, 10:48 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Poland are one of the most fascinating cases in the contest at the moment. Their break in 2011 and 2012 seems to have done the Polish broadcaster and the public a world of good, Eurovision is massive there suddenly whereas it seems that no-one was bothered pre-2011. They suddenly love it so much now they returned to Junior Eurovision after a 12 year break and over 2 million people watched it which was WAY above every other country that broadcast it numbers-wise and percent-wise.

The "true" 50/50 system that is now in place definitely aids Poland, although if we go back to the 2009-2012 50/50 system (jury and televote just give top 10s to combine) which is the closest comparison (rather than the juries and televoting doing full rankings and then combining) then they didn't make the final on any occasion. I think their diaspora only activate when they have an artist that means something to them (Lithuania's diaspora seem to be more consistent in their support hence they have managed to qualify nearly always). Donatan & Cleo was a massive hit in Poland and Michal does seem to have quite the fanbase, he is still an anomaly though as he just seemed to appeal to an audience no-one expected to be there. Monika seemed like less of a big deal and the diaspora reacted accordingly, and the jury didn't care by the time it got to the final either which was the aim of the song I imagine.

But yes, Margaret seems like the perfect person to activate the diaspora and win over the juries. The juries will go crazy over a decently-performed professionally produced stormer of a pop song and Margaret is a big enough star to activate the Polish diaspora. TVP need to continue to do a great job in making Eurovision such a phenomenon over there by keeping big artists interested.

In terms of upcoming debut winners, Hungary and Armenia have always been top of my list and I think Poland are joining them in the likelihood of doing so now.

+Quote this post
LexC
post 22nd January 2017, 11:56 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen

The only problem I have with Margaret is that she just couldn't really perform Cool Me Down properly (not just the singing which was so-so but the Britney 07 levels of choreo failure) wheras someone like Mikal performed a not as good song faultlessly. So unless she's been doing extreme performance drilling I'm not getting my hopes up.

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post 29th January 2017, 10:15 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

The submissions deadline for this got pushed back until February 10, delayed the national final for a week until February 18. The word is that "there are so many good submissions and more people wanting to submit that we [TVP] want to give them the opportunity" although it is rumoured this is just PR speak for TVP not quite getting what they expected.

+Quote this post
LexC
post 29th January 2017, 10:56 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen

Yeah I've been seeing it re-spun as "we didn't get the big name submissions we want and the standard of the others aren't up to scratch"

+Quote this post
arvenna
post 4th February 2017, 12:29 PM
Post #12
Group icon
New Entry
User: 25,359

Hi, every year I choosing one of countries to be my favourite one. This year I've drawed Poland. This is the most possible entry this year from them since he was quite popular in Italy with this song. He reminds me a little bit of last year Israel entry. The boy is kinda cute, I am wondering how old is he, I think about 19-20 maximum. What do you think about this entry

POLISH ENTRY IS MALINSKY - FALLING DOWN

This post has been edited by arvenna: 4th February 2017, 12:31 PM

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
post 4th February 2017, 01:00 PM
Post #13
Group icon
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
User: 11,955

QUOTE(arvenna @ Feb 4 2017, 12:29 PM) *
Hi, every year I choosing one of countries to be my favourite one. This year I've drawed Poland.

Hi, welcome to the forum! I've merged your topic with the existing Polish thread.

Here's the Malinsky song if anyone else wants a listen, it's not that bad and certainly a lot more modern than Poland's last 2 entries laugh.gif

+Quote this post
LexC
post 11th February 2017, 06:01 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen

This be the ten songs qualified for the Polish Final in a week's time

01 Martin Fitch „Fight for us”
02 Kasia Moś „Flashlight”
03 Carmell „Faces”
04 Agata Nizińska „Reason”
05 Rafał Brzozowski „Sky over Europe”
06 Isabell Otrębus-Larsson „Voiceless”
07 Małgorzata Uściłowska (Lanberry) „Only human”
08 Aneta Sablik „Ulalala”
09 Paulla „Chcę tam z tobą być”
10 Olaf Bressa „You look good”

+Quote this post
LexC
post 11th February 2017, 06:10 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen

A handful of them are out there but most of them haven't been released. Of what's been made available, Lanberry's Only Human sounds like something that should be popular here at least

+Quote this post
LexC
post 11th February 2017, 06:14 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen

Oh and the selection (allegedly) features a Kempe co-write MF reject (surprise surprise the one with 'Larsson' in their name).

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post 11th February 2017, 06:58 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(LexC @ Feb 11 2017, 06:10 PM) *
A handful of them are out there but most of them haven't been released. Of what's been made available, Lanberry's Only Human sounds like something that should be popular here at least

Haven't listened to this yet (I think I'll avoid getting attached to any Polish finalists pre-show) but this was apparently first published in August so oops!

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post 12th February 2017, 11:57 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

For fans of 'LoveWave', this certainly takes a bit of inspiration from it:

(and some people are saying the Lanberry song has been cleared by the EBU somehow so maybe they really don't care about the 1st September rule these days)

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post 13th February 2017, 12:03 AM
Post #19
Group icon
DROTTNING!
User: 480

That is FABULOUS

+Quote this post
Ryan.
post 13th February 2017, 12:06 AM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Oh and for those not aware, Martin Fitch is the new popstar name for...

I loved that song back in the day! heehee.gif Apparently his song this time round is "Shawn Mendes-esque"

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 08:07 PM