BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Severin's 2016 Horror Movie Countdown, The Countdown Begins
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
JackJones
post Mar 23 2017, 01:00 AM
Post #61
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 15
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Conderella @ Mar 22 2017, 06:08 AM) *
how the hell does a film being marketed as something else mean it's bad? this has nothing to do with your opinion on the actual movie.

someone's triggered~

You missed my whole point here. My point is that the movie was bad IMO and my opinion should be respected just like everyone else's (you liked the film, great, I didn't - don't tell me I am wrong and the movie is good), I never said the reason I didn't like it was because of the marketing. I just simply pointed out that I felt the marketing was also at least somewhat misleading and I don't think that it is fair for audiences no matter what film is concerned (and not just The Witch). It is bad marketing and now it just happened to be bad marketing IMO for a film that I thought was bad no matter what kinda marketing it had.

This post has been edited by JackJones: Mar 23 2017, 01:16 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Severin
post Mar 23 2017, 11:40 AM
Post #62
Mansonette
Member No.: 9,872
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(JackJones @ Mar 22 2017, 01:34 AM) *
Horror films do not need to scare you or have gore and so on and it is a bit cheap to imply that that that is the reason I disliked the film. But the movie was pretty much marketed as one and I do feel that the film was at least somewhat mislabeled and mismarketed and hence the way lower audience scores than the glowing critical scores that the film got during its' opening weekend. It really wasn't what the marketing was making it to be.

And your the final paragraph. Yes, it is a bad film...for me because it just is. I stated an opinion above and I think we all are entitled to one. I read your opinion and I respected it, of course, and stated mine next. Not in so many words but I thought you like people commenting on the films posted here. Even if the films are not liked by them. I thought the dialogue was weak (and NO, not because of the dialect and the dialogue wasn't even close for being my main reason for disliking the movie), the plot was silly and even somewhat non-existent and repetitive, the ending was quite obvious and so on. And my opinion, like yours, should be respected and to respond to my opinion that it is not a bad film is plain silly. For me it is a very poor film and that's that. I was just stating my own opinion and I never said it is/should be universally disliked and it is perfectly fine that many love it. But equally you should respect my opinion and not patronize (because that's how your response sounded like) by saying I have wrong opinion. No, I don't. It is my opinion and for that it is 100% right.

First of all I do respect your right to an opinion and I welcome comments on the films. That doesn't mean I will agree with you of course and I don't expect you to feel the same as I do about any of the films. You stated what you didn't like about it and I came back with a counter argument to the points you made. For me that was just part of the discussion.
How the film is marketed for me has no bearing on whether or not it is good and because you raised that issue I guessed (presumably incorrectly) that this type of film wasn't to your taste.
For me I can draw a distinction between what I like in a film and what I think is a good film. Personally I love Starship Troopers but I don't think it's a great film and conversely I hated every minute of The Love Witch but can see it as a great film.

Comments like this from your above reply - (you liked the film, great, I didn't - don't tell me I am wrong and the movie is good) - Well, I really cannot agree with that attitude. It's like saying your opinion is more important than everyone else's.

Now I've no wish to get into an argument so we'll have to agree to disagree perhaps, but I respectfully disagree with you that it is a bad film and to suggest I can't state my case in response to yours just because it goes against your opinion (which as you say is 100% right to you) is the sort of attitude that stifles all discussion. I'm happy to discuss with anyone whether I may or may not be right but there's no need to get defensive about it.

TL;DR We both thing each other are wrong but we'll have to agree to disagree. Comments are welcome whether you agree or not but I reserve the right to respond.

This post has been edited by Severin: Mar 23 2017, 11:44 AM

+Quote Post
Mack.
post Mar 24 2017, 10:11 PM
Post #63
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

The Witch saw that, a fantastic horror film from last year, worked well.

+Quote Post
Severin
post Mar 25 2017, 01:14 PM
Post #64
Mansonette
   No Gallery Pics

#1 Gokseong (The Wailing)

Directed by Na Hong-Jin

And so finally we come to the winner. As I said before despite excellent competition The Witch was leader for most of the year but then I caught this Korean film not long before Christmas and it blew me away and just HAD to be #1.

In a remote South Korean town a number of people have contracted a virus that causes violent, murderous rages before their own eventual death. Police officer Jong-hoo is given the case and a strange young woman informs him there may be a connection to a mysterious Japanese man who has recently begun living alone in the woods. Upon investigating the Japanese man's house they discover links to all the victims and Jong-hoo's daughter begins to develop symptoms of the virus.

This film is quite unlike anything else out there and is simply operating at a level above and beyond anything Hollywood has come out with in years. At nearly 3 hours long this isn't a quick fire blood and guts or jump scare movie but instead it presents a mystery and a likeable yet believable fool as the protagonist and forces us to spend enough time with him, his friends and his family that when the inevitable misfortune strikes his family we are right there with him. The film never gives too much away meaning that we only know as much as our hero so when he calls in a Shaman to rid his daughter of her 'possession' we understand why and when the film draws inexorably to its climax and Jong-hoo must make a tough decision whilst not knowing who to trust, we feel his anguish. The stakes are high and we desperately want him to make the right choice but neither he nor us knows what that is. The finale is cut together in such a brilliant way that we see the big reveals all at once as we come to understand exactly what has been going on.

It's one of those films that even despite its marathon length, I reached the ending and immediately felt the urge to watch it all again. It commands repeated viewings in a way that few films do. Most people will not understand everything on first viewing. I certainly didn't, and it's true that a knowledge of Korean folklore would be an advantage but part of what makes the film so compelling is its deliberate ambiguity and how i weaves its mystery with us and Jong-hoo at the centre desperately trying to piece together the vaguest of clues.

Without doubt the most intelligent and thought-provoking piece of cinematic art I've seen in years.

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Mar 25 2017, 01:59 PM
Post #65
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I did really enjoy The Witch, only issue was I HATED all of the family and couldn't remotely root for any of them but I suppose they weren't there to be sympathetic judging by the movie outcome. Love the use of animals within the film, really eerie and well done.

Been a great thread to follow even if I haven't commented until now! I love horror, but I feel quite behind on it these days as most of what comes out at least in the mainstream is a bit 'seen it all before', but these reviews definitely made me aware of some of the more under the radar ones that seem amazing so I must remember to come back to this thread!

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: Mar 25 2017, 02:00 PM

+Quote Post
Severin
post Mar 25 2017, 02:27 PM
Post #66
Mansonette
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks for commenting and glad you enjoyed the countdown. Be great to know if you discover a new favourite from it sometime

+Quote Post
p a v
post Apr 8 2017, 04:13 PM
Post #67
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
Member No.: 4,397

Oops at replying late but i concur, this was a great read. Got a few movies added to my watch list thanks to this.

QUOTE(JackJones @ Mar 23 2017, 04:00 AM) *
You missed my whole point here. My point is that the movie was bad IMO and my opinion should be respected just like everyone else's (you liked the film, great, I didn't - don't tell me I am wrong and the movie is good), I never said the reason I didn't like it was because of the marketing. I just simply pointed out that I felt the marketing was also at least somewhat misleading and I don't think that it is fair for audiences no matter what film is concerned (and not just The Witch). It is bad marketing and now it just happened to be bad marketing IMO for a film that I thought was bad no matter what kinda marketing it had.

You literally said that something something is not why you didn't like the movie and in the very next sentence you went with the marketing thing starting with a 'but'. So it's logical to assume this was the same topic and merely a continuarion of the point you were making.

Oh and if marketing brings you dolla dolla cash money honey, i'd argue it's good marketing. May be misleading but hell, you don't always get what you expect.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:52 AM