BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Why Were You a Single?!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post Aug 20 2016, 01:30 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472
Stolen from the RiRi forum (sorry not sorry), which Madonna song do you question being a single?

Whether it was just an initial bad reaction to it being announced as a single and you've grown to accept/like it, enjoyed it at first but now regret the decision or maybe just always hated it, always will.

The main one that springs to mind is 'Bitch I'm Madonna'. I must admit that I've always had a big soft spot for the song and I did think it could possibly inject some life into the Rebel Heart era by becoming a viral smash and thus a success in the chart, but the end product just didn't deliver and gave Madonna some more backlash and probably barely any good. They'd have been better off releasing another adult contemporary style track that would at least help shift the album even if it wasn't a success in its own right. Something like 'Devil Pray' would have ticked that box as well as adding a little bit of possible controversy with the drug references and it had the grounds for an incredible video.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
vibe
post Aug 20 2016, 03:15 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
^ Devil Pray should have started the campaign in my opinion.

Give me all your Luvin and turn up the radio are not the best cuts off MDNA .
Gang Bang and I'm addicted are the true highlights.

Love Profusion as the third single from American Life was an odd choice .
Nothing fails , nobody knows me with videos would have been better.

Apart from that i think she has always chosen very well .

+Quote this post
RosaParksMyCar
post Aug 20 2016, 04:19 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
User: 16,548
Girl Gone Wild

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Aug 21 2016, 01:25 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
MDNA, hands down, had the worst single choices of a Madonna era. I know that album doesn't give you a lot to work with, but they could have done better.

I'd have released 'Masterpiece' like November 2011, 'I'm Addicted' as the proper lead single and a video for 'Gang Bang' in time for the album release. After that, I'm not quite decided but 'Love Spent' and 'I Don't Give A' could have made decent single choices.

+Quote this post
post Aug 21 2016, 01:53 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
Hung Up

+Quote this post
Nick F1
post Aug 21 2016, 03:28 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 5,392
QUOTE(Joe. @ Aug 21 2016, 01:53 PM) *
Hung Up

+Quote this post
RosaParksMyCar
post Aug 21 2016, 04:14 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
mellow.gif

+Quote this post
Nina West
post Aug 21 2016, 04:46 PM
Post #8
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846
Dear Jessie (Like A Prayer)
I don't hate this song or anything, actually I do like it, but considering the much better tracks that could have been released instead of this, such as 'Til Death Do Us Part' or 'Promise To Try' they would have been amazing, I just find 'DJ' a bit too safe a choice and doesn't really represent the album it's from all that well at all.

Keep It Together (Like A Prayer)
I know this was only released in the USA and Australia and it did do well, but I don't find this song all that good and very forgettable, this should have stayed an album track and nothing else.

Fever (Erotica)
I do like what Madonna did with this cover, but it should have stayed as an album track, I know they wanted to play it safe after 'Bad Girl' underperformed, but honestly did this do anything to help flagging sales.

Bye Bye Baby (Erotica)
This was a strange choice, never really been keen on this song and ended the era on a downer in my opinion and don't find her vocals very strong on this either. I dunno why this received a release, it seems that they just gave up by this point and just released any old thing and didn't care. Why It's So Hard or Where Life Begins would have been much more interesting and better choices.

Love Profusion (American Life)
Never liked this song, find it very dull and uninteresting and don't get me started on that music video which looks like a bad tampon ad, it just seemed that even Madonna gave up by this point and there was no effort put into the video at all and just slapped together some green screen CGI crap. The song itself is just dreary and doesn't go anywhere, just boredom. 'Nothing Fails' should have been given a UK release instead of this.

Miles Away (Hard Candy)
How this ended up on 'Celebration' instead of the far better 'Give It 2 Me' baffles me to this day. The song isn't terrible or anything, infact it's quite pleasant and Madonna's vocals are really strong with a meaningful lyrics and was a definite standout on 'Hard Candy', but releasing it as the 3rd single was a huge mistake, it just felt too early and she should have went with something more up beat such as 'Heartbeat' or 'Beat Goes On' as the 3rd single, or even 'Devil Wouldn't Recognize You' as single #3, and then maybe released this as the 4th single, but because this underperformed we didn't get anymore 'HC' singles, and the whole era just felt unsatisfying.

Give Me All Your Luvin' (MDNA)
This entire era was a giant mess, but releasing this first was a disaster and basically wrecked her career, putting big name stars on a song which is something she wouldn't learn a lesson from, doesn't guarantee a hit, as this proves. 'I'm Addicted', like I've said many of times would have been a much stronger and better choice as this actually represents the album a whole lot better and gives you a taste of what's in store. Plus the other collaboration on the album 'I Don't Give A...' was far better than this, as this screams trend chasing and a major let down for a lead single.

Girl Gone Wild (MDNA)
It was bad enough having this as the album opener, but trying to make this a single was yet another disaster, if this stayed as an album track, then it would have been more liked and maybe gained a somewhat cult following in the dance clubs or something, but as a single it's awful and doesn't work at all and comes across as somewhat lacklustre and she had already delivered this kind off sound on 'Celebration' which was a far better dance track than this. 'Gang Bang' would have been a much more bold and interesting choice as the 2nd single.

Turn Up The Radio (MDNA)
Another uninspired and lacklustre choice in single, why not give 'Masterpiece' a fighting chance, instead of shooting a video for this dull track, I know nothing would have helped by this point, but come on at least put some effort into it. If the single choices went 'I'm Addicted', 'Gang Bang', 'Masterpieice' & 'I Don't Give A..'. then this era would have went a whole lot better and who knows maybe Madonna might have been able to score some hits in this decade.

Bitch I'm Madonna Rebel Heart
Without a doubt this has to be the worst song Madonna's ever recorded, just reeking of desperation for the glory days and what was the point of Nicki Minaj's rap verse and that horrible auto tune on Madonna's voice, it's just sad that the great Madonna has to resort to this just to get a chart entry and not even a big one at that. The 2 lead singles from this era were great and showed a more grown up sound and image for Madonna and then having stuff like this on the album, just made the whole thing uneven. Even the music video was just sad considering she couldn't even get A-List celebrities to properly appear in the video, instead having B-Listers such as Rita Ora desperately trying to claim to relevancy. If she was gonna go with a collaboration for the 3rd single, then why not 'Iconic' which at least sounds like a real song or even the amazing 'Devil Pray' which I know isn't a feature but it's one of the best things she's done in years and would have definitely got people talking due to it's controversy, instead of this embarrassing mess.

+Quote this post
vibe
post Aug 22 2016, 12:26 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763
Forgot about bye bye baby !!! That is my least favourite song of hers ever !

+Quote this post
tommie
post Aug 22 2016, 02:07 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073
American Life.

It's a mess of a song sonically, ridiculous lyrics and then the scrapped video didn't help matters. Hollywood would've been a better lead single, albeit it's on the safe side.

+Quote this post
jakewild
post Aug 22 2016, 02:44 PM
Post #11
Group icon
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
User: 2,790
thought this thread title was a personal attack at first

+Quote this post
RosaParksMyCar
post Aug 22 2016, 05:13 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
American Life is amazing tho

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Aug 23 2016, 10:24 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
I agree with all your suggestions there, Sam, to varying degrees. 'Dear Jessie' is indeed a nice song that gets too much stick and I love the flow from that to 'Oh Father' on the album, but you're right that the likes of 'Til Death Do Us Part' and 'Promise to Try' would have made better choices. The latter could have had a really brooding, emotional video and could work as an 'answer' song or at least a different point of view to 'Oh Father'.

I've never been that fussed about 'Keep It Together' either, not as a single, at least.

I've really come to enjoy Madonna's rendition of 'Fever' too but, like you say, it wasn't really necessary as a single and I feel there should have just been more effort into boosting 'Bad Girl' which is such a special song on the album for me. I like 'Bye Bye Baby' as well but I agree that there were better choices on the album. 'Where Life Begins' would have been a very bold choice, but I don't she'd have pulled it off. Unfortunately, she did need to play it moderately safe following the lead single and Sex and this feels even more explicit than 'Erotica' did. 'Waiting' could have been a good choice - it has a similar sound to 'Where Life Begins' but not lyrically 'offensive' and has pop hooks and chorus.

'Love Profusion' is one of the best from the album for me but even I can see it probably wasn't the best song for a single. It seems bizarre that 'Nothing Fails' didn't get a worldwide push, anyone know why?

I doubt we'd have received anymore singles from Hard Candy unless whatever was single #3 was REALLY successful. The days of long campaigns for Madonna were well and truly over and it was the point where she realised she was better off focusing on the tour and ended up giving up on the rest of the album era after single #2. 'Miles Away' was a good shout at keeping the album selling over Christmas and, although it failed miserably at doing that, I feel the only other song that could have done a better job was 'Devil Wouldn't Recognise You', but that's one of the album's best so I'd hate to have seen that flop and get such a half-hearted release.

Can't argue the fact that MDNA had the completely wrong single choices. I like your plans for the singles though!

Yeah, I like 'Bitch I'm Madonna' but, in hindsight it should have been a promo video at most.

QUOTE(#00274E @ Aug 22 2016, 03:44 PM) *
thought this thread title was a personal attack at first

The only personal attacks are from Joe and Nick with their 'Hung Up' suggestion. It sounds like fighting talk to me.

+Quote this post
post Aug 23 2016, 10:30 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
QUOTE(liamk97 @ Aug 23 2016, 11:24 PM) *
The only personal attacks are from Joe and Nick with their 'Hung Up' suggestion. It sounds like fighting talk to me.

I can't speak for Nick but I was just trolling. As much as I don't love that song, it's one of many career defining moments for Madge.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Aug 23 2016, 10:34 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
QUOTE(Joe. @ Aug 23 2016, 11:30 PM) *
I can't speak for Nick but I was just trolling. As much as I don't love that song, it's one of many career defining moments for Madge.

Ah don't worry I know. tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Tyler
post Aug 24 2016, 06:35 PM
Post #16
Group icon
If people hate you, don’t hate them.
User: 67
BLASPHEMY at 'Hung Up' being mentioned!

+Quote this post
RosaParksMyCar
post Aug 24 2016, 06:47 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
Frozen

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post Aug 24 2016, 10:28 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
QUOTE(Tyler @ Aug 24 2016, 07:35 PM) *
BLASPHEMY at 'Hung Up' and 'Frozen' being mentioned!

+Quote this post
RosaParksMyCar
post Aug 24 2016, 10:36 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
Frozen is bargain basement B side trash

+Quote this post
jakewild
post Aug 24 2016, 10:41 PM
Post #20
Group icon
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
User: 2,790
also girl gone wild is a B OPPPPP

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:20 PM