BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> E·MO·TION Vs 1989, Which album do you prefer?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
E·MO·TION Vs 1989
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 45
Guests cannot vote 
post Feb 16 2016, 01:59 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

E·MO·TION and 1989 have been compared a lot, as the albums have a lot of sonic similarities, both being a specific breed of pure pop - & released relatively closely together.

However the two artists couldn't be more different. Taylor Swift is known for her high-profiled relationships and her famous girl squad. Meanwhile, Carly Rae Jepsen is more introverted and is known by the masses for being simply a “one hit wonder.”

1989 went onto being one of the highest selling albums of the past decade and it gave birth to a string of big hits, most recently taking the 'album of the year' Grammy. Jepsen's album was a commercial flop but had much higher critical praise, making common appearances on "End of Year" lists from a broad range of critics and publications. It's also already managed to build a bit of a cult status, being an album that many pop intellects hold close to the heart.

But which do you think is the better album?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
jakewild
post Feb 16 2016, 02:01 PM
Post #2
Group icon
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
User: 2,790
1989 defo got some bops but e mo tion is just 💯

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Feb 16 2016, 02:03 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
1989. I love both, probably just biased here. I loved watching Taylor morph from a country princess to a fully fledged pop superstar, and it feels like Taylor has always been a pop queen, she settled so well into the role. Carly also changed a lot though, I have to say I was very impressed at Emotion and its critical success as she's always just been that girl who sang Call Me Maybe, but this album was so much darker, it has so much meaning to it and so many layers. I just personally prefer 1989.

+Quote this post
seven.
post Feb 16 2016, 02:15 PM
Post #4
Group icon
i can only do one normal thing a day
User: 14,428
1989 is a good album for the most part. E·MO·TION wins easily though, I haven't heard many pop albums quite as consistently strong as that one!

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Feb 16 2016, 02:16 PM
Post #5
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
Both are incredible but 1989 is my favourite 💛💜💚💙

+Quote this post
post Feb 16 2016, 02:19 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
When I originally heard 1989, I was very impressed. Everything sounded so instant and well thought out.

But Emotion hit me so much harder, the songs have so much life to them, and when I look back at 1989 it sounds somewhat empty in places, in comparison. Which I realise is an unfair assessment due to the fact a lot of Emotion's influence (the parts written post-1989) clearly came from Taylor. 1989 still has its merits and is up there with the pop greats though.

+Quote this post
Qween
post Feb 16 2016, 02:38 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709
Emotion, absolutely no question. 1989 continues Taylor's trend of amazing highs, but generally average albums, whereas Emotion is almost wall to wall brilliant and even the songs I'm not a huge fan of, I can see what she was trying to do or say with them a lot more than I can with the songs I dislike in 1989. Emotion also does the 80's sound FAR more successfully than 1989, something like When I Needed You is the perfect 80's pop song, yet totally up to date at the same time. Only a handful of tracks (New Romantics being an obvious example) manage to come close on 1989. That all said, Out Of The Woods is clearly the song of Taylor's career so at least it gave us that 12455/10 moment of utter pop genius.

+Quote this post
post Feb 16 2016, 02:42 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
I wonder if Taylor had released Emotion and Carly had released 1989 would the successes have been any different?

Warm Blood Ft. Kendrick Lamar.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Feb 16 2016, 02:43 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
E·MO·TION for me is the best pop album in about a decade, no question. 1989 is surprisingly good for Taylor though and I pretty much like the whole album, which is impressive as I pretty much couldn't stand her before that (I still think she can't sing a note and is a questionable person, though).

+Quote this post
Qween
post Feb 16 2016, 02:54 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709
QUOTE(Joe. @ Feb 16 2016, 02:42 PM) *
I wonder if Taylor had released Emotion and Carly had released 1989 would the successes have been any different?

Markedly, I would imagine. Emotion is just as accessible and as undeniably pop, it's just a star of the magnitude of Taylor is always going to get more attention/more plays/be sought out by more people. I mean Carly had a gargantuan hit with Call Me Maybe of course, but as has been noted many times since that's all people expect from her. I must admit to being one of then, I was only persuaded to listen to Emotion once I knew Dev Hynes was involved.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Feb 16 2016, 02:56 PM
Post #11
Group icon
User: 13,007
Joe drama.gif

Both are the best pop albums I have heard in years and years but for me EMOTION is one that will last with me for many many years to come. It's consistent with practically no filler and so many moments of absolute ecstasy. I'd go as far as to say it could be in my top 10 albums of all time already but that may just be its recentness impacting on me more so. That is not to take anything away from 1989 which is a behemoth of pop gold too but pitting virtually anything against EMOTION and there will only be one winner. It's a perfect album.

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post Feb 16 2016, 02:57 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Former iconic poster with no consistent posting style
Pronouns: Don't take em seriously tbh
User: 21,005
Emotion of course, but 1989 AT's really impressed me from Taylor with this album, not just the singles music.gif

This post has been edited by Jaspine Thompson: Feb 16 2016, 02:57 PM

+Quote this post
Davidson
post Feb 16 2016, 03:25 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,847
Sorry. Still so not getting the hype around EMOTION at all. I think it's a very average album with a few very good pop moments scattered throughout and that's about it. Solid 7/10 type album material. I've also never really had the urge to go back and listen to it in full after my first listen.

1989 (taking out one or two weaker tracks towards the end) is absolute pop perfection.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Feb 16 2016, 03:30 PM
Post #14
Group icon
User: 13,007
QUOTE(Davidson @ Feb 16 2016, 03:25 PM) *
Sorry. Still so not getting the hype around EMOTION at all. I think it's a very average album with a few very good pop moments scattered throughout and that's about it. Solid 7/10 type album material. I've also never really had the urge to go back and listen after listening once all the way through.

1989 (taking out one or two weaker tracks towards the end) is absolute pop perfection.

...and that's probably the reason why you don't get it like some others do tongue.gif it took me a good few listens all the way through to properly get the album. An album like this is so multi-layered it's impossible to understand it immediately imo. I only understood what 'Your Type' was about after the video was released for example and that was months and months after the album came. I would much rather an album that matured over time and the more attention you gave it rather than out and out, in your face bangers that didn't leave much to the imagination.

+Quote this post
post Feb 16 2016, 03:36 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(HausofTroye @ Feb 16 2016, 03:30 PM) *
...and that's probably the reason why you don't get it like some others do tongue.gif it took me a good few listens all the way through to properly get the album. An album like this is so multi-layered it's impossible to understand it immediately imo. I only understood what 'Your Type' was about after the video was released for example and that was months and months after the album came. I would much rather an album that matured over time and the more attention you gave it rather than out and out, in your face bangers that didn't leave much to the imagination.

I agree, (I feel similarly about FROOT in comparison to Electra Heart). I had different moments with all the different songs at different times. 'When I Needed You' I passed by for ages and suddenly out of nowhere, it's my favourite song on the album.

Boy Problems and Black Heart are the only 2 out of 15 songs that I don't like. It's one of the few albums where the deluxe tracks include some of my favourites (I Didn't Just Come Here To Dance and Favourite Colour are sublime). Though 1989 has a very strong deluxe, too.

+Quote this post
Davidson
post Feb 16 2016, 03:42 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,847
QUOTE(HausofTroye @ Feb 16 2016, 03:30 PM) *

maybe i will give it another go then.

to be fair 'all that' shits on taylor's entire discography so it's not as if i don't have some love there already. maybe it's just the incredible amount of praise/hype that i found off-putting and left me rather disappointed. i just remember thinking it was a strong but ultimately rather average pop album.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Feb 16 2016, 04:01 PM
Post #17
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
I muuuuch prefer 1989, Emotion never really clicked with me even though I do like it and it's got several pretty good songs on it. 1989 is almost without flaw and it's not tired on me at all. Neither album is actually my favourite by their respective artist though, I prefer Speak Now by Taylor and Kiss by Carly.

+Quote this post
Spinning Adam
post Feb 16 2016, 04:38 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Former iconic poster with no consistent posting style
Pronouns: Don't take em seriously tbh
User: 21,005
QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Feb 16 2016, 04:01 PM) *
I muuuuch prefer 1989, Emotion never really clicked with me even though I do like it and it's got several pretty good songs on it. 1989 is almost without flaw and it's not tired on me at all. Neither album is actually my favourite by their respective artist though, I prefer Speak Now by Taylor and Kiss by Carly.

Finally someone else who prefers Kiss to EMOTION yahoo.gif

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Feb 16 2016, 05:12 PM
Post #19
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217
Emotion, without a doubt. I love 1989, it's a fantastic pop album and it's certainly one of the best of this decade... but I find Emotion to be on another level. It's one of the best albums I've ever heard. <3

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Feb 16 2016, 11:32 PM
Post #20
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
I genuinely can't decide. I think the highs on '1989' are higher, but 'E·MO·TION' is a lot more cohesive and a better work of art for me. So maybe 'E·MO·TION', but I can't bring myself to vote for it, coz I love '1989' too much, that it feels so unjust... Eeek.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:48 AM