BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
22 Pages V  « < 20 21 22  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Doctor Who: Series 10, Christmas Day: Twice Upon a Time
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Long Dong Silver
post 25th December 2017, 06:56 PM
Post #421
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

QUOTE(Nadolig Llawen! @ Dec 25 2017, 06:43 PM) *
I enjoyed it, especially David Bradley, but they didn’t have enough material for an hour which is why Peter Capaldi’s monologue was unnecessarily long at the end.

45 mins would have been better as it dragged at times.

The female doctor touched ONE button and destroyed the whole thing laugh.gif Was the Tardis rejecting her?

And Bill - sooo she is still alive somewhere as a spaceship, but never to be seen again, hence the icon?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
BridgeCow
post 25th December 2017, 07:16 PM
Post #422
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,860

This was great, but it really did drag on

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 25th December 2017, 09:12 PM
Post #423
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

David Bradley was great as the 1st Doctor, but there wasn't a real conflict in this episode, although as it was a Christmas episode I can somewhat understand it.

From the closing moments of this episode, they seem to be suggesting that Jodie Doctor is likely to be separated from the TARDIS and stuck on earth for a period of time, a la several of Jon Pertwee's serials in the 70s, which definitely will mean a new approach in the NuWho era.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 25th December 2017, 11:26 PM
Post #424
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

I enjoyed that, the so called 'threat' was very underdeveloped and there didn't really seem to be a point of it (the Dalek especially seemed completely pointless unless I'm missing something?) apart from to convince the Doctor to carry on but it certainly had a lot of moving scenes and for a Christmas episode that's definitely up there with the best of recent years given their usual standard! LOVED David Bradley, I wish him and Capaldi had met earlier as they were brilliant (the Doctor rebutting the sexist remarks were quite cleverly foreshadowing in the end as well).

Does look like the New Doctor's gonna be TARDIS-less for at least the first episode for the new series, suppose it will be interesting to see how she copes without it.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 26th December 2017, 01:19 AM
Post #425
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

I enjoyed it too! On a plot level, it was pretty disposable and served little purpose beyond being an excuse for Bill, Clara and Nardole to show up, but I thoroughly enjoyed their scenes. Pearl was once again fantastic as Bill, I liked the twist about her being part of the Testament but not remotely posing a threat. David Bradley was superb as the First Doctor, he and Capaldi bounced off each other so beautifully.

Whilst Capaldi is probably my least favourite of the modern Doctors, I've still thoroughly enjoyed him in the role (particularly in series 10 where he seemed to find exactly what type of Doctor he wanted to play) and he seems like one of the loveliest men on the planet. Now bring on Jodie, her first scene looked very intriguing although it's hard to make any kind of judgement on the Thirteenth Doctor yet of course!

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post 26th December 2017, 01:12 PM
Post #426
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: he/him
User: 19,585

Excellent episode! So good to see Clara, Nardole and of course Bill. Was also good to see the plot not be about an imminent threat but rather a system of trying to correct something that had gone wrong. Loved the end scene with the TARDIS as well!

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 27th December 2017, 10:12 PM
Post #427
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

I spent yesterday with most of my family, including my 13-year-old massive Dr Who fan nephew. Back in the summer - just before the announcement - he was adamant that he wouldn't watch the programme if a woman was cast in the role of the Doctor. In the autumn he insisted that he wouldn't watch it while Jodie Whittaker was in it. By yesterday he was wavering. He seemed to accept my view that 13's only line and the way she was thrown out of the Tardis was a bit of a dig at her opponents. The tide is turning!

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 28th December 2017, 10:51 AM
Post #428
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

It was an odd Christmas special, it felt the result of a necessary requirement at needing a Christmas special. I know the episode was focusing on the themes of death, memories, letting go etc but it just felt a bit...meandering? It was nice to see the First Doctor and it was great to have Bill back, with a satisfying explanation for her return (although where does this leave her explanation of what she is now she's with Heather, is she some weird spirit??). I also loved the transitions from/into the 1960s episode, and that it said 709 episodes earlier AND that it showed the regeneration into Patrick Troughton! It was also nice to see him have the memories of Clara return, I was thinking that it sort of undermines that conclusion but then he's changing into a different person so maybe won't have the same attachment?? I dunno... ALSO, Rusty's return! It may not be a classic character/episode but it was nice to have that throwback to his second episode.

It was a nice watch I guess but definitely felt like filler, as they fill the necessary gap between Series 10 & 11 and the transition from Moffatt to Chibnall. Jodie's scene was maybe too similar to Matt's first scene and I'm not sure how I'd feel about them going down the route Brett has suggested they might be doing! I want more modern day Earth stories but you also need the glimpses of other place and other time periods!. We'll see how this new era goes, it definitely feels like it will bring the biggest changes yet...

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 17th January 2018, 09:48 PM
Post #429
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666

I saw Twice Upon A Time on iPlayer last week. I enjoyed it.

My scorecard for Series 10:

Pilot [BRILLIANT]
Smile [GREAT]
Thin Ice [GREAT]
Knock Knock [OUTSTANDING]
Oxygen [OUTSTANDING]
Extremis [ [GOLD] ]
The Pyramid At The End Of The World [BRILLIANT]
The Lie Of The Land [OUTSTANDING]
The Empress Of Mars [DIVINE]
The Eaters Of Light [GOOD] (-)
World Enough And Time [ [GOLD] ]