BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 'Madonna' • album discussion, 1st album | 1983
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausofKubrick
post May 7 2020, 01:16 PM
Post #1
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,007

A place to discuss Madonna's debut album 'Madonna'. Released in 1983.

1. Lucky Star
2. Borderline
3. Burning Up
4. I Know It
5. Holiday
6. Think of Me
7. Physical Attraction
8. Everybody

What are your thoughts on this album? Share any opinions, memories, favourite songs, or just discuss it anytime you're re-listening!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post May 7 2020, 01:16 PM
Post #2

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post May 7 2020, 01:19 PM
Post #3

Threads will be appearing for each of Madonna's albums to make sure there is a central place to discuss each era cheer.gif I may stagger them so as not to overload the forum because there are loads! kink.gif

Starting with the debut! Although this doesn't rank as one of my favourites, it is so nostalgic and retro. Her sound evolved so much since these days but what a way to make a mark on the music industry! The album cover is one of my favourite things about the era: it is quintessentially 80s Madonna and such a beautiful image of her.

Favourite song: Borderline wub.gif

+Quote Post
Jordanlee
post May 9 2020, 01:57 PM
Post #4
Jord
Group: Members
Member No.: 27,116

Love her debut album wub.gif

Borderline is also my favourite but this is such a fun pleasant album! wub.gif

I really wish I was alive during Madonna’s early albums tbh so I could witness her impact through the 80s.

But even in her debut era you can she’s special and a true force!

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post May 9 2020, 03:50 PM
Post #5

Another 'Borderline' fan <3

I agree about your comment that you could see the special star potential this early. But I doubt anyone would suspect she'd become the single biggest female artist ever cheeseblock.png

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post May 14 2020, 09:26 AM
Post #6
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

I love the production of this album. Every song has room to breathe and build and the hooks are irresistible. Madonna's raw energy and passion sells the songs further, definitely agree about her star power being obvious from the start.

'Physical Attraction' is a particular highlight for me. wub.gif

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Jun 8 2020, 07:09 PM
Post #7
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

I'm gonna listen to all her albums in order, as it's about time I did tbh (aiming for at least one a day). I've only heard a couple of albums in full, so this will be interesting for me. Remember I don't have any nostalgic attachment or anything particularly special about majority of these albums, so take that into account before potentially dragging me please! heehee.gif

Starting off with this album ofc. An album that I think is very of it's time, but a cute debut album overall (very much the 80's version of '...Baby One More Time' I presume). A lot of the vocal production on 80's stuff are so poorly mixed (she sounds quieter in some tracks than others for example - but no fault of hers, just a victim of the times & technology I guess - like IKI and PA - but it's an 80's thing) but some of the production flourishes on this is cute, like in 'I Know It'. 'Holiday' has never been a fave of mine, idk what it is, it kind of irritates me a little bit. But the other singles are better!

My ranking:
1. Borderline
2. Burning Up
3. I Know It
4. Think of Me
5. Everybody
6. Lucky Star > I think I prefer the "New Mix" <
7. Holiday
8. Physical Attraction

I don't dislike any of them, but 'Borderline' and 'Burning Up' are definitely my favourite 2 and they feel like they're quite a bit ahead of the others for me. A cohesive and cute debut album. The beginning of 'Lucky Star' reminds me a LOT of Carly Rae's 'Cut To The Feeling' laugh.gif I like the production on 'I Know It', it's just a shame about the vocal mixing!

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Jun 8 2020, 07:12 PM
Post #8
Mansonette
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

Oooooo I'll be interested in seeing your thoughts Jonjo! I can't argue with your views on this one, it's cohesive but not spectacular and I don't have any memories of it from the time to make it more special for me. Borderline is easily the best thing on there, the only one I'd call a real fave.

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Jun 8 2020, 07:22 PM
Post #9

Jon, I am so excited for your insights and thoughts on the albums! I pretty much totally agree with your commentary on this (except the 'Holiday' bit tongue.gif).

'Borderline' is definitely the highlight and as Dandy says, the one song off the album that has truly stood the test of time against all of her subsequent hits as a real favourite of mine.

The comparison to Britney's debut is an interesting one too. Obviously not in terms of their sounds but in that they both started the careers of pop BEHEMOTHS and both albums were bettered many times later on and seem very reflective of the times they were released. Britney's debut obviously has much stronger singles on the whole though wub.gif

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Jun 8 2020, 07:48 PM
Post #10
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

Yeah, definitely just in terms of being the product of their times, more than the actual content (and how they feel "cute" and "nice for a debut"). Thankfully (or hopefully in terms of Madge - Idk yet!!! heehee.gif) they have both given better and more creative/daring albums in their careers!

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Jun 9 2020, 10:26 PM
Post #11
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
Member No.: 19,846
   No Gallery Pics

My rating of this album:

01. Lucky Star = 9/10
02. Borderline = 10/10
03. Burning Up = 8/10
04. I Know It = 6/10
05. Holiday = 10/10
06. Think of Me = 7/10
07. Physical Attraction = 7/10
08. Everybody = 8/10

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Jun 9 2020, 10:46 PM
Post #12
Break the tension
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

'Physical Attraction' is just a magnificent piece of music. wub.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post Jun 9 2020, 11:10 PM
Post #13
is in hibernation
Group: Banned
Member No.: 21,161

Same as Jonjo, I'm making it my project to have listened to all her albums by...a month's time? I've listened to so many new albums in lockdown I've forgotten how half of them go. tearsmile.gif

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Jun 11 2020, 12:29 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Idol

I echo the comments above that it's interesting to hear your thoughts on Madonna's albums as a first-time listener, Jonjo! I've not really taken issue with any mixing problems on her debut - you're probably right in saying so, but I think the album purposely has a raw energy about it and is very focused on the heavy drum beats and bass, so any production limitations work in its favour.

QUOTE(Andrew. @ Jun 10 2020, 12:10 AM) *
Same as Jonjo, I'm making it my project to have listened to all her albums by...a month's time? I've listened to so many new albums in lockdown I've forgotten how half of them go. tearsmile.gif

Woo! cheer.gif Let us know your thoughts too!

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Jun 11 2020, 05:28 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(Andrew. @ Jun 10 2020, 12:10 AM) *

Excited for this! You won't regret it <3

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Jul 27 2020, 04:25 PM
Post #16

Happy birthday to the debut album cheer.gif 37 today!

My favourite single would be 'Borderline'!

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Oct 6 2020, 07:22 PM
Post #17

Where it all began, the debut single 'Everybody' was released on this day 38 years ago!

What are your thoughts on the debut single now?

+Quote Post
vibe
post Oct 6 2020, 07:42 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

This album is underrated in her discography.

The singles are all killer.

I also am very fond of think of me.

Borderline and Burning Up are my fav tracks now.

Growing up you can’t deny the joy fullness of holiday .

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Jan 4 2021, 08:49 PM
Post #19

I have decided over the course of the next few weeks (and with the help of my vinyls kink.gif), to listen through Madonna's album discography and post my rankings in their respective threads! Starting where it all began with the debut!

1. Borderline
2. Lucky Star
3. Holiday
4. Physical Attraction
5. Burning Up
6. Think of Me
7. Everybody
8. I Know It

It's a very clear #1 for me: Borderline could rank as my favourite 80s song from Madonna! Secondly, Lucky Star hasn't always been a favourite but it has snuck high up into my affections over time (helped by the live Confessions version and its inclusion on Travis Scott's album from a few years back) - now it's a big favourite of mine. Holiday is such a Madonna staple and a true classic - totally summarises the feel of this album: escapism! Physical Attraction is great fun and so undeniably catchy; it merges her innocent care-free 80s charm with a bit of spark. The final few are fun as part of the album but are inessential. Burning Up has great potential with the instrumentation but I think the chorus falls flat. Think of Me is vintage 80s Madonna with a pumping beat~ Everybody is too repetitive without that killer standout hook and I Know It is the most forgettable for me. Overall it's not her best album, in fact far from it (it probably ranks in her bottom few for me), but it is quintessentially retro and so holds a special place in her discography for that reason.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Jan 8 2021, 07:45 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Idol

'I Know It' used to be one of the standouts for me years ago but I'd probably place it last now too. 'Everybody' is up there as one of my favourties on the album though, I think it's got great hooks and I love the bass and all the synths! The Stuart Price remix is fantastic.

Kelly Clarkson did a short cover of 'Borderline' on her US chat show earlier in the week:

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:57 AM