BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 'True Blue' • album discussion, 3rd album | 1986
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausofKubrick
post May 10 2020, 06:41 PM
Post #1
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,007

A place to discuss Madonna's 3rd studio album 'True Blue'. Released in 1986.

1. Papa Don't Preach
2. Open Your Heart
3. White Heat
4. Live to Tell
5. Where's the Party
6. True Blue
7. La Isla Bonita
8. Jimmy Jimmy
9. Love Makes the World Go Round

What are your thoughts on this album? Share any opinions, memories, favourite songs, or just discuss it anytime you're re-listening!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post May 10 2020, 06:41 PM
Post #2

+Quote Post
dandy*
post May 10 2020, 08:35 PM
Post #3
Mansonette
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

This is where she got really very good indeed. Every track is pretty decent, albeit some of the album tracks are very of their time.

Such an insanely good set of singles too, even the title track has its place.

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post May 10 2020, 08:46 PM
Post #4

I agree Dandy*. This is the start of the flawless run of albums that was to come throughout the rest of the 80s, 90s and early 00s. wub.gif

The singles are all incredible and the album tracks help to create a great and very consistent listen.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post May 14 2020, 09:48 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

Madonna definitely found her stride with this album! Her songcraft had developed and matured, dealing with more substantial messages, and her vocals are much stronger and allows her to sell the songs in different ways. Of course, the main body of the album is about fun, love, fantasy and freedom, but everything feels like it's been pushed into another gear.

The set of singles are fantastic, each offering something different yet they all tie together perfectly.

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Jun 9 2020, 04:42 PM
Post #6
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

Looking at the tracks which I'm familiar with, this is already her best album! LMAO. The singles run is flawless. Just by the first part of the album, you can tell this was the point where Madonna truly became the Madonna we all know/are aware of now. The 1-2 punch of PDP and OYH (two of her VERY best for me)... *.* Was 'Live To Tell' the lead single? If so... a brave choice. It very much feels like a 4th single from the album to sell the album kinda single, but I guess those kinds of strategies weren't as heavily incorporated back then. It makes me so sad that she (not sure about fans but I assume they feel similar?) doesn't like the song 'True Blue'. </3 A fave! But I think it's mainly down to being one of the first Madonna songs I actually knew was a Madonna song.

My Ranking:
1. Papa Don't Preach
2. Open Your Heart
3. True Blue
4. La Isla Bonita
5. Where's the Party
6. Live to Tell
7. White Heat
8. Jimmy Jimmy
9. Love Makes the World Go Round

Agreed that the album tracks are very of the time, but they're a lot of fun! The singles were definitely the right choices, I probably would've ordered them differently, but that's more in a "hindsight" thing and I don't know what the strategy was for singles back then as much as I think I know them now laugh.gif I'd probably listen to this album again out of my own choice tbh. It's really good!

Album Rankings:
01. True Blue
02. Madonna
03. Like A Virgin

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Jun 9 2020, 05:10 PM
Post #7
Mansonette
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

Live To Tell was from a movie soundtrack so was released to coincide with that, I always think of Papa Don't Preach as being the true lead single - a little bit like how American Pie isn't regarded as the first single from Music.

Glad this one connected with you more! It's definitely one of her strongest albums and probably the most pop out of the lot too. I love all the singles, even True Blue has its place when I'm in the right mood for it. I also like the album tracks, they haven't aged particularly well but they're sufficiently fun and are a joy to listen to, the types of things that make you smile

+Quote Post
vibe
post Jun 9 2020, 05:29 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

My F M album

This 5 singles
The artwork

Iconic

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Jun 10 2020, 08:10 PM
Post #9

So happy you enjoyed this album Jonjo! It's my favourite 80s album from her and the first sign of the Madonna that I love and idolise today in terms of the musical output!

Where's the Party is my favourite album track here, so i'm glad it's the same for you too dance.gif

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Jun 11 2020, 12:56 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Idol

'True Blue' the song is quite schmaltzy, especially for Madonna, but there's something so charming about it. It's possibly bottom-placing out of the album's singles but definitely not miles behind. It is a shame it's been so neglected over the years, but the performance on the Rebel Heart Tour was a lovely surprise and I consider it one of my favourites of the tour!

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Jun 11 2020, 05:30 PM
Post #11

The Rebel Heart performance of the song was nice! It worked really well with the arrangement chosen. I just don't return to the original much apart from when I listen to the album as a whole. The other singles (particularly the trio of Papa, Open and La Isla) just overshadow it so strongly!

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Jun 14 2020, 04:33 PM
Post #12
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
Member No.: 19,846
   No Gallery Pics

Here's my track by track review for True Blue this masterpiece that not only made Madonna into a credible artist, but became her most defining moment in her career.

Papa Don't Preach
Well let's kick things off with an almighty BANG! with a perfect serving of 80's pop, from its opening into of suspense-laden strings arrangement, that already shows not only a different sound, but a more mature side to Madonna than her previous 2 offerings. Madonna's vocals are really strong (probably the strongest she's ever sounded up to this point). The song's taboo subject matter is what really distinguishes the song, as it's dramatic production gives it a sense of urgency & sensitivity, all the makings of a classic Madonna track.

Open Your Heart
Another belting track that is more of a straight forward love song with a continuous percussion filled structure with some well paced grooves & a memorable chorus, while the verses are a little weak in the presence of the music & chorus, everything balances out neatly into another brilliant number.

White Heat
This is our first foray into the non-single tracks on the album with its slick mid-tempo groove that samples dialogue from the 1949 movie of the same name & used effectively here & adds an extra kick to this really strong track that fits right into the brilliance of this album.

Live To Tell
The album's lead single that offers a break from the up-tempo numbers with this slow brooding yet gorgeous ballad with prominent percussion & keyboard, synth, and electric guitar flourishes throughout, this has to be one of her boldest lead single's of her career, a very risky move that thankfully paid off as this has to be not only one of the most riveting songs on the album, but of her career also.

Where's The Party
Back to the more upbeat sound now with this feel-good anthem which celebrates the many virtues of escapism from the mundane. Completely fun, frothy & very catchy with its joyful production, this is easily the best non-single track on the album & a firm standout moment.

True Blue
The fun & campy title track that's probably the weakest out of all the singles on here which feels very paint by numbers, but the 50's dop-wop throwback style does give it an extra kick that gives it that authentic feel with some brilliant upbeat melodies that makes this a pretty fun time overall.

La Isla Bonita
Up next is this little Cuban/Pop masterpiece, that's probably the crowning moment of this album, a feast of percussion, Spanish guitar, and great vocals from Madonna. It’s a simple song, but the switch to this genre really makes this a TIMELESS CLASSIC.

Jimmy, Jimmy
Well every album has to have one...a DUD! that is. A fast paced, uptempo, lowkey filler track that does have some enjoyable flashy synths, it just fails to go anywhere interesting or exciting.

Love Makes The World Go Round
The album closes with this carnival sounding track which has a simplistic yet well-intentioned clarion call for unity and understanding. Originally intended as the lead single (THANKFULLY it wasnt) as it's firmly album material & does end the album nicely even if it's not much outside of its lyrical content, plus could have be a bit shorter in length as this tends to drag on a bit.

This post has been edited by Nina West: Jun 14 2020, 04:34 PM

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Jun 15 2020, 07:22 PM
Post #13

Great reviews there! Agree about your praise for 'Where's the Party' cheer.gif

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Jun 30 2020, 03:52 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Idol

Did not realise that second fact! Odd that it hadn't happened prior to 1986.

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Jun 30 2020, 06:04 PM
Post #15

Happy birthday to her first masterpiece (of many) cheer.gif party.gif

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Oct 4 2020, 03:21 PM
Post #16

True Blue has been shortlisted for BBC Radio 2's - Sounds of the 80s, Ultimate Album.

The results will be revealed by Gary Davies in a Sounds Of The 80s Ultimate 80s Albums countdown special, on Radio 2 and BBC Sounds from 8pm on Friday 9 October.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/2...-80s-album-vote

+Quote Post
TheSnake
post Dec 20 2020, 03:29 PM
Post #17
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
Group: Memberrs
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

Papa Don't Preach and La Isla Bonita are still great, better than a lot of chart pop music that was around in the charts at the time imo. True Blue (the song) is still good but not quite as good as PDP and LAB in my opinion.

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Dec 21 2020, 08:24 AM
Post #18
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
Member No.: 19,846
   No Gallery Pics

My Ranking =

1. La Isla Bonita
2. Papa Don't Preach
3. Live To Tell
4. Open Your Heart
5. True Blue
6. Where's The Party
7. White Heat
8. Love Makes The World Go Round
9. Jimmy Jimmy

+Quote Post
Bjork
post Dec 21 2020, 09:36 AM
Post #19
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 22,665
   No Gallery Pics

was Love Makes The World Go Round really intended as the lead single?
doesn't sound like single material at all

Where's the party is the only semi-decent album track in here, the rest of non-singles are pretty bad

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Dec 21 2020, 09:54 AM
Post #20
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(Bjork @ Dec 21 2020, 09:36 AM) *
was Love Makes The World Go Round really intended as the lead single?
doesn't sound like single material at all

I'm guessing it was just penciled in as lead single in the early stages of the album, particularly after being performed at Live Aid. I'm sure as the writing sessions continued, it became clear that there were better songs on offer.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:54 AM