BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 'MDNA' • album discussion, 12th album | 2012
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post 12th January 2021, 10:29 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

I'm sure I've read this before but I've just realised/been reminded that this was intended for 'MDNA':

I dread to think what Madonna's vocal on the chorus would sound like. tearsmile.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 12th January 2021, 11:44 PM
Post #22
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

Such an awful song.

+Quote this post
vibe
post 13th January 2021, 08:13 AM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

rehash of the avicci song.

William put a huge dent in his realtionship with M when he claimed all the best songs went to Chris Brown.

+Quote this post
Hotlady
post 13th January 2021, 07:22 PM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 4,586

I just love this album it really amazing. Madonna song Girls Gone Wild is my favourite song from the album.

+Quote this post
inactiveaccount
post 14th January 2021, 11:43 AM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 1,030

'falling free' is a career best to be honest

+Quote this post
ChrisJK
post 21st January 2021, 01:39 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 122,015

Let's get this out of the way from the outset... this is the only Madonna album I have never actually bought. I still don't own a copy *goes off to Amazon to see how much it would cost*

£1.89 plus £1.26 delivery. Maybe I should spend the £3.15?

It was a close call between MDNA and Madame X for bottom of the list, but ultimately I prefer Madonna doing this kind of pop/dance/electronic music. It does feel a bit music-by-numbers and I could do without some of the overly controversial titles, but I really liked the singles.

Give Me All Your Luvin' (Luvin' laugh.gif For real??) was far from the right lead single, but worked well as part of the Super Bowl thing and the video was watchable. The worst thing was its release day, which led to a low UK Chart position. As a Madonna fan, I don't think I was ready for that.

Never mind, Girl Gone Wild would rectify it... Brilliant song, fab video... and then that did even worse...

Unlike many, I really like Turn Up The Radio... but that didn't do anything at all.

So it wasn't close to the success we were used to and we started to see her chart positions going the same way as they had in the US for years. But major hits aside, I feel that if I had parted with my beloved tenner when it was released then this would have ended up blasting out in my car for quite a while (which Madame X didn't).

ALBUM RANKINGS:
13. MDNA
14. MADAME X

+Quote this post
dandy*
post 21st January 2021, 02:59 PM
Post #27
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 54

MDNA is the only album of hers that I've never bought also!

+Quote this post
vibe
post 21st January 2021, 05:00 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

easily her worst album

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 2nd February 2021, 03:08 PM
Post #29
Group icon
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
User: 19,846

This will be my next review, WON'T be doing the bonus tracks though.

+Quote this post
vibe
post 2nd February 2021, 04:21 PM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

best friend and beautiful killer are better than some album tracks !

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 3rd February 2021, 03:05 AM
Post #31
Group icon

Here is my review of Madonna's 12th studio album "MDNA", enjoy...

Girl Gone Wild
Opening the album, we have this quite catchy electro pop banger that starts promisingly with a melodramatic spoken word into, then kicks into a frenzied gear that’s very in your face. But while all the ingredients are there, it sounds rushed and monotone throughout, while the production courtesy of Benny Benassi is okay, Madonna’s vocals sound bored and lifeless. Not one of her better singles unfortunately.

Gang Bang
Now this is far better with this very dark EDM track with pulsating beats & a dubstep breakdown, with a really cool techno grooves & edgy lyrics, along with Madonna’s icy vocal delivery, this is easily one of the best moments on here and love that in the song’s final minute, the camp melodrama gets ratcheted up as both the music and lyrics become more and more aggressive until the almighty climax. Glorious just glorious, this SHOULD have been a single.

I’m Addicted
Euphoric & forgive the pun addictive, full of infectious beats, amazing futuristic sound, slick production & fun lyrics, which gets a bit poetic at times. Now this should have been the lead single, as not only is this a solid number, but it gives you a better idea of what the album is all about.

Turn Up the Radio
This is bright, glossy and fun with a nice 80’s retro feel to it. Upon the album’s release I remember a lot of people hyped this as a single, but personally I didn’t see it, as this feels very throwaway as Madonna isn’t able to put her unique stamp on it, mainly due to the relentless production. But overall, it’s pleasant enough, but there were far stronger single choices than this.

Give Me All Your Luvin’
This will probably go down in history as Madonna’s WORST ever lead single as not only does it fail to go anywhere interesting despite being aided by a fun 60’s surf guitar & solid electronic beats. But it lacks authenticity & the rap verses by Nicki Minaj & M.I.A. feel very phoned in. For the first time this really felt like that Madonna was chasing trends, instead of setting them.

Some Girls
One of the hardest styled tracks on here with grinding electronic beats & some cool lyrics, but Madonna’s vocals are way too auto tuned to fully enjoy as the loud production pretty much drowns her out. Not one of my faves moments on here.

Superstar
A rather sweet breezy pop number with some nice background harmonies, but find the lyrics way too sappy, despite an okay big sounding chorus. However, I do commend the more friendlier dance-pop production than some of the other tracks on here, but overall this is a forgettable album filler moment.

I Don’t Give A
A somewhat welcomed relief after the last couple of filler tracks with this rather brash number with defiant electronic hip-hop beats with cool production & even Nicki’s Minaj’s rap is far stronger here than it was on the lead single, as she spits out one of her most ferocious features in ages. A fun track overall.

I’m a Sinner
A catchy happy sexy psychedelic 60’s-inspired song with bouncing drum beats & swinging guitar riffs. A pretty decent album track, nothing more.

Love Spent
A very nice surprise, it’s not quite a ballad, not quite a banger, but a great track all round with an interesting mix of banjos, strings & electro beats & top-notch production by William Orbit with some gorgeous vocals by Madonna. My only slight complaint that it may be a little too auto tuned, but other than that, a firm standout.

Masterpiece
The first actual ballad on here & it’s simply stunning with its poetic lyrics and gorgeous orchestration, with haunting yet touching melodies & some strong yet pure vocals by Madonna that we haven’t heard in a long time. This is one of Madonna’s best ballads in over a decade & deserved so much more success than it got. An underrated gem.

Falling Free
The final track on the standard edition & it’s a wonderful album closer with Madonna delivering unexpectedly rich vocals above tender orchestral production and light electronic textures that ends things in a classy style.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 3rd February 2021, 12:06 PM
Post #32
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

There are some actually really good songs on this album, it's just bogged down with others which are... not so good.

+Quote this post
vibe
post 3rd February 2021, 04:44 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Everyone loved GB apart form the record company sad.gif

+Quote this post
ChrisJK
post 9th February 2021, 06:43 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 122,015

So I listened to B-Day Song for the first time ever today.
What in the name of anything is that? I couldn't get through the whole song.

I coulda happily gone the rest of my life without hearing that...

I'm sure it must have been intended as a tongue in cheek kinda song but that actual took up room on a Madonna album.

You know... that woman who wrote Like a Prayer and Vogue.

I'll stop now.

+Quote this post
Nina West
post 9th February 2021, 09:16 PM
Post #35
Group icon

The run of singles from this era, should have went...

I'm Addicted
Gang Bang
Masterpiece
I Don't Give A (ft Nicki Minaj)

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 10th February 2021, 07:14 PM
Post #36
Group icon
User: 13,007

QUOTE(CJK @ Feb 9 2021, 06:43 PM) *
So I listened to B-Day Song for the first time ever today.
What in the name of anything is that? I couldn't get through the whole song.

I coulda happily gone the rest of my life without hearing that...

I'm sure it must have been intended as a tongue in cheek kinda song but that actual took up room on a Madonna album.

You know... that woman who wrote Like a Prayer and Vogue.

I'll stop now.

tearsmile.gif

It is certainly remained her worst ever track for me for some time. I think 'Autotune Baby' overtook it but both are horrendous stains on her discography puke.gif

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 11th February 2021, 08:06 AM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I do find 'B-Day Song' quite catchy but I'm well aware it's not a great song and absolutely should not have been on the album. I'm guessing it was recorded in jest, a bit of goofing around between album sessions, but that's how it should have stayed. We've talked about it before on the forum that it's such a shame M.I.A. was wasted on this and a bit-part on the lead single.

'Autotune Baby' is definitely worse though, I can't even make it passed the first 10 seconds.

QUOTE(vibe @ Feb 2 2021, 04:21 PM) *
best friend and beautiful killer are better than some album tracks !

Agreed, as is 'I Fucked' Up'. I really don't understand why these were sidelined when you've got 'Superstar' on the main edition.

QUOTE(Nina West @ Feb 9 2021, 09:16 PM) *

LOVE this!! heart.gif

+Quote this post
Qween
post 11th February 2021, 08:48 AM
Post #38
Group icon
Schlagerdrottningen
User: 11,709

MDNA is odd because individually it has a lot of good tracks, certainly more so than Hard Candy, and isn't just a landfill like Rebel Heart, but overall it's still probably her 'worst' album because it lacks any ARTISTRY. I loved it at the time, but I only really go back to I'm Addicted and I f***ed Up now.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 11th February 2021, 09:04 AM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I think you hit the nail on the head when you say it lacks artistry. A post-divorce Madonna album should have been fantastic but there's a massive lack of focus and care, particularly a lack of care in the post-production which spoils even the better songs on the album. I think it's fair to say that this album was released just so she could go on tour again which she desperately needed to do to cover the costs of her film W.E. - she even says in an interview that she had gone straight from working on the film to working on new music and implied that what she really wanted to do was have a break and spend time with her kids. The lack of promo for the album speaks volume too.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 26th February 2021, 07:43 PM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I've decided on my preferred tracking list for the album:

01. Girl Gone Wild
02. Gang Bang
03. I'm Addicted
04. Some Girls
05. I Don't Give A (ft. Nicki Minaj)
06. Love Spent
07. Beautiful Killer
08. I Fucked Up
09. Best Friend
10. Masterpiece
11. Falling Free

Makes much more sense sound wise as well as trimming the crap. Have some proper mixing/mastering and it's a decent collection.

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 09:16 PM