BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Tory MP invents death threat
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Suedehead2
post Dec 15 2015, 09:18 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
If you have the good fortune not to live in Telford, you may be unaware of the existence of Lucy Allan. She won the seat in May by a majority of just 730 votes, thus giving the previous Labour MP the chance to move somewhere nicer.

Like most MPs, she receives a lot of correspondence from her constituents, not all of it polite. After she voted in favour of extending the anti-ISIS bombing campaign to Syria, she received a rant from a constituent using a pseudonym. She chose to make this rant public, including publishing the pseudonym, thereby linking to the constituent’s Facebook account. However, before publishing it, she added three words - “unless you die”, giving the impression that the constituent had issued a death threat.

The constituent (who turned out to be the son of a Labour councillor) noticed this and protested. Allan has tried to cover up the mess she created and has not issued an apology, either to the individual constituent (who she has called a “creepy stalker”, using his real name to do so), or to all her constituents for misleading them. She has also not apologised for the fact that her post could have triggered a police enquiry into a completely innocent man.

If a Labour MP had done this, it would surely have been all over the papers for the last few days. As it is, the story has been largely ignored. That hasn’t stopped Allan coming up with more self-serving rubbish, including claims that she is somehow being mistreated by people trying to raise the profile of the story. It seems that nobody at Tory Central Office has issued the simple piece of advice “When you’re in a hole, stop digging”. There also seems to be no question of her having the Tory whip withdrawn. It looks like yet another case of the Tories just hoping the story will go away.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Dec 15 2015, 10:14 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
typical Tory then. Obviously people should be measured in what they say to MP's, though blunt, but I would have thought that publishing contravenes the data protection laws unless there is a police case to answer. I would suggest the police should be making enquiries about MP's publishing details of constituents expressing an opinion and falsifying statements into the bargain. Of course as she works for the government the Police, who are dependant on ongoing money cutbacks, will do nothing of the sort.....

Pretty sure that if I had done that, as a local government employee, I would be sacked on the spot. When people get heated up and say outrageous things we don't go online and tell everyone about it, we tell them we will put the phone down if they continue in that fashion (and we invariably are dealing with anger as a result of Tory party policy)...

Hypocrisy, thy name is Tory.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post Dec 15 2015, 10:18 PM
Post #3
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561
Is she the evil looking one who was on C4 news last night? She categorically denied making up the death threat when questioned by Jon Snow.

+Quote this post
Silas
post Dec 15 2015, 10:23 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474
If this was the SNP this would be on the cover of every paper in the country with round the clock coverage on TV.

This is utterly despicable and this psycho should be sacked. She is not fit to be a member of parliament. If i was that constituent I would sue for slander and drag that crazy through the press.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Dec 15 2015, 11:00 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Silasaurous Rex @ Dec 15 2015, 10:23 PM) *
If this was the SNP this would be on the cover of every paper in the country with round the clock coverage on TV.

This is utterly despicable and this psycho should be sacked. She is not fit to be a member of parliament. If i was that constituent I would sue for slander and drag that crazy through the press.

Assuming he can afford it.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Dec 15 2015, 11:09 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Dec 15 2015, 10:18 PM) *
Is she the evil looking one who was on C4 news last night? She categorically denied making up the death threat when questioned by Jon Snow.

From what I've seen today, yes she has been on C4 news. One of her stories is that the death threat was included in a missive from a different constituent. If she had said so in her initial post, she might actually have had public sympathy on her side. As it is, she is making herself look an utter fool. I still find it hard to believe that she wasn't advised / ordered to issue a statement as soon as she was found out. If she had said something along the lines of

In my original post, I combined two separate communications from two different people. Regrettably, I didn't make that clear. I wish to apologise to "Name of constituent" for implying that he issued the death threat. I accept his assertion that he would never wish death on anyone and accept full responsibility for any threatening messages he has received as a result of my error. I would also like to apologise to my constituents for misleading them.

then I'm sure most people would have accepted it. However, she didn't. As so often with stories like this (involving politicians of all parties), the attempted cover-up is arguably worse than the original offence.

+Quote this post
Qassändra
post Dec 15 2015, 11:15 PM
Post #7
Group icon
DROTTNING!
User: 480
QUOTE(Silasaurous Rex @ Dec 15 2015, 11:23 PM) *

I mean, it's not as if that's happened with Natalie McGarry or Michelle Thomson, so I don't think that'd be the case.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Dec 15 2015, 11:22 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
QUOTE(Qassändra @ Dec 15 2015, 11:15 PM) *
I mean, it's not as if that's happened with Natalie McGarry or Michelle Thomson, so I don't think that'd be the case.

They both lost the party whip pretty quickly. I'm sure we would have heard far more if the SNP hadn't acted quickly. Of course, I don't know how much coverage these two have received north of the border.

+Quote this post
Silas
post Dec 16 2015, 07:01 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474
QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Dec 15 2015, 11:22 PM) *
They both lost the party whip pretty quickly. I'm sure we would have heard far more if the SNP hadn't acted quickly. Of course, I don't know how much coverage these two have received north of the border.

The branch offices are still banging on about it.

The scummy papers like the wail and the express bleat on about it but the sensible press is over it after the whip was withdrawn super quick.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:59 PM