BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Eurovision Rule Change Announced, Changes announced to ensure Eurovision comes "back for good"
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Colm
post 19th June 2020, 07:02 AM
Post #1
Group icon
Yes, it's me.
User: 9,885

"The rules of the Eurovision Song Contest have been amended to ensure that there WILL be a Eurovision Song Contest on 18, 20 and 22 May 2021, and for many years to come, whatever the global circumstances.

https://eurovision.tv/story/changes-announc...s-back-for-good

A few things to note

They make all these claims about changes to ensure that the context will go ahead and then don't speak about any of them? The backing vocalist change (detailed in on the site) has next to zero impact on the contest going ahead during a disruptive pandemic, should another one arise in 2021 or if this current pandemic remains unresolved and restrictions are brought back in.

Secondly, the backing singer rule change.

"The idea behind the change is to offer participating broadcasters the possibility to explore new creative ideas, to travel with a smaller delegation for 2021 and reduce the technical burdens on the Host Broadcaster.
It also allows songwriters and producers to present their work as close as possible to their original composition and, importantly, ensures the Contest moves with the times."

Why are they implying that being as "close as possible to their original composition" is desirable when the "original composition" is the product of a studio recording?

I am not entirely happy about this rule and I also resent them announcing it under the guise of ensuring that the contest goes ahead next year.

This post has been edited by Colm: 19th June 2020, 07:04 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Slick
post 19th June 2020, 08:39 AM
Post #2
Group icon
electric butterflies
Pronouns: he/him
User: 70

I found too when reading their announcement that they didn't really announce anything. I still don't really understand what changes they've made to guarantee that the contest can go ahead - other than allowing backing singers to pre-record their parts (reducing the size of each delegation if necessary.) That seems small fry though.

+Quote this post
Colm
post 19th June 2020, 08:52 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Yes, it's me.
User: 9,885

Yes. It's a total non-story.

+Quote this post
*Tim
post 19th June 2020, 10:52 AM
Post #4
Group icon
Bitch of t seet
User: 16,660

This seems a lot of big talk, with no substance
They cannot force a nation to hold a contest during a global disaster, whether that be a pandemic or something else. Priorities and all

+Quote this post
Voodoo
post 19th June 2020, 12:36 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 5,829

The problem is not with the delegations, but with the huge crowd in the arena. wacko.gif

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 14th October 2020, 12:39 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

It's a non event announcement,,the audience is a bigger problem than reducing delegations. This year I thought they might have shown the winning performances of the songs from each country and the voting could go ahead. That concept could yet happen in 2021. At most I can see a very very small audience been allowed into the finals.

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 16th October 2020, 08:51 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

QUOTE(Feel_The_Fever @ Oct 14 2020, 01:39 AM) *
It's a non event announcement,,the audience is a bigger problem than reducing delegations. This year I thought they might have shown the winning performances of the songs from each country and the voting could go ahead. That concept could yet happen in 2021. At most I can see a very very small audience been allowed into the finals.

One of the problems this year was insurance. If an event vaguely resembling a proper contest had happened (e.g. showing winning performances from the selection process or an equivalent for countries like the UK which didn't really have a selection process) then the insurers could have argued that the contest hadn't been cancelled and refused to pay out. Next year's insurance policies will be written with Covid in mind.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 21st October 2020, 06:59 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

That makes sense about the insurance and could explain why they had to cancel.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 10:43 PM