BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News
34 Pages V  « < 30 31 32 33 34 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Madame X ● 14th Studio Album
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post Nov 1 2019, 02:34 PM
Post #621
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

A shame that a discount can only get it to scrape the first midweeks but I guess there's still not much incentive to buy an album on the cheap if you don't know what it sounds like from radio play or promotion.

I'd even take I Rise being sent to radio worldwide if they insist in pushing remixes and vinyl releases for it. The mind boggles why only one song was sent to radio.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tommie
post Nov 1 2019, 03:11 PM
Post #622
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Banned
Member No.: 8,073

Yeah, I think it's pretty dumb of them not to try and send out another single to radio in the UK at least given she probably has a guarantueed playlisting on Radio 2.

Considering Radio 2's older audience it would at least help her shift a few more physical copies.

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Nov 1 2019, 06:25 PM
Post #623
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,007

I really wish they followed a normal release strategy and sent a few songs to radio like they seem to have done in Italy sad.gif so much wasted potential!

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Nov 3 2019, 06:39 PM
Post #624
BuzzJack Idol

Totally agree. An artist like Madonna really thrives from airplay and it's such a shame the public aren't getting to hear this music.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Nov 5 2019, 08:43 PM
Post #625
BuzzJack Idol

Madame X has been placed among the best albums of the decade on Albumism:

Madonna’s radically adventurous and globally-inspired Madame X polarized fans and critics for good reason. It’s her least accessible album, but it’s also up there with the best she’s ever made. Including language barriers (“Medellín”, “Faz Gostoso”), disparate musical genres (“Crave” vs. “Batuka”), and lyrics that ignite controversy (“God Control”, “Killers Who Are Partying”), Madame X was not for the casual Madonna fan that rolled their eyes at the Hebrew vibes of “Isaac” on 2005’s Confessions on a Dance Floor. Years from now, we’ll look back on Madame X as the Madonna album that’s most closely aligned with the real Madonna Louise Veronica Ciccone, and one of her most artistically audacious and authentic offerings.

https://www.albumism.com/lists1/110-best-al...adonna-madame-x

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Nov 20 2019, 12:36 PM
Post #626
BuzzJack Idol

Madame X places among Junkee's 25 most underrated albums of the decade:

I get it: there’s just so much stuff out there. It’s impossible to keep track of all of the records that the critics are crying from the rafters about, let alone just getting down to the work of seeking out stuff that aligns with your own very niche taste. But still, there was no reason for us all to have ignored Madame X, the new record from Madonna. This is no late-career lip-service to a legacy; this is a new formulation of it, a bold restatement of purpose. We take Madge for granted sometimes, and that’s a problem.

https://junkee.com/underrated-albums-decade/229127

+Quote Post
aeroco
post Nov 21 2019, 09:28 AM
Post #627
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 2,392
   No Gallery Pics

Ordered the black vinyl on amazon for £14.99 yesterday, arrives today. Bargain.

Was tempted by the rainbow vinyl but then read somewhere it was a bit of a disappointing edition.

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Nov 25 2019, 04:35 PM
Post #628

A bit of drama unfolding with the album writing credits!

Madonna has been accused of failing to credit and pay a songwriter on her 2019 album Madame X.

Casey Spooner, a member of the recently disbanded electronic pop group Fischerspooner, wrote on Instagram that he was co-writer of the track God Control. “I have had enough … I’ve gotten no credit and no compensation … while you’re galavanting around on stage I’m completely broke in Berlin. Robbed, ignored and delayed.”

Spooner said he had been offered first $10,000, then $25,000 as an advance against future publishing royalties, but argued he should instead be paid “1% of touring profits … There is no money in record sales. Period. Not even for Madonna.” In a later Instagram post, he said: “They are trying to intimidate me … it’s not easy fighting giants.”

Spooner says he worked with God Control producer Mirwais in 2017, for the latter’s solo album, which was later shelved. Elements of their work together later appeared in the Madonna track without his knowledge. He posted a demo version of God Control that he worked on, which features the same lyrics and melody as the Madonna track.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/nov/...gwriting-credit

If true, which I believe it is, he deserves the recognition and money! Especially as it's an album highlight and one of the biggest talking points from the era ~

+Quote Post
No Sleeep
post Nov 25 2019, 07:18 PM
Post #629
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 22,008
   No Gallery Pics

Nah he is being greedy. Even $10k was a generous offer. His contribution to the song is negligible. Asking for 1% of tour profits is outrageous... imagine if every writer asked for 1% of tour profits!!

+Quote Post
vibe
post Nov 26 2019, 05:57 PM
Post #630
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

He won’t get tour profits. But his demo is identical all the way through to first chorus . It was Mirwais who f***ed him over not Madonna.

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Nov 26 2019, 09:18 PM
Post #631

^ agree with both points! I am not a lawyer but I can't see how the touring should profit him so hugely... unsure.gif

+Quote Post
No Sleeep
post Nov 26 2019, 11:24 PM
Post #632
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 22,008
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(vibe @ Nov 26 2019, 05:57 PM) *
He won’t get tour profits. But his demo is identical all the way through to first chorus . It was Mirwais who f***ed him over not Madonna.

From my understanding he just translated it and slightly tweaked the melody, Mirwais came up with everything else

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Dec 4 2019, 07:26 PM
Post #633

Giving this album a full listen this evening for the first time in a while. It still pops off hard *.*

+Quote Post
Jordanlee
post Dec 4 2019, 07:57 PM
Post #634
Jord
Member No.: 27,116

I might listen to this on my way to work tomorrow morning I was falling asleep today so this’ll wake me up laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Dec 10 2019, 10:35 PM
Post #635
BuzzJack Idol

Listed among Billboard staff's favourite albums of 2019:

46. Madonna, Madame X

After two albums of Madonna sounding like she was largely playing catch-up to mainstream trends (2012's EDM-courting MDNA and 2015's collaborator-stuffed Rebel Heart), the pop GOAT decided to go back to blazing her own trail, and not looking over her shoulder at how many were following her lead. Top 40 and streaming audiences might not have been particularly amenable to her genre-hopping free-for-all, but longtime fans found plenty to chew on in the set's unpredictable excursions -- including a Walter Carlos-like dip into synthified Tchaikovsky in "Dark Ballet," a Random Access Memories-worthy prog-disco odyssey in "God Control," and a welcome return to Latin pop in the breezy Maluma team-ups "Medellín" and "Bitch I'm Loca." Madge can rest assured that anyone still trekking along with her at this point is in for the long haul, and excited as ever for what twists and turns lay ahead. -- ANDREW UNTERBERGER

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/lis...-of-2019-top-50

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Dec 13 2019, 10:54 AM
Post #636
BuzzJack Idol

#12 on Slant Magazine's top albums of 2019:

12. Madonna, Madame X
With their naïve—some might say crude—expressions of bloody-hearted empathy, there’s something almost Björkian about songs such as “God Control” and “Killers Who Are Partying.” English is, of course, Madonna’s first language, and lyrics like “I’ll be Africa/If Africa is shut down” are received with less generosity when one’s claws are already out. We expect pop stars to stay in their lane, but Madonna is at heart a rock auteur, with all of the inclinations toward upending the status quo and expressing a singular vision that designation implies. Inspired by her time living in Lisbon, where she was surrounded by musicians and art in a way she hadn’t been since her pre-fame days in the East Village, Madame X plays like a musical memoir, sometimes literally: “I came from the Midwest/Then I went to the Far East/I tried to discover my own identity,” she sings on “Extreme Occident.” The album is far from her creative zenith, but it’s her most fearless effort in at least 15 years—the sound of an artist who’s got no more f***s to give. Sal Cinquemani

One place above Bruce too. A tad backhanded with the compliments but at least it's recognised as one of the top albums of the year - it's sadly been snubbed from most lists. sad.gif

Full 25 albums here: https://www.slantmagazine.com/features/the-...albums-of-2019/

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Dec 17 2019, 01:25 PM
Post #637
BuzzJack Idol

Fourth most discussed album of 2019 on Metacritic, behind Taylor Swift, Lana Del Rey and Camila Cabello, and the third most shared, behind James Blake and Billie Eilish.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Jan 7 2020, 07:29 AM
Post #638
BuzzJack Idol

Madame X was the seventh best selling album of 2019 in the UK! On cassette, that is.

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/t...of-2019__28101/

+Quote Post
vibe
post Jan 7 2020, 01:50 PM
Post #639
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Haha that is bad going she did release two versions tho.

+Quote Post
vibe
post Jan 23 2020, 04:02 PM
Post #640
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

How many sales do we think Madame X has achieved in the UK ?

+Quote Post

34 Pages V  « < 30 31 32 33 34 >
Closed TopicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:11 PM