BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Liam's EOY 2017, 130 songs // 20 albums
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liаm
post 29th November 2017, 10:47 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

It's that time of year again, I've selected my favourite music of 2017 to share in this thread ohmy.gif First up are the album, here are a few that jst missed out on the all important top 20!

Stormzy – Gang Signs & Prayer
A real surprise for me as I didn't expect to love a grime album, it does a brilliant job of feeling accessible but still true to the genre.

Tina Arena – Greatest Hits & Interpretations
A great retrospective of someone I underrated *.*

Ed Sheeran – Divide
It was annoying that this era was everywhere but actually it's a decent album if not a patch on X which was one of my fave albums of 2014.

Grace Vanderwaal – Just The Beginning
Her voice ca nbe a bit grating at times, but this album is really well written and produced with solid bops, what more do we need tbh

Jessica Mauboy – The Secret Daughter Series 2
I refuse to give her actual credit until she releases another proper album (4 years and waiting.....) but this has some fab covers as well as Then I Met You and Fallin' as originals that slay (well Fallin' doesn't really slay but it's nice to have anything original tbh).

Thomas Rhett – Life Changes
One of the exceptions for male country being awful, his voice is as sexy as his face and this is his best album yet!

Little Big Town – The Breaker
Better Man left a bit too much to live up to but rest assured this is much better than last year's Wanderlust which was one of the worst albums of 2016...

Tove Lo – Blue Lips
A bit patchy but when it's on it's on! She's just gone full bonkers and I can't really complain tbh.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 30th November 2017, 12:41 PM
Post #2
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666

I've heard Gang Sign And Prayers and Divide. The former was pretty good, whilst I found the latter to be merely okay

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 30th November 2017, 02:22 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Stormzy's album was alright, Blinded By Your Grace is the real highlight for me though!

Divide has some good songs, and some not-so-good songs tongue.gif Like the range of genres as well!

Only heard Moonlight from Grace but I quite like it, I like the indie feel and her voice reminds me of someone else but I've no idea who it is sad.gif I didn't realise she was only 13 though! ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 30th November 2017, 06:31 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

20 Khalid - American Teen
UK peak: #47
US peak: #4
Highlights: Location, American Teen, Young Dumb & Broke

Kicking us off is one of the hot new stars of the year, US R&B singer Khalid. He supported Lorde when I saw her in London and was brilliant, his lyrics are great and I love his voice. It took me a while to come round to him but one I did and heard the album I loved it!

19 Demi Lovato - Tell Me You Love Me
UK peak #5
US peak: #3
Highlights: Tell Me You Love Me, Sorry Not Sorry, Cry Baby

This is Demi's weakest offring to date, but that's because her standard is set so high! She seems to have found a lane here, as her voice bursts with soul which is the overarching sounf of the album. It's very cohesive and a solid listen but it lacks the huge highlights of her other albums imo.

18 Lights - Skin & Earth
UK peak: N/A
US peak: #95
Highlights: Savage, Giants, Fight Club

Lights never fails to imress however much she hops between genres on her albums, and whatever she does maintains the same quality and its all quintessentually here. The huge highlight here is the rock epic Savage, featuring Josh from 21 Pilots on drums, but the poppier moments like the huge single Giants are triumphs also.

17 Jessie Ware - Glasshouse
UK peak: #7
US peak: N/A
Highlights: Alone, Your Domino, First Time

Queen of sexy soulful vocals *.* As always this is a brilliantly cohesive album from Jessie, all atmospheric and soulful with even cliched songs like Sam her voice lights them up to sound so magical <3

16 Kelsea Ballerini - Unapologetically
UK peak: #50
US peak: #7
Highlights: Miss Me More, Legends, High School

Finishing off this section is a country princess, one who has been tipped as the new Taylor Swift by fans. I don't quite think she'll manage that, but Miss You More definitely harks back to Red with its huge pop production. She's got that teenage crush wonder to a lot of her songs that Taylor had, so if you like country Taylor then you'll like this!

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 30th November 2017, 06:32 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

QUOTE(DalekTurret32 @ Nov 30 2017, 12:41 PM) *
I've heard Gang Sign And Prayers and Divide. The former was pretty good, whilst I found the latter to be merely okay

Yaass GSAP

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Nov 30 2017, 02:22 PM) *
Stormzy's album was alright, Blinded By Your Grace is the real highlight for me though!

Divide has some good songs, and some not-so-good songs tongue.gif Like the range of genres as well!

Only heard Moonlight from Grace but I quite like it, I like the indie feel and her voice reminds me of someone else but I've no idea who it is sad.gif I didn't realise she was only 13 though! ohmy.gif

I know what you mean, I guess a lot of people have that weird sort of voice laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 30th November 2017, 08:07 PM
Post #6
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

Hiya Liam!

Fab start to the top 20 with Jessie Ware and Demi Lovato!! I think this could become my favourite Jessie Ware album yet with a bit more time, the highs are so high. The likes of "Your Domino", "Selfish Love" and "Sam" are some of her best ever for me.

I love the Demi album too, interesting to see you call it her weakest and it's actually the only album of hers that I've heard before so I'd probably love her others too. I usually find her a bit hit and miss in terms of singles but she's been hit after hit for me this era ohmy.gif wub.gif

Lovely stuff so far cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 1st December 2017, 01:20 AM
Post #7
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

QUOTE(Josh! @ Nov 30 2017, 08:07 PM) *
Hiya Liam!

Fab start to the top 20 with Jessie Ware and Demi Lovato!! I think this could become my favourite Jessie Ware album yet with a bit more time, the highs are so high. The likes of "Your Domino", "Selfish Love" and "Sam" are some of her best ever for me.

I love the Demi album too, interesting to see you call it her weakest and it's actually the only album of hers that I've heard before so I'd probably love her others too. I usually find her a bit hit and miss in terms of singles but she's been hit after hit for me this era ohmy.gif wub.gif

Lovely stuff so far cheer.gif

Tbh if you found he singles hit and miss you might be the same with her albums, TMYLM is so different to them :lol But I'd still reccomend the self titled at least!

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 1st December 2017, 01:28 AM
Post #8
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835

I actually disagree about the Demi album to me its one of her strongest albums I mean "Sorry Not Sorry", "Tell Me You Love Me", "Run The Friendship" "Sexy Dirty Love" "You Don't Do It For Me Anymore" "Daddy Issues" "Lonely" all fab wub.gif

Also I echo the love for Jessie Ware's album even if it is my least fave of hers. However the two albums before it are just that high standard sad.gif

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 1st December 2017, 01:45 AM
Post #9
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

I still need to listen to Grace's album and Stormzy was def a surprise for me as well!

Unapologetically and TMYLM are my faves in the top 20 so far <3 the former is a fab country album (put me in the new Taylor Swift by fans category kink.gif) and I prefer TMLYM a lot more to confident! My highlights from TMYLM are the same as yours *.*

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 1st December 2017, 01:47 AM
Post #10
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

15 Julia Michaels – Nervous System
US peak: #48
Highlights: Issues, Pink, Worst In Me

Issues is one of t he best songs of the year, so I was always gonna be excited for more from Julia! This was only an EP, but it showed her worth as an artist for sure, from the Liz Phair vibes of Uh-Huh to inneundos ahoy in the banger Pink, it's all very different but still all so her.

14 Trixie Mattel – Two Birds
UK peak: N/A (#5 on Country Albums)
US peak: N/A (#2 on Heatseekers)
Highlights: Mama Don't Make Me Put On The Dress Again, I Know You All Over Again, Seen My Man

Really only 6 tracks long (and a demo), this is another EP but a stellar country album! It's nothing more than that but sometimes it's all you need - a brilliantly written, authentic country album. That's really not what you expect from a Drag Race alumni, but there's no end to the talents of the most hilarious Drag Race queen ever.

13 Bebe Rexha - All Your Fault Pt I
US peak: #51
Highlights: I Got You, F.F.F., Bad Bitch

Three EPs in a row, clearly a stellar year for actual albums x Bebe needs to get her ass in gear with an actual album of bangers, but this was a fab way to tide us over! F.F.F. has such attitude and should have been able to shine as a single, but I Got You was a fab lead and should've smashed. Ofc the less said about the abject horror of most of Pt II the better x

12 Vera Blue - Perennial
US peak: N/A
Highlights: Lady Powers, Private, Regular Touch

Aussie indie queen *.* I really fell like if she was pushed WW, she could one of the indie girls with a big fanbase like Marina, Lorde or Melanie. There's smething so effortlessly cool about her amazingly produced songs, she can do subtle as well as bangers. I definitely reccomend this if you like the aforementioned, although it's not as "quirky" as Melanie or Marina can be.

11 P!nk - Beautiful Trauma
UK peak: #1
US peak: #1
Highlights: Beautiful Trauma, What About Us, Secrets

Just missing the top 10 is queen of eternal relevance Pink! She nabbed another transatlantic #1 album with this and a huge smash with its lead, and followed it up with another great album. It can get a bit samey in places but the highs are so high and the whole package is so solid as well, from the bangers to the ballads Pink always brings the vox to carry pretty much anything.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 1st December 2017, 01:48 AM
Post #11
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

QUOTE(MerryFlynnmas @ Dec 1 2017, 01:28 AM) *
I actually disagree about the Demi album to me its one of her strongest albums I mean "Sorry Not Sorry", "Tell Me You Love Me", "Run The Friendship" "Sexy Dirty Love" "You Don't Do It For Me Anymore" "Daddy Issues" "Lonely" all fab wub.gif

Also I echo the love for Jessie Ware's album even if it is my least fave of hers. However the two albums before it are just that high standard sad.gif

Ew You Don't Do It For Me

QUOTE(UltraReputation @ Dec 1 2017, 01:45 AM) *
I still need to listen to Grace's album and Stormzy was def a surprise for me as well!

Unapologetically and TMYLM are my faves in the top 20 so far <3 the former is a fab country album (put me in the new Taylor Swift by fans category kink.gif) and I prefer TMLYM a lot more to confident! My highlights from TMYLM are the same as yours *.*

You'll love Grace's album *.*

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post 1st December 2017, 01:49 AM
Post #12
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

Nervous system is SO good *.* a fab EP and I'm so hyped for a full album from Julia <3 Pink is such a bop *.*
F.F.F./I Got You are easily the best songs Bebe has released this year <3
Beautiul Trauma is also fab and I pretty much agree with what you wrote!

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 1st December 2017, 02:00 AM
Post #13
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835

I think my favourites are for sure the Bebe Rexha EP (F.F.F not being a massive hit will always annoy me) and P!nk's album is beautiful wub.gif Obssessed with the title track atm wub.gif

I still havent heard the other's in full yet but I need to!

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 1st December 2017, 02:07 AM
Post #14
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

10 Kelly Clarkson - Meaning Of Life
UK peak: #11
US peak: #2

Top 5:
01 Move You
02 Love So Soft
03 I Don't Think About You
04 Medicine
05 Heat

I went into this with low expecttions, oops at me hating Love So Soft at first x When it came though, I can see that this is the album Kelly was yearning to make. I might miss the pop-rck bangers but her voice shines on each and every track, proving that she is one of THE vocalists of our generation <3 This is a really solid and cohesive listen as a whole project.

09 Charli XCX - Number 1 Angel
US peak: #175

Top 5:
01 3am (Pull Up)
02 Lipgloss
03 Roll WIth Me
04 ILY2
05 Dreamer

The only mixtape on this list ohmy.gif Despite not being an actual album, it's been well received by fans and critics alike, and is better than most albums released this year. With its PC Music influence, it was only going to shine, but it's pretty much wall to wall bangers and pop perfection.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 1st December 2017, 02:08 AM
Post #15
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

QUOTE(UltraReputation @ Dec 1 2017, 01:49 AM) *
Nervous system is SO good *.* a fab EP and I'm so hyped for a full album from Julia <3 Pink is such a bop *.*
F.F.F./I Got You are easily the best songs Bebe has released this year <3
Beautiul Trauma is also fab and I pretty much agree with what you wrote!

*.*

QUOTE(MerryFlynnmas @ Dec 1 2017, 02:00 AM) *
I think my favourites are for sure the Bebe Rexha EP (F.F.F not being a massive hit will always annoy me) and P!nk's album is beautiful wub.gif Obssessed with the title track atm wub.gif

I still havent heard the other's in full yet but I need to!

Bebe quotable queen

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post 4th December 2017, 12:47 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223

Kelly's album is surprisingly good, 'I Don't Think About You' is absolutely stunning.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 4th December 2017, 01:08 AM
Post #17
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

08 Kesha – Rainbow
UK peak: #4
US peak: #1

Top 5:
01 Praying
02 Learn To Let Go
03 Boots
04 Rainbow
05 Let 'Em Talk

The triumphant return of a warrior gets a triumphant placing here! After such a wait this album was definitely with it, even for Praying alone. We all knew Kesha's vocal was being undersold with her previous material, so this getting a Grammy nomination for Pop Vocal Album seals the triumph of this return. There's still lot of Kesha esque fun on this record, but at its core this album is so honest and heartfelt, its just the perfect album for someone who's been through what she has and come out of it so much stronger than before wub.gif

07 Paramore - After Laughter
UK peak: #4
US peak: #6

Top 5:
01 Fake Happy
02 Hard Times
03 Rose Coloured Boy
04 Told You So
05 26

Next up is one of my favourite bands, with a flawless new sound! After Still Into You and Ain't It Fun from the last album being huge (well, the latter in the US, ffs at the UK sleeping on it), it was a natural step for Paramore to go 80s and imbue this album with new wave sounds. From the bops like Hard Times to the crushingly honest lyrics of Fake Happy and the inspiration of 26, Hayley sounds like perfection on all of this and despite moving away from their usual sound it fits them so well and still feels perfect for them rather than a stretch or like they're selling out.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 4th December 2017, 01:08 AM
Post #18
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!

QUOTE(Jack @ Dec 4 2017, 12:47 AM) *
Kelly's album is surprisingly good, 'I Don't Think About You' is absolutely stunning.

I was a bit worried after Love So Soft took ages to grow but I shouldn't have doubted that her voice could do anything wub.gif

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 4th December 2017, 04:27 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Well After Laughter is one of the about 10 albums I've listened to all year tongue.gif Lots of good songs on there, quite a range of styles as well!

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 4th December 2017, 05:48 PM
Post #20
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

Love both of those two recent reveals wub.gif

I wasn't sure on the new transformation Kesha had undergone when I first heard "Praying" but the album made so much sense on the whole and you could tell she was so much happier making the music she wanted without being tied down to a particular producer. I do still prefer the more carefree party tracks like "Learn to Let Go" but there are some lovely ballads on there especially which really show off how talented she is *.*

After Laughter got a bit old fairly quickly for me but there are still some really big highlights on there that I love going back to. "Hard Times", "Fake Happy" and "Idle Worship" are the holy trinity for me heart.gif

+Quote this post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 12:21 AM