BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

243 Pages V  « < 151 152 153 154 155 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Robbie: Social Media Insta/Tweet/waffa
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Sydney11
post Oct 15 2019, 05:33 AM
Post #3041
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,135
Could be some sort of announcement Laura , Vloggie release day is usually Monday , could indeed be announcing the album . I read somewhere that a lot of artists are launching double albums at Xmas , must be the latest trend .
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post Oct 15 2019, 10:16 PM
Post #3042
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,265
To be honest - I keep forgetting he is releasing an album - it feels like he's done loads this year already.

Plus for me - Christmas only starts December 1st mad.gif

#Scrooge

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post Oct 15 2019, 10:19 PM
Post #3043
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I Love what Ayda's wearing.

That green suit though. Those shoes! wacko.gif

+Quote this post
elisabeth1974
post Oct 16 2019, 05:53 AM
Post #3044
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 25,575
Funny outfit for mid October in his side. I am really wondering how the Christmas Album will do as a lot of people had jumped on the wagon. If it would be 2001 he would sell millions, I am sure. These days...
I am wondering what of his plans he indicated will come true.
Las Vegas, I assume yes despite I am not sure how the money flows with it.
Some gigs private sure, some festivals maybe next year
It will be interesting to see how the musical will do.
Guy said in a very great interview in the German magazine 'Zeit'
https://www.zeit.de/kultur/musik/2019-10/gu...hreiber-musical
you need Google translater, where he says that he will concentrate on musicals and writes one with Lily Allen.
Maybe he will stay as MD for Rob, but I think that Rob moved on again song writing wise (but still they are friends sure)

It will also be interesting to see if Robbie will do the TV show.
I am curious for the next steps.

Oh and I would publish the UTR gig as DVD on small scale maybe like UTR CD's

+Quote this post
Lundi
post Oct 16 2019, 11:35 AM
Post #3045
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 81,936
UTR DVD is a really good idea. It would be the same like the CD, no pressure because of sales and they produce only the number they sell.

Maybe someone should propose this idea to Rob on the Chat?

+Quote this post
elisabeth1974
post Oct 16 2019, 02:34 PM
Post #3046
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 25,575
I am never in the chats or upfront

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post Oct 16 2019, 06:10 PM
Post #3047
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Laura130262 @ Oct 15 2019, 11:19 PM) *

I Love what Ayda's wearing.

That green suit though. Those shoes! wacko.gif

I wonder if it's an old summer video unsure.gif

I bet those shoes are Gucci or something & cost a fortune although I doubt they had to pay anything for the clothes , most celebs dont' have to pay for their 'going out' clobber

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post Oct 16 2019, 06:48 PM
Post #3048
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(elisabeth1974 @ Oct 16 2019, 06:53 AM) *
Funny outfit for mid October in his side. I am really wondering how the Christmas Album will do as a lot of people had jumped on the wagon. If it would be 2001 he would sell millions, I am sure. These days...
I am wondering what of his plans he indicated will come true.
Las Vegas, I assume yes despite I am not sure how the money flows with it.
Some gigs private sure, some festivals maybe next year
It will be interesting to see how the musical will do.
Guy said in a very great interview in the German magazine 'Zeit'
you need Google translater, where he says that he will concentrate on musicals and writes one with Lily Allen.
Maybe he will stay as MD for Rob, but I think that Rob moved on again song writing wise (but still they are friends sure)

It will also be interesting to see if Robbie will do the TV show.
I am curious for the next steps.

Oh and I would publish the UTR gig as DVD on small scale maybe like UTR CD's

Thanks for posting that link Elisabeth, I will post the article in English, hope it translates ok ...

Albums sales matter little these days to an established artist, most of the money comes from tours etc

Robbie I think likes to work with many people , seems to work for him & keeps his output fresh & interesting . I always think that Robbie is a very versatile individual which I really like, I wish he would sing more of his b-sides more often, I get tired of hearing the hits all the time at concerts & it;s one of the reasons I have not been for a while . I am looking forward to his Xmas album especially the fact that we will be getting some original songs smile.gif

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post Oct 16 2019, 07:09 PM
Post #3049
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
"If the milkman can whistle, it's a good song"

Guy Chambers knows what a world hit is all about. He was a songwriter for Robbie Williams. It was followed by a rift, failure, reconciliation. Now they are bringing a musical to the stage.

He's the one: Robbie Williams once said Guy Chambers is as much Robbie Williams as he is. He meant it in a musical sense.

Guy Chambers has a curious career as a songwriter. Completely unsuccessful until mid-30, he met Robbie Williams in 1997, who had just flown out of the boy band Take That. Two had found each other. They wrote millions of hits like " Angels ", "Millennium", "Rock DJ", " Eternity ", "Feel" - then Chambers flew out of the Williams Circus in 2002. He wrote good songs for many other singers. But they were not as big as those written with Williams.

Meanwhile, Chambers is 56 years old. Now long-reconciled Chambers and Williams have written the music together for the musical " The Boy in the Dress, " premiering on November 8 at the Royal Shakespeare Theater in Stratford-Upon-Avon. This interview took place in front of a piano concert by Chambers in Berlin.

Mister Chambers, how do you recognize a good song?

Guy Chambers: My mother always said, "If the milkman can whistle a song, it's a good song." I think this milk man test works. You should have a pop song after listening to it in your ear. Not the whole song, but at least one of the hooks, the catchy parts. Because good songs have more than one hook. Björn and Benny von Abba always said that a song should have at least five hooks. So: a pop song. When we talk about Bob Dylan, it's different. That's poetry, not pop music.

So it has to be simple and original?

Chambers: Original is difficult. To be original, you set yourself a high goal. I try that, of course. A few years ago, Robbie Williams and I wrote Party Like a Russian together, and I actually find the song original, I was very happy with it. Of course, the song was not a big hit. Probably because he was too original.

But as for the hooks ... Can there be too many of them in a song? Take Good Vibrations from the Beach Boys. Reasonable musicians would have made five songs out of it. Is there too much melody to whistle, where it becomes a show-off?

Chambers: A pop song can never have too many hooks. At Abba, there's even a hook in every bass line. Abba was something like Michelangelo for pop.

If Abba are the Michelangelo of Pop, who would you be?

Chambers: Hmmm.

The David Hockney of pop?

Chambers: I love David Hockney. But I would never compare with him. That would be a bit unpleasant, right?

You released the solo album Go Gently Into the Light this year for which you once again recorded the old songs written with Robbie Williams on the piano. How did you like the songs now? Sufficient hooks?

Chambers: I found things in the songs that I did not know were in there. Little musical secrets. If you omit all the original production around it and the voice, you realize that the songs often have a tremendous depth.

What are the big secrets of a Chambers Williams song?

Chambers: Many are similar to folk songs. They have a nice simplicity about them. Even if you play them on the piano without any frills or embellishments, they still work. I found that very welcome on the resumption. I already knew that the melodies and harmonies are strong, that's obvious. But I've changed some of the harmonies so that it does not get boring while listening.

You were a trained musician with a mixed career, a few records, a few band memberships when you met Robbie Williams. He was an ex-boyband member. Both of them were a pretty odd couple as a songwriting duo.

Chambers: It was perfect timing when we met. For me it was almost too late, I was about to give it up with the music. The roof of my apartment was leaking, it was raining, I could no longer afford my mortgage payments. I was already considering accepting a job as a music teacher. As a teenager, I had given guitar lessons to children and adults, so it would have been enough for a music teacher. Then came the call if I wanted to work with Robbie Williams. It was an act of God or something like that.

He saved you?

Chambers: He has. And I saved him. It was interdependence with us. True, he was in trouble, too. But he had the time on his side, he was only 22 years old, I was 34. It was part of the magic that we needed each other.

As his songwriting partner, you have contributed significantly to his rise as a solo artist. That must have been a nice ride in the first years.

Chambers: You can say that. The first five years were a pretty intense time. But I enjoyed the ride very much. It was exciting. We did not start on, well, not zero. But the beginnings were already manageable. Our first concert took place in a hall where perhaps 800 people fit. Five years later we played in football stadiums. That went very fast, at least I felt it that way. We did five albums together in time, we were on promotional trips or toured. It was hard work.

"The main pressure was not to bore Rob"

How was it then to write songs with Robbie Williams?

Chambers: Inspirational. I say this with the utmost respect as a songwriter: Rob is not only a great lyricist but also a great musician. He remembers great melodies in a very natural way. They just flow out of it, with no apparent effort. On top of that, when we shared writing, we knew that every new album would probably sell better than before. This is a nice incentive and very satisfying as a musician - when you know that there are people out there who like what you do. And they are waiting to hear something new. As an artist, you often feel like you're creating your stuff into a veritable void. But when you work with someone as famous and as good as Rob, there is no void.

Robbie Williams was for a while the most famous young man in Europe and Asia. The stories are all well-known.

Chambers: That might be true.

And then you sat together, the record company scrubbed with their feet, the next tour had to be planned, which had to be even bigger than before ... The conditions under which you both had to write new songs do not sound relaxed.

Chambers: The main pressure I felt was not to bore Rob with my ideas. Because he is bored very fast. If he does not feel a song, he gives up and deals with something else. The pressure was to inspire him.

What was he not excited about?

Chambers: At first, for example, Feel . I had already recorded and played back the song's backing track, and he found it depressing for a very long time. It's true, the music is relatively dark. I kept reminding Rob of the song, and he always replied, "He's really too depressing, I do not want to sing to it." At some point he did it, thank God. He wrote a text that suited the music. That's a big part of the secret of a good song anyway - magic does not come until the text matches the music.

So simple?

Chambers: So simple.

Paul McCartney recently joined Stephen Colbert, and Colbert asked McCartney what made him such a good songwriter. The answer was surprisingly simple: McCartney explained that he grew up in a very musical household.

Chambers: That's right, his dad played in a jazz band.

And at home were constantly playing records. The secret of McCartney would be that a good pop song taps the collective cultural memory. This also applies to many of the Williams Chambers songs. They remind you of something you think you know. Sometimes they are very clear paraphrases, at Millennium about the Bond song You Only Live Twice , at Supreme it is I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor. For other songs you do not know it exactly.

Chambers: Right, I like to play with nostalgia, no question. There are many references to the Beatles, including The Who. Let Me Entertain You, for example, is basically a direct mix of The Who and the Rolling Stones. At Better Man we tried to imitate John Lennon. Whether we succeeded in that is another question. Rob and I sometimes openly discussed this when we started, "Come on, let's write a Lennon ballad." So yes, there are always references to my own childhood. But I also listen to contemporary music and deliberately take on elements. So I will not be completely retro.

How do you, as a musician, once the success is there, with the fact that things at some point can not be increased, the success, for example? Does one then start to feel more strongly the repetitive nature of the musicianship - another album, another tour and so on?

Chambers: I can not speak for Robbie Williams. And I was not there on his numerically most successful tour, which was in 2006. Let's say this: I heard that it was a difficult tour. He did not handle the repetitive, as you say, very well. Two years ago, I was on tour again and it was difficult for Rob to have major back problems. Rob wants to be Roger Federer every night. And if he can not handle Federer, he'll be finished.

"Such a musical is really a complex thing"

In 2002 they were terribly divided. How was it for you to suddenly no longer belong to the circle?

Chambers:At first difficult. I did not digest my expulsion well. It was a real shock to suddenly be outside the Robbie Williams bubble. Because within this bubble it was pretty good, private planes, only the best hotels, cheering fans, tens of millions of record sales. I missed it all at the beginning, at the same time I felt freed. In 2000, my eldest daughter was born, and after a while, I realized how nice it was to be home and see my children grow up. I have four children and between 2002 and 2014 I was not on tour at all. Looking back, I am grateful: I have a fair relationship with my children, they know me as their father, who was always at home. Many other children can not say that. I consider it a blessing

And now you're working with Williams again. They both wrote the songs for a musical , the adaptation of the children's book The Boy in the Dress by David Walliams, the playwright Mark Ravenhill has written the stage version. In November is premiere. Excited?

Chambers: Actually, there is not much time left until the premiere, and frankly, everything is not quite ready yet. Such a musical is really a complex thing. There are very many trades involved, choreography, scenes, costumes ... But the cast is standing, the rehearsals are running. It will.

How does the music sound?

Chambers: There are references to Rob's first solo album, our first collaboration. When we wrote the new songs, we imagined that the musical plays in the nineties. We envisioned a time when there were no smartphones yet.

How did you come to the musical?

Chambers: David Walliams, who is almost as famous as Rob for his role on the comedy show Little Britain in the UK, came to my studio to record a duet for a Christmas show. Rather in passing, he said, "I'm doing this musical with the Royal Shakespeare Company, could you imagine joining in?" A short time later, I got a call. First I should write the music alone, but soon I realized that I needed Rob to do it. The music would get better, I could feel that when Rob and I wrote it together.

But you both do not appear in the production?

Chambers: No, no, no ... The musical is in a school, it's all about the kids. To be honest, the song is so good, it does not even need a performance by Robbie Williams.

What does a day in the life of a millionaire talker look like today, two decades later?

Chambers: I still write songs.

How exactly?

Chambers: I sit down at the piano and practice. After a while, the game bores me, then I start to improvise, and sometimes I think of something good. Then I go to my studio in Ladbroke Grove and record it. But most of the time the studio is rented, fortunately it's very popular in London.

And with other musicians as Robbie Williams you write no more songs?

Chambers: Not so common anymore, right. At the most when special opportunities arise, then it also feels exciting again.

You live in London, and Robbie Williams is still living in Los Angeles, right? He comes in then.

Chambers: He lives here and there. I can not say more.

So he comes from somewhere in your studio in London over.

Chambers: Exactly. We recorded a lot of his new album there.

That appears when?

Chambers: May I not say that. It will be announced as soon as it is time.

At what point do you see yourself as an artist today, Mr. Chambers?

Chambers: I consider myself someone who actually writes straight musicals in the first place. I'm also sitting with Lily Allen at one.

About which you are not allowed to say anything.

Chambers: Of course not. Except that it is something completely different than The Boy in the Dress . The musical with Lily Allen is much more modern, the music is more electronic. It has something dystopian. We have been working on it for about a year. It takes time. But yes, as an artist, I now deal with more comprehensive things; in musicals, you create your own world of music that has to last a whole evening. I like that. Songwriting is nice. But more than just songwriting is more beautiful.

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post Oct 16 2019, 07:11 PM
Post #3050
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
That is a really good interview Elisabeth, thanks again for the link , it translated just fine.

I would love a DVD of the UTR gig but not so sure will will get one, I think doing via Vloggies is cheaper laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post Oct 16 2019, 08:59 PM
Post #3051
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
That was so interesting. Thank you. I love Guy. My favourite Robbie songs are always with him.

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post Oct 17 2019, 06:43 PM
Post #3052
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post Oct 22 2019, 11:13 PM
Post #3053
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

https://www.instagram.com/p/B37S4qohK-F/?ig...Wmsk9l15fqt2COI

laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post Oct 23 2019, 06:41 PM
Post #3054
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post Oct 25 2019, 10:38 PM
Post #3055
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post Oct 26 2019, 03:10 PM
Post #3056
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Laura130262 @ Oct 25 2019, 11:38 PM) *

He's practicing for something unsure.gif

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post Oct 26 2019, 03:13 PM
Post #3057
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

He's in a Mercedes Viano ..

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post Oct 26 2019, 11:21 PM
Post #3058
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Sydney11 @ Oct 26 2019, 04:13 PM) *

He's in a Mercedes Viano ..

Must admit I haven't watched any of the live Insta's. They're so long - I just haven't got time anymore.

I'm sure if he says anything of any consequence it will be reported on FB. happy.gif

+Quote this post
Laura130262
post Oct 26 2019, 11:24 PM
Post #3059
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Sydney11
post Oct 27 2019, 10:51 AM
Post #3060
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Laura130262 @ Oct 26 2019, 11:21 PM) *
Must admit I haven't watched any of the live Insta's. They're so long - I just haven't got time anymore.

I'm sure if he says anything of any consequence it will be reported on FB. happy.gif

I am usually more observant of the surroundings Laura laugh.gif

+Quote this post

243 Pages V  « < 151 152 153 154 155 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:27 PM