BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Instant smashes or sleeper hits?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Instant smashes or sleeper hits?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 41
Guests cannot vote 
danG
post 3rd August 2019, 09:23 PM
Post #1
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

Which chart hits do you generally prefer at the moment - the ones that enter near the top and slay for weeks on end or those that slowly creep to their peak?

Current instant smashes include Señorita, I Don't Care, Bad Guy, Beautiful People, Hold Me While You Wait..
Current sleeper hits include Ladbroke Grove, 3 Nights, Higher Love, Castles, Ritual..

For me it has to be the sleeper hits, they're usually more interesting - and especially so in the current chart. I do love a good chart run with a nice climb too.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 3rd August 2019, 09:27 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116

Most of my favourite songs of this year have been the sleeper hits and of those hits I prefer the sleeper one definitely.

It changes though last year most of my favourite songs (Shallow aside) were all instant like smashes.

I like to see the odd song debut and enter at #1 though from time to time.

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post 4th August 2019, 12:57 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030

Sleeper hits for sure. It's great to see songs gradually climb and get more exposure and become big hits. A lot of the time sleeper hits are by lesser known artists, so it's great to see them do well.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 4th August 2019, 01:33 AM
Post #4
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

The sleeper hits do generally seem to be the more interesting songs! That said, in my personal chart, sleeper hits are pretty rare and most songs peak in week 1, or within about 3-4 weeks laugh.gif

+Quote this post
vidcapper
post 4th August 2019, 04:38 AM
Post #5
Group icon
Paul Hyett
User: 364

QUOTE(JosephAvery @ Aug 4 2019, 02:33 AM) *
The sleeper hits do generally seem to be the more interesting songs! That said, in my personal chart, sleeper hits are pretty rare and most songs peak in week 1, or within about 3-4 weeks laugh.gif

Sleeper hits are now at a significant disadvantage, in that they are more likely to have their progress curtailed by ACR.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 4th August 2019, 08:17 AM
Post #6
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

Sleeper hits, because they are usually by lesser known or growing artists, or one-hit wonders, and have become hits entirely because of the quality of the song fighting through the noise. There aren’t enough of them around for my liking.

The chart is mostly dominated by a handful of superstars these days whose singles in many cases smash initially on name power and instant playlist support and then their subsequent chart run determines if they are genuinely popular songs or not (Senorita, I Don’t Care, Vossi Bop - yes; Me!, Bounce Back - no). It is actually rare for these superstar singles to completely fail these days but you still cannot force a song to click with a disinterested public.

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 4th August 2019, 02:21 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

Much much prefer sleeper hits that build and build plus there chart runs are far more interesting.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 4th August 2019, 07:47 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

Sleeper hits for me because as people have mentioned in this era it's a bit like the pre 90s when big artists instantly peaked in the top 10/15 due to their fanbase and power to dictate airplay whereas songs like Dominic Fike or Kygo are songs that rise because they are genuinely popular with the public (I know the Whitney factor is at play in that song).

The sleeper hit artists want enough hits to enter instantly high in the future.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 12:47 AM