BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Pope issues child abuse warning
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
brian91
post 29th October 2006, 06:19 PM
Post #1
Group icon
You are a child of the universe
User: 78

The Pope has lectured bishops on the "urgent" need to prevent further child abuse scandals in the Roman Catholic Church and restore faith in the priesthood.
In his first public comments on the subject since becoming pontiff last year, he voiced his dismay at the "heart-rending" sexual abuse cases that had caused "deep wounds" to their victims and the public.
His remarks yesterday were delivered to a delegation of bishops from Ireland, where the Catholic Church has been severely hit by abuse scandals in the past 10 years.
advertisement
"In the exercise of your pastoral ministry, you have had to respond in recent years to many heart-rending cases of sexual abuse of minors," the Pope told them during an audience at the Vatican.
"These are all the more tragic when the abuser is a cleric," he said. "The wounds caused by such acts run deep, and it is an urgent task to rebuild confidence and trust where these have been damaged."
In Ireland, Mass attendance and applications for priesthood have plummeted since 1994, when the first serious scandal involving a paedophile priest triggered the collapse of the government of the then prime minister, Albert Reynolds.
As of last year, 5,300 complaints had been registered against Irish priests and 2,555 compensation payments worth £140 million had been made.
The Pope's comments are likely to resonate in other nations where the Catholic Church has been rocked by sex abuse scandals, including Britain and America. He made no mention of other countries in his speech.
The Pope added: "It is important to establish the truth of what happened in the past, to take whatever steps are necessary to prevent it from occurring again."

Is this just a little bit late in coming, or is it about bloody time the Catholic church recognised the state of the problem
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Tim Barnes
post 29th October 2006, 06:27 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 7

Hopefully now he has addressed this issue he should repeal the VILE laws on contraception which is the main reason for AIDS in Africa

+Quote this post
Overstaged
post 30th October 2006, 04:38 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Leave right now or quicker
User: 508

Main reason for AIDS in Africa? What makes you think the church has so much influence there? The african continent is split into several religions and islam rules many countries. If that was the reason, then it should be the same in latin america aswell, but the reason of course is POVERTY.

Back on topic, pope seems to be more worried about the image of his church then about the abused kids themselves.

+Quote this post
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post 30th October 2006, 04:47 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Always wear a clean pair of knickers, cos you never know when th
User: 190

QUOTE(Janet Jackson´s Nipple @ Oct 30 2006, 04:58 PM) *

Back on topic, pope seems to be more worried about the image of his church then about the abused kids themselves.

Ratzinger always has been though.. There was an excellent UK Panorama prog on a few weeks back about how he as a Cardinal would go around acting as an Enforcer for the Vatican basically to blackmail people, with the threat of excommunication, into not repeating allegations of child abuse to the proper authorities...

+Quote this post
russt68
post 1st November 2006, 10:00 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 213

QUOTE(Janet Jackson´s Nipple @ Oct 30 2006, 04:58 PM) *

Main reason for AIDS in Africa? What makes you think the church has so much influence there? The african continent is split into several religions and islam rules many countries. If that was the reason, then it should be the same in latin america aswell, but the reason of course is POVERTY.

The Catholic church has only ONE country in the whole world where its numbers are going UP. Rapidly.

That country is Africa.

The former Pope is personally responsible for condemning millions in Africa to an unnecessary death. Catholics hang onto their Pope's every word - and his bizarre words, time and time again, were that contraception is a sin and abstinence is the only remedy.

These foolish statements ensured millions upon millions of African Catholics refused to use contraception - hence the appalling HIV figures.

And the reason for the spread of AIDs is not poverty at ALL. The reason for the spread of AIDs in Africa is ill education... and a blind faith in this most ghastly of religions.

+Quote this post
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post 2nd November 2006, 09:22 AM
Post #6
Group icon

QUOTE(russt68 @ Nov 1 2006, 10:20 PM) *

The Catholic church has only ONE country in the whole world where its numbers are going UP. Rapidly.

That country is Africa.

The former Pope is personally responsible for condemning millions in Africa to an unnecessary death. Catholics hang onto their Pope's every word - and his bizarre words, time and time again, were that contraception is a sin and abstinence is the only remedy.

These foolish statements ensured millions upon millions of African Catholics refused to use contraception - hence the appalling HIV figures.

And the reason for the spread of AIDs is not poverty at ALL. The reason for the spread of AIDs in Africa is ill education... and a blind faith in this most ghastly of religions.

I'm pretty sure you meant to say 'continent' didn't you mate...? laugh.gif

Pretty much agree with what you say though. There are plenty of countries within Africa that have framed Govt policy around fundamentalist Catholic dogma.... Every bit as dangerous as framing policy around fundamentalist Islam IMO.... The current AIDS crisis in Africa is doing untold damage to the continent and its people....

+Quote this post
russt68
post 2nd November 2006, 10:57 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I did, yes ohmy.gif wacko.gif ... countries... continents...I'm Welsh, Scott.. I can't keep up!

+Quote this post
Overstaged
post 3rd November 2006, 08:49 PM
Post #8
Group icon

QUOTE(russt68 @ Nov 1 2006, 10:21 PM) *

That country is Africa.

A Catholic who is devote enough to take seriously the Pope´s statements about contraceptions SURELY is devote enough to not have sex outside marriage. So there is no point sayng the Church is to blame on that.

+Quote this post
russt68
post 4th November 2006, 02:37 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Ill education?

And never forget - Catholicism is the most hypocritical, evil and unjust of ALL religions. Whenever something is based ENTIRELY on guilt - there's ALWAYS going to be problems.

+Quote this post
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post 4th November 2006, 10:43 AM
Post #10
Group icon

QUOTE(russt68 @ Nov 4 2006, 02:58 AM) *

Ill education?

And never forget - Catholicism is the most hypocritical, evil and unjust of ALL religions. Whenever something is based ENTIRELY on guilt - there's ALWAYS going to be problems.

Exactly... This whole concept of 'original sin' is just plain bullsh!t.... How the hell can anyone be born a sinner ffs.....? dry.gif Wicked, pernicious and blatantly all about control and brainwashing...

+Quote this post
Overstaged
post 4th November 2006, 03:45 PM
Post #11
Group icon

I still think you only said that because you live in christian countries. I detest the Catholic church, and I was born a catholic, but I thank God I wasn´t born a muslim and the catholic religion must be unfair, but not the most unfair.

+Quote this post
Mushymanrob
post 4th November 2006, 06:23 PM
Post #12
Group icon
im all clares!
User: 5

QUOTE(GRIMLY FIENDISH @ Nov 4 2006, 11:04 AM) *

Exactly... This whole concept of 'original sin' is just plain bullsh!t.... How the hell can anyone be born a sinner ffs.....? dry.gif Wicked, pernicious and blatantly all about control and brainwashing...

well if GOD wanted to allow original sin then thats HIS prerogative! laugh.gif

+Quote this post
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post 4th November 2006, 11:14 PM
Post #13
Group icon

QUOTE(Janet Jackson´s Nipple @ Nov 4 2006, 04:06 PM) *

I still think you only said that because you live in christian countries. I detest the Catholic church, and I was born a catholic, but I thank God I wasn´t born a muslim and the catholic religion must be unfair, but not the most unfair.

Islam, Catholicism.. Same lying, control-freakery bullsh!t, just different rules is all. Wake up and smell the coffee...

+Quote this post
Overstaged
post 5th November 2006, 04:52 PM
Post #14
Group icon

QUOTE(GRIMLY FIENDISH @ Nov 4 2006, 11:35 PM) *

Islam, Catholicism.. Same lying, control-freakery bullsh!t, just different rules is all. Wake up and smell the coffee...

You think these are the only religions in the world? What about human sacrifices on indian tribes, or the class system on hinduism...

+Quote this post
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post 5th November 2006, 05:21 PM
Post #15
Group icon

QUOTE(Janet Jackson´s Nipple @ Nov 5 2006, 05:13 PM) *

You think these are the only religions in the world? What about human sacrifices on indian tribes, or the class system on hinduism...

Well, I was using your examples mate, you mentioned Muslims and Catholics, not me... You didn't specifically mention any others... Of course there are serious problems with the Hindu Caste system, but a lot of that in this day and age is politically motivated purely to keep down the poor and keep the elite in power (same old story the world over..). As for these supposed 'human sacrifices' in Indian tribes... What actual empirical evidence is there that that actually took place to any real significant degree..? And it sure as hell does not occur in this day and age on any Indian reservations in North America that I've heard about... The occasional human sacrifice carried out by Pagan Indian tribes back in the day is hardly in the same league as the Crusades or the Spanish Inquisition, or indeed 9/11 where THOUSANDS are dying in the name of some fukked-up religious dogma....And it aint the Navajos, Sioux Nations or the Aztecs who are influencing those who have their fingers on the nuclear trigger in 2006... A bit of perspective please...

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 29th April 2024, 02:32 PM