BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The Last of Us Part II, June 19 2020
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
blacksquare
post Jul 11 2020, 06:38 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471

I found these discussions really interesting — answered some questions I had after playing, and made me think about some story elements differently.

QUOTE(NellyEverySundae @ Jul 11 2020, 02:36 PM) *
I do agree with there being a massive lack of likeable characters on Abby’s side actually. It didn’t take a long time for me to empathise with Marlene, Tess and Joel in the original and the former probably only had an hour max of screentime. They could’ve been better written but I got far more immersed in Abby’s gameplay to care much about it, to be honest.

It's impressive how many takes and differing opinions there are about this — can't say that about a lot of video games. I can see people debating this for years.

I really liked Owen from Abby's friends, and Lev and Yara were probably my favourite characters in the entire game (after Alice, of course). I also quite liked how they handled Lev being trans — it was a small aspect of the story but didn't define him as a character and didn't define the story itself.

The ending made me so uncomfortable — I did not want Ellie to leave the farm, and then I did not want to fight Abby. I can't think of another game that made me feel like that before. I interpreted the ending (Ellie not killing Abby) as Ellie realising all of the awful things she was willing to do for Joel, and finally understanding how he could do what he did at the end of the first game. His love for her drove him to do that, and her love for him drove her to do this. The flashback as she was drowning Abby was the first one that ended on a positive note (forgiveness) — I think she understood his choices and forgave him, whilst not wanting to make the same mistake.

This post has been edited by blacksquare: Jul 11 2020, 06:59 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Rooney
post Jul 11 2020, 08:43 PM
Post #22
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88
QUOTE(blacksquare @ Jul 11 2020, 07:38 PM) *

I found these discussions really interesting — answered some questions I had after playing, and made me think about some story elements differently.
It's impressive how many takes and differing opinions there are about this — can't say that about a lot of video games. I can see people debating this for years.

I really liked Owen from Abby's friends, and Lev and Yara were probably my favourite characters in the entire game (after Alice, of course). I also quite liked how they handled Lev being trans — it was a small aspect of the story but didn't define him as a character and didn't define the story itself.

The ending made me so uncomfortable — I did not want Ellie to leave the farm, and then I did not want to fight Abby. I can't think of another game that made me feel like that before. I interpreted the ending (Ellie not killing Abby) as Ellie realising all of the awful things she was willing to do for Joel, and finally understanding how he could do what he did at the end of the first game. His love for her drove him to do that, and her love for him drove her to do this. The flashback as she was drowning Abby was the first one that ended on a positive note (forgiveness) — I think she understood his choices and forgave him, whilst not wanting to make the same mistake.

The Spoilercasts are great - it really helped me contextualise some of the moments from the game. When you have Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson saying these things it just really puts everything in to perspectivr - these people know these characters better than anybody. It's clear there was always going to be a lot of hate for the game (and rightly so, playing as Abby is really uncomfortable for the early parts). But the leaks just made everything so much harder - people had already made their minds up and decided to hate it. I find it all a bit sad really. Don't get me wrong I HATED that scene but I also understand that it had to happen.

See, I interpreted the ending totally different in that Ellie realised that killing Abby was not going to bring back Joel. It's clear she was suffering from PTSD and she realised that Abby was still completely messed up even though she had got her own personal revenge.

I really can't wait another 7 years for Part III!

+Quote this post
NellyEverySundae
post Jul 12 2020, 05:23 PM
Post #23
Group icon
#TeamKrustyKrab
User: 20,675
Right so I’ve spent 13 hours on my re-play and just about to finish! I was seeing if there was a quicker way to get through the story and tbh stealth is do-able throughout the second time round now you know how enemies act and know whereabouts you’re heading with some tactics ready. It’s made the game a lot easier and the pacing is alright now I’m not getting stuck on a certain level for about 2 hours. So silly of me not realising dogs aren't an issue when you could just bow-and-arrow them before they even start sniffing. Because I was 90% getting around on stealth (no sprinting or combat), I felt like it actually really helped the pacing of the story, you get A to B without being spotted so it made certain segments feel a lot less prolongued than when I originally played. Might tryout full on combat next time I play it but think that’ll be In a while.

Abby’s part probably has some of the best (Seraphite levels) and worst (the resident evil encounters on the way to see Owen and at the hospital retrieving the medical kit) parts of the game. I know some people will love the whole combat areas purely dedicated to the infected but I just hate the infected scavengers so much lol. I can’t be bothered to deal with them so just save up on a lot of stun bombs for them geezers.

This post has been edited by NellyEverySundae: Jul 12 2020, 05:25 PM

+Quote this post
NellyEverySundae
post Jul 12 2020, 05:35 PM
Post #24
Group icon
#TeamKrustyKrab
QUOTE(blacksquare @ Jul 11 2020, 07:38 PM) *

Interesting! To be honest Owen’s pretty harmless, I just felt kind of indifferent to him? I’d include Lev in that bracket for me too. I actually felt quite uncomfortable with fighting Abby at the end too; the poor girl had been kidnapped, tortured and left to die. And I just thought both had been through so much by then. Imagine if Abby had died, what would happen to Lev??

Overall I’m not too sure where I’d personally want a third instalment to go. I wouldn’t mind it being focused on the fireflies regrouping and idk Ellie having some internal conflict on if she should hand herself over to them. But that’d be treading similar water. Hopefully Mr Druckmann can surprise us again with a complete new direction, wether that includes Ellie or not.

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post Jul 12 2020, 06:52 PM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471
QUOTE(NellyEverySundae @ Jul 12 2020, 06:23 PM) *
Right so I’ve spent 13 hours on my re-play and just about to finish! I was seeing if there was a quicker way to get through the story and tbh stealth is do-able throughout the second time round now you know how enemies act and know whereabouts you’re heading with some tactics ready. It’s made the game a lot easier and the pacing is alright now I’m not getting stuck on a certain level for about 2 hours. So silly of me not realising dogs aren't an issue when you could just bow-and-arrow them before they even start sniffing. Because I was 90% getting around on stealth (no sprinting or combat), I felt like it actually really helped the pacing of the story, you get A to B without being spotted so it made certain segments feel a lot less prolongued than when I originally played. Might tryout full on combat next time I play it but think that’ll be In a while.

Abby’s part probably has some of the best (Seraphite levels) and worst (the resident evil encounters on the way to see Owen and at the hospital retrieving the medical kit) parts of the game. I know some people will love the whole combat areas purely dedicated to the infected but I just hate the infected scavengers so much lol. I can’t be bothered to deal with them so just save up on a lot of stun bombs for them geezers.

Oh wow — ground zero (and Day 2) was my favourite section in the game. The bridge leading down to the hospital (and then that thing) gave me heart palpitations. It was far too late in the night for that on my first playthrough. Haha.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post Jul 12 2020, 07:01 PM
Post #26
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
Out of interest - which parts did you both find the most difficult / challenging? And what difficulty did you play through on?

I played through on Normal and either THAT fight or Ellie on Day 2 where she enters the hospital after the Vita moment were my biggest challenges.

+Quote this post
NellyEverySundae
post Jul 13 2020, 08:37 AM
Post #27
Group icon
#TeamKrustyKrab
QUOTE(blacksquare @ Jul 12 2020, 07:52 PM) *
Oh wow — ground zero (and Day 2) was my favourite section in the game. The bridge leading down to the hospital (and then that thing) gave me heart palpitations. It was far too late in the night for that on my first playthrough. Haha.

Yeah I knew people would love it but I’ve just never been a massive fan of big boss fights, don’t think I have the attention span or the skills/concentration for it hahah. I did find getting down to ground zero really intense though.

QUOTE(Rooney @ Jul 12 2020, 08:01 PM) *
Out of interest - which parts did you both find the most difficult / challenging? And what difficulty did you play through on?

I played through on Normal and either THAT fight or Ellie on Day 2 where she enters the hospital after the Vita moment were my biggest challenges.

Personally, I found the fight particularly difficult and then where Abby’s on the boat to try find Owen. I found it next to impossible to stealth the latter and the level was riddled with tonnes of clickers etc. Also when Lev/Yara are trying to open the door to let Abby leave that f***ing house with the bloater-duo haha! There was also a sequence with Ellie where there was a room with about 7 scavengers and I probably died the most on that because I hadn’t saved up on ammo. I played on normal, tried survivor originally but gave up by day 2 seattle (Ellie).

This post has been edited by NellyEverySundae: Jul 13 2020, 08:41 AM

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Jul 14 2020, 05:22 PM
Post #28
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217
I’m watching a walkthrough of this - lmao at this glitch:

https://YouTube.com/watch?v=i1XN915aAqU&t=21m30s

+Quote this post
antanasg12345
post Jul 27 2020, 12:22 PM
Post #29
Group icon
New Entry
User: 110,331
I'll try this game out next week as I am getting it.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post Feb 11 2021, 01:01 PM
Post #30
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsey have been cast as the two leads for the HBO TV Show.

The scripts apparently touch on Season 2, so I wonder if we're going to Jackson a little bit more fleshed out when Joel/Ellie first go there with Jesse/Dina and of course this probably means Abby's father and Abby will be tacked on to the Fireflies storyline too you would expect.

+Quote this post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:33 PM