BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Opinions On: "Hold It Against Me"
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Sempachorra
post Oct 4 2016, 12:35 AM
Post #1
Let's Go Brandon
Group: Members
Member No.: 421

Hold It Against Me was the lead single of "Femme Fatale", released in 2011, and it did pretty good around the world. It debuted at #1 in the US, also topping the charts in Denmark, Belgium, New Zealand, Canada and South Korea. It peaked at #6 in the UK, and did reasonably well in most places, although the longevity of the song wasnt that great.

The song is especially praised as being the first pop song to bring the dubstep sound to American Top40 radio, even if it was only used during the breakdown, it was seen as innovative.

The video:

So what did you think of the song and the video? Yay or nay? Would you rather it had been another song as lead single?

This post has been edited by Euphorique: Oct 4 2016, 02:16 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Addy!
post Oct 4 2016, 12:50 AM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 2,666

Yay for both song and video.

I wouldn't changed it with anything else as a lead single because it really brought the Britney hype in internet world and media, and I don't think TTWE would have faired the same (even thought it ended up being a bigger hit and gave her more longevity in charts). I still remember how shocked I was when I first heard it.

+Quote Post
Sempachorra
post Oct 4 2016, 01:43 AM
Post #3
Let's Go Brandon

I actually would've released TTWE first, I think it would've been much bigger hit for her around the world than HIAM.

+Quote Post
Addy!
post Oct 4 2016, 03:13 AM
Post #4
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Euphorique @ Oct 4 2016, 03:43 AM) *
I actually would've released TTWE first, I think it would've been much bigger hit for her around the world than HIAM.

I think it wouldn't be as praised as HIAM though...TTWE sounded like any Kesha song that was ruling charts at that time and people would bring that up.

+Quote Post
post Oct 4 2016, 06:33 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 19,931

I don't think the order of HITAM and TTWE mattered much in the US, they were still very here for the latter despite the former slightly underperforming. In the UK it would have made a huge difference though, and we might have seen Britney being supported by radio for longer than she was.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Oct 4 2016, 12:08 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

I remember this being released here in the UK at the time and there were various snippets as well as a countdown for the official video; it just felt like really big news that Britney was back and people couldn't wait for it to be released. However, I recall a lot of people being really disappointed with the song (I believe the song premiere coincided with the video, although it could just have been me hearing and seeing the song/video at the same time) and it felt like such an underperformance that she could only manage a #6 debut and peak, despite the hype.

I wasn't that keen on the song either at the time. I didn't like how flat the first chorus was; it just felt like, come the second verse, you hadn't even heard a chorus, although I appreciate that was becoming a popular structure at the time. Tbf, the song never really got to the peak I'm used to from Britney music. It's fair to say I give the song a much easier ride today but it's still far from my favourite and it doesn't help that I always recall the underwhelming feeling I had about it back in 2011. It's probably my least favourite lead single.

The video wasn't all that great either, but I did quite like the references to her earlier music videos and the Britney vs. Britney fight.

+Quote Post
Sempachorra
post Oct 4 2016, 01:05 PM
Post #7
Let's Go Brandon

QUOTE(Joe. @ Oct 4 2016, 07:33 AM) *
I don't think the order of HITAM and TTWE mattered much in the US, they were still very here for the latter despite the former slightly underperforming. In the UK it would have made a huge difference though, and we might have seen Britney being supported by radio for longer than she was.

Exactly. Not only in the UK but in the rest of Europe.

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Oct 4 2016, 01:23 PM
Post #8
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

My favourite single from the 'Femme Fatale' era and I really don't understand why the video gets so much negativity thrown at it? It's one of her absolute best for me! Top 3/4 of the album, for sure. I can see why TTWE is the bigger hit/most remembered song, but I find that a little TOO generic for me in which I have to be in the right mood a lot of the time, to listen to it.

Definitely one of her more under appreciated efforts imo.

+Quote Post
London
post Oct 4 2016, 04:59 PM
Post #9
London Boy
Member No.: 21,053
   No Gallery Pics

I love this song. I always think I'm not that bothered by it and then it comes on and I'm hooked.

This post has been edited by London81: Oct 4 2016, 05:00 PM

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Oct 5 2016, 06:54 AM
Post #10
Break the tension
Member No.: 51

I enjoy it, not as much as I did when I first heard it but the breakdown after the first chorus is the best bit.

I did go on to prefer TTWE, despite really disliking that for a few months.

+Quote Post
kye
post Oct 10 2016, 12:01 AM
Post #11
• aesthetic party •
Member No.: 2,169

Underrated as F*CK. It's my fave thing from Femme Fatale & probably my fave single of hers from the 2010's.

+Quote Post
Addy!
post Oct 10 2016, 05:58 AM
Post #12
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Kye @ Oct 10 2016, 02:01 AM) *
Underrated as F*CK. It's my fave thing from Femme Fatale & probably my fave single of hers from the 2010's.

pretty much THIS. wub.gif

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Oct 12 2016, 01:07 AM
Post #13
If people hate you, don’t hate them.
Member No.: 67

UNDERRATED AF as Kye said.

That song is euphoria in audio form. And the music video is f***ing awesome, those fight scenes the white dress scenes. Just phenomenal. The lack of promo tainted its release, as well as them teasing the video for WAY too long. Imagine how much 'Femme Fatale' would have smashed if she were doing the QUALITY promo she is doing now.

Fantastic release. The entire era was an 11/10 music wise.

+Quote Post
star.shine
post Oct 18 2016, 01:02 PM
Post #14
swimming in the stars
Member No.: 11,697
   No Gallery Pics

Hold It Against Me was released earlier than planned in the UK because of fans that didn't understand the concept of a held back release. So it lost 36 hours of sales and despite peaking at #3 on iTunes it debuted at #6.

And don't get me started on Till the World Ends which was released on a Friday....(my birthday though laugh.gif).

+Quote Post
Sempachorra
post Jan 29 2017, 10:03 PM
Post #15
Let's Go Brandon

Debuted at #1 6 years ago today.

+Quote Post
Anita Hanjaab
post Jan 30 2017, 12:30 AM
Post #16
Buffy/Charmed
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

Very poor. Someone heard it in gym and LITERALLY said near me, 'God, she's just given up now'. Yup!

+Quote Post
Slick
post Jan 30 2017, 12:50 AM
Post #17
electric butterflies
Member No.: 70
   No Gallery Pics

I LOVED this song when it came out. It's not one I go back to very often now but at the time, this was FIRE. I hadn't seen hype for a new Britney era quite like the hype around this song for YEARS.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:51 PM