BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Dune (2021), Denis Villeneuve
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Chez Wombat
post Sep 9 2020, 05:50 PM
Post #1
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
I couldn't find a thread. The new epic Science fiction film based on the classic novel by Franz Herbert from the 1950s and the first of a planned two part adaptation directed by Denis Villeneuve (Arrival, Blade Runner 2049), Out (hopefully) December 2020.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Sep 9 2020, 05:53 PM
Post #2
Group icon
My most anticipated movie of the year, love his work and I'm sure he can do this justice, the cast looks excellent! wub.gif

I've finally got round to starting the book as well so hopefully I'd have finished it before I can see it! It was an inspiration for Star Wars, so I don't know how it took me so long to get it.

+Quote this post
Hadji
post Aug 19 2021, 05:12 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,386
New release date 22nd October 2021

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Aug 19 2021, 06:20 PM
Post #4
Group icon
The last trailer did look a little bit more...Hollywood-ised than I would've liked (please no massive action scenes and constant one-liners, this isn't Marvel), but I've still got hope with the director and it looks seriously stunning.

+Quote this post
Severin
post Oct 18 2021, 09:47 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872
Just watched Dune and if you like Villeneuve you will love it, and it is very different to Lynch's version (which I love.) If you wanted a big dumb sci-fi adventure you clearly know nothing of the book or the director.
Some gripes, there is however so much detail and backstory left out. Some important characters (Thufir, Huey, Mapes) are barely featured and have cursory background motivation, others like Irulan are not even in it, whilst a couple of sequences, particularly the thopter escape, are drawn out too long. The Harkonnen though are far better this time out and Vladimir has a real air of menace about him.
Unfortunately, doing away with half of the book makes the film very light on plot and much of the run time is spent on mood and atmosphere rather than world building. Overall though it is stunning to see and hear, although I think those familiar with the books will get the most from it and I can help but feel that whilst Lynch tried too hard to cram in the background and confused people, Villeneuve has left too much aside and may do the same to those unprepared to pay attention.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Oct 23 2021, 11:06 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Just got back from it and predictably, I absolutely loved it. It's gonna take some beating to be my favourite cinematic experience of the year, everything looks absolutely incredible and awe-inspiring. It feels like it's surrounding you, it's really quite breathtaking.

I think they did a good job with the material given it was the first part (admittedly one that wasn't made the clearest!) and while yes, it was long, Dune is primarily about world-building over action and I'm glad they stuck to that and not just made it a Star Wars clone (that would be ironic given the book inspired the original movies!). I agree that Thufir wasn't utilised as much as he should've been a(as well as Piter De Vries), the Harkonnens looked great, but I really wanted to see more of them, same with the Sandworms, but again they don't feature as heavily in the first part.

I do so hope we get to see a second part as there's still so much of the book left, reception seems to have been good critically and it seems to be looking good at the box office so fingers crossed. It's a little hard to predict as I am very biased having read the book and understanding where it was going, but it may not be as obvious to those not familar.

+Quote this post
Severin
post Oct 24 2021, 12:00 AM
Post #7
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872
My favourite moment (of many great ones) was the seemingly throwaway line by Mohiam - 'You have more than one birthright, boy'.

A real if you know, you know, moment

Having watched it twice now I still think some characters and motivations get short shrift but the decision to focus on the events almost solely through Paul's eyes works to the film's benefit

This post has been edited by Severin: Oct 24 2021, 12:04 AM

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:20 PM