BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> RESULTS: Spice Girls Singles Artwork Rank!, Winner and Runner-up revealed!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Jade
post Feb 2 2018, 11:07 PM
Post #21
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

Yeah the sepia tone ruins it a little! It can stay though because a poster of it is the one signed Spice Girls item that I have bought on eBay over the years laugh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Feb 3 2018, 03:34 AM
Post #22
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

8th Goodbye [CD1] (150 points)

Highest: 2nd (Spiceboy, Eduardo)
Lowest: 13th (LazySpice88)

Photographer: Lorenzo Agius
Location of photoshoot: London, England
Date of photoshoot: October 1998
Designed by: Joe@Virgin Art

In 8th place is the Spice Girls' highest placed artwork as a quartet! This is certainly one of the Spice Girls' most minimalist covers, used for CD1 & the cassette! The font size for both their group name & the song title is quite small, and the white background takes up the rest of the top half of the cover. The girls themselves also have a minimalist look going on, with subtle make-up and the possible suggestion that they might not be wearing clothes (they actually are!). For some reason the word "pure" always comes to mind when I look at this artwork. It is also the only Spice Girls artwork which shows Mel B with a different hairstyle than her classic Scary Spice curls, opting for the straightened look here. One thing that annoys me about this release (and the CD2) is the fact that the barcode encroaches onto the spine of the sleeve - I think that looks quite ugly! If they'd never had the idea of having a fan draw a picture for the CD2 version, I think this picture from the same photoshoot would have been a nice contrast to CD1. Goodbye CD1 was another "CD single size jewel case" format.

+Quote Post
McAndrew
post Feb 3 2018, 10:03 AM
Post #23
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group: Members
Member No.: 39,551
   No Gallery Pics

I love the slickness of the 'Goodbye' CD1 artwork.

I wasn't sure about Mel B's hair do because, without Ginger, they were already so much less recognisable. But it clearly didn't impact sales.

I wonder if the hairstyle change was due to her 'I Want You Back' promotion. Wasn't that going on at the time?

They all look gorgeous wub.gif They should've gone to Lorenzo Agius for the rest of the 'Forever' campaign!

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Feb 4 2018, 12:48 AM
Post #24

7th 2 Become 1 [UK Versions] (156 points)

Highest: 1st (Eduardo, HarryEzra)
Lowest: 12th (Spiceboy)

Photographer: Ellen Von Unwerth
Location of photoshoot: London, England
Date of photoshoot: 15th October 1996

We've finally arrived at a cover that is someone's favourite artwork! In fact two of you love this one - Eduardo and HarryEzra both ranked this 1st. 2 Become 1 was their first release to use different pictures on the CD1 & CD2 formats. The single was released in December 1996 in the UK - CD1 in the standard CD single size jewel case, while the CD2 is quite a unique format. It's described as an "exclusive cd gift pack"; it's a cardboard case with a flap that can be opened, which contains a digipak-esque item, with a fold out sleeve (including other pictures from the photoshoot), and a slot to place the disc in. This photoshoot was also used on various official Spice Girls merchandise bedroom items (which figures, as they're posing on a bed!) - including a duvet and pillow case set, a bedside lamp and wallpaper (all of which I used to have!). There's a bit of a fuzzy quality to all of the pictures from this photoshoot, which I'm personally not overly keen on. It's arguably one of their sexiest photoshoots used for their singles.

+Quote Post
McAndrew
post Feb 4 2018, 10:31 AM
Post #25
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

I just love the edgy styling on this one. They look like sexy vampires!

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Feb 4 2018, 07:41 PM
Post #26

laugh.gif ^ Now I’m imagining them as extras on Buffy!

Thanks for the comments so far, everyone! It’s harder than I’d anticipated to think of what to write in the commentaries. drama.gif

Hopefully I’ll get around to posting a couple more results tonight. happy.gif

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Feb 6 2018, 05:46 AM
Post #27

6th Viva Forever [CD1] (164 points)

Highest: 1st (LazySpice88)
Lowest: 13th (letloverule)

Puppets designed and created by: Aardman Animation
Designed by: Joe@Virgin Art

Viva Forever CD1 was their first single artwork to not feature a photograph of the girls themselves, instead they opted for a picture of their puppets from the music video! The puppets are 12 inches high and made out of tin. The stop motion animation technique was used in the video, which resulted in the 4 minute video taking five months to make! The single was released in a "CD single size jewel case" format, and was also their first single release to include an interactive element (the music video). Do you guys like their Viva Forever fairies? I've always found Emma's fairy to be rather freaky looking. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
McAndrew
post Feb 6 2018, 10:44 AM
Post #28
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

I flipping love those fairies! But I'm a massive Aardman fan too.

I'm a big fan of the twisted video. Such a contrast to the song. But I understand those who find it odd.

This post has been edited by Michael Andrew: Feb 20 2018, 08:46 AM

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Feb 8 2018, 06:10 AM
Post #29

5th Stop (166 points)

Highest: 1st (Mr.X)
Lowest: 12th (Eduardo)

Photographer: Jesse Frohman
Location of photo: New York, United States
Date of photoshoot: May 1997

Stop was released as the third single from the Spice Girls' second album Spiceworld, in March 1998. Interestingly they used a fairly old photoshoot for this - these photos were taken for the magazine Young and Modern in May 1997! Therefore they're older than the pictures used for the Spice Up Your Life & Too Much singles. I wonder why they didn't go with a more recent photo session? Not to worry, because we've deemed it to be within their Top 5 artworks! I really like these covers, particularly the CD1 artwork with 'STOP' being in a very large font size. Even though they're all dressed in white (fairly unusual for them to dress cohesively), their outfits all suit their individual styles (loving Mel B's platforms *.* ). I think I'd have perhaps liked it if CD2 had used a different colour than pink, for a bit of variety. From this photo session they also used a blue background. Both CD1 & CD2 were released in the "CD single size jewel case" formats. CD2 also included a small poster.

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Feb 8 2018, 06:30 AM
Post #30

4th Wannabe (168 points)

Highest: 2nd (»ïïïïïïïïïïïïï., letloverule)
Lowest: 13th (missing you)

Photographer: Enrique Badulescu
Location of photo: London, England
Date of photoshoot: March 1996

The single that started everything! I've always thought that the "one girl in each letter of the SPICE logo" concept was a stroke of genius. As well as using this theme for Wannabe, they went on to use it for the album covers of 'Spice' and 'Spiceworld'. It was probably for the best that they didn't continue this with other singles, perhaps it would have started to look a bit samey. CD1 was released in a "CD single size jewel case", while CD2 was issued in an album size jewel case. The inlay of this CD folded out into 4 postcards, which you could separate if you wanted to because they're perforated. This single's design clearly had thought put into it, serving as an introduction to what the Spice Girls were all about. It includes this mission statement: "WANTED - anyone with a sense of fun, freedom and adventure hold tight get ready, girl power is comin' at you. On one of the postcards, each member is named, with a description included for each of them (Victoria - cool and classy, Melanie B - wild spirit, Geri - only for the headstrong, Emma - sweet and sassy, Melanie C - fit and funky). Overall I think it's one of their best designed singles, and made them come across as being fresh and exciting. Wannabe was released in the UK in July 1996.

+Quote Post
McAndrew
post Feb 8 2018, 12:09 PM
Post #31
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

Having each girl in a letter was an amazing idea. Whoever came up with that should be very proud. Seems like something Geri would dream up.

This post has been edited by Michael Andrew: Feb 8 2018, 12:09 PM

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Feb 11 2018, 06:50 AM
Post #32

More replies before I post the Top 3, please! teresa.gif (Thank you for the replies so far!)

+Quote Post
McAndrew
post Feb 12 2018, 03:24 PM
Post #33
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

Those girls always knew how to work a sofa. But poor Mel C often ended up on the floor dry.gif

This post has been edited by Michael Andrew: Feb 20 2018, 08:47 AM

+Quote Post
spiceboy
post Feb 13 2018, 01:30 PM
Post #34
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 39,568
   No Gallery Pics

Our girls had some amazing artwork wub.gif

+Quote Post
missingyou
post Feb 13 2018, 02:00 PM
Post #35
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 4,429
   No Gallery Pics

so many iconic artworks wub.gif

+Quote Post
Eduardo
post Feb 13 2018, 02:08 PM
Post #36
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 5,804
   No Gallery Pics

I didn't know so many people dislike the "Let Love Lead The Way" artwork.

And I was so pleased that Taylor Swift had a similar one for "Mine"

+Quote Post
McAndrew
post Feb 14 2018, 04:24 PM
Post #37
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

That Taylor Swift cover is how 'Let Love Lead The Way' should have looked.

Nice even light on her face, no hideous shadows, no squinting, a pretty dress, gorgeous hair and make up... I could go on! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Feb 15 2018, 09:48 AM
Post #38

3rd Too Much (171 points)

Highest: 1st (Maz!, vibe, …ready for it)
Lowest: 10th (Theo.)

Photographer: Mark Abrahams
Location of photo: London, England
Date of photoshoot: 12th September 1997

The pictures used for Too Much were originally published in the October 1997 issue of Elle magazine. This is definitely one of my favourite photoshoots, they all look very sophisticated and beautiful! This single came out December 1997, with both CD1 & CD2 released in single size jewel cases. Both formats included Playstation postcards (1 & 2, promoting their critically panned Spiceworld video game (which wasn't actually released until June/July 1998!). I definitely prefer the black cover of Too Much; I think the reddish/purple one shows too much detail to the point it shows it to be quite a slapdash design.

+Quote Post
McAndrew
post Feb 16 2018, 03:31 PM
Post #39
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

I agree the black 'Too Much' design is much slicker.

You can tell the shoot was for a fashion mag. So much pouting. laugh.gif

I do prefer to see their individuality shine through a bit more. But still, the photography is beautiful.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Feb 26 2018, 10:55 PM
Post #40
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

I don't think I ever realised how naff the 'Too Much' cover on the right was ohmy.gif the black one indeed looks so much better!

Rooting for 'Spice Up Your Life' to win!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:30 PM