BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jack's R&B Recommendations
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
JackTheeStallion
post Jun 1 2020, 07:23 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 223

A new feature to the R&B / Hip Hop forum, my taste is predominantely female leaning but I'll try to include as much variety. A overview of what I have included for anyone who is craving R&B that isn't necessarily in the charts;

Kehlani - It Was Good Until It Wasn't
Favourite Tracks: 'Grieving' (ft. James Blake), 'Water' & 'Change Your Life' (ft. Jhene Aiko)

A beautifully crafted album with some very clever lyrics. If you were a fan of 'Nights Like This' and 'SweetSexySavage', this has a much more mature sound to it but there is a lot of good in there - even if melodically it can be seen as similar. I was disappointed initially as she is one of my #01's but with a focused listen, I can see how clever this album really is and how much of her heart really went into it as she opens up to us on a more intimate level. This isn't about bops but more about crafting beautiful R&B songs where she speaks from the soul about racism, grief, her sexuality, her relationship with fame, her mental health and mental health struggles. In particular I reccomend 'Grieving' which is stunning, an unlikely combination with James Blake makes for a really special song. 'Water' is the albums bop, making a new audience feel at home as she explores her sexuality on an intimate level and 'Change Your Life' with Jhene Aiko - a carefully crafted song with a lot of soul talking of letting a new lover in.

Kiana Ledé - KIKI
Favourite Tracks: 'Movin', 'Honest' & 'Mad At Me'

Kiana's anticipated debut solo album shows she means business full of beautiful melodies and bringing a more old school R&B song - a lot I could see on this album being released by the likes of Ashanti or Brandy releasing previously. She even has homages to the sound she is looking to replicate and introduce to a new audience with 'Mad At Me', the albums lead, sampling Outkast's 'So Fresh, So Clean' and 'Honest' sampling Brandy's 'Have You Ever'. It is like Kehlani's younger, boppier album sister and shows a lot of promise for such a young and upcoming artist.

JoJo - Good To Know
Favourite Tracks: 'Pedialyte', 'Small Things' & 'Think About You'

JoJo has predominately been a Pop artist but this album she goes full on R&B and is a very sensual album full of slow jams but the lyrical content and melodies are still there. On 'Pedialyte' she talks about a hangover from a previous lover, 'Small Things' of falling in love for the first time and 'Think About You' that has heartbreaking content, unable to let go from a previous lover. It is an album I have been vocal about in not enjoying initially, I grew up with and knew pop JoJo so to see her evolve into this different artist musically and sexually was ... strange to me at first. However, you can tell this is the kind of sound her voice was MADE for and she enjoys making and the three songs mentioned are a great introduction of the album.

ParisAlexa - 2 Real
Favourite Tracks: 'Bentley Truck', '2 Real' & '2 Optimistic'

A artist I had no idea of until she featured on my suggested artists on Spotify and she recently released her debut album titled '2 Real'. A great introduction full of hooks and great melodies that just make you want to dance, I imagine it would sound great in a club. Expensive sounding production and her voice is like a modern Toni Braxton with melodies similar to the likes of Beyonce's 'I Am Sasha Fierce' album and Kehlani's 'SweetSexySavage' album. Definetly one to look out for and the tracks featured on the playlist are a perfect introduction to her.

Megan Thee Stallion - Suga EP
Favourite Tracks: 'Hit My Phone' (ft. Kehlani), 'Captain Hook' & 'B.I.T.C.H.'

A lot probably know Megan for 'Savage' and 'Hot Girl Summer' - two of which are completely unrepresentive of her, she has much more BOPS than that. 'Hit My Phone' is the classic Nicki Minaj esque song you would hear on 'Pink Friday' but with updated production, 'Captain Hook' sounds like something Cupcakke would release if she was to ever go fully mainstream with dirty but playful lyrics and 'B.I.T.C.H' really makes you feel like THAT bitch listening to it. Megan gets a hard time for the songs she is known for but she is a real talent a genuine soul from what I've seen of her and I hope more people discover the greatness behind some of her other work.

I have also included great singles from Bree Runway with her hit 'Damn Daniel' who continues to go from strength to strength and is killing the UK female rap scene right now and I really think could be destined for great things in the long run. Tiana Blake with 'Monday', another slow jam that in keeps with some of the other songs here and highlights her stunning voice. Jacob Collier with his current single with Mahalia 'All I Need', a soulful production that is currently Top 40 on UK iTunes and comeback single from Brandy 'Baby Mama' that has sadly gone overlooked and paid dust, when it is a bop and a great return to form.

I really hope at least one of you listen to this and discover something new, then it will have been worth it happy.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mack.
post Jun 1 2020, 08:35 PM
Post #2
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks Jack, I'll make sure I give these a listen.

+Quote Post
JackTheeStallion
post Jun 1 2020, 09:23 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Legend

Thank you!

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post Jun 2 2020, 08:25 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 18,293
   No Gallery Pics

I would like to echo my support for Captain Hook from Megan's EP. That was the song that really stood out to my when I listened to it.

I'm slowly working my way through the playlist and 'Honest' & 'Mad At Me' by Kiana Ledé have been my favourite discoveries so far wub.gif

+Quote Post
JackTheeStallion
post Jun 4 2020, 09:10 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend

Glad you like,I think you'd probably like Kianas album in full - I'd also recommend listening to her older stuff. Bouncin, Ex and Can I are all amazing.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:28 AM