BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

> 
24 Pages V  « < 22 23 24  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jade's favourite top 40 hits of each year ● 1997 onwards, 2003: 40 - 6 / 1997 - 2002 completed
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
danuary
post Jan 14 2021, 10:36 AM
Post #461
◢ ◤
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

Get Busy - such a classic of its genre. I imagine the CD single must've been deleted at some point for it to have such a randomly short chart run, if streaming were a thing it'd have had at least 20 weeks in the chart.
Make Luv - one of my absolute faves of the year definitely, funky house doesn't get much better than this classic
Damaged - interestingly I sent another cover of this into BJSC in one of my first ever contests only realising it was a new version of an old chart hit when Rich pointed it out in my national thread. I'd say I prefer this version now, being a bit more trancey.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Iceman501
post Jan 14 2021, 05:16 PM
Post #462
It's the return of the Mack.
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

Given 'Damaged' a listen and it sounds great. 'Get Busy' a classic there from Sean Paul, that is still quite a tune. 'Clocks' up there with Coldplay's best, that piano riffs are iconic, I remember that song as well for a particular BBC Freeview campaign.... from 0:01-1:20. 'Make Luv' this was big in 2003 and I really liked this song sounded great, I don't hear it much now. 'Year 3000' a guilty pleasure from Busted there.

+Quote Post
Sergej
post Jan 15 2021, 12:46 PM
Post #463
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 39,723
   No Gallery Pics

Hi Jade!

Here are some of the songs I like from your Year-End lists of 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003:

1999:
30. Jamiroquai - Canned Heat
29. Eiffel 65 - Blue (Da Ba Dee)
26. TLC - No Scrubs
19. Christina Aguilera - Genie In A Bottle
17. Smash Mouth - All Star
16. DJ Jurgen Presents Alice Deejay - Better Off Alone
12. The Chemical Brothers - Hey Boy Hey Girl
09. Fatboy Slim - Praise You
06. Wamdue Project - King of My Castle
05. Mr Oizo - Flat Beat
01. Fatboy Slim - Right Here, Right Now

2000:
05. Eminem - Stan (feat. Dido)
07. Fragma - Toca's Miracle
08. Moby - Porcelain
09. Coldplay - Yellow
11. Modjo - Lady (Hear Me Tonight)
16. Bomfunk MC's - Freestyler
20. Dr. Dre - Forgot About Dre (feat. Eminem)
22. Britney Spears - Stronger
23. Robbie Williams - Rock DJ
24. Darude - Sandstorm
25. Gabrielle - Rise
28. Coldplay - Trouble
29. Aaliyah - Try Again
30. Craig David - Fill Me In
36. LeAnn Rimes - Can't Fight The Moonlight
39. Daft Punk - One More Time

2001:
02. Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out Of My Head
03. OutKast - Ms. Jackson
08. Mary J. Blige - Family Affair
20. Britney Spears - I'm A Slave 4 U
22. Gorillaz - 19-2000 (Soulchild Remix)
24. Alicia Keys - Fallin'
25. Jennifer Lopez - Love Don't Cost A Thing
27. Ian Van Dahl - Castles In The Sky
28. Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood (Ed Case/Sweetie Irie Refix)
31. Eddy Grant - Electric Avenue (Ringbang Remix)
33. Nelly Furtado - I'm Like A Bird
34. Safri Duo - Played-A-Live (The Bongo Song)
37. Linkin Park - In The End
38. Missy Elliott - Get Ur Freak On
39. Shaggy - It Wasn't Me (feat. Rik Rok)

2002:
07. Holly Valance - Kiss Kiss
10. Eminem - Lose Yourself
12. Avril Lavigne - Sk8er Boi
13. P!nk - Just Like A Pill
14. Coldplay - The Scientist
16. Christina Aguilera - Dirrty (feat. Redman)
17. Shakira - Whenever, Wherever
20. Avril Lavigne - Complicated
25. Elvis vs. JXL - A Little Less Conversation
27. Coldplay - In My Place
30. Nickelback - How You Remind Me
31. Nelly - Dilemma (feat. Kelly Rowland)
33. Vanessa Carlton - A Thousand Miles
34. Justin Timberlake - Like I Love You

2003:
14. Coldplay - Clocks
15. Sean Paul - Get Busy
16. Linkin Park - Numb
18. Justin Timberlake - Rock Your Body
22. Evanescence - Bring Me To Life
23. Robbie Williams - Come Undone

Most of the songs I really like, some of them are guilty pleasures and for some songs I found new appreciation due to my new passion as a belly dancer (like "Whenever, Wherever", which I liked from the start and "Kiss Kiss", mostly for the original Tarkan song).

Can't wait to comment on the rest of your rankdowns, when I have time of course.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Monday, 11:36 PM
Post #464
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

WOAH that sudden influx of comments ohmy.gif I am floored <3 <3 new section not coming until tomorrow but thought I'd take the time to reply to everything tonight!

QUOTE(Rob S @ Jan 12 2021, 11:57 PM) *
'Year 3000' and 'Clocks' are some of more highlights. I'd even go on to say that the latter would be up there with their best along with 'Yellow', 'Fix You', 'Paradise', Violet Hill' & 'Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall'. 'Lost', Talk' & 'The Hardest Part' would be my faves of their underrated tracks!

Glad you're a fan of 'Year 3000' and 'Clocks' too! Those Coldplay highlights are stellar picks, in fact, all favourites of mine too! I was listening to my 'Parachutes' vinyl just this morning actually and 'Yellow' in particular was a good way to start off the day heart.gif

thank you for commenting <3

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Jan 13 2021, 02:37 PM) *
Great stuff so far, you've covered quite a few of my all time favourites from this year. Excellent in particular to see Numb (like all Linkin Park songs these days, hits a bit different after Chester's death, but it's my favourite song from them), Bring Me To Life (glad Bre's weird opinions on that haven't rubbed off on you xx) and Seven Nation Army (not even the worst football chants could ruin this song, the parent album Elephant is also really good if you're interested happy.gif )

Love seeing the V Birds here, I watched those Cartoon Network breaks too, what a shame we never found out what 'dance prison' they were in D:

Clocks and Get Busy from the recent section are both solid favourites too, for very different reasons!

Glad you're enjoying a lot of what I've covered so far, Chez! As pop was so dominant in noughties charts I often forget about the more rock moments that I love from the same period, until sitting down to properly flick back like this. But yeah that exact trio you mention are all fab! Indeed my Evanescence opinions don't quite match Bray's kink.gif thanks for the album recommendation, I'll definitely make sure to pencil that in as I'm doing a lot better with listening to older albums recently.

Omg yessss some more V Birds appreciation *.* Cartoon Network was such a massive part of my childhood! I know right, a mystery to always ponder D:

Oh yes of course I can count on you to stan Coldplay too! 'Get Busy' not so predictable but I'm totally here for it *.*

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Jan 13 2021, 07:22 PM) *
Giving Damaged a listen now, I don't think I've heard it before although it could have well featured on one of the many compilations I bought as a child, sounding nice anyways! Other favourites from this section are Numb and Clocks (now I've reminded myself which Coldplay song that is tongue.gif)

Ooh well I'm glad 'Damaged' was a good discovery or re-discovery for you! I completed avoided it until it was on Radio 1's One Hit Wonders show but it could well be on some compilations out there. Ha! 'Clocks' has quite a distinctive riff once you remember which song it is haha, I suppose the word 'Clocks' isn't a massive feature of it though! Numb <3

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Jan 13 2021, 08:12 PM) *
I'm way behind here but excellent to see “Seven Nation Army” (obvious choice but a fantastic one) and “Finest Dreams” here - went to No1 for me on the hottest day ever in the UK (well, it was the hottest day ever until summer 2019 of course). Kelis featuring on dance tracks always works well, recently with Disclosure but the Breach remixed “The Key” (remix of “Rumble”) and of course her dance inspired Flesh Tone in 2010 are also bangers.

Great also to see “Clocks” and its instantly familiar piano melody that was somewhat *cough* nabbed by David Guetta in 2009 for his massive #1 hit with Kelly Rowland. I'm sure it was just a coincidence.. anyway, it's a beautiful song and not even the best ballad on the album which was “The Scientist” - written about Chris Martin's grandfather and released when my own grandfather passed on. That album means a lot to me, and it feels a lot more genuine than it's follow-up which misteps by badly trying to recreate the atmosphere of A Rush of Blood to the Head, the clunky “Fix You” being a prime example.

Looking forward to the Top 10, hoping for “Maps” by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and “Hurt” by Johnny Cash!

Hey there Doctor B!

No worries, more than happy for people to dip in and out when they choose, great to hear your thoughts again! 'Seven Nation Army' is brilliant, feels a bit too low really but everything featured are songs I absolutely love, so its position may be deceiving. Glad you're into 'Finest Dreams' too - enough for it to have been a chart topper! I've heard a lot about that scorching summer of 2003 and vaguely remember it. Kelis is great on dance songs indeed - love the new Disclosure one that you mentioned although need to check out that Breach remix! I also really liked the new version of 'Icy Feet' by TCTS that Kelis jumped on. Oh yes, I look forward to reaching the 'Flesh Tone' era eventually!

That 'Clocks' riff is so timeless <3 haha yes, tut tut David Guetta! Wow, thanks for your openness regarding 'The Scientist', what a deep connection. </3 it is totally stunning though and a big Coldplay favourite. I must get 'A Rush Of Blood...' on vinyl as it's a glaring omission in my collection! Oops, we shall have to agree to disagree on 'Fix You', that has quite a mixed reception on here anyway from what I've seen, so BuzzJack agreeing to disagree in general laugh.gif

thank you for commenting <3 top 10 kicking off tomorrow happy.gif

QUOTE(danuary @ Jan 14 2021, 10:36 AM) *
Get Busy - such a classic of its genre. I imagine the CD single must've been deleted at some point for it to have such a randomly short chart run, if streaming were a thing it'd have had at least 20 weeks in the chart.
Make Luv - one of my absolute faves of the year definitely, funky house doesn't get much better than this classic
Damaged - interestingly I sent another cover of this into BJSC in one of my first ever contests only realising it was a new version of an old chart hit when Rich pointed it out in my national thread. I'd say I prefer this version now, being a bit more trancey.

Yessss Dan it really is! Oh yeah, that must be it as that chart run seems way too erratic otherwise. Streaming definitely would've eaten that up!
Ah yay, 'Make Luv' had quite an early exit in one of the 2000s forum polls on here, as mentioned in the commentary, so happy to find more big fans of it happy.gif
Oh wow, I think that passed me by but my excuse is that it's before my time in BJSC, will have to seek out the version you sent too!

QUOTE(Iceman501 @ Jan 14 2021, 05:16 PM) *
Given 'Damaged' a listen and it sounds great. 'Get Busy' a classic there from Sean Paul, that is still quite a tune. 'Clocks' up there with Coldplay's best, that piano riffs are iconic, I remember that song as well for a particular BBC Freeview campaign.... from 0:01-1:20. 'Make Luv' this was big in 2003 and I really liked this song sounded great, I don't hear it much now. 'Year 3000' a guilty pleasure from Busted there.

So pleased that you like 'Damaged', Mack! That seems to be getting a really good reception in general in this thread, yay. Same for 'Get Busy' and 'Clocks' actually... an unexpectedly BuzzJack friendly section it seems! I think that ad campaign was a little before my time so thanks for sharing - I find that kind of thing so interesting. 'Make Luv' was huge indeed - yesss U.K. public. I agree tbh, can't remember the last time I heard it on the radio/music channels or anything! Busted bringing the nostalgic jams *.*

QUOTE(Sergej @ Jan 15 2021, 12:46 PM) *
Hi Jade!

Here are some of the songs I like from your Year-End lists of 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003:

1999:
30. Jamiroquai - Canned Heat
29. Eiffel 65 - Blue (Da Ba Dee)
26. TLC - No Scrubs
19. Christina Aguilera - Genie In A Bottle
17. Smash Mouth - All Star
16. DJ Jurgen Presents Alice Deejay - Better Off Alone
12. The Chemical Brothers - Hey Boy Hey Girl
09. Fatboy Slim - Praise You
06. Wamdue Project - King of My Castle
05. Mr Oizo - Flat Beat
01. Fatboy Slim - Right Here, Right Now

2000:
05. Eminem - Stan (feat. Dido)
07. Fragma - Toca's Miracle
08. Moby - Porcelain
09. Coldplay - Yellow
11. Modjo - Lady (Hear Me Tonight)
16. Bomfunk MC's - Freestyler
20. Dr. Dre - Forgot About Dre (feat. Eminem)
22. Britney Spears - Stronger
23. Robbie Williams - Rock DJ
24. Darude - Sandstorm
25. Gabrielle - Rise
28. Coldplay - Trouble
29. Aaliyah - Try Again
30. Craig David - Fill Me In
36. LeAnn Rimes - Can't Fight The Moonlight
39. Daft Punk - One More Time

2001:
02. Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out Of My Head
03. OutKast - Ms. Jackson
08. Mary J. Blige - Family Affair
20. Britney Spears - I'm A Slave 4 U
22. Gorillaz - 19-2000 (Soulchild Remix)
24. Alicia Keys - Fallin'
25. Jennifer Lopez - Love Don't Cost A Thing
27. Ian Van Dahl - Castles In The Sky
28. Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood (Ed Case/Sweetie Irie Refix)
31. Eddy Grant - Electric Avenue (Ringbang Remix)
33. Nelly Furtado - I'm Like A Bird
34. Safri Duo - Played-A-Live (The Bongo Song)
37. Linkin Park - In The End
38. Missy Elliott - Get Ur Freak On
39. Shaggy - It Wasn't Me (feat. Rik Rok)

2002:
07. Holly Valance - Kiss Kiss
10. Eminem - Lose Yourself
12. Avril Lavigne - Sk8er Boi
13. P!nk - Just Like A Pill
14. Coldplay - The Scientist
16. Christina Aguilera - Dirrty (feat. Redman)
17. Shakira - Whenever, Wherever
20. Avril Lavigne - Complicated
25. Elvis vs. JXL - A Little Less Conversation
27. Coldplay - In My Place
30. Nickelback - How You Remind Me
31. Nelly - Dilemma (feat. Kelly Rowland)
33. Vanessa Carlton - A Thousand Miles
34. Justin Timberlake - Like I Love You

2003:
14. Coldplay - Clocks
15. Sean Paul - Get Busy
16. Linkin Park - Numb
18. Justin Timberlake - Rock Your Body
22. Evanescence - Bring Me To Life
23. Robbie Williams - Come Undone

Most of the songs I really like, some of them are guilty pleasures and for some songs I found new appreciation due to my new passion as a belly dancer (like "Whenever, Wherever", which I liked from the start and "Kiss Kiss", mostly for the original Tarkan song).

Can't wait to comment on the rest of your rankdowns, when I have time of course.

Ooh hello again Sergej *.* good to have you back in here!

Great to see so many highlights there - particularly for 2000 and 2001! It's great when a hobby introduces you to new music happy.gif

+Quote Post
Jade
post Tuesday, 11:14 PM
Post #465
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

10. Rachel Stevens - Sweet Dreams My L.A. Ex
(chart-run: 2-3-2-4-10-16-25-35-46-69)

09. Avril Lavigne - I'm With You
(chart-run: 7-10-15-22-27-37-41-36-51-65-58R(444))

08. Tomcraft - Loneliness
(chart-run: 1-4-5-9-13-18-24-31-39-48-71-75-74)

07. Mis-Teeq - Scandalous
(chart-run: 2-4-6-7-11-14-23-33-47-61-69)

06. Sugababes - Hole In The Head
(chart-run: 1-5-6-8-19-25-39-42-58-70-72-69-69)

Rachel Stevens kicks off the top 10 today in amongst a very female heavy section! I imagine that some of you will approve of this as Rachel was deemed a viable option for a temporary Artist Forum last year, during a Teams task. So she has her fans on here. Turns out that I was a pretty big fan myself when younger. Rewind back to my budding gymnast days and I was visiting a local gymnastics club, wanting to join. None other that Rachel herself was blasting through that hall with 'Sweet Dreams My L.A. Ex' and my mum told the coach something along the lines of "Rachel Stevens - Jade will love it here!", haha. I think this would've been about 2006. It was 'So Good' the year before that properly introduced me to Rachel. 'Sweet Dreams My L.A. Ex' evidently never got old for me as it winds up so high for 2003. What can I say, it is a sassy, well crafted-pop song that Cathy Dennis supposedly wrote during the same session as 'Toxic' by Britney Spears, so there we go, she was really on form that day. 'Sweet Dreams My L.A. Ex' was actually a Britney reject and the lyrics are quite obviously a 'Cry Me A River' response. Lines such as "Can't you stop playing that record again? Find somebody else to talk about" are particularly scathing. However, Britney didn't want to be a part of that narrative musically, so turned it down. Rachel was in the middle of recording her debut album when she was offered this. She became excited about the song and said it was unlike anything else out at the time, so she was happy to jump on board. Rachel definitely struck while the iron was hot as she recorded this just 2 weeks after S Club 7 split up. It was a smart decision though as she took it all the way to #2! She was unlucky to be blocked by the biggest song of the year 'Where Is The Love?' by The Black Eyed Peas. 'Sweet Dreams My L.A. Ex' went on to become the 22nd best selling hit of the year and a Rachel signature song, alongside the likes of 'Some Girls' and 'More, More, More'. I think it's fair to say that Jo was the best vocalist of S Club 7 but 'Sweet Dreams My L.A. Ex' does play to Rachel's strengths well. The bridge particularly pushes her voice in a positive way. This actually reminds me a little of 'No Good Advice' earlier with the feistiness, prominent guitar mixed with synth production and even a spoken middle 8. Then the video gives me slight flashes of the 'Sexy! No No No...' aesthetics with the red ribbons. That dancing segment is definitely the most striking element of the video. Rachel is firstly in a box - trapped in her relationship, then gives the 'L.A. Ex' a piece of her mind, before launching into the strong, confident moves. It was a fantastic way to launch her career. What an earworm with some electrifying production to boot - Bloodshy & Avant being behind that.

Next up Avril is back for one final moment from the 'Let Go' era. I love this record so much that all four of the singles ended up featuring in this countdown. 'I'm With You' being left until single #3 was seen as a controversial move as many thought that it was an obvious smash in waiting. Indeed it achieved a #4 peak in the U.S. and #7 here. 'I'm With You' felt like a more mature direction in sound from Avril as here she tackles a rock power-ballad with more serious lyrics. Gone is 'Sk8er Boi' slang and fellow relationship drama highlighted in 'Complicated'. Instead Avril painfully recounts the feeling of loneliness in general. This is a sentiment that feels oh-so relatable at the moment with the current levels of isolation. I've definitely felt lonely during multiple points in my life but it does particularly hit a bit differently right now. 'I'm With You' opens in a bold but beautiful way with what sounds like some kind of bowed instrument - perhaps a violin or cello. I am a sucker for that kind of sound. Some guitar licks are mixed in too. This is Avril's most daring single to date vocally also. She particularly pushes herself during the really epic middle 8. She sounds quite vulnerable up until that point where the loneliness makes her crack. The lyrics at that stage - "Oh, why is everything so confusing? Maybe I'm just out of my mind" - hit hard. The music video plays on the loneliness theme as Avril is seen wandering alone looking for somebody. The video is largely shot in slow motion but Avril's lip-synching is on point - this is because she was doing that part at double speed. This song is great for escapism and drowning your sorrows to. It has held up incredibly well over the years. Rihanna chose to sample it in her 2011 song 'Cheers (Drink To That)' during the massive 'Loud' era and I'd argue that the original, from 8 years earlier, has stood the test of time better than that has. I'm pleased that the RiRi song introduced the original to a new audience but I must admit that it's far from my favourite 'Loud' single. That honour goes to 'Man Down'. I mentioned earlier that Billie Eilish's favourite Avril song is 'Losing Grip' and the 'Let Go' era continues to receive love. This is because Avril herself cited 'I'm With You' as her favourite of her own songs in an interview! So I must applaud her taste as that's a mighty fine pick. Time to say goodbye to the 'Let Go' era but I'm sure we will be visiting 'Under My Skin' soon too.

At #8 we have the first chart-topper of this section! This is courtesy of German DJ Tomcraft who is the sole male in this section. The vocals are a reworking of 90s single 'Share The Love' by Andrea Martin so even the vocalist here is female. Well, I shall let you in on a secret - the gender imbalance sorts itself out soon as there are more males than females in the top 5. But, before we get there, we have this fantastic one hit wonder to discuss. We just talked about 'I'm With You' by Avril involving themes of loneliness and that is the case here once more with a song literally called 'Loneliness'. It's more explicit here and truly laid out on the table with lyrics such as "Happiness seems to be loneliness and loneliness killed my world" which is... even more haunting for the current state of the world than the previous song. However, unlike melancholy strings, this smash wants to slap us around the face with a pulsating techno and trance fusion. I'm on a real techno binge right now if you couldn't tell by my current BJSC entry. Indeed we reach the world of dance now. One of the layers of beats is really quite 'Kernkraft 400' by Zombie Nation which is certainly a good thing in my eyes. That of course finished at #4 for me during the 2000 countdown in this thread! When listening to this I am transported to a sweaty nightclub and that is exactly what the music video is going for, a perfect fit. That dark, piano-laden production is marvellous and the 'Share The Love' vocals work really well as she sounds pretty lost to match the lyrics. The sampling came full circle as Will Young later borrowed 'Loneliness' for his 2015 single 'Love Revolution'. I must applaud the British public for sending 'Loneliness' all the way to #1 as it really stands out amongst the dance hits of this year. Unfortunately Tomcraft couldn't properly capitalise on this success as the follow-up 'Brainwashed (Call You)' limped in at #43 and then that was pretty much it for his chart career. At least the one hit wonder he was responsible for was a brilliant one.

Now it's time for another nightclub video but with a song that has more of an R&B edge! This is Mis-teeq with their best-selling single 'Scandalous'. In my eyes the British public got that one right as this is their standout song for me by far. It wasn't their only single to peak at #2 though as 'All I Want' had done so 2 years prior too. In the case of 'Scandalous' it was blocked by 'Spirit In The Sky' by Gareth Gates & The Kumars. I can reveal that, shockingly, that hasn't made my top 5, but it does fall into guilty pleasure territory with its interesting production so I'm not completely mad. I mean, 'Sweet Dreams My L.A. Ex' lost out on a 'Record of the Year' win to 'Mandy' by Westlie which feels a lot more... scandalous. Yes, back to this song, it is one of the first that I ever bought on vinyl! I mentioned for the 'Movin Too Fast' by Artful Dodger commentary that I picked up both that and 'Scandalous' in a charity shop on my 17th birthday, the day I got my record player. So it's had a loving home for many years now. 'Scandalous' is a hit that I do actually remember at the time and it's aged so well. I feel like in the hands of Destiny's Child this could have been a U.S. smash too. But it still did really well in Europe and other territories for Mis-Teeq, of course. 'Scandalous' is pretty mischievous lyrically. The girls want a man that they can have fun with, but make no mistake, "a one night stand just ain't enough". They want both "stimulation" and "a little conversation" from the Elvis school of lyricism. Sabrina's parts are so smooth and Alesha tackles her raps with confidence as usual. The Stargate production feels really urgent with the prominent strings and siren noises. All in all this was a very exciting release from them. This section features another Britney connection, after Rachel earlier, as her 'Outrageous' was originally supposed to be the soundtrack single for 2004's 'Catwoman' movie, but Brit experienced an injury which resulted in the single's cancellation. Therefore, Mis-Teeq got that gig instead with their very punchy offering. Surprisingly the girls only had two more hits after this - #8 'Can't Get It Back' and #13 'Style', both also in 2003. I suppose the first attempt of Alesha Dixon's solo career was on the horizon. We of course know that it panned out a whole lot better second time as she can still be seen on Britain's Got Talent as a judge even now! On YouTube 'Scandalous' is currently uploaded to the Alesha Dixon channel, which is a choice. But hey, it's racked up 15 million views in 5 years on that channel, a pretty good showing for a U.K. girl-group single.

So my #6 pick has just provided me with a couple of laughs. Firstly... THAT thumbnail!! What kind of potato quality realness?! Well, I suppose it was a 2003 single uploaded to YouTube in 2007 so my expectations shouldn't have been high. Secondly, I waltz over to Wikipedia to double-check where this placed on the Billboard Hot 100 and was met with "This article is about the Sugababes song. For the fish disease, see Head and lateral line erosion" which was a random turn I was not expecting. By the way - this peaked at #96 on the Billboard Hot 100! This was the girls' only entry there. I suppose the "Ricki Lake" lyric was appropriate for an American audience - it actually introduced me to her existence. If I didn't already know about 'Hole In The Head' scraping into the Billboard Hot 100 then I'd have guessed 'About You Now' as their sole entry, with the Miranda Cosgrove cover doing quite well over there. But no, they instead had enough taste to let this scrape in! But we did even better in their home country as 'Hole In The Head' was the latest Sugababes #1 - the track to finally dislodge The Black Eyed Peas. This was the lead single from 'Three', funnily enough their third album, an excellent pick. We visited second single 'Too Lost In You' earlier as well. Check back to see if the later choices make it in for 2004. 'Hole In The Head' is an angsty song lyrically that was inspired by Keisha being cheated on. The girls wrote it with the Xenomania team, who also produced. I of course gushed over previous Xenomania Sugababes hit 'Round Round' and this is another stroke of genius. The production here is so bouncy and the lyrics are stupendously catchy to match - particularly Keisha's bridge. I think this pop and R&B fusion with a bit of an edge is what the girls do best. Of course their harmonies are on point as ever too. The video sees them looking quite rebellious with gothic clothing and heavy make-up to match. They go to a gig with a fellow group named Erased - however these guys are more interested in other girls during the show. They're having none of that, of course, so feisty scenes ensue! Some of the more naughty footage was cut from the final edit though such as Keisha giving the middle finger. The girls had now well and truly landed as the Sugababes 2.0 as this particular line-up's sophomore record really connected with the public.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Wednesday, 06:11 PM
Post #466
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

Hi Jade, oops I'm a bit behind on these! ohmy.gif

Barcelona at 30, that one I'd forgotten about, which is sad as I love Barcelona the city - though I'd never been there in 2003 - but it made my year-end 200 and peaked at 26 in my charts. Finest Dreams just peaked outside my top 40, and is another I havent heard since 2003 and need to revisit. Oddly Eple is one I do recall even though it only peaked at 27 for me, I just find Royksopp generally lovely. Busted did pretty well, year-end top 150, for a band I tend to think back on as one I wasn;t too fussed about -but they had two top 20's including Sleeping With The Light On. My Immortal was also top 150 and top 20, very much in the shadow of Bring Me To Life, but good enough.

t.A.T.u.'s Not Gonna Get Us was another "in the shadow of greatness" track, and fell just short of my 100, but loved the epic-in-ya-face Trevor Horn productions. Being Nobody snuck into my 40, I liked it, while Come Undone was Robbie's latest in his run of top 10 singles for me, at 9 and just short of the 100 - pretty good but not a classic Robbie track, beating only 4 of his singles to that date, in chart positions. Talking of Evanescence, bit of a rock classic, Bring Me To Life topped my chart and ended the year as my 21st fave of the year. Doh! just short of the top 20 just like your rundown! Black Eyed Peas, apart from Where Is The Love, had yet to grab my attention in a big way, and fell short of my top 40 weekly charts with Shut Up - but that would be changing!

Pass That Dutch isn;t one I recall much, though I liked it enough to chart it, and sadly about the same for Too Lost In You (except I do remember the tune to that one). I've got a number of 50p charity shop CD albums I havent played yet, so that might be interesting to review when I get to them - sorry Sugababes fans but the bargain bins have been filled with noughties pop acts for a few years as everyone goes streaming and chucks them out. How can you do that!? ohmy.gif Justin Timberlake was an act of the year for moi, and Rock Your Body a chart-topper and 23rd on my Year-End. I may need to revisit No Good Advice, as it was far and away my least-fave Girls Aloud single, barely making my top 60 weekly chart! Numb had a bizarre run for me, peaking at 30 first time round, then the mash-up really taking my fancy, and eventually topping my chart in 2017 after the sad loss of Chester - so during 2003 it didnt even rate in my top 200, but in total sales it's now just behind Evanescence.

Get Busy? Didn;t chart it, sorry, I have no memory of it! Clocks is fab, but then I love Coldplay, top 5 and ended at 32 for the year. Make Luv is a great dance toon, top 10 and top 100 for the year, still know it well, Year 3000 is still Busted's biggest record for me, falling a few short of the Top 100, and Plummet's is a track I need to hear! I've forgotten it - I genuinely havent heard it since 2003 but it went top 10 and comfortably inside my top 100 for the year. It's bizarre how I can know Make Luv inside-out and have forgotten all about Damaged! Playing it now....it's still only vague. I think it's because that was when I was ill with pneumonia for weeks and weeks. I was still forcing myself to listen to music and do charts in between lying on the bed feeling like death warmed up and hacking and hacking, but I wasn't really paying attention too much to music between April/May period.

Rachel Stevens made my Top 100 of the year, a great pop track that one, Avril Lavigne was a weekly chart top 20, Tomcraft peaked at 2, a fab dance track that one, 28th for the year. and Scandalous is also great, just short of my top 50 for the year. Hole In The Head was top 100 for me, one I still like a lot.

So just 5 left. All The Things She Said, Cry Me A River, Hey Ya, Move Your Feet, Danger! High Voltage!

Those would be good choices ta..... laugh.gif

+Quote Post

24 Pages V  « < 22 23 24
Reply to this topicStart new topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd January 2021 - 05:20 PM