BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> â€˜Control’
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Mr. Mondo
post 8th October 2007, 03:25 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 4,307

I am quite surprised that nobody here has mentioned the film ‘Control’ yet, especially seeing as it has already been rated by the press as ‘one of the films of the year’, as it is a ‘British’ film and as it is about the singer of one of the most important bands ever to come out of the ‘Manchester’ area.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post 9th October 2007, 10:33 AM
Post #2
Group icon
Always wear a clean pair of knickers, cos you never know when th
User: 190

Well, I've not mentioned it cos I haven't had the chance to actually see it yet..... laugh.gif But believe me, when I do, I shall be writing a very in-depth review.... Joy Division are one of my all-time favourite bands.... wink.gif

+Quote this post
richie
post 9th October 2007, 11:47 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller
User: 166

I'm looking forward to it too. Despite being released on the 5th it's not going to be shown in Aberdeen until the 12th. Typical.

+Quote this post
Mr. Mondo
post 9th October 2007, 03:47 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

QUOTE(GRIMLY FIENDISH @ Oct 9 2007, 11:34 AM) *
Well, I've not mentioned it cos I haven't had the chance to actually see it yet..... laugh.gif But believe me, when I do, I shall be writing a very in-depth review.... Joy Division are one of my all-time favourite bands.... wink.gif

I was too young to get to know ‘Joy Division’ then and too old to become obsessed by them now, but I have the ‘Substance’ compilation because I like ‘New Order’ and most of their off-shoot bands. As well as the ‘New Order’ link, I think my interest in the film comes from the locality and the fact that it is part of the history of the area where I live (Sadly, I notice in the ‘Metro’ newspaper that the film is not being shown at the cinema in Stockport which is actually around the corner from the ‘Tasty Fish’ chip shop that ‘The Other Two’ saw one day on their way home from Manchester to Macclesfield).

+Quote this post
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post 10th October 2007, 12:30 PM
Post #5
Group icon

I've finally seen this film, and I did promise a review (which I will do eventually), I'm just trying to grasp my emotions and be able to fully convey my feelings of this film... In short, I am fukkin' speechless (not something that happens often... laugh.gif )...

What I will just say is this for now -

BEST FILM OF THE FUKKIN' DECADE!!!!!

+Quote this post
tigerboy
post 11th October 2007, 12:15 AM
Post #6
Group icon
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl it's Tigerboy!
User: 210

QUOTE(GRIMLY FIENDISH @ Oct 10 2007, 01:31 PM) *
What I will just say is this for now -

BEST FILM OF THE FUKKIN' DECADE!!!!!

havent see this one as its all b&w innit, but like the AC video collection so might be something I can put up with

+Quote this post
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post 11th October 2007, 11:08 AM
Post #7
Group icon

QUOTE(tigerboy @ Oct 11 2007, 01:16 AM) *
havent see this one as its all b&w innit, but like the AC video collection so might be something I can put up with

I dont really see what the problem you have with B/W is to be honest, I think for this particular film and this particular story, B/W is the natural choice....

+Quote this post
Mother's Ruin
post 16th October 2007, 02:00 PM
Post #8
Group icon
New Entry
User: 4,558

This movie screened at the Toronto International Film Festival. I wasn't able to see it, but it looks like it will be very interesting. Joy Division are a pretty good band, if not a little overrated, possibly due to the Ian Curtis situation.

+Quote this post
Mr. Mondo
post 16th October 2007, 03:53 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

QUOTE(GRIMLY FIENDISH @ Oct 11 2007, 12:09 PM) *
I dont really see what the problem you have with B/W is to be honest, I think for this particular film and this particular story, B/W is the natural choice....

I might go and see this later, though I am not sure whether there would be an added bonus of seeing the film at a cinema with a digital screen. Has anyone seen it yet in a digital format?

+Quote this post
evilplaymobils
post 16th October 2007, 11:19 PM
Post #10
Group icon
New Entry
User: 4,567

QUOTE(Mother @ Oct 16 2007, 05:01 PM) *
This movie screened at the Toronto International Film Festival. I wasn't able to see it, but it looks like it will be very interesting. Joy Division are a pretty good band, if not a little overrated, possibly due to the Ian Curtis situation.

don't say that joy division are overrated again,they are one of the greatest all time bands.and the "Ian Curtis Situation" is what keeps joy division to the top.they will never descend,they stopped at the top.that's why they are STILL a great band.i hope you understand what i'm saying...

+Quote this post
Mother's Ruin
post 17th October 2007, 06:01 PM
Post #11
Group icon
New Entry

I really like Joy Division. But there are people that WORSHIP them. I suppose that's why they keep putting out movies and books. It's like they're vultures. Whenever a young star is snuffed out (or explodes -suicide, instead of burning out - old age) it glorifies them beyond what they may have deserved.

+Quote this post
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post 18th October 2007, 09:57 AM
Post #12
Group icon

QUOTE(Mother @ Oct 17 2007, 07:02 PM) *
I really like Joy Division. But there are people that WORSHIP them. I suppose that's why they keep putting out movies and books. It's like they're vultures. Whenever a young star is snuffed out (or explodes -suicide, instead of burning out - old age) it glorifies them beyond what they may have deserved.

Is Deborah Curtis (who wrote Ian Curtis' biography and was ruddy well married to the man, so I think she just might know what she's talking about, whaddaya you think...) a vulture...? Is Anton Corbijn (who knew Joy Division/New Order and worked with them...) a vulture...?

Have you even seen "Control"...?? Maybe you should before you start spouting off mate.... Believe me, if I thought for one second that this film was in any way a cheap cash-in or disrespectful, I'd be all over it like a rash... But it is neither of these things, yeah, it's a bit depressing, but it is ultimately an incredibly human and touching story told with actual love and respect for Curtis, and his widow Deborah was there for every part of the film's production....

Do NOT make the mistake of believing that this is some Hollywood piece of sh!t, or some OTT biopic like "Tina", "Walk The Line" or "The Doors", because it aint, it absolutely pisses on all of these films....

+Quote this post
evilplaymobils
post 18th October 2007, 11:43 AM
Post #13
Group icon
New Entry
User: 4,567

QUOTE(GRIMLY FIENDISH @ Oct 18 2007, 12:58 PM) *
Is Deborah Curtis (who wrote Ian Curtis' biography and was ruddy well married to the man, so I think she just might know what she's talking about, whaddaya you think...) a vulture...? Is Anton Corbijn (who knew Joy Division/New Order and worked with them...) a vulture...?

Have you even seen "Control"...?? Maybe you should before you start spouting off mate.... Believe me, if I thought for one second that this film was in any way a cheap cash-in or disrespectful, I'd be all over it like a rash... But it is neither of these things, yeah, it's a bit depressing, but it is ultimately an incredibly human and touching story told with actual love and respect for Curtis, and his widow Deborah was there for every part of the film's production....

Do NOT make the mistake of believing that this is some Hollywood piece of sh!t, or some OTT biopic like "Tina", "Walk The Line" or "The Doors", because it aint, it absolutely pisses on all of these films....

say it mate,say it...i am with you...

+Quote this post
Mother's Ruin
post 19th October 2007, 08:31 PM
Post #14
Group icon
New Entry

whoa man. The film hasn't come out in Canada yet. Chill out. No, I haven't seen it obviously. I'm glad you mentioned those other biopics ("Ray" too) because it's a really popular thing to do.

Now, I don't think for one second that Deborah and Anton weren't primarily motivated by $$$. And there are lots of other profiting off JD. There a pair of sneakers out there with the JD "Unknown Pleasures" logo as the sole of the shoe! Who gets paid for that?

I will see it though. I'll tell you what I think then, but going into it I think it's going to be pretty cool.

+Quote this post
GRIMLY FIENDISH
post 22nd October 2007, 10:29 AM
Post #15
Group icon

QUOTE(Mother @ Oct 19 2007, 09:32 PM) *
There a pair of sneakers out there with the JD "Unknown Pleasures" logo as the sole of the shoe! Who gets paid for that?

Well, there are Joy Division T-shirts, badges, etc being sold every day on the Camden High St market... Your point is...?

Name me a single band who doesn't do merchandising..

+Quote this post
richie
post 24th October 2007, 11:19 AM
Post #16
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller
User: 166

It's not official Joy Division merchandise those shoes...plus they were such a limited edition that no-ones making a huge amount of cash......

AND

Peter Saville ripped off that image in the first place.

Saw the film last night. Incredibly realistic, faithful to the story and with some fantastic casting especially in the scenes where they remade key performances...it's almost shot for shot identical to the original performances on So It Goes etc.

This is definitely not a cash-in, it was Corbijn's first foray into a full length picture having spent 2 decades making pop promos...he decided to start with a subject and people he knew. Wouldn't you?

As for 'why should I watch it in a cinema'? Unless you have a state of the art sound system, you need to hear the music loud - so that's why.

+Quote this post
Mother's Ruin
post 24th October 2007, 07:56 PM
Post #17
Group icon
New Entry

Here's a good link for the movie with trailers and stuff. Comes on in Canada on Friday!

Control - The Movie

+Quote this post
Mother's Ruin
post 24th October 2007, 08:00 PM
Post #18
Group icon
New Entry

This is kind of f*^%ed... I can't tell if there's a body in there or not.

Ian Curtis Body video

+Quote this post
JDL
post 25th October 2007, 12:27 AM
Post #19
Group icon
Self-announced c*nt - Just don't bother.
User: 391

F*CKING AMAZING.

+Quote this post
Mr. Mondo
post 26th October 2007, 02:40 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular

This is a very hard film for me to form an opinion about for a number of reasons.

Firstly, I am from Cheshire and was a student in Manchester, so this film is part of the history of the area where I have lived and worked.

I am a fan of ‘New Order’, ‘Electronic’, ‘The Other Two’ and ‘Monaco’, so it is part of the history of the bands of love, though I am also a fan of ‘Depeche Mode’, ‘U2’, Billy Mackenzie and ‘INXS’, which may or may not be an important factor as well in my review.

As this is a ‘cinema’ thread and not the one in the ‘indie’ section, I think on this occasion I must try to detach my love of the music contained within from that of the narrative, and not base my opinions on the icon.

Even though I was expecting great things from this film, I did not like this kind of ‘social realism’ at all. I found the film a chore to watch and was thankful when it was over. I was not entertained by the narrative even though this may have been the definitive story of all the events that had happened.

I think it was because the film was directed by an iconic photographer, it was more like observing an art installation rather than the ‘gripping’ feature it should be or maybe it was simply because that 1960s style social realism is not something I would be normally bothered about.

I do not know what everybody’s opinions are on films such as ‘Cathy Come Home’, but I know if ‘Control’ was showing on ‘Film4’ and I had switched on to it unaware at a non-musical point, I know I would have switched over to ‘Dave’ before the five minutes was up.

Also, I did not care for some of the acting especially as the offstage portrayal of the band made them look more like rejects from Jarvis Cocker’s ‘Bad Cover’ video than ‘Joy Division’. I know the filmmakers would not want to go to heavily down the ‘looky-likey’ route, but I felt there was something missing from some of the characters that we know. However, whilst Bernard looked like he was ‘Dick Grayson’ waiting for ‘Batman’ and with a drummer picked up at random from ‘The Tasty Fish’, the film did have good portrayals of Curtis and Hook, though Wilson and Gretton were awful. Not only would the film have benefited by having Paddy Considine as Gretton here, but actually it would have been better having Steve Coogan’s ‘mock’ (turtle) Tony Wilson as well.

At this point, with these characterisations, it was starting to feel like I was watching Lucas and Walliam’s ‘Rock Profile’ on an old black and white television, whilst ‘Crackerjack’ laughing from the younger members of the audience did not help matters.

Even though there was a level of immaturity coming from the back rows, where rude words were concerned, it is good to see that the film attracted a large number of teenage viewers, though as Curtis is like Manchester’s Cobain and with Factory still a huge part of Manchester’s ‘mythology’, it is culture that students are very aware of here in this part of the country.

Whilst I would not recommend this film to anyone, apart from those students who would want end up ‘chin-stroking’ with C.P. Lee on a late night ‘After Dark’ arts discussion programme, I would definitely recommend the soundtrack. I would also recommend the excellent ’24 Hour Party People’, not only because it is more relevant to the rock history I have lived through, but because I feel that is a better filmed account of that history, even though in most cases it is the exaggerated ‘legend’ that is being shown rather than the actual truth.

‘Control’ – 2/5
The Soundtrack - 5/5
’24 Hour Party People’ – 5/5

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 05:57 PM