BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> ThePensmith's Top 20 Singles Chart, Week ending 26th April 2019
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
ThePensmith
post 26th April 2019, 10:38 AM
Post #1
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208

Hello one, hello all. Hope you're all OK today - time to bring you this week's personal top 20 from yours truly. Don't forget if you missed seeing how my top 20 of the year so far looks you can go check that out on the Countdowns forum when you've got a minute, just click here. The Veronicas debuted emphatically at number one last week but has the might of new entries from Rak-Su and Avicii proved too much of a challenge to their time at the top? Here's where we find out...

THEPENSMITH'S TOP 20 SINGLES CHART
Week ending 26th April 2019
© AM LIMITED 2019

1. (HNE) RAK-SU - Yours or Mine
2. (NE) AVICII FEAT. ALOE BLACC - SOS
3. (1) THE VERONICAS - Think Of Me
4. (2) JONAS BROTHERS - Sucker
5. (7) OLLY MURS - Feel The Same
6. (NE) ELLIE GOULDING - Sixteen
7. (3) BUSTED - Shipwrecked In Atlantis
8. (NE) LSD - Heaven Can Wait
9. (5) EMMA BUNTON FEAT. JADE JONES - You're All I Need To Get By
10. (8) MABEL - Don't Call Me Up

11. (6) MOLLY HOCKING - I'll Never Love Again
12. (4) WESTLIFE - Better Man
13. (9) JESS GLYNNE - No One
14. (10) P!NK - Walk Me Home
15. (11) KELLY CLARKSON - Broken & Beautiful
16. (NE) WARD THOMAS - One More Goodbye
17. (12) LAUV FEAT. JULIA MICHAELS - There's No Way
18. (NE) MATE - Life
19. (13) ALPHABEAT - Shadows
20. (16) NOW UNITED FEAT. BADSHAH - How We Do It

Compiled from my own personal listening in the last seven days across streaming, digital and physical formats.

KEY

(1) - last week's position
(HNE) - highest new entry
(NE) - new entry
(RE) - re-entry

CHART COMMENTARY

A new week, and once again a brand new number one, as after just seven days in control, The Veronicas are unseated from the top of my chart by one band who - save for a largely forgotten festive flop last Christmas - are guaranteed to if not hit the top, at least make the top 3 every time out. Rak-Su's sixth single in as little as sixteen months gives the former X Factor champs their second number one as 'Yours or Mine' follows last October's 'I Want You To Freak' to the summit.

That single however, did so in its fourth week on my chart, making this catchy 90s slow jam inspired number their first single to enter at the top. The boyband are shortly to head out on the road again as support act to Olly Murs (climbing back up two to #5 this week with his four week old 'Feel The Same') for his new arena tour which starts next Wednesday in Aberdeen.

Myles, Jamaal, Ashley and Mustafa were run very close all week however, by the record that debuts at #2. A year on since his tragic passing at the age of 28, the first posthumous release from Swedish superstar DJ and producer Tim Bergling - better known as Avicii - has been unveiled, and is his second record to feature the vocals of Aloe Blacc. The first of course was 'Wake Me Up', which hit the top of my chart in July 2013 for four weeks and was that year's third biggest single.

'SOS' is the first single from 'Tim', the album he had begun work on before his death, due for release in June, and proceeds from the record are being donated to a charitable foundation set up in his honour to help raise awareness of mental health. It's #2 entry means he for now fails to join a list that includes Aaliyah, Elvis Presley and David Bowie - namely, artists who reached the top of my chart after they passed away.

Ellie Goulding scores a third consecutive top 10 hit from her upcoming fourth album this week, and the highest charting so far as 'Sixteen' enters not at the number in the song's title, but instead ten places ahead of that at #6. It follows 'Close To Me' with Diplo and Swae Lee (#7 in December) and 'Flux' (#9 in February). Speaking of Diplo, LSD - the supergroup consisting of himself, Labrinth and Sia - released their third single 'Heaven Can Wait' last week. However, despite it becoming their third top 10 hit with a #8 entry, it fails to match the chart topping success of last September's 'Thunderclouds' or the #2 of its follow up 'Mountains' from February.

Having just completed their third UK tour and currently supporting David Gray on his Australian tour, country pop sisters Ward Thomas notch up the fourth top 20 hit from their current album 'Restless Minds'. However, 'One More Goodbye' is the lowest charting of the four so far, debuting at this week's #16. The others: 'Lie Like Me' (#3 last August), 'Never Know' (#12 in October) and 'No Filter' (#10 in January).

Following the #9 peak for his first single 'Myself' back in February, former Loveable Rogues star Eddie Brett, now trading as mate, enjoys a second solo hit but enters nine places below that debut as our final newcomer this week at #18 with 'Life' - not a cover of the Des'ree song of the same name from 1998, you will note.

FLASHBACK TOP 10
Your chance to see how my personal top 10 was looking on this week in the last 20 years. This week in 2003: Madonna smashes in at the top, plus classic hits from Room 5 with Oliver Cheatham, Blur and Robbie Williams

1. (HNE) MADONNA - American Life

2. (1) ROOM 5 FEAT. OLIVER CHEATHAM - Make Luv
3. (NE) BLUR - Out of Time
4. (NE) ROBBIE WILLIAMS - Come Undone
5. (2) KYM MARSH - Cry
6. (3) JUNIOR SENIOR - Move Your Feet
7. (4) MIS-TEEQ - Scandalous
8. (5) AVRIL LAVIGNE - I'm With You
9. (6) DANIEL BEDINGFIELD - I Can't Read You
10. (7) DELTA GOODREM - Born To Try

This post has been edited by ThePensmith: 26th April 2019, 10:41 AM
Go to the top of this page