BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Silas' 365 Days of BJSC, A countdown to 100 contests
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Silas
post 5th November 2016, 01:48 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474
Hej alés! Hello all!

To countdown to our 100th contest I've decided to take a wander down memory lane each day posting some entries that I still f***ing love/hate (not all mine! and I will try and spread the love/hate as wide as possible) and every now and then some random memories of scandals and big moments from BJSC history.

Every Friday I'll post a "guest blog" so please feel free to pm submissions my way and I'll publish the first 52, legible, submissions that I receive over the course of the year. (if there's enough demand I will happily add extra days)

Day 1

Starting us off is probably my favourite out and out true BJSC discovery of all time. The insanely brilliant 'Smack Me' by Liverpudlian's Untouched is often overlooked in BJSC as a song deserving of legend status. Back in the earliest days of the contest participation was already starting to wane - BJSC IV only had 20 entrants!!! - and there was talk that the powers that be - at that time Kopečka, Bhangra & Bokia - were going to push the break between contests to an entire month. A motion that gathered little opposition until a particular release of music week complete with promotional CD. The Former Scandinavian Republic of Rontvia, the recipients of said CD, then pushed very enthusiastically for the 6th contest to be held on the normal schedule for they had a song that simply could not wait.

The 6th contest was held as originally planned and Smack Me was unleashed. That contest is notable for the increase in peripheral activities including many a scandal surrounding the Kopečk entrants, Serebro, in the contests first Green Room. What followed was a rapid increase in participation (29>41) and the introduction of 2 semi's to cope with the influx. You can start to see the shape of the modern contest from here marking the first two era's of BJSC. The pre-Untouched era (BJSC I-V) and the post-Untouched era (VI->XXVIII)

You owe a lot more than you think to a trashy AF Liverpudlian duo.

Untouched - Smack Me (FSR Rontvia)

To compliment the amazing Smack Me is the song that gave me the idea for this thread. The superb 'Never Be' by Australian Meg Mac. Harmonica's top 10 debut, just a few contests ago, is still a firm fave.

Meg Mac - Never Be (Harmonica)
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 5th November 2016, 03:26 PM
Post #2
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
What a brilliant idea! I'll look forward to the rest of the posts.

(also would certainly be up for submitting a 'guest post' at one point or another, it would be talking about a discovery like that first post right?)

Smack Me, very natural start for the history of this place, and a fun song. Definitely agree that the lists of songs and the contest in general looks like a more exciting prospect from VI onwards. Never Be is quite the tune too, a good little pop highlight from this year.

+Quote this post
Riser
post 5th November 2016, 04:30 PM
Post #3
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534
I wouldn't have expected to be in this thread at all, let alone the first post. ohmy.gif 'Never Be' is definitely the most important song in Harmonica's history so we appreciate the recognition biggrin.gif

'Smack Me' certainly looks appealing, I'll listen later when I'm done voting in this contest. I'll think of a good memory for a guest submission too!

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 5th November 2016, 04:44 PM
Post #4
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308
I'm in for one of those guest posts!

This seems like a really good idea, and it would direct some more traffic here every day biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
danG
post 5th November 2016, 05:27 PM
Post #5
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
I'll have to think of what to write a guest post about.

Which one of my entries was the most influential? thinking.gif

+Quote this post
Silas
post 6th November 2016, 05:46 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Queen of Soon
Thanks guys!

Iz, the guest posts can be about anything BJSC related at all. Discoveries, memories, your own entires... just as long as it's BJSC!

Day 2 will be up after the SF Results.

+Quote this post
seven.
post 5th November 2017, 12:26 AM
Post #7
Group icon
i can only do one normal thing a day
User: 14,428
Day 365

For this birthday edition it seems only fitting to dedicate it to Ethan, a BJSC icon who hasn't been with us for the last 365 days. "2685" is an important and meaningful entry to myself and many others, it boasts banging beats with intricate melodies and a pop sensibility. R.I.P. Ethanola, your absence has truly been felt heart.gif

+Quote this post
Oliver
post 5th November 2017, 12:27 AM
Post #8
Group icon
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
User: 15,367
Good riddance.

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 5th November 2017, 12:27 AM
Post #9
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835
Omg we got here in the end great read cheer.gif

+Quote this post
danG
post 5th November 2017, 12:28 AM
Post #10
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746
A thread. *_

(iconic Ethanola entry there)

+Quote this post
Brer
post 5th November 2017, 12:28 AM
Post #11
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300
'2685' heart.gif a truly magnificent musical masterpiece

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 5th November 2017, 12:30 AM
Post #12
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308
Ethan has been described by most as “radical and batshit crazy” and “possibly the worst person on the planet” but many were entranced by either his winner “Free Tibet”, him sending long songs that took up generally all of our free time in the plug listenthroughs, and complete batshit crazy songs such as this. He has survived long enough to bring all three, up to the point where Silas happily pulled the trigger.

He is survuved by his only winner and his opinions which pretty much go over Dan’s head. Ethan, may God have mercy on your soul. Send us some postcards from hell.

+Quote this post
m
post 5th November 2017, 06:47 AM
Post #13
Group icon
I asked for my account to be banned
User: 7,132
I totally went to check if I voted for that. sleep.gif I did, 2 pts. So did Seven, 6 pts. tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Silas
post 5th November 2017, 09:01 AM
Post #14
Group icon
Queen of Soon
I pulled no such trigger. He isn’t banned from the contest he just couldn’t handle people on BuzzJack not agreeing with his hateful, discriminatory, backwards and disgusting views. Because after all there’s more to people than their music taste x

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 04:57 PM